Avatar: Elemental Dystrophy [Rated PG-16]

Dad

Yao didn't feel right, leaving Tae Jin behind to go spying on somebody. He didn't really consider himself the spying type, either, but Mimi probably was. Mimi was better than him at a lot of things. It was pretty humbling, not that he had ever needed to be humbled. He knew full well how much he sucked at most things.

Thankfully, there was nothing to be worried over, and Tae Jin came back safely. He rushed right over after seeing her. "Tae Jin! Thank goodness you're okay," not caring how odd it would look, he hugged her briefly. After all, he hadn't been sure if he would ever see her again, and he had gotten pretty attached to her over the course of this trip. It had been a frantic search for help, but it looked like things were looking up.

And that's when he realized Karina was missing. His heart sank at the thought. That he had forgotten about her. "Oh no..." he whispered.

When Jeaunau mentioned splitting up, Tae Jin interrupted with a mouthful of food. "Oo unt uf to spit up? Ishn't that gonna be danderous?" She paused to let Jeaunau answer. "I mean, we just got back together and look at the trouble we managed to get into. I think if we are going to split up we should at least know all we can before we decide to 'split up into teams of two'."

"I agree with Tae Jin. What if somebody falls into another sinkhole? Or gets strung up in trap again? Or poisoned?" Yao didn't like the idea at all, honestly. Though if he could choose someone to pair up with, it'd be Tae Jin. No offense to the others, but the two seemed to work well together, and he knew a bit more about her than the rest. Not to mention she was easy to get along with. And...if he was being honest, he was still concerned about her, and wasn't too thrilled at the idea of letting her out of his sight again. Imagining her, all by herself in that sinkhole, was...scary.

After all was said and done, Tae Jin turned to Yao. "I'm going with you, wherever your headed. I, uh, I want to make sure you're, um, safe." Looking to Mimi, she gave the Lion-Dragon a pat. "And you too, of course." 

"Oh?Yao felt a little warm inside at that. "That's...thanks. And I'll be doing the same. Making sure you're safe, I mean."

Mimi purred, rubbing her head up against Tae Jin's hand.

"So if Tae Jin, Mimi, and I are a team, and Udal is staying behind, one team won't have enough people. Do we have any plans for that?" Honestly, after what Udal told him, he wasn't the most comfortable with having Jeaunau with another person, but having him by himself could be troublesome too. Sending Mimi with the lone one out might end up being the best choice. "Also, do we have any plans for who's going after which tribe? I'm not the best at fighting, though I don't know about Tae Jin, so I'd rather not take on the Okrin Je, if that's possible."

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Udal scratched his chest again.  That meant he was thinking.  He sighed, wiping his mouth  and taking a big swig of water, then gulping loudly.  "You're right," he said finally.  "Splitting up is dangerous.  But it's the fastest method for us to cover ground, and find Karina.  I'll take Jeaunau here and we'll cover which ever camp you all don't want."

Jeaunau immediately sat up.  "Now what now?"

Udal continued despite Jeaunau's clear disagreement with this sudden change of plans.  "We'll be on the ground working, just like you.  And if anything happens, you can come to us.  Jeaunau obviously knows a bit more about the island than we do.  We can deal with poisons and things like that as they appear.  It'll be a hell of a lot easier this time."

Jeaunau sighed.  He clearly wasn't getting out of this.  "Well, if I must.  I was already a bit reserved about the whole expedition, but I can see that you need my help."  He let out a weary smile, before turning back to his kitchen.  "I'll prepare a little something for all of us to take along on our separate expose's, just in case.  I have a feeling we'll need them."

Jeaunau reluctantly walked past his hand-made 'kitchen', and rummaged through a large metal trunk with a large, rust covered red cross over its lid.  He began taking out empty glass vials, pre-packaged needles still in their wrapping, some bindings, and a strangely colored gray-orange paste.  He closed the trunk, then came back into his kitchen, where he pulled from his supplies three coconuts and six oddly shaped fruit.  They were pink in color, but they resembled children's toy rubber balls, but with many knots and clots protruding from their surfaces.

"Udal, would you mind?" Jeaunau asked, gesturing at the coconuts.  Udal nodded, as Jeaunau opened the tiny glass vials.  

"The whole thing, doc?"

"Nono.  A pin sized hole, if you could.  I'm going to preserve as much of the milk as I can, but I'll need you to fill all three of these vials about half-way.  The coconut milk along with the juices of this papanrye fruit make enough anti-venom for each of us.  These are the last of the fruits I have.  The only way to get them is from the Southern Water Tribe, sadly."

Udal followed Jeaunau's instructions carefully, using his metal fingers to punch a hole as small as he could in the coconut, and filling three of the vials with coconut milk.  Jeaunau followed behind Udal immediately, squeezing the papanrye fruit into the coconut milk, before sealing the vials and shaking them carefully.

He lay three vials and six needles to the side, with three bindings each.  "There's enough for two anti-venom doses.  Hopefully, you won't need more than one each," he said with a careful smile.  "And of course, I won't send you out hungry.  I've a small supply of cured pork.  And of course, Tae Jin, you're free to take whatever vegetables and fruits you'd like.  Apples, oranges, potatoes, and whatever is in the garden, below the tree, outside.  I have spare canteens you can use as well.  I'll fill them tonight."

Udal sighed, shaking his head.  "You're really coming through for us Jeaunau.  Thank you.  I can't repay ya, but hopefully I can get you off of this island."

Jeaunau waved a hand.  "Think nothing of it.  All I'd like to do is report my findings back in Republic City.  Now then," Jeaunau said, standing and yawning.  "Oh my, excuse me.  Ah, yes.  Let's talk about the camps."

Jeaunau went on to explain the location of each Okrin Camp.  The Okrin Sa were closest by, located East of Jeaunau's treehouse, near the edge of the forest.  The Okrin Je were located near the cover where Anyu and Shinya washed up.  They had already encountered them by accident.  The Okrin Fo were located furthest away, to the south of the island.

Udal stood up and stretched, taking a good hard look at his crew.  "Tae Jin, Yao.  You guys have already made your decision.  Take Mimi, and I'd like you to handle the Okrin Sa camp.  Being a nomad, Tae Jin, I suspect this is right for you."  He turned to Shinya and Anyu, who rightfully shot him a glare.  "Sorry you two, but you're stuck together.  And since you've already dealt with Okrin Je, I'm gonna need you to meet them again.  Doc and I will head south.  We can meet back here with whatever we find out."

Jeaunau sighed.  He carefully wrapped the cured meats in some seaweed, and left equal portions for all three parties.  And finally, using his bending to pull moisture from the air, he filled three canteens with water, and set them aside.  "Get some rest everyone.  We've a rescue to perform tomorrow."

They slept until the wee hours of the morning, when Udal arose first.  As each team awoke and prepared themselves, Udal and Jeaunau saw them off, bidding each team good luck.  They would arrive at their separate camps and begin their investigations as soon as possible.  Jeaunau and Udal left last, and headed south.

Shinya's lucky stars truly were shining on him today...after all, he was just saved from being poisoned by Jugo's spear. Still, it was a team effort that he was saved. Jeaunau did the bulk of the healing process, whilst the bulk of the help came from Anyu. Shinya definitely felt like he was in their debt now.

Nevertheless, through his, he and Anyu now a new mission, by a glaring Udal: head to Okrin Je to talk to the natives and probably find Karina. Sure they fought one of the Okrin Je tribe members...but they barely held their own. But as nervous as he was...he had to do it.

x393wz.jpg

"Okrin Je..." Shinya sighed, seeing the small village camp. Looking at Anyu, he nodded before slowly taking their first steps towards the village.

"HALT!"

Shinya flinched a bit, before seeing two guards holding similar spears that Jugo had held. He began to feel uneasy now about seeing them. It seemed like the two guards started saying some stuff in the same language and dialect as Jugo.

"P-Please...we don't mean any harm." Shinya said, holding out his hands as he slowly backed up. "We need to speak with whoever is in charge...please, it might be a matter of life or death."

The morning came much to quickly for Tae Jin. She woke up feeling sore and sluggish, her muscles still cramped from being down in that hole for so long. Yao and her would be heading east to the Okrin Sa. Tae Jin felt Udal was right to put them on this mission. They had already proven themselves able to haggle at the market and Tae Jin had been moving around and meeting new people her entire life. Despite the uneasiness in her stomach, she was sure they could do this. They had to, for Karina's sake.

Once Yao had awoken, the two of them, Mimi in tow, headed out towards where the natives would be found. The hard reality of the situation didn't seem to slow down Tae Jin's mouth. If anything, she was more talkative on the way over. "Did you know that there are a group of Waterbenders that live in a swamp in the Earth Kingdom? I visited them once. The Foggy Swamp Tribe. They were really, really nice. They kept catgators as pets and could use their waterbending to control plants. And they are super spiritual, even the monks I was traveling with thought so. Do you think that the Okrin Sa will be anything like that? I hope they are really, really nice."

