Frost/flare (32 Cards)

senorchavez

Hi there! This will be the very first Archetype that I have made on this site! I made this set of cards with the intent of having 1 archetype with 2 different playstyles that can function well together. I don't think I'm that good at playing YGO or writing cards for that matter, but I'm willing to take any pointers and the like! Hope you have fun reading my cards, and sorry for any problems in advance. (´・ω・)っ由

[spoiler=Monsters][spoiler=Soulflare]b3VC1IB.jpg

LORE: Once per Battle Phase, this card can make a second attack on monsters. This attacking card cannot be destroyed by battle. If it attacks or is attacked: You can have this card gain 200 ATK for each "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster on the field.

rS4rtHb.jpg

LORE: If you control a face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, you can target 1 card in your opponents hand and declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap). If it is of the declared type, return it to the bottom of the Deck. If the target isn't of the declared type, send this card to the Graveyard.

tfNMtZC.jpg

LORE: If you control another face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster, you can discard 1 card: target 1 Spell/Trap card; destroy it and inflict 500 Life Points of Damage to your opponent. You can only use the effect of "Soulflare Spirit" once per turn.

IEJvViS.jpg

LORE: If this monster attacks a Defense-position monster whose DEF is lower than this cards ATK: Destroy that monster without damage calculation and inflict damage equal to that monsters DEF. If you control no other "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster on your side of the field, switch this card into Defense Position during the End Phase.

lZ0tVIe.jpg

LORE: Can be Normal Summoned/Set without a Tribute. If this card is Tribute Summoned by using a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster as a Tribute, this card gains the ATK equal to half of the Tributed monsters ATK. All "Soulflare" and "Frostheart" monsters you control gain 400 ATK and DEF. If this card destroys a monster by battle: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that monster's ATK.

pJSFH3M.jpg

LORE: Once per turn, when your opponent activates a card/effect, you can activate 1 of these:

-If it is Main Phase 1, you can discard 1 "Frostheart" monster; negate the activation and destroy the card.

-If it is the Battle Phase, you can discard 1 "Soulflare" monster; negate the activation and destroy the card.

D8iZeD5.jpg

LORE: If this card is discarded to activate the effect of a "Soulflare" monster: You can Special Summon it in Defense Position. During your Standby Phase: Return this face-up card to the hand unless you reveal a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster in your hand. Once while face-up on the field, during either player's turn, you can reveal any number of "Soulfire" or "Frostheart" in your hand: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for each, but if you do, this card cannot attack directly while it is face-up on the field.

9yNtxZA.jpg

LORE: Once per turn, you can discard 1 card: Special Summon 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster from your Graveyard. You can only control 1 "Soulflare Summoner".

MavzLyr.jpg

LORE: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 WATER and 1 FIRE monster in your Graveyard OR (from your Graveyard) by banishing 2 WATER and 2 FIRE monsters in your Graveyard, including a "Soulflare" and a "Frostheart" monster. Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and target 1 monster your opponent controls whose Level is lower than this card's; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage equal to half its ATK. This card cannot attack the turn you use this effect.

cA8v5Bo.jpg

LORE: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or Graveyard) by banishing 5 "Soulfire" monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until after damage calculation. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card from your hand to target 1 card your opponent controls and 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster in your Graveyard; destroy the first target, and if you do, add the second target to your hand. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

[spoiler=Frostheart]BbGLcZI.jpg

LORE: If this card is Special Summoned or flipped face-up: You can target 1 Continuous Trap Card in your Graveyard; banish that card. If you do, this card activates and gains that card's effect.

oGg0sl8.jpg

LORE: If a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster you control is attacked while this card is in your Graveyard: you can banish this card from your Graveyard; target the attacking monster, negate the attack then end the Battle Phase. During your next Standby Phase after activating this effect: target 1 banished card; add it to your hand.

znWNuck.jpg

LORE: When this monster is destroyed by battle: draw 1 card. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 card in you hand; Special Summon this card.

mqPt59z.jpg

LORE: Once per turn, you can target 1 card on the field, flip a coin: If it lands on Heads, banish the target until the end of your turn. If it lands on Tails, banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

jPvtJ6k.jpg

LORE: When you Summon this card, switch it into Defense Position and place 1 Guard Counter on it. When your opponent Special Summons a monster, you can place 1 Guard Counter on a face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster you control. If a face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster would be destroyed: remove 1 Guard Counter from that monster instead.

