[AGM] -Landmasters- They be rolling and you'll definitely be hating

towitori

[spoiler=Prompt]

Landmaster is more of a series of Rock-Type EARTH monsters. They're big boulders and they have the ability to "roll around" the field by moving to adjacent unoccupied monster zone. In the Philippines, there's a game called Holen and the rule of the game is to flick a ball of marble with your thumb and aim at a group of marbles, enclosed in a circle. If any of those marbles leaves the circle, you then capture that marble. Borrowing from this concept, a Landmaster can Special Summon itself from the hand if there's a card on the same column (flick and aim). Then an effect applies here depending on the Landmaster. Like if there's a monster on the same column and its ATK is lower than the Landmaster's, destroy it (capture). The "roll around" ability then comes to play allowing you to reuse this SS process.

[spoiler=Landmaster Granite]

Landmaster Granite

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF / 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your opponent's unused Monster Zone and both players control no cards on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Granite" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: The original owner of this card can Special Summon 1 "Landmaster" monster from their Deck to any unused Monster Zone on the same column as this card, except "Landmaster Granite", and treat it as being Special Summoned by its own effect. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Basalt]

Landmaster Basalt

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF/ 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your opponent's unused Monster Zone and both players control no cards on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Basalt" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: Set this card in the controller's Spell/Trap Card Zone in the same column as a Spell Card, then the original owner of this card can Special Summon 1 "Landmaster" monster from their Deck to any unused Monster Zone on the same column as this card, except "Landmaster Basalt", and treat it as being Special Summoned by its own effect. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Flint]

Landmaster Flint

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF / 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your unused Monster Zone and your opponent controls a monster on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Flint" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: Destroy all monsters your opponent controls on the same column as this card. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Chalk]

Landmaster Chalk

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF / 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your unused Monster Zone and your opponent controls a Set Spell/Trap Card on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Chalk" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: Destroy all Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls on the same column as this card.  Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Gneiss]

Landmaster Gneiss

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF/ 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your unused Monster Zone and your opponent controls a Special Summoned Monster on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Gneiss" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: Return all monsters your opponent controls on the same column as this card to its owner's hand. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Skarn]

Landmaster Skarn

EARTH / Level 3

Rock / Effect

ATK / 1000 DEF / 1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) on any of your unused Monster Zone and your opponent controls a Spell/Trap Card on that same column. You can only Special Summon "Landmaster Skarn" once per turn this way. When this card is Special Summoned this way: Return all Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls on the same column as this card to its owner's hand. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unused Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Landmaster Lithos]

Landmaster Lithos

EARTH / Rank 3

Rock / Xyz / Effect

ATK / 1500 DEF / 2000

2 Level 3 Rock-Type Monsters

When this card is Xyz Summoned: Destroy all cards your opponent controls on the same column as this card and gain 500 ATK for each cards destroyed by this effect. While your opponent controls no cards on the same column as this card, it can attack your opponent directly. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 face-up monster you control; that target gains 500 ATK, and if you do, you can move that target to any of your unused Monster Zones. This ATK increase lasts until the end of this turn.

Each 2 monsters are named after Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic rocks, respectively. Lithos is Greek for "stone" me thinks.

CnC

thanks to terrie for some backstage cnc on discord

Layundmasturrr

[spoiler=Hurr Durr meme junkie]

307.jpg

All jokes aside, if you really did base that name off this reference then good on ya. Also, top notch names you've got there man. Granite, I'm sure I could do better, but that's all just an opinion. Anyhow, I won't pretend to know everything about Rocks, so if I miss out on any important points, feel free to direct me to them. I'll do the best I can with the information I have. With that out of the way, let's get down to business.

- - - - -

LM Granite: Granite = Granted, if you didn't get the joke.  *Monster Zones, methinks. That aside, this guy is clearly the glue of the Arch. Sure, his SS condition's a bit... iffy, but if you go first, shenanigans occur, I'm sure. Plus, since it counts that monster as having been summoned by its own condition, it opens up many plays within the deck. Speaking of, Granite pulls things from the deck, versus the hand, and while having a hand/Deck clause would make it more optimal, just from the deck makes it more realistic and balanced. Less so because you'll (most likely) always have Rocks to pull, but more so because you might not have the Rocks you need in the Deck, at the moment. (Taking bricking to a WHOLE new level, amiright?)

Still, I don't think Granite would last all too long. After all, it can be used as Synchro, Xyz, or Tribute fodder, and Monarchs would just LOVE that. While 3 is indeed an awkward level for just about every meta deck atm (both for Synchros and Xyzs), given that PKBA exists, they would love this guy, so long as they could get a PK on the field. Xyz shenanigans, you know. Still, it does what it does and it does it well, so I can't complain all that much. Personally, for consistency reasons, I'd add in a "hand or Deck" clause to him, but he's fine as-is.

Overall- As the glue of the deck, there's not much you can really say against him, except that for consistency reasons, it'd be more optimal for Granite to SS from the hand and Deck, versus just the Deck. 4.5/5

LM Basalt: Interesting. A secondary glue that might actually serve more purpose than Granite, as it allows you to place this guy in your opponent's S/T zone. Shame that it doesn't allow you to place it in the Pendulum Zone, but given that Pendulums are still a mechanic that's being fleshed out (the same with your whole "empty zone" mechanic), perhaps this is for the better. The same things I've said for Granite exist here, minus the issue of possibly being Xyz/Synchro material. This card is (in my opinion) arguably better than Granite, as it prevents your opponent from using this card as anything but a Twin Twister's target, which if you could get three of these out before something like a PK player could get their Spell/Traps, you'd severely cripple them. Which is awesome. While not exactly being 'generic', this card could certainly be an interesting tech. Though... I don't think it would be teched into any currently meta deck.