Before long, they could see the farming settlement. It was still early morning so people were out tending to their fields. Tae Jin thought she spotted some people that might be guards...or rather look-outs, they didn't move like guards usually did, but they kept their heads on a swivel. "No one appears to be heavily armed..." She muttered.

"Let's go talk to them." Without waiting for a response, Tae Jin moved towards the village. Her approach definitely caught the attention of several of the look-outs as they pointed in her direction, notifying those around them of the visitor. However, Tae Jin didn't pay them any mind. She walked over to a group of three women, each carrying large baskets of fruit and introduced herself.

"My name is Tae Jin, sorry to bother you, but do you think you could help me find my friend?" 

Okrin Je

Two guards crossed their spears, forming a large, blocking 'X' to the camp.  A third guard stepped forwards, analyzing Shinya and Anyu.  They clearly were not native to the island, nor were they from other camps.  "And who might you be, to demand an audience with the Chieftain?" he questioned.  Like most of the other natives, he was a darker skinned man, covered in tribal tattoos and paint, his actual face hidden beneath colors of red, white, and black strewn about him in a striped pattern.  

"Life or death?" he said taking a few more steps forward, his spear now in range of Shinya and Anyu.  "You are not Okrin.  You are not of Okrin Island.  You have no value or merit here.  Your lives mean nothing to us.  And this will be your only warning," he said placing the butt of his spear firmly into the soil.  "Leave us.  You are trespassing, and our Chieftain is much more concerned with the life and possible death of one our own.  His son has been missing for more than a day now.  He has no time for tourists."

The guard glared down at Shinya and Anyu, waiting for them to depart.  "Be gone."

Okrin Sa

In the early morning, they tended to their daily routine.  Plowing the fields, moving crops, and preparing for the day.  But on this most unusual of days, they had visitors.  The Okrin differed from camp, to camp.  The Okrin Sa, while much less belligerent, were very reserved.  Though visitors were welcome--should they stumble upon Okrin Island--it was uncommon for them to simply integrate into the camp and do as they pleased.  The Okrin Sa Camp was the most quiet, and reserved of the Okrin Camps.  They kept mostly to themselves, and required nothing from the others.  They had the most resourceful home on the island, being nearest the island's river, and having fertile soil.  With an abundance of fruits and vegetables at their fingertips, they had no reason to hunt except before the winter.

What was most unique about the Okrin Sa camp was that there were very few men among them.  The Camp was mostly women, outnumbering the men forty to seven.  One male guard, three farmers, one male adviser, and two attendants to the village Chieftain, who's tent sat in the center of the camp, closed and silent.

Unlike the males of the Okrin, the females did not wear paints or tattoos, unless they were apart of the Okrin Je Camp.  The Okrin Sa women were silent at first, looking to Tae Jin, then to each other.  They giggled a bit, and the tallest of them took the fruit baskets and disappeared into a tent on the west side of the camp.  When she emerged again, she hugged the other two women, whispering among them.  They nodded, and left her alone with Tae Jin, going back to tending to their crops.

The lone Okrin Sa woman acknowledged Tae Jin at last, her fur and grass skirt twisting as she approached.  "Forgive me dear, we don't get a lot of visitors.  You're quite an uncommon sight, especially bringing a lion-dragon with you," she said with a smile.  "I am Isha*.  I may be able to assist you, but I will make no promises.  Do you understand?"

Isha's eyes were a deep emerald green.  Her hair was jet black and reached just below her shoulders.  Her brown skin was soft and silky, like she had just emerged from the river.  She wore a high cut grey fur top, different from the other brown fur tops that the rest of the Okrin Sa women wore.  She also had a string of pearls around her neck, that no other woman of the Okrin Sa Camp had.  "You said you were . . . looking for your friend?" Her voice was soft, and welcoming.  "We do not move about the island very often.  We have no need to.  The women of this camp do not often wander outside of the camp.  However, it is possible that Kin* has seen something, or heard something.  He is our only guard.  You should speak with him first."

Kin heard his name, and accidentally glanced in Isha's direction.  She grinned at him, and he immediately turned around to face outside of the camp.  Isha sighed, and called to him. "Kin, don't be shy.  These people need our help.  Tend to them, will you?"

He mumbled something under his breath, to which Isha replied, "What was that?"

"N-nothing Lady Isha.  I will of course assist them as you wish," he barked, still facing the outside of the camp.  

She ushered them to Kin, who was standing guard at the camp's open entrance.  "Go on, he doesn't bite.  I would know," she said, waving goodbye to Tae Jin and her companion.  Kin, who was still silently standing guard, finally turned to face Tae Jin and Yao.  Without looking at Tae Jin, he stared at Yao, nervously.  "I'll-I'll-I'll help you on one condition," he said, stooping down and lowering himself as to whisper to them both (though he still nervously only looked at Yao).  "C-can--oh dear," he gulped.  "Can you help me conquer my fear?  I really like Lady Isha.  B-b-b-b-b-but I'm not good at t-t-t-talking to girls.  I c-c-c-can't even look them in the face."

Okrin Fo

"Is that it?" Udal asked, his eyebrow raised.

Jeaunau nodded.  "That's them.  The Okrin Fo camp.  Small, I know.  But they're a tricky bunch.  I've encountered them twice and sent me through utter chaos to acquire some of the things I needed.  It'll be quite a journey."

Udal stood up from his hiding position in the brush, and casually walked out towards the camp.  "Udal, wait!" Jeaunau called, stretching out a hand.  He waited behind to see what Udal was doing, and what would happen.

Udal heard branches above him creak, and he immediately raised his head.  There were three men with hand made bows, knocked, in the trees with their sights on Udal.  He raised his hands, and stood in place.  The archers said nothing, but in front of Udal, an Okrin male approached him, spear in hand.  "What business have you brought us, friend?" he asked Udal, who turned his head to each of the archers, then down to the man in front of him.

"This how you welcome your friends?" Udal asked.

The man nodded.  "We don't trust friends.  Only brothers.  What is it you want?"

Udal sighed, his hands still raised.  "Information."

The man looked to the archers, then down to Udal.  "Information?  You want me to give information to an outsider?"

Udal looked around, and saw that Jeaunau was still hiding.  He must have seen this coming.  "It's important.  A girl's life may be in danger.  I need to find her."

The Okrin man raised a hand, and waved the archer's off.  They lowered their bows, and disappeared into the trees.  "Very well.  I'll help you."

Udal let out a sigh of relief.  "Thank you.  I--"

"For the right price," the Okrin man finished.

Udal let out a "Hmph."  He folded his arms, as the Okrin man showed him into the small, enclosed camp of the Okrin Fo.  Jeaunau stood up slowly, and inched his way around the outside of the camp, to try and keep an eye on Udal.

Isha - pronounced --Ee-shuh

Kin - pronounced like Ken

"Life or death? You are not Okrin. You are not of Okrin Island. You have no value or merit here. Your lives mean nothing to us. And this will be your only warning. Leave us. You are trespassing, and our Chieftain is much more concerned with the life and possible death of one our own. His son has been missing for more than a day now. He has no time for tourists. Be gone."

Shinya sighed heavily, looking at the guards before turning on his heel. As he walked back to speak to Anyu, he stopped suddenly as he heard the guards speak.

"Jugo should be punished at least. Making his father worry like this."

The Fire Nation man looked at Anyu and his face turned a bit pale. Jugo? Did they just say Jugo??! he thought, feeling his heart beating quite a bit. sheet...sheet...sheet!! Shinya moved closer to Anyu before whispering. "The missing son...it's Jugo. ...And well...we sort of saw to it. Damn...what do you think we should do now, Anyu?" he paused, looking over his shoulder at the scowling guards. "Cause I'll tell you one thing...just saying that we killed him isn't a good idea."

owVl5FN.png

"HALT!"

Okrin Je. In the interest of finding Karina, Udal had sent Anyu and Shinya to investigate this place. Since they'd apparently already deal with these people before. However, as one may expect, they weren't going to be allowed to just waltz into the camp. They'd been stopped by two guards with spears similar to Jugo's...and were speaking similarly to Jugo. If these guards were anything like Jugo had been, this wasn't going to be easy.

"P-Please...we don't mean any harm. We need to speak with whoever is in charge...please, it might be a matter of life or death."

"Life or death? You are not Okrin. You are not of Okrin Island. You have no value or merit here. Your lives mean nothing to us. And this will be your only warning. Leave us. You are trespassing, and our Chieftain is much more concerned with the life and possible death of one our own. His son has been missing for more than a day now. He has no time for tourists. Be gone."

Shinya then seemed to hear something. Judging by what he then said to Anyu, it wasn't good.

