New Volcanic Support (how original...)!

Pchi

So, the idea here is to provide assistance in areas where the deck is weak; primarily searching the Volcanics themselve and filling the field up.

UmfL0pS.jpg

Volcanic Napalm

Level 2/FIRE/Pyro-Type/Effect/ATK 300/DEF 200

Lore: If this card is sent from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Volcanic" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Volcanic Napalm". During your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Volcanic" monster in your Graveyard, except "Volcanic Napalm"; Special Summon it, but it cannot attack this turn. You can only use 1 "Volcanic Napalm" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Art credit tohttp://pentatree.deviantart.com/

I decided to word the second effect that way in order to allow a nice combo with Volcanic Doomfire (i.e.: SS-ing it during your opponent's Battle Phase and forcing their monsters to attack it with its effect), but I guess most of you would rather use it only to Xyz Summon XP

Though the first effect is brilliant given that you can activate multiple "Blaze Accelerator Reload"s in the same turn, given that you aren't trying to pull its activated effect more than once, this card's second effect is more than lackluster. While the first effect's amazing in that, if you've already got a Blaze Acc in the Grave and you banish it to send this card, you can add Scattershot or Counter to your hand immediately and activate a second BAR on the field immediately, either setting up your Graveyard in a single combo, or nuke/burning your opponent in a single move; the second effect's worthless given nobody in their right mind runs Doomfire in any 'meta' Volcanic build.

Instead, that effect should be akin to Rocket's effect in that it searches a "BAR", or more potently: sends one directly from the Deck to the Graveyard. This card would legitimately be a brilliant card if it, not only, could search Volcanics from the Deck, but could Foolish Burial BARs directly from the deck as well. It'd be like the new Alien support: borderline perfect for the playstyle of the Deck, and a single-handed @3 for the Deck, if you aren't stupid.

But it doesn't do that, sadly, which is a major bummer. Though, perhaps you'd give it an OPT eff overall to stop it from being sent and banished in the same turn, for balance reasons.

Ok, but TBH I wanted to do something for Doomfire since it's one of my favorite cards from the archetype, even if it doesn't see a lot of use. Besides, you can also revive Rocket for Rank 4 plays.

But you gave me an idea for a card that not only dumps "Blaze Accelerator" and "Volcanic" cards from the deck into the grave, but recovers them from the banished zone.

Archived