4vdfkvH.jpg

LORE: When this face-down card is flipped face-up by an opponents monster (by battle or card effect): banish both this card and that monster until your next Standby Phase.

gkfoIoC.jpg

LORE: Once per turn, if you control another face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster: you can banish 1 monster from your hand or side of the field; Special Summon 1 banished monster with a different name to your side of the field. During the End Phase, banish the monster Special Summoned by this effect and return the monster used for the Special Summon of that monster to the field.

UarRDA4.jpg

LORE: Up to twice per turn: You can target 1 monster on the field and increase or decrease their Level by 1. If you use this card as a Synchro Material for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon monster: You can banish this card and the other Synchro Materials to increase the ATK and DEF of the Synchro Summoned monster by its Level x200.

Mu7KJTZ.jpg

LORE: Cannot be Special Summoned. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster from your Graveyard; this card gains ATK equal to that card's ATK or DEF (whichever is higher). You cannot activate this effect if this card's ATK is higher than 700. During your opponents End Phase, you can return this card's ATK to its original ATK; Special Summon the monster banished by this card's effect.

BGmDAFm.jpg

LORE: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by banishing 3 "Frostheart" monsters on your side of the field and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this monster is Special Summoned: Banish all other monsters on the field and gain 500 Life Points x number of cards banished by this effect. During each players End Phase, both players target 1 of their cards that were banished by this cards effect and return them to the field.

[spoiler=Spells]73fbvFD.jpg

LORE: Equip only to a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster. It gains 900 ATK. When the equipped monster destroys an opponents monster by battle: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.

l7gnLBv.jpg

LORE: Tribute 1 face-up "Soulflare" monster; send 1 monster on your opponents side of the field to the Graveyard. Add 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster from the Deck to your hand.

6ZvXtUK.jpg

LORE: Once per turn, if a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster destroys an opponents monster by battle: Special Summon 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster whose Level is lower than the destroyed monster from your hand or Deck.

arb1HUj.jpg

LORE: Target 1 face-up "Soulflare" monster on the field: Pay 500 Life Points; It gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase.

L18NbyJ.jpg

LORE: When a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster destroyes an opponents monster by battle: Inflict Damage equal to the destroyed monsters Level x 300.

[spoiler=Traps]T7v0m9Y.jpg

LORE: Equip this card to a face-up "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster. Your opponent cannot attack any other monster on the field. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle, destroy this card instead.

0Aw8fw8.jpg

LORE: When an opponents monster declares an attack: Target the attacking monster; negate the attack and reduce its ATK and DEF to 0. If you do, Special Summon 1 "Frostheart" monster from your Graveyard.

3rJAQhC.jpg

LORE: Lower the ATK of all of your opponents monsters by 500 until the End Phase.

CDsUk9d.jpg

LORE: Target 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster that is banished or in your Graveyard: Special Summon it. When this card leaves the field, banish the monster Special Summoned by this effect. When that target leaves the field, destroy this card.

3gohCsb.jpg

LORE: If you would take damage from battle or your opponents card effect: You gain that amount in Life Points instead. During the End Phase: add 1 "Soulfire" or "Frostheart" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

[spoiler=Extra]C3A8r62.jpg

LORE: 1 WATER Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters

While this card is face-up on the field, it is also treated as a FIRE monster. Once per tur,: if your opponent activates a card effect that targets 2 or more "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster(s) you control: banish 1 "Frostheart" monster in your Graveyard; negate the activation and remove the card from play.

V25mIGC.jpg

LORE: 1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more Non-Tuner WATER monsters

While this card is face-up on the field, it is also WATER-Attribute. When this monster is Synchro Summoned: Target 1 of the non-Tuner Synchro Materials used for this cards Synchro Summon; Special Summon it. If this card destroys an opponents monster by battle, send 1 card from their hand to the Graveyard.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the images used for the card art. Any and all media used in this post is the sole property of the creator(s).

UPDATE (8-11-16): Adjusted the effects of Soulflare Swordsman, Summoner, Spirit, Scout, Gazuruu, Spearman, Berserker, and Frostflare Queen Glacieus.

Just edited it via mobile, dunno how it worked out.

An archetype with actual generated cards? Blasphemy!

Anywho, on to the cards:

Swordsman:

Mediocre beater; it really doesn't do anything else.

Scout:

Nice; a self-Summoning Tuner for the archetype with a cute effect that can mess with their hand.

Spirit: High ATK body (for a Level 4) with a meh Spell/Trap removal effect.

Cavalier:

Mediocre removal with inhibition to justify the ATK.

