Seaborn Archetype (10/10)

Atypical-Abbie

Seaborn is an Archetype of Warrior-Type/WATER monsters with various Levels. Along with those, they have a support Archetype called Seaworthy, which are Continuous Trap Cards that are Trap monsters, which are Aqua-Type/WATER with 0 ATK and various Levels. They focus on Trap monsters and having your own monsters in Defense Position for various purposes, and also are designed to take advantage of other WATER monsters, as many of their effects work with them, and the boss monster is able to take control of an opponent's monster and make it WATER.

The monsters all work a differently, though all Level 5 and higher are able to be Normal Summoned without Tributing as long as you control a Seaworthy card in your Monster Zone. The Trap monsters have various effects as well, some are even able to attack while in Defense Position, but all will be destroyed during your End Phase if you don't control any Seaborn monsters, and you can only control 1 of each. The monsters are themed after pirates and the Trap Cards are themed around ships and boats.

Monsters:

Seaborn Matey
Warrior-Type/WATER
Level 4
If you control no "Seaworthy" cards in your Monster Zone: You can discard this card; add 1 "Seaworthy" card from your Deck to your hand. During your End Phase, if this card was sent to the Graveyard this turn and the only monsters you control (if any) are WATER monsters: You can Special Summon it in Defense Position, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Seaborn Matey" once per turn.
1000/2000

Seaborn Scallywag
Warrior-Type/WATER
Level 4
During either player's turn: You can discard this card, then target 1 WATER monster you control; it gains 1000 DEF until the end of this turn. If a "Seaworthy" Trap Card is Special Summoned to your Monster Zone as a monster by its own effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard in Defense Position, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Seaborn Scallywag" once per turn.
1500/1500

Seaborn Buccaneer
Warrior-Type/WATER
Level 5
If you control a "Seaworthy" card in your Monster Zone, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Seaborn" monster from your hand in Defense Position, also you cannot Special Summon other monsters for the rest of the turn, except WATER monsters. All "Seaborn" monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each WATER monster you control in Defense Position.
2000/1500

Seaborn Rapscallion
Warrior-Type/WATER
Level 6
If you control a "Seaworthy" card in your Monster Zone, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. Once per turn, if you Special Summon a WATER monster(s) in Defense Position: You can draw 1 card. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect. If the only monsters you control are WATER monsters, during your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 WATER monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
2200/1800

Seaborn Cap'n
Warrior-Type/WATER
Level 8
If you control a "Seaworthy" card in your Monster Zone, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes halved. Once per turn: You can target 1 Trap Card you control that is a monster and 1 monster your opponent controls in Attack Position; Set the first target in your Spell & Trap Zone, and if you do, take control of the second target, it becomes a WATER monster and change it to Defense Position, but its destroyed if this card leaves the field. Each turn, you can activate 1 "Seaworthy" Continuous Trap Card from your hand.
3000/2500

Trap Cards:

Seaworthy Jolly
Continuous Trap Card   
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/Level 4/ATK 0/DEF 2000). (This card is also still a Trap Card). While this card is an Effect Monster, all other WATER monsters you control gain 500 DEF, also your opponent cannot target other monster for attacks. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect): You can add 1 "Seaborn" monster from your Deck to your hand. During your End Phase, unless you control a "Seaborn" monster, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Seaworthy Jolly".

Seaworthy Yawl    
Continuous Trap Card   
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/Level 4/ATK 0/DEF 1800). (This card is also still a Trap Card). While this card is an Effect Monster, all WATER monsters you control can attack while in Defense Position. If they do, apply its DEF for damage calculation. If a WATER monster you control battles an opponent's monster, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. During your End Phase, unless you control a "Seaborn" monster, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Seaworthy Yawl".

Seaworthy Schooner
Continous Trap Card
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/Level 5/ATK 0/DEF 2300). (This card is also still a Trap Card). Once per turn, while this card is an Effect Monster, during your Main Phase: You can target 1 "Seaborn" or "Seaworthy" card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except WATER monsters for the rest of the turn. While this card is an Effect Monster, your opponent cannot target "Seaborn" monsters you control with card effects. During your End Phase, unless you control a "Seaborn" monster, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Seaworthy Schooner".

