ITT: Players start with 10,000 LP

This is a thought I had after I watched a duel where both players started with 16000 LP.

The idea is: Both players start with 10000 LP.

But, despite it being a simple change, I believe it has at least a couple of interesting implications, such as:

- Players will have more LP to pay for cards such as the Solemn Traps, Instant Fusion, Soul Charge, Cosmic Cyclone, etc. and may feel more comfortable with running them.

- Players will have more LP to soak up damage, increasing the chances of topdecking a key cards and make that comeback, or otherwise making games a bit longer.

- OTKs will be more difficult to drop.

- Ancient Leaf could become an interesting, potentially relevant (or even problematic) card as it will be live starting from turn 1, for those players feeling like taking the risk of drawing it early game for practically a Pot of Greed, or the card ending up dead at later stages of the duel.

plus other consequences I may be missing.

So, I would like to read your thoughts and opinions on it:

Would it lead to a better dueling experience than the standard 8000 LP duels?

Would you be interested in playing duels under this format (or rule or whatever it's called)?

Are there any cards that could be abused or become a problem by this additional LP players will have (e.g. maybe Hope for Escape? Endless Decay?)

Would it be more entertaining if duels started with a higher LP instead, and potentially problematic cards were placed in a custom banlist?

I believe it would be an interesting implementation to have in the game, and would be all in for having it and seeing what happens.

You stated the good points. I believe there are also potential issues that could arise in exchange. Let me see if I can think of anything just for the sake of argument.

-Solemn cards, Cosmic Cyclone, Soul Charge, etc.
Those cards were made with the 8k LP standard in mind. They are meant to not be used comfortably. The LP costs adding up combined with average amounts of damage you take, can let you very fragile very fast if you misstep. In a 10k LP standard, the differences are subtle, but things like maxing out on Solemn Strikes (for example) and getting to use them all changes from costing you over half your LP to under half your LP, and you are more likely to be able to run that Warning and a couple of Scoldings just in case you draw into more of them, because decks sometimes main a tiny little bit more than they should be able to pay for, under the assumption that they are not likely to use them all in a single Duel. The costs keep the amount of those cards that you run in check on purpose.

(i.e. LP cost staples are like Mega Evolution or the upcoming Z-Moves in Pokemon, you can use them but not for all your team and need to instead think of which to use, and for the rest that you can't you'll have to put up with the regular versions if you don't want to strain with too much power, so MST instead of Cosmic, and good old Bottomless when you can't have more Solemns :v )

-Competitive game-play is more interested in your matches being faster as opposed to taking longer.

Because as fun as it'd be to have the one single game be more fulfilling and allow for enough more plays to be able to happen without their failing potentially costing you the game, you are still meant to finish a match in under an hour, and I understand why this is the case, some people travel far away for big enough events and wouldn't want to add an extra day or two to said events....

-On top of the above, it might still not be enough.

What's the quality of OTK moves you've seen throughout your time playing Yugioh? When it comes to OTKs, sometimes over-extending doesn't require as much card-advantage investment anymore, and I've seen it range from 6k damage on board after clearing the path, to past 12k damage on board depending on the situation. Can't back this one up with specifics, but would that really do much?

I know we don't exactly live in an OTK-heavy format but it can easily produce OTKs if a player doesn't push back properly so the game would still be pretty unforgiving. I've even seen some tag duels on YGOPro (16,000 LP) where one player in a team gets wrecked and the other one can push back for the both of them, so defining exactly how many LP to start with is tricky. I used to hear some members at YCM say around 12k would work for most intends and purposes (it was back in the Synchro era though, and Ancient Leaf being the single card it is did not become a concern for them to compromise its existence, they simply hypothetically banned it).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I do like the idea though, and since all my points are theory at best, it'd be best to give it a shot and see what happens.

Really good points there.

Although more LP could make duels last longer, it also make power cards like the Solemn Traps more live, which otherwise would be risky for depleting your LP too quickly or becoming dead late game. So it's kind of "you have more LP to keep playing, but also there may be more power cards around".

It is true that time-restrained matches prefer fast duels, and adding more LP goes against that. And while that extra LP could save a player for losing and make a big comeback, that also means the duel just got extended by 5~10 minutes, which could be a problem when time is running out.

Also there is the other side of the coin: just like sometimes it happens that a player looks at his/her next card in the deck after losing only to see it was the right card for a comeback and then wishes he he/she ad survived the previous turn, after an LP boost surely players will sometimes wish games still started at 8000 LP for those cases that they otherwise would have attained the victory before the opponent had the chance of coming back. In other words, the change goes both ways.

As for OTKs strategies becoming relevant or not, well, as you said, there are different kind of OTKs, from those that need to inflict previous damage, from ones that can drop 10000+ damage right away. Of course, starting with 10000 LP would be irrelevant for the latter cases, but it will affect the former ones, pushing the opponent to be more thoughtful with investing more or taking a few more turns to achieve or ensure the OTK.

Overall, I'm not debunking what you stated and I agree with it. But still, so far this is pretty much theory, so a good next step would be to make some tests to better evaluate the effect of starting duels with +2000 LP.

This is gonna be a shorter and less technical reply but:

Personally, I'd prefer something like 12,000 (so around 150% from current), and ban Ancient Leaf. If Ancient Leaf turns out your only concern, you are allowed to get rid of it in this hypothetical standard.

and finally, I'd just test out the other LP paying effects in games and see for sure how they react here. Recently I've found out that too many Monster Effect negators (Breakthrough, Fiendish, Chalice, Veiler, Forgetfulness, Divine Wrath) in a deck actually hinders it in a counter-productive manner so one has to adjust for necessity over all. Maybe the Solemns could wind-up like that or will in the near future. Part of the enhancing issue of Solemns are actually their Ariadne searchability (+1) in Pendulum variants, but apart from those plays I've heard of Strike as "powerful" but not "banworthy". Who knows?

Or maybe the custom card mechanic I created is what the game needs, not just higher LP :v

Archived