Berserker:

Damages your opponent for destroying, but I feel that inhibition at the end is unnecessary.

Archer:

A cute little negator; shame it's only during the Battle Phase, so there's only so much you can negate.

Spearman:

Pointless (at least the inhibition is), as it doesn't do anything outside of.increase it's ATK and attack.

Summoner:

Alright; a monster that Summons the archetype monsters. But honestly, remove that inhibition (effects are negated inhibition); msot of these monsters wouldn't really do anything if they were brought back.

Sorcerer:

Alright; a boss that's fairly easy to Summon, mediocre removal effect, but neat aftermath (the damage effect) regardless.

King:

This one would hardly (if at all) ever see use, as it requires you to Tribute 3 Soulflare monsters, which is hard, as it's hard to even get two on the field. And it's effect does nothing impressive for such a Summoning cost.

Elemental:

It's okay; a little slow, but maybe you could use it with Call of the Haunted.

Guardian:

It's a cute battle disrupter, but I feel it's cost should just be it banishing itself.

Phoenix:

Something with a potential draw effect, and can self-Summon. Impressive. You could easily set up Xyz or even Synchro plays with this.

Fairy:

Could you clarify this one's effect?

Gardna:

A cute little protection, but it'd seem kind of cumbersome to get this card on the field in the first place.

Dragon Tamer:

Really, the only benefit is the fact it's a Tuner monster and it has Level manipulation; nothing else.

Warbeast:

It can increase it's ATK and initiate Summons? Slow, but it's something.

Glacieus:

Immediately a much better payoff for the Summoning condition. Though, I feel that last effect is unnecessary.

Spells

Galvant:

Mediocre Spell/Trap removal with protection; the end. There's nothing else to it.

Eruption:

Pointless; even with the ATK gain, that's still not enough for them to survive or leave an impact.

Conversion:

Ah; here we are. Something to imitate Summons. The one card the archetype would use often.

Burst:

Pointless.

Aftermath:

Your opponent would hardly be hurt by this.

Shield:

This would likely be removed faster than the monster. There's no need for it.

Resurgence:

Counter Trap Cards usually work against your opponent; I feel this card would work better if it negated the attack and reduced the attackin monster's ATK and DEF instead. Not only that, removing the banish during the End Phase part would be better.

Blizzard:

Pointless

Rebirth:

An in-archetype Call of the Haunted. Slow, but it at least helps bring out more monsters.

Recovery:

Pointless.

Synchro:

It looks cool, but I think you could just generalize it's effect to:

During either player's turn, if your opponent activates a card effect that targets 1 or more cards on the field: You can banish 1 "Frostheart" or "Soulflare" card in your Graveyard; negate the activation and if you do, banish the card.

Frozzar:

An okay beater that can Summon 1 of the materials. That's about it.

In conclusion, while they do have a few practical cards, most of the archetype is very sluggish, and wouldn't survive long.

Fairy was supposed to be a card that could banish almost any card on the field, but I didn't know any way to balance it out for such a low-level monster. You declare the Zone that you want to target, then roll a 6-sided die. If you roll a 1-5, you target the related Zone and banish any card in that zone. In hindsight it was prolly cumbersome; might change the effect.

Thanks for the CnC, I'll change my cards' effects so they could slightly better.

Fairy was supposed to be a card that could banish almost any card on the field, but I didn't know any way to balance it out for such a low-level monster. You declare the Zone that you want to target, then roll a 6-sided die. If you roll a 1-5, you target the related Zone and banish any card in that zone. In hindsight it was prolly cumbersome; might change the effect.

Thanks for the CnC, I'll change my cards' effects so they could slightly better.

Wouldn't it be to target a card or choose it as opposed to declare the card's name?

Really, one thing they need is to Summon easier. Too little of them can Summon easily.

I suppose I can make a Support Card or two that can aid in getting the smaller monsters on the field. I needed to adjust some of the effects anyway, do it wasn't for naught.

No; I mean that a good number of the monsters should come with effects that would help them get on the field like "While you control a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster: You can Special Summon this card from you hand.".

Soulfire Swordsman

It is fine even though a little too simple. What hurts it is how it can only ever reach 2000 ATK on its own. Then the multi-attack effect is the one being generic, causing the boost effect to have to be kept in check like this. In my opinion, it'd be better if it gained ATK permanently on his own and improved that boost depending on how many companions it has on the field. Of course that'd also mean the boost would have to be lowered too because 400 can add up fast when we talk of a multi-attacker Then nerf the multi-attack to battling monsters to reduce a landslide effect that having this card's huge ATK become an easy OTK when the opponent's field is wiped. My suggestion would look something along these lines:

Once per Battle Phase, this card can make a second attack on monsters. This attacking card cannot be destroyed by battle. If it attacks or is attacked: You can have this card gain 200 ATK for each "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster on the field.

