TCG Banlist (Aug 2016)

maxx c had gotten to the point of being a pseudo-turn skip, unless you're dead anyway, in which case it doesn't matter

The argument for it being limited is there. Semi is just a slight curbing of such, which is fine. There is definitely an argument that it has gotten out of control.

And maxx isn't really a draw card, and shouldn't be treated like a draw spell by any means =x

Yes it should. The game has evolved to the point where 1) Most decks have to SS 2) Most decks can't ss if they don't want to be gamed next turn thanks to a half-ass field

It's basically always gonna a draw card at this pt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think you're agreeing on the main point winter, but just seeing it differently. maxx c is indeed a draw card, that much is not even a question, the issue you appear to be clashing over is it's effect outside of said draw power, which you also probably agree on.

considering you will more often than not be chaining it to a SS effect, giving you at least one draw, and depending on how well your opponent has set up, they may need to let you have one or two more draws just to set something up that won't die miserably next turn. so in that aspect, you are right, it is indeed a draw card.

it is also much more than that though, which you all appear to understand as well. it tells your opponent that they can either stop playing for the turn, or let you generate advantage off of their summon effects. so in that aspect, black is correct, it is a psuedo turn-skip. 

it can be both at the same time, and you appear to already recognize this, you simply don't quite agree on the extent it is one over the other. but that's just my two cents, feel free to ignore the scrub player.

It's more than just a "draw card" when it has an effect on the game outside of increasing your hand size.

Fine, it's more than just a draw card, but it is inherently, then, atleast a draw card. If draw cards are being taken out back and shot (upstart/game, likely cupidity soon) then it's not shocking maxx would get hammered too

i think you're agreeing on the main point winter, but just seeing it differently. maxx c is indeed a draw card, that much is not even a question, the issue you appear to be clashing over is it's effect outside of said draw power, which you also probably agree on.

considering you will more often than not be chaining it to a SS effect, giving you at least one draw, and depending on how well your opponent has set up, they may need to let you have one or two more draws just to set something up that won't die miserably next turn. so in that aspect, you are right, it is indeed a draw card.

it is also much more than that though, which you all appear to understand as well. it tells your opponent that they can either stop playing for the turn, or let you generate advantage off of their summon effects. so in that aspect, black is correct, it is a psuedo turn-skip. 

it can be both at the same time, and you appear to already recognize this, you simply don't quite agree on the extent it is one over the other. but that's just my two cents, feel free to ignore the scrub player.

I think the edit I would make to that, is that's not a binary choice anymore. You can't end on just summon sage, pass. You have to summon the alternative, and you have to go for the synchro. 

There is no choice to stop realisitically if you want to win, so maxx will more often than not amount to the draw because the opponent cannot afford a turn skip due to how the game has evolved to being able to end duels in a single turn

Yes the threat of a turn skip exists, but nobody will take that most of the time

There is not a "rock and a hard place" so to speak, there's a pit with spikes (passing/turn skip) or a hard place (giving your opponent a +1-2 off maxx)

INB4 Allure. Allure isn't generic anymore. Maxx, Upstart, Game, Cupidity aree

My first point was Maxx c was played and is played in almost every deck. If not mained, at least sided. It does damage to almost every deck at the top.

It's at the worst a +0 that can slow your opponent down.

I don't see the argument for it being on the list personally, but I've always found 2 to be a comfortable number

I think the card keeps some OTK-ish decks in check by not letting them go balls to the wall without at least the chance of consequence

My first point was Maxx c was played and is played in almost every deck. If not mained, at least sided. It does damage to almost every deck at the top.

I don't see the argument for it being on the list personally, but I've always found 2 to be a comfortable number

I think the card keeps some OTK-ish decks in check by not letting them go balls to the wall without at least the chance of consequence

I mean, that was clear. Which is why only the latter got a reply, unless I missed something.

The logic of keeping OTKs in check isn't there outside of formats where said OTK is rampant, and, as such, Swift Scarecrow (or lolfader) sees play, or some equivalent. Outside of those... Maxx is useless. If they can consistently OTK you, then they'll do it without fear of Maxx, because outside of Scarecrow/Backrow, they've won. And backrow doesn't see a ton of play atm.

I see the logic of both sides, but "checks OTKs" isn't really true.

its a +0, usually more

upstart is limited for a reason

To be honest, we're only talking about a semi-limit here with Maxx "C" and the only real impact it has is that it makes going second even worse (8% worse, to be precise). In another format, Maxx getting hit would be a good thing, but now it's even more difficult to come back from a turn 1 play, which is daft considering the game has now pretty much devolved to "I win die roll, set up board, if you don't draw an out I win". 

Banned

Performapal Monkeyboard: You will not be missed (at least by me that is)

Kaiser Colosseum: Well, can't say I expected this one.

Limited

Cir, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss: Anything to back Burning Abyss further to wall.

Ehther the Heavenly Monarch: Oh well.

Kozmo Dark Destroyer: Beautiful.

Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin: I used this in Majespecters and I'll miss it, but I can understand why it's on the list.

Beatrice, the Eternal Lady: Anything to further back Burning Abyss to a wall?

Emergency Teleport: I still remember when this card used to be unlimited.

Pantheism of the Monarchs: Not going to disagree with this choice. It was rather ridiculous to use.

Pendulum Call: Never saw it in use.

The Monarchs Stormforth: Another I'll miss, but I can see why it's on the list.

Semi

Maxx "C"

Thunder King Rai-Oh: Okay.

Wind-Up Magician: Whatever.

Unlimited

Thousand-Eyes Restrict: Not much to say.

Allure of Darkness: More draw power?

Gold Sarcophagus: Welcome back!

SUPER LATE TO THIS PARTY BUT LET'S GOD

Banned

I never disliked the 'Pals, and however good Monkeyboard was I can't say it didn't deserve it with a straight face. Sucks for the P-Pal's, but it was bound to happen. Kaiser is not something I really have any strong feelings towards, but one less annoying card I suppose.

Limited

It's difficult not to admit the staying power that BA's have had since their inception, and the hits towards Cir and Beatrice were definitely not a surprise to see. I understood that Monarchs needed the hit, but I feel like they may have hit some of the wrong cards. That said, the biggest offender (Pantheism) definitely needed the slap on the wrist. Kozmos basically got kicked in the balls. Hitting E-Tele would've been enough to neuter their consistency, but hitting Dark Destroyer as well has basically really struck the deck. It's not one that I felt was even that good, but it's also not one I'm sorry to see go.

Kirin, while I don't necessarily feel like it absolutely needed the hit anymore, I am happy to see get hit. It won't keep Metalfoes from being a top deck, but it at least means that the Kirin/Bun combo isn't the top pick anymore and that there's more room for different builds.

No real opinions on Semi-Limited. Not very surprised to see Maxx "C" getting a yellow card, though.

Also, happy to see Allure gain full freedom; my Cardians will appreciate that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this list. Trains have a better chance of becoming a rogue/lower-tier deck this format, but my confidence in the TCG playerbase's ability to pick the deck up and not run bad crap is pretty low. Overall, we shall see.

https://tcg.konami-europe.com/coverage/a-tale-of-the-future-the-new-forbidden-limited-list/

A review of the list, and the author of said article has said; "I feel like pointing out none of my statements are 'Konami statements'. While obviously everything has been reviewed by Konami, I don't have access to any information you all don't have access to.​"

Archived