[Finished]CC Monthly Series [August 2016] | JUDGING

(( Deadline is August 21 so I'm safe :V ))

I'd like to enter too, and this is my entry, written format this time:

[spoiler=submission]

Cosmic Runner

LIGHT

Level 4

Warrior/Tuner/Effect

Xyz Monsters you control gain 600 ATK and DEF. This card cannot be destroyed by battle with a monster that has 2500 or less ATK. A Synchro or Xyz Monster summoned by using this card as material gains this effect:

*When this card is summoned: You can detach up to 2 Xyz Materials from Xyz Monsters on the field, and if you do, cards you currently control cannot leave the field by your opponent's card effects until the end of their next turn.

ATK/1800    DEF/1500

ill join this kinda late. a little surprised no one made ultimate athlete support. guess we just forgot about the archetype.

edit:

U.A. Referee's Judgement

Continuous Spell 

Once per turn, if you control a "U.A." monster: You can reveal a "U.A." monster from your card; reduce that revealed monster's level by 2 until the end of the turn; also, if you summon that monster this turn, it's effects cannot be negated until the standby phase of your next turn.

idk. i figured it would help with their problems a bit. 

Lmao, so this came off the top of my head:

Gotta Go Fast!

Quickplay Spell

Target 1 card you control; once during this turn, if it would be removed from the field by an opponent's card or effect, it is not removed. During the End Phase of the turn that this card is activated: You can pay 100 LP; draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Gotta Go Fast!" per turn.

Obviously a Usain Bolt/Sonic the Hedgehog reference, Lol. 100 LP = 100 metres. Draw "1" card is referring to him always getting first place in 100 m. XD

Here's cheers to those warning points from back then as well, lmao.

[spoiler=Pass Play]passplay_zpsno60vcqu.png

Pass Play

Continuous Spell Card

Effect: You can only activate this Spell Card if you control 2 or more face-up monsters on your field. When this card is activated: Place 1 Ball Counter on 1 face-up Attack Position monster that you control. If a monster with a Ball Counter would be destroyed by battle or by a card effect: Remove 1 Ball Counter from that monster, and if you do, change that monster to face-down Defense Position (you still take battle damage), then place 1 Ball Counter on 1 face-up Attack Position monster you control.  During the End Phase, remove 1 Ball Counter from 1 face-up monster you control and place 1 Ball Counter on 1 other face-up monster you control. If you control no face-up Attack Position monsters, destroy this card. When this card is destroyed, remove all Ball Counters on the field. You can only activate 1 "Pass Play" once per turn.

Just barely made it!

Alright, the Olympics have officially ended, and so has the submission/entry period for this contest. (Well, give/take 7+ hours due to the timezone differences between Hawai'i and Brazil)

Please be patient as I grade the entries (a note that college starts again in a couple hours, so may not have as much time as I'd like). At the time of writing, it is 12:17 am 8/22/2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I do apologize for the delay in judging (blame it on more coursework than I initially thought, having to host the Postseason for Leaderboard and other things). I just have to grade one more entry, and then your stuff should be up.

(At the time of posting, I don't have the rest of your grades yet as it's on my desktop computer and I'm on a Chromebook)

Hopefully I can get this up within the next couple hours.

iU8EggM.png

EDIT: Alright then, here goes:

[spoiler=Grades]

Standard Grading Scale

B/U: 60

C: 25

O: 15

Total: 100

[spoiler=Brimtosis]

Brimtosis

B/U: 39

C: 21

O: 12

Total: 72

If a Warrior-Type monster you control is destroyed, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, during either player's Battle Phase: You can swap this card's ATK and DEF, then change its battle position (This is a Quick Effect). During either player's Battle Phase: This card gains 1 of the following effects if the requirements are met, until the end of the Battle Phase (these effects are treated as Continuous effects after they are triggered):

This card attacked: Destroy the opponent's monster before damage calculation, then your opponent takes 700 damage. Trap Cards cannot be activated in response to this attack.

This card was targeted for an attack while in Attack Position: This card cannot be destroyed by battle, and after damage calculation; shuffle both this card and the attacking monster into the Deck, then both players draw 1 card.