^I added the battle protection when it attacks so that it can clash against stronger monsters without fear, but only in the attacking end. During its second attack while on his own, it'll have the 2000 ATK your effect originally gave him, but will also keep them. If you have an average of 3 monsters out during the duel, it'd have 2200 ATK after during the first attack and 2800 ATK during the second attack. It'd be a decent beater, and if it survives, it'll pay off. 

Soulflare Scout

This is a minor nitpick, but when you talk about cards in your hand, Deck, or Extra Deck, the game cannot officially "target" them. Designating cards from the field, Graveyard, or banished, before the resolution of an effect, that is targeting. Anything else usually says something like "designate", "select" or much more commonly "choose". Choosing also doesn't usually happen at the same time targeting would, so you only "choose" when the effect resolves, rather than when it activates. It is just a general rule rather than something pointing at your card.

About your card more specifically, I don't like the risk of losing the card. Then again, this card is already a self-Special Summoning Tuner with one of those rare instances where the card you are selecting from the hand is not random, making it great to combo with hand-revealing effects. With that much going for it, it is fine xD

Soulflare Spirit

I suggest making it able to destroy any Spell/Trap on the field. I know it is gimmicky but I like the option of being able to destroy my own stuff. I don't have any other objections xD

Soulflare Cavalier

It doesn't need to have a drawback. I'd say the position changing effect needs to be either removed or changed to an optional and quick effect to give you ways to cover yourself up.

Otherwise it is fine. Remember that the way it is written, it can only automatically destroy Defense Position monsters that were already face-up when it started attacking because you cannot check a face-down Defense Position monster's DEF to see if it can be destroyed by this card's effect until it is already too late.

Soulflare Berserker

It is weak for a high-Level monster, and it also doesn't do enough burn, but more importantly, for a hefty monster like this, it is more crucial that it either supports well or is supported well by the archetype. In this case maybe making it weaker in ATK but with the intention of it having a built-in boost. Maybe something like:

Level 5

ATK 800 / DEF 1000

Can be Normal Summoned/Set without a Tribute. If this card is Tribute Summoned by using a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster as a Tribute, this card gains the ATK and DEF that monster had on the field. All "Soulflare" and "Frostheart" monsters you control gain 400 ATK and DEF. If this card destroys a monster by battle: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that monster's ATK.

^That way it doesn't stay dead in your hand if you lack a Tribute for it (but it'll be weak if you do), and more importantly: It can be a very good beater.

Even if you Tributed something with 1200 ATK for it, it'll be at 2400 taking into account the +400 boost I added to it also affects it. In the best case, you'll have something like a 2800 ATK Soulflare Swordsman (the way I suggested it at least) become this card at 4000 ATK. Since the burn damage stayed at half the ATK, there is nothing to worry about it being too good or anything.

Also, with those 800/1000 stats, there are a couple Monarch support mini monsters that can Summon them out. Just for having some more options xD

Soulflare Archer

Battle Phase negation is a very narrow thing. I suppose you are worried it might be too good to negate at any point. I have a suggestion that might be a good compromise and benefit from the fact you are running 2 archetypes here.

Once per turn, when your opponent activates a card/effect, you can activate 1 of these:

-If it is Main Phase 1, you can discard 1 "Frostheart" monster; negate the activation and destroy the card.

-If it is the Battle Phase, you can discard 1 "Soulflare" monster; negate the activation and destroy the card.

^that way you have to choose either one or the other, but not both, and even if you could do multiple copies of it, your archetype from what I've read up until now doesn't exactly excel at replenishing your hand so it is fine. It can leave Main Phase 2 be because that's just the preparing to resist the opponent phase, by that point you should be able to have a next turn. xD

Soulflare Spearman

Another heavy monster that doesn't benefit or take benefit from the rest of the archetype. At this point I've noticed that 2 of the cards I've already read, plus the card that goes after this one (Spirit, Archer, and Summoner) all need to discard, so why not make this card take advantage of that? As it stands, it only really gains ATK and your discards are better put to use by the other monsters I just mentioned. I suggest something along these lines:

If this card is discarded to activate the effect of a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster: You can Special Summon it in Defense Position. During your Standby Phase: Return this face-up card to the hand unless you reveal a "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster in your hand. Once while face-up on the field, during either player's turn, you can reveal any number of "Soulfire" or "Frostheart" in your hand: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for each, but if you do, this card cannot attack directly while it is face-up on the field.

