[Leaderboard] Season 14 Postseason (Match 2-2)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- First to 3 votes or whoever gets the most votes by 9:00 pm HST on 8/26/2016 wins
- Voters must elaborate on their votes
- Participants or I reserve the right to nullify votes if reasoning is insufficient.

- Winner moves on to finals and receives a rep from the opponent
- All voters will get reps for accepted votes.

Requirement

Make a U.A. support card

----

Card A

U.A. Comeback
Spell | Normal
Normal Summon 1 "U.A." monster from your hand in addition to your Normal Summon/ Setbut return it to the hand at the end of this turn. If this card is in the Graveyard and your opponent controls a monster and you do not: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 "U.A." monster and 1 "U.A." Spell/Trap Card, except "U.A Comeback" from your Deck to your hand.

Card B

U.A. Foul Call
Spell | Quick-Play
Send 1 "U.A." monster you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "U.A." monster from your Deck with a different name to that monster, also you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn, except from the hand. If a "U.A" monster(s) you control is targeted by a card or effect: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Negate that card or effect.

[A]

When I saw Rival Rebounder and Stadium, I got what Comeback actually achieves. So, a basic utility for double search (due to Stadium) and (most possibly) the best way to take full advantage of Rival Rebounder. The effect to bounce the 2nd Normal Summoned monster to the hand is an important addition, but will often be non-existent; just bounce it with 1 of the searched monsters and job done perfectly. Not to say, Signing Deal comes very handy, potentially leaving you with 3 monsters on the field. Even for a not-so-overwhelming archetype, this kind of advantage is very good.

The second effect is understandable; U.A.s need some search engine besides their Field Spell Card (and their Trap Card). What's problematic here is the absence of a typical condition (the wording can vary) many cards that activate there have. This means you can activate the effect w/o even Normal Summoning, search 2 cards and go for good game. With the condition included, the 2-card search would be questionable, but like this the card just does generally more than necessary.

What surprised me is the lack of OPT clauses. But why? So, activate 2 copies of this card and search 4 cards out of nowhere? Just, no.

It's a Quick-Play Spell Card, so you can use it at your own will, whenever you need to. Maneuver an opponent's effect. Push for game. Use it as a different Signing Deal. Set it for your opponent's turn. Swallow's Nest is also a thing, however I'm a bit cautious because of the U.A. monsters' effects.

Protection is achieved with Perfect Ace and Goalkeeper (esp. if you manage to have both or either of them @2 on the field), both of which can be Summoned fairly easily (Signing Deal for Midfielder or Rebounder if possible, then Summon both the mentioned monsters). TL;DR For the usages Foul Call's first effect has, the negation of any effect that targets the monsters kind of makes the card too good.

Again, no OPT clauses here too. Not that the 1st effect can really be abused that easily (although it can be nasty at times), the 2nd effect is what makes the card even better with no OPT clause. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[A] helps with consistency a lot, while is a 1-turn offensive/defensive response (with a later good use). Hm... Having big hand advantage is very good, however (in this case) it's predictable and not exactly game-breaking, while Summoning monsters at any time you desire (let alone with a handful effect negation) can prove a lot better at times.

Then again, the lack of any OPT clauses to both cards changes my view a bit. Being able to potentially search a ton of cards in a single turn is just too much. Double effect negation is also too much (considering a couple monsters already do it).

They both have "issues to be fixed", therefore I vote for [C].

Card A goes nicely with triggering Stadium searches, but still doesn't address some of the other issues that U.A. has; well, taking into account that outside Midfielder, rest of the Deck has no other Level 4 and under monsters. Though, you could just NS Midfielder, search something, then swap out for whatever you searched (and/or search Midfielder #2 and repeat the process if you don't have that). Or yeah, use Rebounder and SS something if you want to. Although, you do have the option of NSing a generic monster, then Tribute Summoning for whatever U.A. you have in hand later, then switching out; that also works. The banish effect at least gives you access to the other support cards, including more Stadiums if opponent blows your existing copy up or Signing Deal if you need to. In a way, it's technically a better searcher than Penalty Box but also harder to trigger (well, in the sense that you have to be without a board; they'll probably have empty boards, given their current way of functioning).

Card B lets you swap out your U.A. stuff for ones you don't have access to in your hand at the moment; in some ways, a smaller version of Turnover Tactics that isn't as good. I guess you can set up the Graveyard for Rival Rebounder to retrieve stuff on a later turn, but yeah. The targeting protection is nice though, and doesn't outright kill the card. Yeah, we already have Perfect Ace that can discard stuff to negate anything. Oh wait, this card is legitimately discard fodder for Ace; get him out and negate something, ditch this and you have another layer of protection (although that would depend if you actually have both in hand / on the field).

----

Both cards do lack a hard OPT, yes (out of fairness, Penalty Box doesn't have one, but it's limited to the Spells only). Like the above user mentioned, lack of hard OPT is a bit worrying, even though the Archetype itself is still clunky to work with nonetheless unless you can get the ball rolling with the support cards. In retrospective, which of the banish effects are worse: allowing multiple searches if you have no board presence or just negating targeting removal?

I've gotten a remark about this from the creator of B; have you taken into consideration that unlike Ace, B does NOT outright destroy the card it's negating? If it did, there would be a problem with this being a "secondary copy" of Ace, but also going into generic "negate the heck out of everything". But as-is, negating the effect is fine (S/T cards are still going to the Graveyard regardless though). To be honest, I only see it being used maybe once per turn in most situations, given that either the opponent can just sweep remove your stuff if needed or destroy it in battle. It is not advisable to use all of one's targeting resources to remove ONE threat; at least taking into consideration the current pool that sees play and in this case, U.A aren't necessarily threatening.

----

Voting B in this case for being more fair. While yeah, card A does offer them more ways to plus off of Stadium, the double search is worrisome, even if you cannot search another copy of it (although any of the support cards are helpful regardless) and you can't have monsters out. B at least gives U.A. some protection if Ace isn't around (or added if he is) and another way to switch stuff out. To be fair though, I do like both of them, but an OPT might be needed here; least for A anyway, despite the shortcomings the Deck still has otherwise; the recent indirect hits included.

To be honest, I'd vote for B as well. I haven't read the votes of the others, but here is my take on the whole thing.

A is just too much like the play style of Monarchs when it gives you too much benefits from going second. Let's say your opponent goes first, Summons a monster, etc... And then you begin your turn with a draw (6 cards in hand). Activating A (5 cards), and then activating second effect in the Graveyard (7 cards), add Stadium and Midfielder. Play Stadium and Summon Midfielder, then add another Midfielder with Stadium's effect. Summon a second Midfielder for another add, and it gets pretty hefty from there. So you have six cards in hand and already 2 midfielders and a Stadium on the field. The possibilities of already having an OTK on that turn are above normal, so this is what turned me away from voting for it.

And what if we had more than one copy and going second rofl? Pluses for days.

B is more fair in the sense that you can only use it's first effect once per turn as the limitation of SSing from the hand prevents any abuse. The secondary effect is good as well, but there is some worry as Perfect Ace becomes harder to remove off the board. However, it's not as worrisome as A given the fact that you wouldn't have all 3 copies of B in the Graveyard before the game would probably end. That and the fact that the U.A is susceptible to battle and non-targeting S/T, and Monarch tributes.

The SSing from the Deck does kind of steal away rebounder's design slot, and might be a little too overbearing since it fetches ANY U.A monster but...

A is more broken than B is. So yeah, B gets mine as well.

Archived