Grief Dragons(written)

TF2_The_Scout

Grief Dragon-Denial

Level 6

EARTH

Dragon/Pendulum/Effect

ATK: 2500 DEF: 1400

Scale 1

Pendulum-Once per turn, if your opponent Summons 1(and only 1) monster: You can target that monster; Change it face-down.

Monster-If this card is Pendulum Summoned, it cannot destroyed by card effects. Once per turn: You can tribute 1 monster; Destroy 1 monster your opponent controls.

Grief Dragon-Anger

Level 6

FIRE

Dragon/Pendulum/Effect

Scale 1

Pendulum-Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grief Dragon" monster you control; It gains 500 ATK this turn.

Monster-If this card is Pendulum Summoned, it gains 500 ATK. Once per turn: You can tribute 1 monster; This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls this turn, but all battle damage is halved.

Grief Dragon-Bargaining

Level 6

WIND

Dragon/Pendulum/Effect

Scale 7

Pendulum-Once per turn, if your opponent activates a card effect: You can pay 500 LP; Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy the card(this is a quick effect).

Monster-If this card is Pendulum Summoned: Gain 500 LP. Once per turn: You can tribute 1 monster; Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

Grief Dragon-Depression

Level 6

DARK

Dragon/Pendulum/Effect

Scale 7

Pendulum-Once per turn, if your opponent adds a card from the Deck to Hand(except by drawing): You can pay 1000 LP; Banish 1 random card from your opponent's Hand.

Monster-If this card is Pendulum Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; Return it to Hand. You can tribute 1 monster; Send 1 random card from your opponent's Extra Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, this card gains 500 ATK this turn. You can only use each effect of "Grief Dragon-Depression" once per turn.

Grief Dragon-Acceptance

Level 6

LIGHT

Dragon/Pendulum/Effect

Scale 1

Pendulum-Once per turn, if you Pendulum Summon "Grief Dragon" monsters: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; Destroy it. The targeted card cannot be activated in response to this effect.

Monster-If this card is Pendulum Summoned: You can add 1 "Grief Dragon" or "The Grieving Cycle" from your Deck or Graveyard to Hand. You only gain this effect of "Grief Dragon-Acceptance" once per turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grief Dragon" monster in your Graveyard, then tribute 1 monster; Special Summon it.

----

The Grieving Cycle

Continuous Spell

You can only control 1 "The Grieving Cycle." Once per turn, if you tribute a "Grief Dragon" monster to activate a card effect: You can add 1 "Grief Dragon" monster from your Deck to Hand. You can pay 1500 LP; You can Pendulum Summon twice this turn. You can only Pendulum Summon "Grief Dragon" monsters the turn you activate this effect. You can only activate this effect of "The Grieving Cycle" once per turn.

Price of Grief

Spell

Discard 1 card; Activate 1 "Grief Dragon" Pendulum monster directly from your Deck in either of your unoccupied pendulum zones. Its Pendulum effects are negated this turn and it is destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use 1 "Price of Grief" once per turn.

----

Repression of Grief

Counter Trap

If your opponent activates a card effect that would destroy cards you control: Tribute 1 "Grief Dragon" monster from your Hand; Negate the effect, and if you do, destroy the card, then target 1 card your opponent controls and destroy it. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish it; Add 1 "Grief Dragon" card from your Deck to Hand. You can only use each effect of "Repression of Grief" once per turn.

Oh man, Pendulum Monsters based on the stages of grief. Absolutely riveting! Plus, it's flavourful, because everyone knows that Pendulum Cards are the main cause of grief in 90% of Yu-Gi-Oh! players today! Jokes aside, let's get into this review. EARTH Dragons, oh boy.

- - - - -

GD Denial: While his Pendulum Effect is good, it's very situational, having little to no effect on most Pendulum Decks late game, but it has the possibility of decimating decks that rely on a single, pivotal Special Summon. As far as costs go, for a pseudo-floodgate it's relatively good, though I'd prefer if you had to discard as well as pay the fine of a grand. But you could leave it as-is and have a balanced, if not cheeky card.