This card was targeted for an attack in Defense Position: You take no battle damage involving this card. If this card is destroyed by battle, after damage calculation: You can discard 2 cards; destroy 1 monster your opponent controls, and if it was the monster that destroyed this card, draw 1 card.

----

I see we went for fencing today, didn't we? In application, it's basically a Green Baboon-esque thing for Warriors. Right now, unsure of what Decks can actually run this. Suppose the battle position effect reflects the art well enough, depending if you're on the offensive or guarding (though if I remember correctly, both of you advance at same time). At the very least, you'll have 2700 points to work with, which isn't bad. Given the wording, I’m not sure if the first effect can even trigger (suppose it would be better written as “This card declares an attack”); the implication here is that the monster has already attacked (from your wording). Second one would be nice for removing a heavy boss or something, but the opponent can just bait it if they want to. I think the discard cost on the final effect should be lessened, given that unless opponent runs a heavy boss into this; it won’t get destroyed easily and 2 cards is a big price. IDK, I guess you could dump stuff like PKs for the cost (if they wanted to), but not seeing how that works out. Then again, there’s no hard OPT on its summon though, which might prove to be an issue, but I don’t think it will be (unless you somehow get 2 copies of this in hand).

[spoiler=Major's Shadow]

Major’s Shadow

B/U: 45

C: 19

O: 13

Total: 77

In a way, this card is pretty much a guaranteed victory no matter what (barring circumstances); not really sold on the idea, but I do get where you're going with it. The hard OPT is good though, but general concerns are with monsters that can attack multiple targets and potentially become a walking board wipe (mostly with the Lunalight Fusions if they want this; rest of the possible users aren't that bad). I'd be fine with this just destroying the monster, but not outright banishing things. Though, it would be nice to stop the opponent from spamming high power monsters, lest they get banished.

Pun is cute though.

[spoiler=Dova]

Dova

B/U: 52

C: 22

Total: 89

Looking at this card, I could see a space for this in Ice Barriers to plus off Prior reviving stuff (and Strategist for added draws). Would probably help them with maintaining some field advantage for Synchro/Xyz stuff. Elsewhere, I think Mermails/Atlantean can PROBABLY do something with this; likely can since this can trigger off the latter's “send to Graveyard” thing for more draw power. A bit iffy on giving those two more draw power and stuff though, given their recent additions (but that is if they have the space for it; probably do). I can definitely see where the synchronized swimming comes in for both cases, which is nice.

Otherwise, it's a nice card.

[spoiler=Gadjiltron]

Gadjiltron

O: 15 (think it should be Synchro Materials, but I know Konami has used the singular form on more recent occasions; I get where you're going though)

Total: 92

Well, that's one way to play around with the rings...

Yeah, you could devote something like Mistress Doriado to make this, but then you'd have to devote a lot of resources (unless you use something like Ritual Foregone or something to bypass the usual stuff), but even then, getting 9 Levels worth of Tuners in 2 monsters is by no means easy. Wait, why I am even discussing this combo again?

Given its reliance on different Attributes, part of me wants to say this would probably work nicely with Yang Zings, but given their only Tuners are Levels 1 and 2 (well, not taking into account external stuff), they'd have to devote quite a bit of resources to make this, however the payoff will be good. Not really sure on how well they can spam resources to make 12, but it'd probably work for them. Resonators might be able to do something with this card; less payoff with the effects but they can manage the requirements better due to greater Tuner levels.

As a whole, effects are fine individually, but if something like Yang Zings or varied Attribute decks go into this, it will become very problematic, considering its effects cannot be negated. I'm a bit skeptical about it having that effect on (Skill Drain is technically limited right now, so there aren't too many outs to this), but considering the effort needed, I suppose I can see why you'd want this to have it; would be a shame if you waste your effort into making a “vanilla”. (YZ are probably the only ones that'll raise a red flag about this; others should be fine).