That aside, I'm seeing a pattern here, and some interesting Synergy. Use this with Skarn and you've got an instant R3nk. (You'd have to NS this, mind you, but nobody in their right mind plays Trap Hole anymore.) Nice. The same with Granite and Gneiss. Clever, clever. I've got no complaints about that, and my previous complaints about Granite being misused are all but revoked. You've saved yourself. (Kind of.) Still... where's that 'from the hand or Deck' consistency that I like? That would make this card all the better. Still, opening triple Basalt is nice, if you don't plan on clogging your opponent's board. You essentially have three R3nk Xyzs, same with Granite.

Overall- A better Granite, imo, since there's less chance of this card being abused by your opponent. Objectively the better choice of the two, but who doesn't love granite countertops? 5/5

LM Flint: So, question? Does this card affect things like Unions or monsters that are equipped to monsters in the same column? If so, this card would be an interesting tech to have against ABCs. It wouldn't be amazing, but it would work. Still, it's a bit lackluster, as even though it's non-targeting, it's still destruction, and with the given meta archetypes atm, this card would be restricted (in my mind) to Rock-type decks and this card's own archetype, as far as use goes. Even then, its' an objectively worse Gneiss, since it doesn't allow immediate Xyz plays, though it can work as a pseudo-Foolish Burial if you run Gaia in the deck (which... why wouldn't you?). Still, this card loses points since it's just a Gneiss that doesn't work as nice. The only advice I have for you is to add on that effects in the graveyard cannot be activated by the card destroyed by Flint. It'd make it much more valuable.

Overall- A worse Gneiss that can't do half as good a job as said LM, though it does work as Gaia fodder if you can pop a Granite that you summoned, though why you would choose this over Gneiss is beyond my realm of current comprehension. 3/5

LM Chalk: For such a bland name, Chalk's got a damn good effect. I wish it prevented effects from activating in the Grave the turn it's summoned. Anyways, when Trapesstomas come over, this guy won't do jack, but against things that count as both Spells/Traps and monsters, this thing would be nice. And in general, this guy's most definitely a tech card, and most certainly a tech for Monarchs. I mean, free un-counterable Spell/Trap destruction (ignoring preventing this thing's summon) plus tribute fodder? Yes please! 

Overall- Good, just good man, even if it's kind of generic and missing the prevention of effects in the grave clause. 5/5

LM GneissThe playmaker of the deck. You SS this with Granite, NS Granite, then make whatever R3nk you want. Lithos, Dante, Super Quantal, you name it you make it. Also, assuming you're playing BanishRocks (With stuff like Gaia and Megaton/rock Dragon) you can make Leviair, and just have all sorts of fun later game. I don't know what else to say, other than this card is a definite tech in a LOT of decks. Non-targeting, non-destruction removal? Beautiful. The only way to make this card better would be to return the card to the top of deck, rather than the hand, but who cares, honestly. This might just get around ABCs and junk, and I could see this being played as a side in tons of decks (ESPECIALLY MONARCHS). What can I say, you know how to make genuinely good cards.

Overall- I can't give you more than a 5, but if it weren't for how naturally techy and generic this is, I would definitely try: it does everything good a card can do for an archetype: great removal, sets up plays, and makes your opponent grind gears trying to make sure that this card never hits the field. 5/5

LM Skarn: While being a worse tech than Chalk, within its own archetype Skarn is on levels of Gneiss of how good it is, when used with Basalt. Most of what I said for Gneiss applies here, but with Spell/Trap cards, my only complaint being that this card doesn't return to the top of the deck, which I think this card could really use. Returning stuff to the hand isn't all that great when it comes to things like Quick-Play Spells since they might just play it from the hand next turn (assuming they have one) or just re-set it. Same with Traps, on that last point. Still, since nothing can respond to its effect's activation, it makes it, once again, a great tech and addition to the archetype, as, once again, it sets up future plays.

Overall- It ain't 5/5, but it's still really good, as it sets up your plays, helps other decks as a tech, and makes good Gaia fodder and a good Leviair target. 4/5

LM Lithos: I mean... it's okay? I'm sure you could've done better with this guy (i.e. after you destroy the cards, you can send 1 Rock-type from your deck to the grave. Just a suggestion.) imo, but he's OK as is. I'd rather use other R3nk Xyzs than this card, but I'd definitely use at least one of him for that nice Monster/Spell and Trap removal. Plus, it can slam your opponent directly for a clean 2000, cleaving their health by 1/4, which is delicious. Maybe give it the same protection the Spell/Trap removers of the archetype have, so it's an even more lethal boss? Because as of right now, I'd much rather run Dante, Break Sword, Leviair, or even Grenosauros, for salt reasons.

Overall- It's a decent boss, but for what I'm sacrificing now and late game (assuming I run things like Gaia and Megaton/rock Dragon) it's not worth it over something practical like Break Sword or Leviair. 3.5/5

- - - - -

Overall, a very original and fun archetype to run into! I've never quite seen anything so... peculiar before, and I've actually been given a GOOD headache trying to find flaws in each card, which is a fun deviation from the norm. Honestly one of the better balanced archetypes I've seen, both in power, consistency, recoverablity, and versatility. Not only can each card (for the most part) serve as a tech for another deck (Monaaaarchs), but they help their own archetype in some of the best ways they can, without being overly overpowered, which is always lovely to see! Even so, in some areas, it's lacking the power and speed I was expecting, being extremely lackluster in the boss department. While this can be remedied with other, better bosses, it's still disappointing to see after all that hype I had before. Though I ended this archetype on a sour note, I'd still give it a solid 4/5.

Good job!

Archived