"The missing son...it's Jugo. ...And well...we sort of saw to it. Damn...what do you think we should do now, Anyu? Cause I'll tell you one thing...just saying that we killed him isn't a good idea."

Dammit. Taking a deep breath, Anyu nodded toward Shinya, and whispered back "I'll handle this." The girl then walked back up to the guards with a distinct look on her face as if she'd just remembered something. She hesitated a bit, making sure to choose her next words carefully. "Oh that's right, I saw somebody with spears like yours not long ago! About...this tall, right?" Anyu asked, raising her hand to around where she recalled Jugo's height being. "Bushy eyebrows, beard kind of a mess? Wore a jawbone on his jaw? Is that your guy?"

Yao couldn't help but be reassured when Udal said he'd be going with Jeaunau, leaving Mimi with them. He'd like to believe that Jeaunau was as friendly and good-willed as he seemed, but...well, he'd blame Udal for his newfound paranoia. When he received the coconuts, he looked at them askance. Coconut milk served as anti-venom? You learn something new every day, he thought.

Afterward, the explorer explained the locations of the camps. As he listened, Yao wondered which camp he and Tae Jin would go to. Afterward, Udal stood up and stretched. "Tae Jin, Yao.  You guys have already made your decision.  Take Mimi, and I'd like you to handle the Okrin Sa camp.  Being a nomad, Tae Jin, I suspect this is right for you." Yao breathed a silent sigh of relief. Crisis averted. This would play more to their strengths than their weaknesses.

On the way, Tae Jin was rather talkative. "Did you know that there are a group of Waterbenders that live in a swamp in the Earth Kingdom? I visited them once. The Foggy Swamp Tribe. They were really, really nice. They kept catgators as pets and could use their waterbending to control plants. And they are super spiritual, even the monks I was traveling with thought so. Do you think that the Okrin Sa will be anything like that? I hope they are really, really nice."

Yao was more skeptical. Perhaps he was a little bit biased, but he couldn't help but wonder if they'd really be as nice as she was saying. "They sound nice," he said, "and I hope the Okrin Sa will be like that, but we have to be prepared if they're not." He wasn't particularly strong or fierce, and neither was Tae Jin. Actually, Mimi was probably the best able to take care of herself if anything went south, which was kind of sad. But then again, that just showed how competent and wonderful his friend was.

Before long, they could see the farming settlement in the pale light of morning. There were a couple people looking around, so probably look-outs. "No one appears to be heavily armed..." Tae Jin muttered beside him. "Let's go talk to them." She started moving toward the village right afterward, causing Yao a bit of a heart attack. Her approach definitely caught the attention of several of the look-outs as they pointed in her direction, notifying those around them of the visitor. However, this didn't seem to bother the nomad, who walked over to a group of three women, each carrying large baskets of fruit and introduced herself. "My name is Tae Jin, sorry to bother you, but do you think you could help me find my friend?"

As she spoke, Yao looked around, noticing that there seemed to be...very few men here. That's...odd, he thought. Wonder why that is. Could the men be away right now?

The Okrin Sa women giggled amongst themselves, one of them putting her fruit basket away before approaching the air nomad. "Forgive me dear, we don't get a lot of visitors.  You're quite an uncommon sight, especially bringing a lion-dragon with you," she said with a smile.  "I am Isha.  I may be able to assist you, but I will make no promises.  Do you understand?"

Mimi perked up at the words "lion-dragon" and approached from the side, making a curious warble.

Yao observed the woman discreetly as she spoke. Very pretty, and probably special if she were the one to seek out and talk to them. The gray fur top and string of pearls around her neck reinforced that decision. "You said you were . . . looking for your friend?" Her voice was soft and friendly.  "We do not move about the island very often.  We have no need to.  The women of this camp do not often wander outside of the camp.  However, it is possible that Kin has seen something, or heard something.  He is our only guard.  You should speak with him first."

Kin heard his name, and accidentally glanced in Isha's direction.  She grinned at him, and he immediately turned around to face outside of the camp.  Isha sighed, and called to him. "Kin, don't be shy.  These people need our help.  Tend to them, will you?"

He mumbled something under his breath, to which Isha replied, "What was that?"

"N-nothing Lady Isha.  I will of course assist them as you wish," he barked, still facing the outside of the camp. 

Are men not allowed to look at women or something here? Yao wondered. If that were the case, then he was being a bit rude himself. Setting his eyes to the side like Kin had, the brunette followed the woman toward the guard.

"Go on, he doesn't bite.  I would know," she said, waving goodbye to them.  Kin, who was still silently standing guard, finally turned to face Tae Jin and Yao.  Without looking at Tae Jin, he stared at Yao, nervously.  "I'll-I'll-I'll help you on one condition," he said, stooping down and lowering himself as to whisper to them both, though Yao noticed he was avoiding any chance of looking at Tae Jin.  "C-can--oh dear," he gulped.  "Can you help me conquer my fear?  I really like Lady Isha.  B-b-b-b-b-but I'm not good at t-t-t-talking to girls.  I c-c-c-can't even look them in the face."

So it's not a custom then, Yao realized, feeling a little foolish. He had probably made Isha think that he had a problem with girls too. Well, fine, as long as it doesn't cause an incident. Then the next words hit him. Well. He wasn't exactly a prince in dealing with women himself. He didn't really have a problem talking to them, but he wasn't what you'd call "skilled," either. He looked at Kin with an understanding expression, hoping he hid his own worry well enough. "I'll help you as best I can," he said, ignoring Tae Jin and whatever expression she was making at the moment. She'd understand, hopefully, that this was a guy thing. "I'm not what you'd call an expert, but I can try and get you past your fear at least."

As Lady Isha walked away, Tae Jin tried to catch Ken's eye, but he refused to meet her gaze. The Air Acolyte bobbed and weaved her head to try to catch the guard's stare, but he was adamant about avoiding her. Tae Jin couldn't help but think he was being a bit rude. Even though she was a stranger, she didn't feel like it was too much to ask for a friendly smile. She briefly thought about telling him he was being rude, but bit her tongue in restraint. 

C-can--oh dear," Ken sputtered out.  "Can you help me conquer my fear?  I really like Lady Isha.  B-b-b-b-b-but I'm not good at t-t-t-talking to girls.  I c-c-c-can't even look them in the face."

At first, Tae Jin thought he was joking. Why would he be afraid of girls? Sure, some girls were scary. Like Anyu, Anyu was kind of scary. But, more like intimidating, not really scary. But sure, he couldn't mean that he was afraid of all girls. That would be ridiculous. However, the longer the silence lasted between them, the more Tae Jin realized he was serious. 

"I'll help you as best I can,Yao offered. "I'm not whayou'd call an expert, but I can try and get you past your fear at least." Yao seemed to be purposefully avoiding Tae Jin's gaze as well. She felt completely perplexed by the situation. Were all men just suddenly afraid of women now? She couldn't help but feel a little offended. 

"Okay Yao, why don't you go ahead and give it a try. Mimi and I will let you boys play for a bit. Come get us when you realize you need our help." 

Okrin Je

The guards were discussing what to do about the Chieftain's missing son, Jugo.  It was at that fated moment that Shinya and Yao came to a realization, and knew that things could quite possibly go wrong.  However, keeping her cool, Anyu assessed the situation carefully, and approached the guards with caution.

"Oh that's right, I saw somebody with spears like yours not long ago! About...this tall, right?  Bushy eyebrows, beard kind of a mess? Wore a jawbone on his jaw? Is that your guy?"

She accurately described Jugo to a 'T'; they had quite literally bumped into him, after all.  The guards listened to her description of Jugo, watching her carefully as she noted his height and raised her hands.  They looked to one another, then quickly they huddled together, whispering among one another.  They spoke in their native tongue for many minutes, keeping Shinya and Anyu waiting on edge.  At last, they broke their huddle, and the lead guard stood before Anyu.  "The one you describe," he began.  "Was he alive?  And if so, where did you last see him?  If you will give us more information, I may be able to grant you an audience with the Chieftain."

Okrin Sa

"I'll help yoas best I can.  I'm nowhat you'd call an expert, but I can try and get you past your fear at least."

Kin sighed with relief, and was about to thank Yao, when he heard Tae Jin speak.

"Okay Yao, why don't you go ahead and give it a try. Mimi and I will let you boys play for a bit. Come get us when you realize you need our help." 

Kin gulped, but reluctantly looked in Tae Jin's direction, rarely raising his head to meet her eyes.  "Well, y-y-y-you don't have to s-s-s-sit and do nothing.  I-I-I think having a l-l-lady's perspective would--er--g-g-give me some clarity."  Kin suddenly realized he stopped speaking, and accidentally raised his voice a bit, sort of yelping.  "That is--!  Er, that is--ehem."  He cleared his throat and lowered his voice again.  "I-I-I-If you don't mind, Tae Jin.  Oh dear.  I called you by your name.  Can I do that?  Is there an honorific I should be using?  Oh no.  Oh dear.  Oh, jeez," Kin mumbled, beginning to sweat nervously.