(FIRE thing in OCG should be a “when” thing, but since Konami tends to be inconsistent with their own if/when statements, I won't dock points this time)

[spoiler=dragonspirit369]

dragonspirit369

B/U: 34

C: 20

Total: 69

Well, it has targeting protection, but on its current body, it doesn't really mean much unless you amp it up with external stat boosts. Not really fond of its forced attack thing; I mean, you probably will attack with it every turn, but unless you can wipe the opponent's board out to guarantee a direct strike, you're going to be ramming yourself into walls and recoiling badly. The draw effect is nice though, despite it bouncing itself (in a way, suppose it doesn't give the opponent a free target to kill your LP with).

Card itself is fine, but I have doubts about its survival in the current game (power monsters notwithstanding).

[spoiler=Yemachu]

Yemachu

O: 14.5

Total: 91.5

Ah yes, the symbol of the Olympics (I think it'll be reignited for the Paralympics, but not sure because I don't really watch those). It's a double-edged sword; either you or the opponent can benefit off of its effect of you killing something, but if you can get it off and continue to destroy things, you'll have a good chunk of LP and a monster that can't die in battle. You're still Castel/banish bait though, but that can be said for a lot of cards. Flavor-wise, it ties in very well to the Olympics themselves; especially with the repeat competitors that've shown up this time around (and yes, the ending of the Olympics themselves; this card's destruction = extinguishing the flame). That in mind, I do see a lot of the common Decks nowadays making use of this card, since they can/will generate massive monsters out of nowhere and rack up those counters. That's more an issue with those Decks as a whole, but should be kept in mind for here.

[spoiler=Tori]

Tori-kun

B/U: 46

C: 22

Total: 83

This card is basically saying “Speedroid tech” over it. Basically, discard something like Terrortop or whatever that can be revived via Yoyo; NS it and then you have an instant Level 7 Synchro or something else. This isn't saying that you can only use it with said Deck; I could probably see this as a Majespecter tech to give them access to Synchros (despite their lack of access to Graveyard recovery). The bounce effect is nice though; targets but you can remove some annoying backrow or something. Any WIND deck that can run Synchros and can afford to ditch stuff can make some use with this card.

(I almost read this as a copy of Birdman on first glance; had to re-read it)

Flavor-wise, I guess it fits with its intended role as a shooter (since it is TARGETING something to be removed). So yeah, Synchro enabler for WIND decks and a on-summon bouncer, which is nice to have. At least there's a hard OPT on its SSing effect, but this isn't stopping you from bouncing another card upon reviving It via CoTH or something.

[spoiler=Rowling]

Rowling

B/U: 44

C: 18

O: 14.5

Total: 76.5

Once per turn, during your Battle Phase, if you control no other cards on the field: Special Summon 1 monsters from your Deck in Attack Position. If a monster Special Summoned by this card's effect(s) inflicts battle damage the turn it is Summoned; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck in Attack Position whose ATK is equal to or lower than half the amount of battle damage inflicted. All monsters Special Summoned by this card's effect(s) must attack the turn they are Summoned, if able, also their effects are negated.

So basically, free Summon of ANY monster (with summon conditions included) if you only control this card. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about it given the current Decks that exist nowadays and can/will spam high Level monsters like Dragon Spirit of White and Kozmo ships and do whatever, though those Decks usually have other cards out (well, the latter anyway), so they can't use this too much. Basically, if you can damage the opponent on that turn, you can Special Summon more monsters. While part of me doesn't like that it can infinitely SS monsters if you have monsters that have half the ATK of however much damage you deal, I don't see it triggering more than maybe once or twice in a normal game; that, and you're forced to attack with them.

I take it the no other cards reflects the inspiration for this card (a quick Wikipedia search tells me this). Basically, disadvantages = no other cards out on the field at the time, and that leads to a powerhouse coming out.

[spoiler=Unroyal_Paladin]

Unroyal_Paladin

B/U: 49

C: 20

O: 14.75

Total: 83.75

Xyz Monsters you control gain 600 ATK and DEF. This card Cannot be destroyed by battle with a monster that has 2500 or less ATK. A Synchro or Xyz Monster Special Summoned by using this card as Material gains this effect:

- When this card is Summoned: You can detach up to 2 Xyz Materials from Xyz Monsters on the field, and if you do, cards you currently control cannot leave the field by your opponent's card effects until the end of their next turn.