Seaworthy Galleon
Continuous Trap Card
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/Level 6/ATK 0/DEF 2500). (This card is also still a Trap Card). While this card is an Effect Monster and you control a "Seaborn" monster, this card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation. While this card is an Effect Monster, if this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand or Graveyard in Defense Position. During your End Phase, unless you control a "Seaborn" monster, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Seaworthy Galleon".

Seaworthy Man-o'-War
Continuous Trap Card

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/Level 8/ATK 0/DEF 3000). (This card is also still a Trap Card). While this card is an Effect Monster and you control a "Seaborn" monster, this card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation. While this card is an Effect Monster, if this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can destroy all Spell and Trap Cards your opponent controls. During your End Phase, unless you control a "Seaborn" monster, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Seaworthy Man-o'-War".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matey and Scallywag seem to set the stage for an Xyz archetype, with them being banished if they leave the field but being Level 4 for easy Xyz. However, they are the only two Level 4 monsters in the archetype, Matey is too slow to be Summonable for Xyz and is easy for your opponent to get rid of, not to mention slow for tributing. I would suggest some synergy with the banished zone if that is the case, as they just seem to banish...just because, and don't really have much reason to get out Matey  as he's left to your opponent for a full turn, and Scallywag is most likely Summoned on your opponent's turn. I feel the banishing isn't necessarily, considering the speed of the archetype right now is minimal. Or at least, work with it to build some banishing interaction.

Buccaneer doesn't really bode well, due to drawing from your hand, but the Normal Summoning without Tribute does buff it a bit. I would suggest increasing ATK and DEF, considering the defensiveness of the archetype, but otherwise seems alright...we just have to hope the rest of the archetype doesn't draw too much on your hand, as we also are setting Cont Traps.

Rapscallion is...wonderful. Relatively good stats, some draw power to replenish your hand, an extra Normal Summon (which this archetype desperately needs, considering how reliant it is on that). What more could you ask for? Again, considering the lack of Graveyard interactions in the archetype, no need for the first two to banish.

Cap'n is very...interesting. I'm assuming the last effect means you can activate them during your opponent's turn as well? If so, it's a great card to use. I'm glad the first effect isn't SS2, otherwise we could make so nasty combos with it. The ATK halving is...fine, I guess, but it makes it too vulnerable to be removed, which in turn will get you to lose your well-earned monster. Would it really be that bad if it didn't destroy the monsters you controlled, anyway?

Jolly provides some much need protection to the archetype, but, while a later card does do protection from targeting, you're still open to plain old card effect destruction. Ah well, the DEF and search is worth it, especially as the nuke effect...can't search. Never mind. Ah well, the self-nuking is fair enough. It works.

Yawl seems a bit random, with Man O' War doing its thing later, the fact that most of your monsters are going to be Summoned in attack via a Normal Summon. I think the DEF could be built on for the S/T, actually, so I guess that works. In fact, if you do do that, you could remove Man O' War's DEF battling effect, and make it so that "If this card battles an opponent's monster, destroys all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls at the end of the Damage Step." to make it so that your opponent has a reason not to attack.

Schooner has just the right amount of Graveyard interaction, and the protections from targeting makes it combo nicely with other cards, especially as it also protects itself. The self-nuking and control only 1 is a theme, I see, and to be honest, it does allow you to get creative with the effects in different ways. The archetype is a bit too restrictive currently, but that's only with the MD, The Traps seem to be fine.

Didn't notice Galleon had that attack while in DEF too effect. This basically, combined with Man O' War and the Normal Summoning of the archetype, renders Yawl not so useful. I would suggest leaving Yawl with its effect and doing something different with Galleon and Man O' War (Or my suggestion for the latter) or making Yawl do something different instead. Just noticed Cap'n's effect only halves ATK, so that combines nicely if you decided to keep Yawl's effect.

Man O' War is great. Not much else to say there.