Behind them, the ladies of the Okrin Sa camp were finishing their morning routine.  An elderly woman sat in a hand carved wooden chair, a large, well built Okrin male holding an enormous leaf over her head, shielding her from the sweltering sun.  Her eyes were completely white, suggesting she was blind.  She softly rocked, a smile on her face, occasionally patting her attendant on his one free hand.  Her grey hair was neatly tied into a bun, and she wore pearls and a grey fur top similar to Lady Isha's.  She held the attendant's hand for comfort, while 'watching' and listening to the world around her.  Two Okrin Sa women and three young Okrin Sa girls surrounded the elder, the young girls sitting at her feet, waiting for her to speak.

"Come for your morning dues, have you?" she said with a smile, to the girls around her.

They remained silent, smiling at each other.

"Well.  Let's get started," said the elder.

"Okay Yao, why don't you go ahead and give it a try. Mimi and I will let you boys play for a bit. Come get us when you realize you need our help."

Yao blanched, starting to wave his hands. "What, wait, Tae Jin, don't be upset!" his face reddened, and he knew he probably had made a fool of himself. What did I do wrong?

Kin gulped, but reluctantly looked in Tae Jin's direction, rarely raising his head to meet her eyes.  "Well, y-y-y-you don't have to s-s-s-sit and do nothing.  I-I-I think having a l-l-lady's perspective would--er--g-g-give me some clarity."  Kin suddenly realized he stopped speaking, and accidentally raised his voice a bit, sort of yelping.  "That is--!  Er, that is--ehem."  He cleared his throat and lowered his voice again.  "I-I-I-If you don't mind, Tae Jin.  Oh dear.  I called you by your name.  Can I do that?  Is there an honorific I should be using?  Oh no.  Oh dear.  Oh, jeez," Kin mumbled, beginning to sweat nervously.

"Yeah, we didn't mean to offend you," Yao said. "I just, uh..." he trailed off, not sure how to explain what, in hindsight, had been a foolish thought. Of course a woman would be able to help. Though they probably wouldn't understand being afraid of women, but then again, neither did Yao. Though he was a little bit afraid of Tae Jin at the moment. Well, less afraid of her and more afraid that he had done something wrong. He felt...strangely panicked at the thought.

Mimi shook her fur, ignoring the silly humans. Male, female, none of that mattered. Now fish...if he were afraid of fish, that would be just terrible.

Tae Jin rolled her eyes at Yao's pleading. The poor boy didn't even seem to know why she was upset. She sighed. She had traveled practically everywhere and men were the same everywhere, dense. Still, she wouldn't punish them because they couldn't see what was right in front of them. "Just call me Tae Jin." She told Kin. Truthfully, she was puzzled as to how she could make him unafraid of women. It really just seemed like a personal issue for him to work out. She was afraid of buzzardwasps, after all, and she just stayed away from them. Easy. Of course, she suspected it would be a bit harder for Kin to just avoid women for his entire life. Tae Jin chewed on the inside of her cheek, deep in thought. 

"Alright Kin. We'll start slow." She said, a plan formulating in her mind. When she was little, she was afraid of one of the old monks in the Northern Air Temple, but once she got to him Tae Jin realized he was a kind old man. They just had to get Kin to understand that women were just like men...albeit less dense. Still, just people. She was reminded of something Master Rinzen would tell her. 

"The opposite of fear is not the power over what is feared. It is understanding of it."

"Just look me in the eyes and tell me what you see. Tell me why you are so afraid." 

owVl5FN.png

"The one you describe. Was he alive? And if so, where did you last see him? If you will give us more information, I may be able to grant you an audience with the Chieftain."

Now for the hard part. Lying was never Anyu's favorite thing in the world, but she could do it. Besides, it wasn't like her next words were entirely false. Anyu took a deep breath, and and let it out slowly before answering the questions presented to her. "He was dead. I'm sorry. He was...I want to say north-ish of here? Maybe a bit west? He had some injuries that look like they could have come from those spears, too." And the finishing touch. Hopefully, this would work. "I don't know how things work on this island, but back where Shinya here and I come from, sometimes people commit murders to gain some political sway. Has anyone in your camp been acting fishy lately?"

Okrin Je

The two guards shivered at Jugo's name coming from the girl's mouth.  And then she said the words they weren't expecting to hear.

"He was dead. I'm sorry."

One of the guard's whipped his spear around, and aimed it at Anyu, only to be held back by the guard beside him.  He spoke rapidly, angrily in his native tongue.  A mix of rage, confusion, and fear.  There was a look in his eyes that matched the spitting and biting coming from his jaws.  ". .  .and how do we know it wasn't you!?"

The only other composed guard held his ally still, embracing him with both arms and pushing him in the opposite direction of Anyu.  "Lon!  Calm yourself!" he pleaded with his enraged friend.  Lon shoved the other guard off of him, then spat at the ground.  

"Imagine what will become of us now," Lon said, stabbing the head of his spear into the ground.  He took to a knee, and took a deep breath.  "Forgive me, Kogo."  He clapped both of his hands together, and bowed his head before his spear.  "Ygo te mne, Jugo."  Kogo followed Lon's lead, patiently spearing the ground beside Lon's spear, and taking a knee before it.  "Ygo te mne," he whispered.

The Okrin Head Guard lowered his , praying for Jugo.  "It means, 'pass well into the afterlife'.  A last farewell to our tribe's best huntsman," he said, raising his head again.  He got closer to Anyu and Shinya, his spear still in his hand.  "Jugo has never been missing for so long.  If he is dead, as you say, we will look further into his death.  For Jugo to fall prey to a spear of our own, speaks badly of our tribe."  He frowned, butting the bottom of his spear into the soft soil near Anyu's feet, as he looked her in the eye.  "You believe there is a traitor among us, yes?" he asked, now turning to his side, and gesturing towards the front gate.

Lon and Kogo stood to their feet, stepping aside and resuming their guard duties, beside the large wooden gate.  "Then you will report this to our Chieftain yourself.  You will tell him of his son's death.  And you will tell him what you discovered.  I will return soon with Jugo's body.  And if your words are true, and you aid us in finding Jugo's killer, we will aid you in return."  

The Okrin Je camp was by far the largest of the Okrin camps.  It was sectioned into three parts, each with their own connecting wall made of thick, heavy, dark orange jungle wood.  The walls were cut evenly, and spread in the shape of an oval around the camp.  The center gate was littered with skulls, carved and placed into the gate itself.  It was a heavy door, not easily moved.  To move the gate, two large stone weights must first be withdrawn to the east and west sides of the gate.  After removing the stone weights, the gate itself required two persons on either side two lift it.  Or, one Okrin Je male on each side.  

The camp itself was very robust.  Bustling with movement, a large fire was danced around by children.  Three large drums were played loudly, proudly inside of a tall, erected stone temple.  Around it, a series of tents in varying size.  Larger tents were for those in a position of power.  Medium tents were for storage, families, and soldiers.  Small tents were for couples or single occupants only.

The Head Guardsman led Anyu and Shinya inside, ordering Kogo and Lon to seal the gate behind them.  Six more Okrin Guardsmen approached Shinya and Anyu, lowering their spears at the wave of their leader.  In his native tongue, he ordered Shinya and Anyu to be taken to the Chieftain.  "Tell them I sent you.  Chief Bo will be anguished.  But he must know the truth," he said, glancing down at Shinya and Anyu, before looking back to the guardsmen.  "I will return with Jugo's body, that we may lay him to rest.  Be on alert.  The festival may be in danger."

The Okrin Guardsmen stomped once in unison, and the Head Guardsmen took his leave.  He bolted straight for the large, ten foot gate wall, piercing it with his spear.  He leaped atop his spear, flipped into the air and snatched it out of the gate wall, landing atop the wall.  He leaped down into the jungle below, to find Jugo.  Meanwhile, Anyu and Shinya were escorted to a lightly monitored section of the Okrin Je camp.  They were placed in a small tent, in which there were two pallet beds, and hand carved candles, still barely lit.  Two men stood outside of Anyu and Shinya's tent for brief moment, before their shadows disappeared from sight.

After several minutes, the shadows returned, guarding Shinya and Anyu's tent.  "I can't believe it," one of them whispered.  The other nodded, then shook his head.  "It can't be one of us, right?" he whispered back.  "Not unless you mean Raine.  He never liked Ju--oof!" he was jabbed in the stomach with the broad end of his companion's spear.  "Keep your voice down!  Don't start a panic.  Raine wouldn't do this.  Not without telling Lon first."