(I am going to assume this is based on track/field)

So we have a Synchro-oriented card that fuels into Xyz. The stat bonus for Xyz is cute, though I don't really see it lasting too long on the field (given the fact that it'll probably end up as Xyz/Synchro bait). Well, I suppose it has the luxury of being in a Level that Konami seems to love pampering (4). The material effect is pretty potent in its own right, given it is not restricted to your board only and can use the opponent's Xyz mats to protect your own board. I'm a bit skeptical about being able to use either player's, but looking at common Xyz usage, unless opponent Xyz Summons multiple monsters per turn or something, you'll likely have to detach your own mats (and usually off of the monster you Xyz Summoned using this card). Protection is good though. Aside from that, has a decent body in the event you can't ED summon so that's good.

Flavor-wise, I'm not entirely sure what you were going for here if this was based on track/field.

[spoiler=The Aeons End]

The Aeons End

B/U: 50

O: 12.5

Total: 83.5

Once per turn, if you control a "U.A." monster: You can reveal 1 "U.A." monster from your hand; reduce that revealed monster's Level by 2 until the end of the turn, also, if you Summon that monster this turn, its effects cannot be negated until your next Standby Phase.

(Ironically, round 2 of the Postseason WAS to design a U.A. Support card)

Intent of this card is nice, since it gives them an easier way for the Deck to be summoned, since Konami apparently didn't want to give them another Level 4 besides Midfielder (and inadvertently hit some of their support cards because of other meta decks abusing them). Aside from maybe Blockbacker and Dunker, at least it'll let you GET some Normal Summons off quicker and trigger off Stadium (heck, even Rebounder can revive something if you play this properly). One of my general concerns is how the effects are soft OPT and can stack (though given their playstyle, I don't think it will be too much of an issue; that, and I'm finding it unlikely that one will even be able to maintain multiple copies). At least it protects them from being Solemn Notice'd or whatever if they trigger. (Doesn't override an on-field Skill Drain though; at least from my understanding of the ruling on that.) Effect feels a bit too much like Domain (well, least from the Level reduction, but it does require that a U.A. is out to even do it (see below)).

One thing to remember is that unless they can use Signing Deal or get Midfielder out (and usually the former in early game), it's going to be rather difficult to use this (especially as their tech options have gotten smaller). U,A. are still reliant on Midfielder for the most part.

Not really sure how this would tie into a referee though, but I'll just take that the “decision” is to let them go unhindered. (Oh right, I guess a penalty kick or something)

[spoiler=Yuuji]

Yuuji

B/U: 54

Total: 90

(Too bad Usain Bolt retired after these games, but he'll probably be the fastest man for a very good while)

It is a decent piece of anti-removal; somewhat on the lines of a more expansive Stardust Spark Dragon (discounting battle), Given stuff like Dark Destroyer, Castel and the like exist, I do see this being useful. Not really sure about the cost though, but yeah I guess it's fine overall (prevent something from being blown up or removed, and a free draw off of it). Flavor works though.

[spoiler=CatmanDaGamer]

CatmanDaGamer

B/U: 45

O: 14

Total: 80

(I'm going to guess this is supposedly soccer, given the picture of a ball in mid-air)

Well, we know stuff like Pendulums and some common spam Decks will be able to fill this card's activation requirements without too many issues. But yeah, this card is basically passing counters between your stuff to “protect” them from battle damage. Not sure what you were trying to do with the “destroy by battle” thing (well, I'm assuming that you're still taking any piercing damage that'll result from it being in Defense Position now).

Flavor-wise, this works to show what happens in soccer (and really other passing games that exist), which is neat, but considering the amount of effect removal that exists, the protection that this card technically offers isn't as amazing as one might think nowadays. It's still a nice way to protect yourself from taking battle damage (at least from my interpretation of your card), but yeah it does require that you have Attack Position monsters. Needless to say Sandstorm Mirror Force will wreck you hard.

To be fair though, this card should be a Continuous Spell Card considering its last effects, but it's a Normal Spell. If you wanted it to remain on the field, you need to mention that fact.

OCG is basically a “if/when thing” for the effect in question, and intent on the effect.

