So a kind young YCMer's status reminded me about this. But I have been thinking about how the rules are kinda weirdly located at times. They're not too hard to find but they also can be missed fairly easily. And are kinda scattered about. I was wondering if it might be logical to add a single section where all the rules get put. Something near the top that anyone would see (especially if they plan on going to Introductions).

Granted they are all in one place, sort of, but it's not the most obvious location and, as said, can be missed. Figured I'd suggest it and see what everyone thinks.

Original draft of the general YCM rules was in a singular thread in the News forum, however issue with that is that those rules are located only in THAT section, which makes it difficult for members to see them if they are viewing other areas. With an announcement, you can view them no matter what forum you are in. 

Most of the specific section rules are stickied threads at the top of their respective forums, so users can see them. To be fair, I think TCG (and Showcase) are the only areas that have the rulebook as an announcement; everywhere else uses stickied threads. 

To be fair:

Announcements can be shown in multiple areas without the need to post separate threads, but you can't announce any changes except by putting a "Last updated" thing in the title, and/or a status update, which will get lost. That, and it will fall on the member to actually read the announcement in the first place, and make sure they check it on a periodic basis. 

Sticky threads require that you post the threads separately for particular areas, yes, but at least you can manually announce updates so members have been given a visible alert that things have changed. Granted, it is still advised that a "last updated" thing be added in the thread title, especially if we make changes to the threads without a verbal warning. 

-----

I see where you're trying to go with this, but it may be easier if specific section rules stay around in their respective areas so they're easier to access for members; as opposed to having to jump to another forum outside the section to read that area's rules. 

Granted, I have seen other forums make a separate forum for all of the specific section rules, but I do not know how well that works out for them. 

-----

I would be fine with the site rules being pinned in the News section. Even though the rules are in announcements that always appear at the top of every forum section you visit, your attention tends to head towards the forum threads instead.

If posting site rules at the top of News is established, don't remove the announcements. It may seem redundant, but it can also be convenient.

I would be fine with the site rules being pinned in the News section. Even though the rules are in announcements that always appear at the top of every forum section you visit, your attention tends to head towards the forum threads instead.

If posting site rules at the top of News is established, don't remove the announcements. It may seem redundant, but it can also be convenient.

This.  The announcements serve as a very important reminder, that the rules might not just get left alone in "News" and be seen nowhere else.

Archived