The guard's shadow raised its head, still holding its stomach.  He leaned in closer to his companion.  "You think Lon was in on it?"

The other guard nodded.  "Of course.  Raine hated his brother.  It's why he founded the Fo camp.  He and Lon have been close for a long time.  With Jugo dead, Raine can have the throne.  And Lon would be--"

"Right by his side.  Wygo te mnich, the Chieftain could be in danger."

"That's why Droso raised us."

"Then what about these two?"

One of the guards looked back towards the tent.  "They found Jugo's body.  Witnesses."

"Does Raine know?"

The other guard was silent for a moment.  "He will soon."

Okrin Sa

"Alright Kin. We'll start slow.  Just look me in the eyes and tell me what you see. Tell me why you are so afraid." 

Kin's eyes darted around for a moment, at Tae Jin's words.  He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and raised his head.  He kept one eye closed, opening the other slowly.  He peered into one of Tae Jin's eyes, and blinked, opening his other eye.  Kin sighed, as if he was disappointed.  "I. . . ," he began.  "I don't think I have the courage t-t-t-to talk to someone l-l-like Lady Isha.  I mean, look at her."  A bead of sweat rolled off of his head, and fell to his feet.  "She's the loveliest woman in the village.  She's hard working.  She's funny.  She's the village princess for goodness--oops!" He clasped his mouth with one hand.  He spread his fingers just enough so that Tae Jin and Yao could hear him speak.  "You weren't supposed to know that.  I'm an idiot when I'm nervous."

He sighed, lowering his hand from his face.  "I've seen every man in the village approach Lady Isha.  And she's turned them all away.  How can I tell her I love her when I can't even do my job?"  Kin slapped his forehead.  "I've given outsiders some of the most vital information about our camp, without being tortured or questioned.  I'm really bad at this."

What Kin failed to noticed was his sudden vast improvement.  His lip stopped quivering.  His voice stopped shaking.  He was no longer stuttering.  And it was because he talked to Tae Jin.  "Oh, what am I going to do?" he said, sighing again.  Kin rubbed the back of his head.  "Face it, I'm hopeless.  I don't know why I thought it could be helped.  But I may have something for you," Kin said at last.  He pulled Tae Jin and Yao in close, throwing his arms over their shoulders.  "Some few nights ago, there was a scream from the south.  We don't go there.  Really, none of the tribes do.  It's too dangerous.  But we never hear any commotion coming from the south, either."  Kin raised his head to peak over Tae Jin and Shinya's shoulders, then put his head down again.  "But that's all I really know.  There was a small party from our camp who went south some time ago.  Most of them never returned.  Only Lady Isha made it back," he said, looking over to Lady Isha who was standing and talking with the other women of the village.

"She's been to the south of the island.  She may be able to tell you more than I can.  Oh, and could you give her something for me?" from the back of his garb, Kin withdrew a clam, sealed tightly.  "But don't open it.  It's very important she gets that."

Kin resumed his position at his post, whispering to himself.  "I hope she likes it."

Okrin Fo

Udal panted, frantically chasing his prey.  They cheered and jeered as he made a fool of himself.

"Go, get him!"

"Run, pig, run!"

"He's slippery!"

Udal dove after the hog, catching its hind legs at the last moment, and taking hold as they splashed in a large puddle of mud.  Udal proudly wrangled the hog, and raised it in the air with one large metal hand, despite its large size.  There were cheers, squeals, whistles, and laughs, as his guide approached him, clapping his hands.  "That's our finest hog, Udal of Republic City.  You're the first to wrestle it and catch it.  Well done."

Udal sighed, his arm wrapped around the hog's large jaws to keep it from munching on his forearm.  "Well, you've had your fun at my expense.  I believe you owe me, Raine."

Raine raised an eyebrow.  "Oh, we're not through with you yet.  And since you brought along your companion without telling us, I've got a few more things I'd like you to do for me," he said, folding his arms.

"Companion?  Oh, God damn it," Udal said, sighing.  Two Okrin Fo men came in escorting Jeaunau, and tossing him into the mud at Udal's feet.  Jeaunau slowly stood, shaking the mud from his legs and wiping his face.  "Sorry Udal.  Tried to keep a low profile.  Didn't work with these gents."

Udal sighed again.  "Okay, fine.  What else you got?"

A smile crossed Raine's face, as he posed a question to Udal.  "Do you have many coconuts where you're from, Udal?"

Udal raised an eyebrow, then looked to Jeaunau who shrugged in confusion.  "No.  Why?" Udal replied.

"Often the milk is a delicious treat to anyone who can break its hard shell.  But here at our camp, we prefer to do something different with the coconuts."

Raine had three Okrin men drop ten coconuts at Udal's feet.  "There's another Camp not far from here.  And they're holding a festival.  One that should be in my honor."  Raine stepped closer to Udal, kicking a coconut closer to him.  "You're going to ruin it.  We've already started planning our little sneak attack.  And while you're throwing coconuts and men, women, and children, we'll come in and do the rest."

Udal never lowered his eyebrow.  "The rest of what?"

Raine patted Udal on the shoulder, as more coconuts were dropped at his feet.  "That's for us to know, and you to witness."

Udal sat the large hog down, as it squealed and ran away from them.  He picked up a coconut in his hand.  It was heavy.  People were going to get hurt.  Who the hell was this man?

"Let's go Udal.  If you ever want to see your friend again, you'll do this for me."

Udal remained silent, picking up coconuts in his hands.  Jeaunau also piled them into his arms.  "This is bad," he whispered to Udal.  

"Don't I know it," he replied, filling his own arms with coconuts, and following Raine to the outskirts of the Okrin Fo camp.  With them, a dozen other Okrin males, spears sharpened and ready.  "This is a lot more than revenge," Udal whispered to Jeaunau.

Okrin Je

Lon approached the guards in front of Anyu and Shinya's tent.  "Mind the gate.  We will watch our guests."

Silently, the two guards traded places with Lon and Kogo.  Lon had no intention of allowing  Shinya or Anyu to ever make it to the Chieftain, which is why he took over watch of their tent.  The Chieftain's life was now in danger, and the Okrin behind the walls had no idea.  That left Shinya and Anyu with one option:  escape.  But simply running out of the tent and trying to climb the Okrin Je wall wasn't going to happen.  They needed a distraction.  They needed to start some sort of chaos that would spread, but easily be contained.  Something wild.

"He was dead. I'm sorry."

"...and how do we know it wasn't you!?"

Shinya mentally prepared himself, unsure if these people would believe what Anyu said. And at the moment, it didn't seem like they did. Nevertheless, Shinya was put into a calm state, a bit relieved to see the guards actually believing this story.

"Jugo has never been missing for so long. If he is dead, as you say, we will look further into his death. For Jugo to fall prey to a spear of our own, speaks badly of our tribe.You believe there is a traitor among us, yes?"

He only nodded slowly at Lon. "That's what we were thinking."

"Then you will report this to our Chieftain yourself. You will tell him of his son's death. And you will tell him what you discovered. I will return soon with Jugo's body.  And if your words are true, and you aid us in finding Jugo's killer, we will aid you in return."

The uneasiness returned to Shinya, hearing that they now had to report to the Chieftain about the death of his son. Upside to this, they were granted an audience with the Chieftain. This meant trying to find Karina and enlisting aid from them would be a bit easier...but on the other hand, there was the actually telling the Chieftain about the death. Here was hoping that the story Anyu spoke would keep holding up.

The Okrin Je guardsmen escorted Shinya and Anyu into the tribe, only to move them into a series of well monitored tents. He supposed that this was a small place for the two of them to at least rest up before they met the Chieftain.

"Well...we're in." Shinya spoke, only after the guard's silhouettes on the tent left. "Still, you thought quick, Anyu. So that was pretty amazing. Let's just hope-" That's when he saw the silhouettes returned and he turned silent. However, the silence wasn't kept for too long.

"You think Lon was in on it?"

"Of course.  Raine hated his brother. It's why he founded the Fo camp. He and Lon have been close for a long time. With Jugo dead, Raine can have the throne.  And Lon would be--"

"Right by his side.  Wygo te mnich, the Chieftain could be in danger."

Things were getting hectic now...Shinya could feel it. And right now, they were in the middle of it. He looked at Anyu, who gave him the same look that he gave her: a look mixed with concern and worry. He slowly clenched his fists and closed his eyes, breathing slowly. We need to warn not only the Okrin...but the Chieftain himself. This is a huge huge coup going on...and they might not even be aware of it. he thought, calming himself and his breathing. Things weren't looking so well for them right now...all Shinya could do now was meditate in this moment.

x393wz.jpg

A few minutes later...

"Mind the gate. We will watch our guests."