Its monster effects are so generic that it's hard to say that for how easy it is to get it out that it's bad. It'd be better if its effect was non-targeting destruction, or could destroy Spell and Trap cards as well as monsters, but since it can't do either, Denial's incredibly average. Plus, you have to tribute a second monster to activate its effect, so it's like you had to double tribute summon this card. Though, assuming you Pendulum summon this guy, he could be a pain to get over, since he'd be a reviving, card destructing, effect removal protected 2500 body, which is pretty nice.

Overall- It's okay at best in monster form, but in Pendulum form it's actually really reliable and annoying to deal with, having the ability to negate you 7 times before gaming its owner, on ideal conditions. 3/5

GD Anger: Now this is a good Pendulum effect. Not as potent as Denial's, but it's flavourful given that Anger = Strength most of the time. I have no issues with this, even if 1000's a bit scary without a cost.

So this + itself = Obelisk that can attack multiple times? Scary. I'd give it the effect so that it either deals your opponent half battle damage, or so that they don't take damage from this thing when it attacks them directly, just to balance it out. Because a 4000 beater that can run over very monster your opponent controls is OP, no matter how you throw that salad.

Overall- Like Denial, it has its ups and downs, but as a monster it really shines as the resident beater of the group, especially if you have Anger^2. 3/5

GD Bargaining: So Denial's twin brother, I guess? Personally, I'm not a fan of how you worded this. I can understand the give and take aspect of it, but given that we literally have a card in the game called 'Dark Bribe', which is intended to be the same as this, but from a less metaphysical standpoint, I'd base this card's effect on that card's effect: negate a card effect but let your opponent draw 1 card. It'd make Bargaining less impressive than it is now, but it'd be more flavourful than it is now, since Denial's more likely to cause you harm than bargaining is, unless you bet your life, body, or livelihood.

I'm guessing the OPT LP gain is in reference to how bargaining can give the person going through these stages of grief and depression a short spark of hope before they lash out at their friends and family later on? (Burn for 1000.) I mean... it's just not good. The burn damage is okay at best (this late game would be hell to see) and tribute fodder at worst. Which means it's useless if you don't have another GD on the field (but you probably will late game). Honestly this card is just... mediocre.

Overall- Its first effect's nothing to scoff at, and this + Denial would be a pain to deal with during your opponent's turn, but would ultimately be useless as a scale since they're both 1s; as a monster this guy is the definition of tribute fodder, being all but useless as anything else. 2.5/5

GD Depression: Honestly, just make this guy have Dark Law's effect where the card is banished, but keep the cost of 1000 LP going. 900's a random number, the random discard is useless, and would be better suited as a random banish given how deep depression can be, and how much it can affect your opponent. (Flavourful, right?)

Honestly this guy's field effects are just as damn good as his Pendulum Effect. Return to the hand makes most ExDeck cards pointless, but on top of that, at the cost of only 1 monster you can end up making your opponent ditch their boss monsters and outs only to boost this guy's power? Magnificent. My only suggestion is to give him a HOPT so that way you don't ditch 2 cards from your opponent's deck per turn, and make double 3000 beaters with the potential to go up to 4000.

Overall- It's ironic how Depression is the best in this Archetype, (God that's a fucced statement...) especially with how crippling it usually is for everybody affected by it, but I guess this card simply accurately shows us the true power of depression. 4/5

GD Acceptance: Not... really sure how flavour affects Acceptance's Pendulum Effect, but at least it's a decent one. I mean, it'd be better if it was just general removal (so that way it could hit things like Kozmotown and the Monarch Field and Continuous Spells) but as is it's OK at best. Honestly, I'd expect this thing to solely help you out, rather than harm your opponent, but sometimes you've gotta choose balance over flavah-flav.

Searcher = Glue for the deck. Also, good on ya with that HOPT to stop you from searching 3 cards in one turn with this card alone. I salute you for fixing an obvious mistake a lot of us make when making cards. Plus, it can grab your Cont. Spell from the grave if it gets 2wisted or MST'd. Oh, and it's a Monster Reborn, all rolled into one package. It's a saving grace, if you have a set Pendulum Scale.

Overall- Balanced yet powerful, and on top of that useful. 5/5

The G Cycle: Search on search action! And neato effect to double Pendulum Summon. While that MIGHT have been OP is you used anything but Level 6s (since the R6nk pool is weak af for the most part) you make it so that you can ONLY P.Summon GDs the turn you activate it. And HOPT, too. If i were you, I'd make it so you can only SS GDs the turn you use the double Pendulum Summon effect, for balance reasons.

