r8cp8qR.jpg

Trigneops

Rank 5 - EARTH - Dinosaur-type (Xyz) Monster

2 Level 5 Monsters

When this card is Xyz Summoned: you can target 1 Dinosaur or Rock-type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. Once per turn, when your opponent would activate a Spell or Trap card: detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; that card effect becomes: "When this card is activated, this card's controller loses 1000 LP". This card can attack your opponent directly, but if it does, use its DEF for damage calculation.

ATK 2300/DEF 1000

- - - - -

This card directly ties into that last Dinosaur card I made, Deciduoushark, in that it can be made with this guy easily, and on top of that, can revive said card for later. Yes, this is indeed to make Dinosaurs potent again.

The naming scheme behind this one is "Triceratops" + "Igneous", a kind of stone created from lava mixing with water, cooling and hardening said lava. This has relevance both for flavour (DinoStone revival, EARTH Attribute, Dinosaur-type), Deck relevance (Rocks are usually EARTH, Evols/Jurracs love FIRE (along with their Extra Deck equivalents), FIRE relating to lava.), and irl relevance (Increased volcanic activity post-meteor that wiped out the Dinos).

Yeah, I went balls deep with this one.

CnC papi's.

Well that's cute; a Rock or Dinosaur on Summon. The effect altering effect of this card is also neat, as it discourages the use of Spell/Trap Cards. And non-sequitur direct attack effect.

What helps this card is that the materials are generic, so even if you don't use Rock or Dinosaurs, you can still run this card for the second effect.

To be fair, Jurracs can't really use this (unless they make 2 Velphitos since that's their only Level 5, then Xyz into this, but that doesn't seem ideal considering they're a Synchro deck). I guess they could use it to revive their dead ED but yeah. Evols just have Darwino, and I'm not sure that's even used (considering they either want to Rank 4 into Laggia/Dolkka or 6 into Solda from what I know of them). 

That aside, Rank 5 isn't exactly common last time I checked in the competitive world, outside of maybe Artifacts if they can still work nowadays (and I guess that ED Monarch thing that won a regionals this year). Only Deck I can think of that can realistically even do it [use its on-summon thing] is Chronomalies, but those are far from meta. 

----

In any case, second effect is pretty nice and can deter the opponent a bit from triggering their key S/T (or even setting Pendulum Scales since it'll burn them hard); especially if you can get them to the point where triggering their own S/Ts will make them lose (low LP). Direct attack ability is nice; 1000 isn't really too much, but it's enough to do what it needs to. For the most part, it's a nice generic that can mess up your opponent and get around any stronger monsters if needed. Would be nice if there were a Deck that could use its first effect, but suppose it won't happen unless Konami decides to give Dinosaur or Rock decks more toys to Rank 5 consistently (or even more Main Deck 5s to begin with; I guess you can Instant Fusion Pragtical or something for 1 of the mats, but is it worth it for them?); not that being unable to use this effect most of the time kills this card's playability. 

Thanks to you all for the support, and yeah, I realize 5 is an awkward number for any Dinosaur deck to pull off, especially the current archetypetual ones we have now, but that's the good in it. If you can make even one of these, not only can you get a Dino back for later, but you can interrupt your opponent, and possibly hit them for a total of 2000 damage between 2 turns. Even if you weren't running Dinos, that second effect is the real reason this card exists: to give decks that lack interruption the ability to, well, interrupt.

Anyways, any ideas on how to make this card better or more balanced?

Also, bump.

Archived