Shinya's eyes slowly opened, hearing the familiar voice speaking to the guards outside the tent. It was Lon and he knew it. They were switching the guards now...and if he knew anything, they were going to probably attack. After all...Shinya and Anyu were "witnesses" to finding Jugo's body.

He slowly stood up, quietly as he could before moving towards Anyu. "Get yourself ready...I'm going to give us some time to escape." he whispered. "We both know that they're basically going to come in and attack sooner or later. So...get ready with the back of the tent."

Moving away from Anyu, he exhaled slightly, seeing both Lon and Kogo entered the tent, spears at the ready.

"We'll be escorting you to the Chieftain now." Lon said, sinister look in his eye saying otherwise.

"I doubt that seriously." Shinya spoke, slowly getting into a Northern Shaolin Kung Fu stance. His breathing reaching a slow and calmed state, he watched as Kogo moved towards him first. His fists tightened a bit, before he swung towards Kogo, preparing to send a straight right punch directly into Kogo's chest...preparing was the keyword, however.

Shinya's mind was concentrated on surviving, and doing its best to make every strike he performed one that would explode into fierce strike that would stagger his opponents. He had always thought this way...but this time...

"HA!!" Shinya shouted, as his punch was directed towards Kogo...and then it happened. A huge stream of flames shot from his right hand, surprising not only Kogo and Lon, but himself as well. Kogo barely had time to dodge the fiery strike, watching it immediately beginning to catch the tent on fire. Shinya looked at his right hand, before watching Kogo and Lon actually panic about the tent beginning to catch on fire.

"Anyu! Let's get moving now!" Shinya quickly said, moving towards Anyu as they ran out of the fiery tent from the back. I...I did it. I actually was able to bend fire!! he thought, a small smirk appearing on his face as they started running.

Yao felt a bit better about himself as he listened to Kin speak. At least he wasn't as bad as this guy. The guard also revealed that this Lady Isha was their princess, which wasn't surprising. Yao also noticed that the man improved speaking over time as he talked to them. Maybe people were right, and talking about their problems really did do wonders.

"Oh, what am I going to do?" Kin said, sighing again. He rubbed the back of his head.  "Face it, I'm hopeless.  I don't know why I thought it could be helped.  But I may have something for you," Kin said at last.  He pulled Tae Jin and Yao in close, throwing his arms over their shoulders.  "Some few nights ago, there was a scream from the south.  We don't go there.  Really, none of the tribes do.  It's too dangerous.  But we never hear any commotion coming from the south, either."  Kin raised his head to peek over Tae Jin and Shinya's shoulders, then put his head down again.  "But that's all I really know.  There was a small party from our camp who went south some time ago.  Most of them never returned.  Only Lady Isha made it back," he said, looking over to Lady Isha who was standing and talking with the other women of the village.

"She's been to the south of the island.  She may be able to tell you more than I can.  Oh, and could you give her something for me?" from the back of his garb, Kin withdrew a clam, sealed tightly.  "But don't open it.  It's very important she gets that."

"Thanks for the tip," Yao said. "I don't think you're as hopeless as you think you are, though. You managed to talk to Tae Jin, didn't you?" he nodded toward the air nomad. "And sure, we can do that for you," he said, taking the clam from the guard. "As long as you promise to gain some confidence. You're braver than you believe," the brunette gave a lopsided smile at his somewhat embarrassing, but honest words.

After they gained some distance from the guard, Yao looked at Tae Jin. "Do you want to be the one to talk to Lady Isha? She seemed to be more comfortable with you. Maybe as a woman you can relate with her more?" at that moment, he remembered how she had reacted earlier. "Uhh, not that you being a woman makes any difference. You're just as manly as a man! Wait, uhh, that came out wrong. I mean, you're just as...uhhh..." for some reason, his mind blanked, which was annoying. He wasn't normally this tongue-tied. He had had no problems talking to women before this. Maybe Kin's complex was infectious.

"I hope she likes it." Tae Jin snatched the clam out of Kin's hand. Despite the fact that Kin had explicitly said that no one should open it, she just wanted to peak. But she would refrain, if only to keep the peace. Still, she couldn't help but wonder what was inside. A pearl perhaps? No, too obvious. Jewelry? Yes, yes. Jewelry. She was sure of it. A necklace? A bracelet? A ring? Oh spirits, she wanted to look. 

"She'll love it, Kin." Tae Jin said. "We can't thank you enough." 

She nodded along to what was Yao was saying, trying to reassure Kin. "As long as you promise to gain some confidence. You're braver than you believe," Yao finished. Tae Jin leaned in closer to Kin, no doubt making the poor guard nervous. She would be lying to herself if she didn't admit that she was enjoying the nervousness she aroused in the islander, just a little bit, of course. 

"I think you've got this well under control. Just don't overthink it." Tae Jin emphasized her point with a wink, she just couldn't help herself. After making Kin woozy, no doubt, Tae Jin followed Yao a little ways away from their new friend, a small smile on her face. 

"Do you want to be the one to talk to Lady Isha? She seemed to be more comfortable with you. Maybe as awoman you can relate with her more?" Tae Jin was about to open her mouth to agree, but Yao kept going . "Uhh, not that you being a woman makes any difference. Your just as manly as a man! Wait, uhh, that came out wrong. I mean you're just as uhhhh..." Tae Jin couldn't help but giggle at Yao's discomfort. She patted him lightly on the chest, her smile wide. 

"I know what you meant." She said kindly, her hand lingering on Yao's chest for just a moment longer than necessary. "Yes, I will try talking with Lady Isha."

Okrin Fo

It started as a puff of smoke.  Then, a billowing black cloud emerged across the island.  There was a fire, and it wasn't Raine's doing.  "Looks like we don't need you after all, Udal," he said, folding his arms and watching the smoke rise.  Raine took a spear in his hand, and raised his free hand with an open palm, directing his followers.  "Come.  We will use this chaos to our advantage.  It is time to reclaim what is ours!"

Udal paused in his tracks, as two dozen Okrin men cheered behind him, marching to Raine's commands.

"Ytach!?"

"YTACH!" they replied, in unison.

"Raine!" Udal called, dropping the coconuts.  "I won't help you hurt innocent people."

Raine turned around slowly, smirking at Udal.  "No one innocent will be hurt, Udal.  Women, children, elderly.  They need not be involved.  But my father, however.  He and his band of idiots have driven this tribe to the brink of extinction.  I won't allow them to kill us slowly.  He will be removed.  And you're going to help me.  Whether you like it, or not."

Spears were now pointed at Udal's neck, by surrounding Orkin men.  But Udal wasn't concerned for his own safety.  Shinya and Anyu were in danger now.  He had to go along, even if it was only to save them.

"Fine.  But don't forget what you promised me."

Raine nodded.  "I haven't forgotten, Udal.  I'm a man of my word."

Jeaunau remained silent through the entire ordeal, the occasional sigh escaping him.  He was just as concerned as Udal was.  They had only come to rescue a little girl.  Not to aid in a civil war.  Things were about to get really bad.

Okrin Je

The fire caught the tent right away, eating away at its tender flesh with a hunger that could not be soothed.  The sparks spread, and soon, there was panic.  Fire after fire began to build in the Okrin Je encampment, ruining the festival and sending the people into a frenzy.  The guards attempted to open the gate, but the tied rope that held the weights down had been burned, and the weights could no longer be lifted.  The Okrin Je people were trapped.  The Chieftain had emerged from his tent to tend to the uproar, but there was nothing he could do.  There were no benders among the Okrin people.  And what water they had was already used to tend to some of the fires.  However, without enough water, the fires only continued to burn, spreading and destroying everything they touched.

The Chieftain approached the center of the camp, commanding his men.  He instructed them to all at once attempt to manually move the gate.  In the chaos, the Chieftain remained calm.  He wore a wooden tribal mask, dawning red and green feathers, with red war paint, and three large gashes on its face.  Beneath his mask was a flurry of grey and black hair, suggesting he was a bit older than his men.  He was a tall man, at least six feet, and was very strongly built.  He wore a simple grass skirt, no shoes, and a loin cloth beneath.  The way he moved his men suggested he had a lot of experience in combat.  And as they approached the gate, he too went to aid them.

"Chief Boa!  You mustn't put yourself in danger!" his men called back, as they lined up at the gate.

"Do not fear for me!  Fear for the people!" he declared.  "Raise the gate!  I will guide everyone to safety!"

Meanwhile, women and children were scrambling.  Someone had to guide them to the gate, and get them away from the fires.  Chief Boa spotted two stragglers he did not recognize, and pointed to them, urging them to come forwards.  They dressed strangely, and they were most certainly not Okrin.  "You there!" he called to them.  They were sprinting away from something.  Probably the fire.  He approached them cautiously.  They were young, so he need not strike them with fear.  "This place is dangerous.  I do not know why you are here, but since you are, I will ask your help."