Overall- It pays you back twinfold for the sacrifices you make, and it rewards you at a meager cost something that most decks could only DREAM of. 5/5

- - - - -

Overall, this is a very interesting, if not dark deck. I'm glad that the cards are potent yet simple, and though I doubt they'd stay the same name-wise, I could definitely see Cucknami making these guys into a villain's deck in the Anime, only for him to realize the errors of his ways, and have him gain Acceptance, both as a card, and in actuality thanks to the actions of the YGO gang. Good job, bro! Even so, in some areas the archetype was lacking, and that was mostly indiversity. Only in Attribute and Effect were these cards different, and that made it difficult to really give them a good analysis, since I was unable to attribute certain cards with ATK and DEF values. While that's mainly nit-picking, it's still flavour, and that's something I adore, personally. 3.5/5

Following this, I changed Anger to half the damage it inflicts and reduced the Pendulum Effect to 500 instead of 1000. I changed Depression to a cost of 1000 LP and it now banishes a card instead of discarding it. I changed Acceptance to just hit backrow instead of a face-down card. I also gave Depression a HOPT.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, before I start reviewing them, what have you changed? Just want to make sure my review doesn't overlap with Fushi's too much.

I changed Anger to half the damage it inflicts and reduced the Pendulum Effect to 500 instead of 1000. I changed Depression to a cost of 1000 LP and it now banishes a card instead of discarding it. I changed Acceptance to just hit backrow instead of face-down cards. Bargaining's LP gain is on summon instead of during the standby phase and Denial's effect no longer targets.

Okay, I’ve read Fushi’s review, and I agree with a lot except in a few circumstances, so I’m just going to talk about the changes you made, and the few disagreeances I had.

Grief Dragon - Denial: Cool idea for the pendulum effect, however I think it should pop itself after you use it, so the effect isn’t reusable unless you place it back as a scale.

Grief Dragon - Anger: I’m a sucker for multi-attackers, so this really gets me excited. That gain of 500 ATK for being pendulum summoned seems a bit strange though. I mean you’re basically always going to be Pendulum Summon this monster, so it might as well always be 3000. However, that’s be a bit strong, so why not instead make it so that it gains 500 ATK along with that multi-attack ability from tributing a Grief Dragon. Also, you honestly don’t need to worry about halving battle damage. With how you have it now, its ATK will reach 3500 at most if you have two Angers (one in Pendulum and one on field). Since you limited it to only monsters, say against 3 Monarchs, you’ll only deal 2100 damage, and that multi-attack ability is actually quite situational depending on the deck you’re facing. I admit for field wiping potential, it is a pretty strong card, but the card has no protection to speak of, so it could get Castel’ed next turn with no trouble.

Grief Dragon - Bargaining: Cool idea about its effect when Pendulum summoned, but put a HOPT on it, or you’ll be gaining 3000 LP in one turn potentially. Also, about that Pendulum effect, it’s basically a better Solemn Judgment. Again, best to probably have it pop itself after use so it can’t be reused another turn. Also, make the cost higher, like at least 2000 LP.

Grief Dragon - Depression: The change to banishing seems a bit strong, but it only works against decks searching out stuff, not ones using draw power cards like Trade-In. But oh wow, that effect upon being Pendulum Summoned. You make it non-target and return 1 monster upon being Pendulum Summoned. I mean this is like Kirin and Ignister had a child, except no cost and no targeting. And it’s infinitely reusable thanks to being a Pendulum too. I think you really should just make this have the effect that it can return 1 monster to the hand by tributing 1 monster on your side of the field, but even that might be a bit strong. It might be best to consider making this an extra deck monster or something, so that it requires more investment, that’s my only recommendation.

Grief Dragon - Acceptance: The change to general backrow removal was good, and beneficial for this archetype, as backrow would probably be this deck’s greatest weakness.

Grief Dragon - Acceptance: Fine, but it’d probably change it to only search if you summon it from the hand, not from the Extra Deck. That might be something to consider with the other monsters too. They only get those extra effects when summoned from the hand, so they’re not too strong.

• 1 month later...

Archived