Ebon Sage (Dark Sage retrain) [written]

leafbladie

Okay, so with all the new Dark Magician support I feel like Konami just overlooks some of the bast stuff they could retrain to make these archetype better, so I wanted to give my take on a Dark Sage retrain that could do some damage.

Ebon Sage

Spellcaster-Type/Dark/Level 9/ATK 2800/DEF 3200 (Fusion monster)

"Dark Magician" + "Time Wizard"

When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can add 1 Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Dark Sage" once per turn. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, you can activate a Quick-Play Spell Card or a Trap Card from your hand.

Basically this card would give more use to Eye of Timaeus than Paladin for Spell Negation against Pendulums, and gives you a stronger Ebon High Magician effect, that can function as a decent wall, which I think Dark Magician could really use.

Considering that Dark Magician has a few more ways of coming out now (including Magician of Black Illusion), I could probably see them using this card with Eye. Suppose it'll help if Oblivion's (or High Magician if you want TCG names; going to use Oblivion for the purpose of this review) out of materials or you can't make him period (though you should be able to; least from what I've found out during testing). I really don't see you using regular Poly for this, as Time Wizard is still bad, unless they retrain that too, but doubting it.

I haven't tested Dark Magicians with Timaeus (probably should though for Paladin; Amulet's not that good and DMG Dragon Knight doesn't fit in there anyway), so not sure if they can fit it in here for this. I'd consider a Extra slot for it though, given that DM's have a lot of support cards now to get them out (Navigate, Eternal Soul, Black Illusion, etc) and can fill the requirement for Eye properly. And yeah, it has nice stats to handle itself when necessary. 

So yeah, it's a nice card that'll help Dark Magicians do what they need to better. Part of me is iffy about it being a strictly better Oblivion though, even if it doesn't float when it's destroyed. Put an OPT on that second effect though; otherwise it will get abused.

I have not much to add, but both effects really need a hard OPT, although timaeus itself has one, people find ways to abuse the first effect, the 2nd one, well the Xyz has limit on that effect due to materials, also there is makyura wich is banned for a reason, but its unfair comparing them since the latter is very easy to abuse while this is more exclusive.

Other than that, an excelent retrain for sage and an excelent target for timaeus

I like both criticisms, added a HOPT to the first effect, and an OPT to the second. I definitely did want to make it so this thing didn't float, or you'd have no reason not to run it over Ebon High Magician, other than Eye of Timaeus being completely unsearchable.

Archived