Lon and Kogo had since stopped chasing Anyu and Shinya, neglecting their own circumstance in light of possibly burning to death.  They had lined up with the rest of Chief Boa's men, and were assisting with slowly, painfully, moving and opening the gate.

Meanwhile, Chief Boa addressed Anyu and Shinya.  "Your fear is not of the fire.  What could be more frightening in a time like this?"

Okrin Sa

Lady Isha felt footsteps behind her, and she turned to see Tae Jin and Yao returning to her.  "I trust Kin was able to give you some valuable information," she said, politely ushering them away from the elderly woman in the rocking chair, out of her earshot.  "Was there anything else I might assist you with?" she asked.  She noticed a clam in Tae Jin's hands, but she said nothing.  It had more than one meaning for Lady Isha.  And depending on its contents, would depend on how she reacted.

"Tell me.  What has Kin shared with you?  Do you know the whereabouts of your friend?" she asked, sweetly.

Raine

"There," he said, holding up a hand and causing his men to stop behind him.  "They're raising the gate.  There must still be people inside.  This means my father is also still inside."

They were hold up in the forest, perched in the trees with bows and arrows, and spears.  "Go around the north side.  We will sneak through my father's tent, and assassinate him there."  Several of Raine's men broke into a group of twelve, and began making their way around the north side of the Okrin Je camp.  "And Udal," Raine said, facing the Republic City man.  "If you alert them, I will kill you.  And your friend here, too."

Udal clenched his fist, and prepared for the worst.

"Let's go."

As Shinya ran with Anyu, the fire he started began to wilder and much more fierce. He hated that he had to use the power of Firebending in such a manner, especially one to cause a panic, but it had to be done. However, silently to himself, he swore that he wouldn't use it particularly in this manner.

It wasn't long until Shinya stopped in order to catch his breath, noticing that Lon and Kogo both had stopped chasing after them. He assumed they went along with most of the other men in the village to make sure the civilians were alright. "I-I...I think they stopped..." Shinya huffed, shaking his head some. "Damn...this is a hell of a mess..."

"You there!"

sheet.... Shinya thought in a panic, looking up to see a new individual approaching him and Anyu. He wore a wooden tribal mask with feathers of red and green, three gashes on its face, and war paint. It might've been safe to assume that it was the chief.

"This place is dangerous. I do not know why you are here, but since you are, I will ask your help. Your fear is not of the fire. What could be more frightening in a time like this?"

Shinya exhaled a bit, his breath finally caught as he slowly stood upright before Chief Boa. He bowed slightly and cleared his throat. "We're sorry for all this. But, you are correct sir. The fire isn't exactly the one that is frightening to us. Right now its you, sir." he began, noticing Boa seemed curious by his words. "There is an attempt on your life being planned right now. We originally came to ask for your help in locating our friend...but a few of your guards were in talks about someone...I believe it was your son."

At this point Shinya took a breather for this, before exhaling once more. "I-I believe he's preparing to take your life as we speak."

Yao felt a bit embarrassed at Tae Jin's giggle, but also relieved. It seemed she wasn't upset, at least. The area on his chest tingled where she had patted him, which was probably due to static or...something. Yes, probably static. The fact he could still feel the static just meant it was a particularly strong shock.

"I know what you meant. Yes, I will try talking with Lady Isha," she said. The brunette had never really noticed this before, but she really had a very nice voice. Why was he thinking about this anyway? The heat haze was probably getting to him. He had been distracted like this for a while now.

Lady Isha turned around as they approached her. "I trust Kin was able to give you some valuable information," she said, politely ushering them away from the elderly woman in the rocking chair, out of her earshot.  "Was there anything else I might assist you with?" she asked, pausing. "Tell me.  What has Kin shared with you?  Do you know the whereabouts of your friend?"

Yao gulped and turned to Tae Jin, hoping she would say something, and then sweating when she did not. Maybe she was testing him? Trying to see if he could step up to the task? For some reason, the thought prompted him to speak, taking a deep breath to gather his nerves. "We think that she might be on the southern part of the island," he said. "And that, uh, you might be able to help direct us to where we need to go?" He glanced at Tae Jin after he spoke, realizing that he might have accidentally offended her by speaking first. Why am I so worried about that? he wondered.

Mimi twirled in a circle, bumping her nose against Tae Jin's clasped hands, as if to bring attention to them, and what they held.

"Tell me.  What has Kin shared with you?  Do you know the whereabouts of your friend?" Lady Isha asked. Tae Jin had noticed her eye wander to the clam that she was holding. The Air Acolyte gathered that Lady Isha knew the importance of the object, judging by her face...even if Tae Jin and Yao didn't have much of an idea.  

"We think that she might be on the southern part of the island,Yao answered, his voice a bit hesitant. "And that, uh,you might be able to help direct us to where we need to go?" His side glance at Tae Jin almost made the half-bender giggle again. It seemed that all it took to put him on edge was a few innocuous comments. He seemed to be afraid of angering her again.

"As most men should be." She thought to herself with a smile.

Tae Jin felt Mimi's cool snout brush up against her hand, urging her to give Lady Isha the clam and whatever it was that was hidden inside. The brightly-colored girl briefly stroked the Lion-Dragon's head in thanks. "Thank you Mimi, I had nearly forgotten." She held out the clam to Lady Isha, a soft smile upon her face. "As a token of how much you have already helped us, Kin asked us to deliver this to you. We hope that this small favor, and anything else we can do, will persuade you to help us rescue our friend."

owVl5FN.png

"We'll be escorting you to the Chieftain now."

"I doubt that seriously."

An exchange of blows was forming before Anyu. There sure had been a lot of that lately. However, just as quickly as it started, it ended as Shinya fired off a fireball from his hand, prompting Anyu's eyes to widen in legitimate surprise for the first time since landing on this island. Seemed the guards were just as surprised as she was, if not more so.

"Anyu! Let's get moving now!"

"Don't have to tell me twice," Anyu complied, following Shinya out of the tent and--

"You there! This place is dangerous. I do not know why you are here, but since you are, I will ask your help. Your fear is not of the fire. What could be more frightening in a time like this?"

"We're sorry for all this. But, you are correct sir. The fire isn't exactly the one that is frightening to us. Right now its you, sir. There is an attempt on your life being planned right now. We originally came to ask for your help in locating our friend...but a few of your guards were in talks about someone...I believe it was your son. I-I believe he's preparing to take your life as we speak."

"Let me do the talking," Anyu muttered through her teeth, shoving an elbow into Shinya's side. Boys. No tact, I swear. Taking a quick - yet deep - breath, Anyu nodded to confirm what Shinya had said. "I'll happily explain all of the details once we're out of here, but right now your life is in danger. Sir."

• 2 weeks later...
Okrin Je

"We're sorry for all this. But, you are correct sir. The fire isn't exactly the one that is frightening to us. Right now its you, sir. There is an attempt on your life being planned right now. We originally came to ask for your help in locating our friend...but a few of your guards were in talks about someone...I believe it was your son. I-I believe he's preparing to take your life as we speak."

Chief Boa paused, as he thought carefully about what the boy was saying.  But it didn't make any sense to him.  "A threat on my life?  By my son?  What are you--"

"I'll happily explain all of the details once we're out of here, but right now your life is in danger. Sir."

Chief Boa looked to both these strangers, their eyes bright and sparkling, but their gaze was serious.  He looked to the gate, which was still being opened by the other Okrin men.  There was enough space for women and children to slide between the heavy doors, but they could be parted no further.  He turned back to Anyu and Shinya, his expression hidden beneath the tribal mask.  "Strangers appear.  A fire spreads.  And now my life is in danger, too?  Something is very wrong."

Chief Boa turned to his men at the gate, urging them to work harder.  "Hurry!  Women and children are your priority!  Danger approaches!"

Boa's men struggled with the gate, still, the weights stuck on the opposing side.  But in an instant, the gate was forced open, as it suddenly became lighter and easier to move.  On the opposite side, Raine's men had made contact at last, lifting the weights on the other side and allowing Boa's men to make fools of themselves as they toppled over one another as the gate was opened.  Within seconds of their heads showing on the other side of the gate, eight of Chief Boa's men were shot through the head with arrows, and two more of them stabbed with poison tipped spears.

Twelve men stormed the gates rapidly, with only six of Chief Boa's men remaining.  "No!" he cried out.  "Retreat to the North side!  We will escape--!"

A spear was at Chief Boa's throat, as he, Shinya, and Anyu were suddenly surrounded.  Raine emerged last, stepping from behind the gate.  "You won't be going anywhere, old man."

Chief Boa snarled behind his mask.  "Raine," he said, angrily.  "How long have you been planning this?" he asked, barely moving as he spoke.

Raine smiled, approaching slowly, and having his men lower their spears from around his father, Shinya, and Anyu.  "Since you first exiled me, and tried to give my idiot brother control."