[spoiler=Cool Girl]

Cool Girl

B/U: 0

C: 0

O: 0

Total: 0

Yeah, no submission = 0 points.

Well, regardless of who won, I'm fine with the judging too (except for the stuff below, but it's not like I'm asking for more points with that) .

But yeah, about the flavor of the card I submitted, 'runner' gives it away (I imagined something like Top Runner running on a track made of starlight in an outer space background) , but 2 of the effects were based off of existing cards - The first effect was Top Runner's effect, but for Xyz rather than Synchro, and powered up a bit,   and the second effect was Sonic Chick, which its Japanese name is Road Runner, again powered up for survivability (If I kept it as is ( '1900 or higher ATK battle indestructible' ) it'd be unfair considering this card's stats. ) . Even the OCG mistake was from Sonic Chick / Road Runner having that  'that has' instead of 'with' .

As for the 'this card' that should be removed OCG mistake that you pointed, I had another card which had the opposite mistake, which is why I made it like this.  On that card I wrote ' When Summoned:  ...... '  and the judge just corrected that to  'When this card is Summoned: ....  ' in their explanation , saying that it would be more clear about when what is summoned. So here I just tried to make it clear what cannot be destroyed by battle. And yes, even Sonic Chick / Road Runner says  'Cannot be destroyed by battle' , lol on that one.

(( As an extra note: I thought of making its attribute WIND, since the other two 'runners' are WIND, but it'd make no sense for something in outer space without air to have WIND as an attribute, so the next thing I thought would fit it was LIGHT. ))

Well, regardless of who won, I'm fine with the judging too (except for the stuff below, but it's not like I'm asking for more points with that) .

But yeah, about the flavor of the card I submitted, 'runner' gives it away (I imagined something like Top Runner running on a track made of starlight in an outer space background) , but 2 of the effects were based off of existing cards - The first effect was Top Runner's effect, but for Xyz rather than Synchro, and powered up a bit,   and the second effect was Sonic Chick, which its Japanese name is Road Runner, again powered up for survivability (If I kept it as is ( '1900 or higher ATK battle indestructible' ) it'd be unfair considering this card's stats. ) . Even the OCG mistake was from Sonic Chick / Road Runner having that  'that has' instead of 'with' .

As for the 'this card' that should be removed OCG mistake that you pointed, I had another card which had the opposite mistake, which is why I made it like this.  On that card I wrote ' When Summoned:  ...... '  and the judge just corrected that to  'When this card is Summoned: ....  ' in their explanation , saying that it would be more clear about when what is summoned. So here I just tried to make it clear what cannot be destroyed by battle. And yes, even Sonic Chick / Road Runner says  'Cannot be destroyed by battle' , lol on that one.

(( As an extra note: I thought of making its attribute WIND, since the other two 'runners' are WIND, but it'd make no sense for something in outer space without air to have WIND as an attribute, so the next thing I thought would fit it was LIGHT. ))

I generally graded on more current PSCT, so some examples may not have been properly updated to their most current form (as in the style that recent packs use). As for Sonic Chick, you're correct on its wording, so I can award some points back on OCG (though its current wording does omit "this card"). Putting on "this card" isn't necessarily wrong, but it's generally implied (and does save some wording that can be implied by logic).

I've re-evaluated your card accordingly, given the changes. Don't think it'll be enough to push you into a medal slot, but you did get a slight boost. Otherwise, you technically did well (or really, mostly everyone). Aside from Cool Girl due to no submission, most of you got a C or higher (only one who missed the cut was very close). I like to consider a C-grade as being sufficient enough.

-----

I'll award the prizes tomorrow, so if there are any further questions, please ask.

Final scores:

1st - Gadjiltron - 92

2nd - Yemachu - 91.5

3rd - Yuuji - 90

4th - Dova - 89

Unlike the Olympics, I'll make a fourth place prize. (No prize rep, but the award logo is worth more)

----

Anyway, please be patient as I award the points, reps and other stuff. (Award logos will be PMed to you privately; if you need an example of what they look like; use Gadjiltron's awards from the SCS).

Thanks to all of you for participating, and congrats to the winners.

-----

Now I have to put out the Olympic flame that was burning brightly for the duration of this contest....

Archived