To be honest, I like the archetype, I just think you are playing it too safe with the cards as a whole. It has potential to get going, but the timing and Summoning restrictions kill the speed and hope for generics, if leaving the versatility completely intact and wonderful. I am disappointed by the lack of some more fueling monsters and bosses, but the traps do fill in that niche a little. Nice work.

Matey and Scallywag seem to set the stage for an Xyz archetype, with them being banished if they leave the field but being Level 4 for easy Xyz. However, they are the only two Level 4 monsters in the archetype, Matey is too slow to be Summonable for Xyz and is easy for your opponent to get rid of, not to mention slow for tributing. I would suggest some synergy with the banished zone if that is the case, as they just seem to banish...just because, and don't really have much reason to get out Matey  as he's left to your opponent for a full turn, and Scallywag is most likely Summoned on your opponent's turn. I feel the banishing isn't necessarily, considering the speed of the archetype right now is minimal. Or at least, work with it to build some banishing interaction.

I don't like infinitely Summoning cards to not have a drawback like that, and as you said, they are able to Xyz Summon, which is the idea to do with them in case you don't want to lose them.

Buccaneer doesn't really bode well, due to drawing from your hand, but the Normal Summoning without Tribute does buff it a bit. I would suggest increasing ATK and DEF, considering the defensiveness of the archetype, but otherwise seems alright...we just have to hope the rest of the archetype doesn't draw too much on your hand, as we also are setting Cont Traps.

It has an effect that increases stats all around, it would be silly to change it any further.

Rapscallion is...wonderful. Relatively good stats, some draw power to replenish your hand, an extra Normal Summon (which this archetype desperately needs, considering how reliant it is on that). What more could you ask for? Again, considering the lack of Graveyard interactions in the archetype, no need for the first two to banish.

Cap'n is very...interesting. I'm assuming the last effect means you can activate them during your opponent's turn as well? If so, it's a great card to use. I'm glad the first effect isn't SS2, otherwise we could make so nasty combos with it. The ATK halving is...fine, I guess, but it makes it too vulnerable to be removed, which in turn will get you to lose your well-earned monster. Would it really be that bad if it didn't destroy the monsters you controlled, anyway?

Yes it does work in either player's turn. As you said, it's relatively easy to remove, which is why it destroys, so you can't as easily steal.

Jolly provides some much need protection to the archetype, but, while a later card does do protection from targeting, you're still open to plain old card effect destruction. Ah well, the DEF and search is worth it, especially as the nuke effect...can't search. Never mind. Ah well, the self-nuking is fair enough. It works.

Yawl seems a bit random, with Man O' War doing its thing later, the fact that most of your monsters are going to be Summoned in attack via a Normal Summon. I think the DEF could be built on for the S/T, actually, so I guess that works. In fact, if you do do that, you could remove Man O' War's DEF battling effect, and make it so that "If this card battles an opponent's monster, destroys all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls at the end of the Damage Step." to make it so that your opponent has a reason not to attack.

Well, it's meant to make monsters you steal able to attack, I thought you would see the idea there.

Schooner has just the right amount of Graveyard interaction, and the protections from targeting makes it combo nicely with other cards, especially as it also protects itself. The self-nuking and control only 1 is a theme, I see, and to be honest, it does allow you to get creative with the effects in different ways. The archetype is a bit too restrictive currently, but that's only with the MD, The Traps seem to be fine.

Didn't notice Galleon had that attack while in DEF too effect. This basically, combined with Man O' War and the Normal Summoning of the archetype, renders Yawl not so useful. I would suggest leaving Yawl with its effect and doing something different with Galleon and Man O' War (Or my suggestion for the latter) or making Yawl do something different instead. Just noticed Cap'n's effect only halves ATK, so that combines nicely if you decided to keep Yawl's effect.

Man O' War is great. Not much else to say there.

To be honest, I like the archetype, I just think you are playing it too safe with the cards as a whole. It has potential to get going, but the timing and Summoning restrictions kill the speed and hope for generics, if leaving the versatility completely intact and wonderful. I am disappointed by the lack of some more fueling monsters and bosses, but the traps do fill in that niche a little. Nice work.

Comments in the quote in bold.

Archived