Chief Boa grunted, looking down to Shinya and Anyu, who had tried to warn him.  "I should have taken your more seriously," he said, softness in his voice.  "I thank you for attempting to save my life.  But there is nothing you can do here."  Boa raised his head and looked through his mask at Raine.  "Let them go.  They are outsiders who have nothing to do with this.  It's between you and I, Raine."

Raine frowned, and was about to argue his father down, but he stopped himself, and smiled again.  "Don't worry old man.  I won't hurt them.  But they will witness this.  I assure--"

"Let them go, Raine," said Udal, who stepped forwards from behind the gate.  "They're my friends.  We don't want anything to do with your civil war."

Raine turned around, frowning this time.  "You elected to be a part of this when you came to me for help.  I'll do with you as I please, when I'm ready, Udal.  As for you," Raine said, looking at the fire spreading ever closer.  "I'll deal with you soon enough.  Put out this fire.  I can't have everything I've worked so hard for turning to ash."

Half of Raine's men took Chief Boa's remaining men and went to begin dousing fires.  Women, children, and elderly scrambled away from the encampment, and fled the area.  Udal's eyes fell upon Shinya and Anyu, who were in deep in a mess they didn't create.  His eyes landed on Anyu, and she felt his gaze, raising her head.  Their eyes met, and Udal nodded to her slowly, with Raine's back to him.  She didn't nod in response, but she understood.  Udal mouthed to her slowly.

"Do as I do."

Udal took a slow, deep breath, and closed his eyes.  He clasped his hands together quietly.  

"Hey!  What are you doing!?" one of Raine's men asked, jabbing Udal with a blunt end of a spear.

Udal grunted.  "Meditating.  And calming myself.  I don't want to see anyone else hurt," he emphasized, his eyes still locked to Anyu's, hoping she understood.  His eyes darted to her foot, and she followed, looking down at Udal's feet.  He moved just his right foot slowly, in a quarter circle clockwise motion.  Then, he slowly, without force, stretched his clasped hands outwards.

Okrin Sa

"We think that she might be on the southernpart of the island," he said. "And that, uh, you might be able to help direct us to where we need to go?"

"As a token of how much you have already helped us, Kin asked us to deliver this to you. We hope that this small favor, and anything else we can do, will persuade you to help us rescue our friend."

Lady Isha was handed the clam, but she already knew what was inside.  Opening the clam slowly, she saw that it was a beautiful pearl, but it was cracked on one side.  Danger.  They would need her help.

Lady Isha sighed, knowing full well what she was getting into.  She kept up her smile, however, as she closed the clam.  "I would be happy to help you," she said at last.  "But we must be wary.  The southern island is the most dangerous."  She looked over her shoulder, and slowly she walked with Tae Jin and Anyu to the encampment entrance.  "We must go quickly.  The elder would be furious if she knew I was leaving."

Kin smiled to Lady Isha, but it quickly faded when he realized she was about to leave.  Slipping away from his post, he worked up the nerve to question her.  "My Lady.  Are-are-are you going to the south?" he asked finally.

She nodded.  "Will you ensure our safe passage, Kin?  We could use your help."

Kin looked around.  The elder seemed occupied with the children at her feet, and the men were tentatively listening to her story.  Kin turned back to Lady Isha and nodded.  "I will accompany you."

Lady Isha smiled, and began leading the way.  "Quickly.  Before they notice us slipping away."

Southern Island:  Unknown Territory

It was a lengthy journey, and the sweltering heat only continued to berate them as they drew nearer to the southern end of the island.  Over half an hour, they trekked through forest, carefully past booby traps, and into the forbidden land.  They hid beneath bushes and shrubs, beneath the shade of forest canopy.  Silently, Lady Isha, Kin, Tae Jin, Yao, and Mimi watched as Okrin men came and went.  Their war paint differed from all the others.  While Kin's was black and white, these men had changed their war paint to be black and red.  They were cautious, always looking over their shoulders and exchanging brief words in their native tongue.  There were six Okrin men that had come into their view.  After monitoring their activity for half-an hour, Lady Isha had come to a conclusion.

"Guards," she whispered softly.  "Before the tribes separated, there was said to be unclaimed treasure on this part of the island.  And an outsider who was very close to finding it."

Kin nodded slowly.  He remembered the man's mask, and voice.  "He incited violence among us."

Lady Isha continued.  "He used greed to tear us apart, and eventually turn us against one another.  At this moment, we know nothing of this so called treasure.  Only that it is beneath the mountain, and the Stranger protects it."

Kin audibly gulped, wiping his brow of sweat.  "My Lady.  Do you think--do you think these men have captured their ally?"

She nodded.  "I believe they saw an outsider, and brought them to the Stranger.  Which means--"

"We're going to need much more help," Kin said, lowering his head.

Between the five of them, engaging six guards was asking to be killed.  Not to mention, there was no telling what was beyond them.  They paced back and forth over a large area, protecting what one would assume was nothing more than a boulder blocking a cave entrance.  But it was very clear that this part of the island was well protected, and being used by someone other than the local Okrin tribes.

And how could Tae Jin and Yao even be sure Karina was inside?  How could they be sure she was even alive?  Their best bet would be Mimi's nose.  However, that would require getting much too close for comfort, especially when they were all just amateur benders.  

"I may have a way inside," Lady Isha said softly.  "But we will need to get help from another camp.  My father's camp.  The Okrin Je."

owVl5FN.png

Well, Raine was here. The thing Anyu and Shinya were trying to keep from happening was happening, but the chief was alive, for now. Anyu partly wanted to blame herself,  but she had no way to know or control just how soon Raine and his men would get here. There was no point in putting any blame on herself. After all, if she'd left Shinya to do the talking with those guards, they may not have even gotten into the camp in the first place. As Anyu thought a bit more about the situation at hand, she felt a pair of eyes gazing at her. Looking up to return the gaze, she was met with Udal. He mouthed only four words to her.

"Do as I do."

"Hey! What are you doing!?"

"Meditating. And calming myself. I don't want to see anyone else hurt."

Anyu glanced down at Udal's feet, watching his right foot go around in a clockwise quarter-circle. And his clasped hands moved forward. Got it. Anyu put her hands together, and took a deep breath to calm back down. With that, she nodded subtly to herself, before swinging her leg in a similar clockwise motion as Udal had, and pushing her hands forward. And the ground beneath her feet...well, she certainly got a reaction out of it of some sort. It wasn't really something Anyu got to watch, but she could hear the sounds of surprise from a dozen or so of Raine's men behind her, and then...not much else, really. Glancing behind her, Anyu could see that she'd - or rather, the earth she'd just bent - knocked out the whole dozen.

Nice. Now then, the boss.

Shifting her eyes back around toward Raine, Anyu pointed behind her to what had just happened, and shrugged, stating "I think the tables just turned. Would you mind turning yourself in quietly now and making this a lot easier for everyone here, yourself included?"

Tae Jin didn't seem angry with him, which was a relief. Crisis over, Yao was free to focus on the clam. Honestly, he was pretty curious about what was inside, but decided not to pry. Whatever it was, it wasn't his business. Unless it had to do with them, in which case, it was their business.

Soon after, Lady Isha agreed to accompany them south. The brunette was surprised that things were going this smoothly, but perhaps he shouldn't. These people seemed kind and helpful, for which he was relieved. He wasn't really a fighter, nor was Tae Jin. He was a bit worried by the fact that Lady Isha was apparently going against the will of the elder, but he also knew that the two of them alone had little to no chance of finding their lost friend. The addition of Kin was a relief as well. They might need a fighter where they were going.

--

At the southern part of the island, Yao listened to Lady Isha and Kin's discussion with worry. Another outsider? Could it be...? Udal's words about Jeanau rang in his head again. "If he's really a research scientist, why's he been here for seven months with no one looking for him?  Plus, he's a God damn bender.  I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.  And that's pretty damn far."

Could it be...him? But...I watched him, and he didn't do anything suspicious. Plus, they said that the Stranger protects the treasure, which means he or she probably stays in this area of the island.

Maybe he was being too paranoid. But it was something to think about. If the situation allowed for it, he'd introduce these two to Jeaunau and see how they reacted.

"I may have a way inside," Lady Isha said softly.  "But we will need to get help from another camp.  My father's camp.  The Okrin Je."

Yao looked confused for a second before realization sank in. Oh yes, they had said that all the tribes used to be one before the Stranger arrived. "So, should we leave then?" he asked, voice low. There wasn't really any point in staying here if they couldn't do anything, though he did wonder how much farther they'd have to walk. "How far away is the Okrin Je camp?" Perhaps it was the fact he hadn't had anything to eat all day, or the weary trek across the island, but he was starting to feel the edges of exhaustion.

Archived