Arctic55

I noticed these games have very similar ideas.  Which is your favorite and why?  What are the pros and cons of each.  Why are the other people wrong?

Games on the table (atm):

1. League of Legends

2. Defense of the Ancients

3. Vainglory

4. Heroes of the Storm

5. Smite

6. Heroes of Newearth

If any other games should be added to the list, let me know.  As far as I know, LOL, DOTA, and VG are considered eSports.

Edit: Added 2 games

I mean, I love LoL and I think DotA and HotS are fantastic.  But what the f*** is Vainglory?

It's a mobile MOBA. It was better than I expected...given that it's a mobile MOBA.

Anyway, I'd add Smite to the list 'cause that's a fairly popular MOBA as well. Also, HotS does have an esports scene too (and so does Smite.) 

I've played all of these games in varying amounts (not too much VG or DOTA, but a bit) My personal rank would be:

1. LoL. Super fun game, loads of neat champs.

2. HotS. Underrated IMO. I don't play it as much as LoL, but it's really fun 'cause it's really fast paced and you get to fight a lot. Plus at higher levels, it has complex macro play too. Also has a few crazy-ass heroes (Murky, Abathur, Lost Vikings, Cho'Gall).

3. DOTA 2. Some really neat heroes. It's nice that stuff is free. Has some unnecessary/clunky mechanics, though.

4. Smite. Pretty fun just 'cause of the perspective, but other than that it's basically a reskin of League. 

5. Vainglory. It's not bad...but it's a mobile MOBA. Maybe I'd like it better if I had an iPad instead of a phone, but eh.

I've never heard of Vainglory, also my answer is Smite. The controls are way more fun to me (third-person, wasd and mouse, everything needs to be aimed including autos vs top-down clickfests like LoL which I have played and enjoyed but not as much as Smite) and its VGS is something every MOBA should have. Plus, all the characters being based on actual mythological/religious figures makes them more interesting to me. And with the perspective I can see things like skins a lot better and things are more detailed.

Pokemon VGC cause its clearly an esport. Or at least nintendo treats it that way

On a serious note, DOTA has been one of my favorite multiplayer games since Dota AllStars map by Guinsoo. I've also played LoL and HoTS and I've enjoyed them quite a lot. Newerth was okay. I dont know what VG is. Would play Smite if its available in my country.

Would've loved DotA if they implemented it so I don't funking lose control of my character every time I misclick on an enemy/ally. If that minor UX issue was fixed I would gladly switch over from Heroes of Newerth. LoL was OK but there was too many updates (funking Tryndamere tho). Vainglory was fun af, and I'm amazed at how much they could fit in on a small form factor. HotS is too unorthodox for my taste, SMITE is a little better in that regard, but it still feels alien to me.

1, HoN

2. DotA

3. LoL

4. Vainglory

5. SMITE

6. HotS

DOTA

The gameplay is subjective as to which you prefer (I still think it's better because of the freedom and depth involved even within the genre) but practically everything else DOTA just does better. Great client, amazing business model, responsive dev team, fantastic spectator sport, memes.

I understand why people might prefer the other games, but I will always defend DOTA as the best game in the genre.

I've played HOTS and VG, and personally I like Vainglory because it's a mobile game, so I can play when I go out without having to lug my desktop or gaming laptop with me (cause my main laptop is s***).

I feel like HOTS is very underrated, it has good gameplay and is much more team based than DOTA and LOL (from what I've seen).  Some of my family members were in the top 100 for DOTA and I always heard stories of them carrying their team and how much that annoyed them, and I just like the teamwork feeling better.

Note: I've never tried LOL, DOTA, Smite, or HON.

HotS is more team dependant than the others, but that's a bad thing. It's team based as much as any MOBA, but it gives less room for individual players to stand out and to mininize the impact they can have. A bad player can lose you a game in all MOBAs but a good player is less likely to win in spite of one because the tools to do so don't exist

People have a distaste for 'carries' in other MOBAs from what I've read but it's just a game role like assassin or warrior in HOTS. I play mostly support in DOTA but there are games where I have 'carried' and been the primary reason for the win even if I don't bring all the damage because the game gave me the opportunities to do so, HotS doesn't.

I don't think HotS is underrated, it's just shallow. It tries to make a big deal of the teamwork, but that's part of other MOBAs just as much. Instead HotS lacks the individual mechanical components. Oh and it really doesn't make full usage of having different maps as an option

Can someone tell me what a MOBA is? I don't know.

Multiplayer online battle arena games. To be honest, a huge number of games fall under that description including Overwatch and Team Fortress 2, but use of the term MOBA as a game genre refers specifically to games such as DotA or LoL where two teams try to destroy each other's base, with similar gameplay elements like AI minions, different lanes of attack and so on.

Shooters could be considered much faster, less resource-based MOBAs, and MOBAs much slower, less shooting-based shooters. You only have to look at a gameplay video of Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm to see how different the games are.

Also, Awesomenauts is a super fun one. It's very different, though, it's a 3v3 2D moba with vertical maps that's like an action-platformer MOBA that's less focused on strategy and more about how well you can maneuver and use your skills. It's a lot more fight-oriented.

EDIT: Oh right, it doesn't have that big of an esports scene, forgot that was a requirement.

Archived