^I changed "discard" to "reveal" so it wouldn't conflict with the other cards you use that want you to discard for them, because resources are valuable.

I also made him a card that can generate quick presence as a wall or be a huge beater, the way you intended him to. However, thought it'd be cool to have it arrive upon discard, making your hand less strained. Finally, the "return to hand" effect is mandatory because you will easily be able to fulfill the condition to prevent it from happening yourself, but if you wanted to do something like Creature Swap (for example), you'd be able to give this monster away and your opponent would be forced to put it back into YOUR hand from their side as soon as their turn began, giving you a discard for Archer's effect. That's my reasoning behind those changes at least.

Soulflare Summoner

I'd personally change the "send from your hand to the Graveyard" sentences for "discard", just to give them all some unity to work with my suggestion on the above card. Also, just "discarding" works under effects that'd otherwise banish your card (like Macro Cosmos or Masked HERO Darklaw) while "send to the Graveyard" doesn't.

Another thing, you should be able to control more than one at a time. I don't think you need that restriction. You are paying up a fair cost for it.

If you want, instead of the "you can only have 1 of this guy out" clause, maybe something like "If a monster with this card's name is Summoned this way, it must be in Defense Position" or something along those lines. I just think the possibilities for Xyz Summoning with multiples of a Level 7 Spellcaster are great. Not to mention this card doesn't have an easy way to Summon it, and in this case, I won't be suggesting one either since the card looks fine in that regard.

Soulflare Sorcerer

Here's where all the other above cards need to start paying up for the way they've left your resources up. I suggest giving this card a "from the Graveyard" use that fulfills itself at some point in the duel and onward. Like a mid-to-late game boss that rather than advantage, demands setup. This is the suggestion I'm talking about:

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 WATER and 1 FIRE monster in your Graveyard OR (from your Graveyard) by banishing 2 WATER and 2 FIRE monsters in your Graveyard, including a "Soulflare" and a "Frostheart" monster. Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and target 1 monster your opponent controls whose Level is lower than this card's; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage equal to half its ATK. This card cannot attack the turn you use this effect.

^It is a generic Special Summon for that Attribute combination, but if used in this theme, it can be discarded by another card's effect throughout the duel, and when there's enough build-up in the Graveyard, it can come out and do something. Though I'd recommend if you do end up using this suggestion, that you reduce its ATK to something like 2300 or 2400, or it could feel too big. Plus, I halved the effect damage it produces, because it is very likely to keep producing it.

Soulflare King Gazuruu

Once again, I think it'd be neat for these bosses to come out of the Graveyard using the members lost throughout the gameplay as ammo, that way rather than being dead draws that take up lots of resources to Summon and even more to use their effects, they would be putting setup up to good use. In this case I'd suggest the following:

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or Graveyard) by banishing 5 "Soulfire" monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until after damage calculation. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card from your hand to target 1 card your opponent controls and 1 "Soulflare" or "Frostheart" monster in your Graveyard; destroy the first target, and if you do, add the second target to your hand. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

^I increased the Summoning cost to 5 because it'd be harder to have it appear more than twice per game that way, and because the image is Hao Asakura with one of the 5 elemental spirits of Shaman King, so I thought it'd be nice to give that a little nod too xD 

I'd also change its DEF to 200. It cannot be Summoned by Soulflare Summoner and it cannot be revived by Rekindling regardless of stats, but there's a Flamvell monster that would be able to search it out if it had 200 DEF, and although it isn't an incredibly big thing, I thought it'd be a neat addition.

Finally, I changed its "discard to destroy" to a "one per turn" since it is still a "destroy anything" effect in a 3k body that self-revives and can attack without worries, but also gave it a toolbox option from the Graveyard so that it also gives to the archetype rather than just receive from it.

I don't usually review sets, and especially not ones with 30+ cards, and I've been writing this post for the last hour and 40 minutes, and just covered the Main Deck Soulflare monsters. I'll leave the rest for another time and keep building up from there. For now, I hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying Nyx; would gone in another, possibly worse, direction if you didn't.

And thanks, Sleepy, for suggesting adjustments that I probably would not have come up with (mainly because my mind is mostly on another custom set). I'll adjust the Soulflares accordingly and await your reviews on the Frosthearts an so on.

Archived