[Leaderboard] Season 14 Postseason (Match 1-3)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- First to 3 votes or whoever gets the most votes by 9:00 pm HST on 8/20/2016 wins
- Voters must elaborate on their votes
- Participants or I reserve the right to nullify votes if reasoning is insufficient.

- Winner moves on to round 2 and receives a rep from the opponent
- All voters will get reps for accepted votes.

Requirement

Make a WIND Wyrm-Type Synchro Monster

----

Card A

Feng, Dragon of the Yang Zing

Level 7 | WIND | Wyrm | Synchro | Effect

2500/1800
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can reveal 1 Level 4 or lower "Yang Zing" monster in your hand, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck, and if you do, Special Summon the revealed monster from your hand. When this card you control is destroyed by battle or by a card effect and sent to your Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Yang Zing" monster from your Deck in Defense Position. You can only activate each effect of "Feng, Dragon of the Yang Zing" once per turn.

Card B

Oryugami
WIND | Level 8 | Wyrm | Synchro | Effect
2800/0
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per Battle Phase, at the start of the Battle Phase: You can discard 1 card from your hand; return all Set Cards on the field to the hand. If your opponent activates a card or effect in response to this effect's activation: You can discard 1 card from your hand; negate that activation, and if you do, this card can make a second attack this Battle Phase. You can only use this effect of "Oryugami" once per turn.

Card A is dead flavour-wise simply because Feng is not an existing dragon from any of the Chinese works relating to the dragon and its 9 sons. The effects are okay, I suppose, since the targeting Ignister Priminence effect upon Summon can also be triggered when the Yang Zings use their accel synchro effect on your opponent's turn. Not only that, you can possibly set up another Summoning with this card by SSing Chiwen and making an instant Crystal Wing. Stats are decent too, but if we're speaking from a flavour perspective, it would be receiving a low mark.

B is a Giant Trunade that can only resolve at the beginning of the BP, but punishes your opponent like Tachyon Dragon if they try to activate anything. It's stronger than Tachyon in the aspect that it can also protect itself from removal, as well as receive the second attack. ATK isn't too high for anything OP, but it's decent enough to possibly be a game ender. The fact that it's also possible to Summon this card easier than Tachyon is a factor to consider too. Note that B's effect can also be used on the start of your opponent's BP, although it's not as effective since they can just Set something on their MP 2 and hit you with their Set S/T on your SP. Monsters are also a thing this card can Compulse away.

It would've been harder for me to decide had A's flavour wasn't completely wrong. In terms of usability AND flavour, B gets a higher mark. so I'm voting B for this one.

Yeah, Feng does translate into wind in Chinese (I know that because one of my generics some time ago has that word embedded in its name, albeit with the diacritical marks). But other than that, name doesn't imply a relationship/design source like the others. (Yeah, Wangtianhou isn't documented either, but it's considered to have some design sources in there).

Rest of the vote is fine though, so 1-0 card B. Which, by the way, is Tori's card.

Archived