[AGM] [Written] Showcase Master: Yet another Show-themed Archetype! (12/12)

Dova

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters: (6)]Showcase Master Dyanmus

LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 2100/2000 - [10/10]

Pendulum Effect:

Unless you have a "Showcase Master" card in your other Pendulum Zone, this card's Pendulum Scale becomes 4. You can Pendulum Summon monsters from your Graveyard, but, if you do, you lose 500 LP for each monster Summoned. You cannot Pendulum Summon a monster(s) from your Extra Deck the turn you Summon a monster(s) this way.

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only attack with Spellcaster-Type monsters during the turn you activate this effect. You can tribute this card: Special Summon 1 “Showcase Master” monster from face-up in your Extra Deck. You can only use each effect of “Showcase Master Dynamus” once per turn.

Showcase Master Comus

DARK - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 0/3000 - [8/8]

Pendulum Effect:

If you Pendulum Summon exactly 1 monster: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” card in your Pendulum Zone: Special Summon it, and, if you do, both players take 1000 damage. You can send 1 other Level 9 monster you control to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy it. You can only use each of these effects of “Showcase Master Comus” once per turn.

Showcase Master Valentinus

FIRE - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 2600/600 - [10/10]

Pendulum Effect:

Unless you have a "Showcase Master" card in your other Pendulum Zone, this card's Pendulum Scale becomes 4. You can Pendulum Summon monsters from your Graveyard, but, if you do, you lose 500 LP for each monster Summoned. You cannot Pendulum Summon a monster(s) from your Extra Deck the turn you Summon a monster(s) this way.

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Showcase Master” monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Showcase Master Valentinus” once per turn. Once per turn, if you Special Summon exactly 1 Level 9 monster: You can deal 1000 damage to your opponent.

Showcase Master Slydinus

DARK - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 800/2900 - [8/8]

Pendulum Effect:

Once per turn: You can discard 1 Level 9 monster, and, if you do, draw 1 card.

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 “Showcase Master” card from your Deck to the Graveyard. If you Special Summon exactly 1 “Showcase Master” monster, except from your Graveyard: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use each effect of “Showcase Master Slydinus” once per turn.

Showcase Master Tellus

WATER - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 2900/0 - [10/10]

Pendulum Effect:

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: Your opponent takes damage equal to the number of Level 9 monsters you control x400. If this card is used as Xyz Material for the Xyz Summon of a Rank 9 or higher monster: You can add 1 “Showcase” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of “Showcase Master Tellus” once per turn.

Showcase Master Rovius

WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect - 2000/2100 - [8/8]

Pendulum Effect:

When you Xyz Summon a Rank 9 or higher monster: You can Special Summon this card from your Pendulum Zone.

Monster Effect:

When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” Pendulum monster in your Graveyard; Place it in one of your free Pendulum Zones. You can tribute this card, then target 1 “Showcase Master” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use 1 effect of “Showcase Master Rovius” per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters: (2)]

Showcase Master Atlantus

DARK - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect - 2800/2100

Monster Effect:

2 Level 9 monsters

When this card is Summoned: Your opponent takes damage equal to the number of other monsters you control x500. If this card is destroyed during your opponent’s turn: You can target 1 “Showcase Master” monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only use each of these effects of “Showcase Master Atlantus” once per turn. Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; if either player takes effect damage this turn, you gain Life Points equal to the amount taken.

Showcase Master Medeus

WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Spellcaster/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect - 3000/3000 - [10/10]

Pendulum Effect:

You can Pendulum Summon “Showcase Master” monsters from your Graveyard, but, if you do, you lose 500 LP for each monster Summoned.

Monster Effect:

3 Level 9 monsters

If you can Pendulum Summon Level 9, you can Pendulum Summon this face-up card in your Extra Deck. If this card in the Monster Zone is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can destroy as many cards in your Pendulum Zones as possible (min. 1), and if you do, place this card in your Pendulum Zone.

[spoiler=Spells: (4)]

Showcase Act - Dramatic Survival

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Send 1 “Showcase Master” monster from your Deck to your Graveyard or destroy this card. Other face-up “Showcase” Spell Cards you control cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Showcase Act - Trickster Chaos

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Send 1 “Showcase Master” monster from your Deck to your Graveyard or destroy this card. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if an Xyz Monster is targeted by a card or effect: You can negate that card or effect, and if you do, send it to the Graveyard.

Showcase Act - Encore Performance

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Send 1 “Showcase Master” monster from your Deck to your Graveyard or destroy this card. When you Special Summon a Rank 9 monster: Place 1 Showcase Counter on this card. You can remove 3 Showcase Counters from this card; add 1 “Showcase” card from your Deck to your hand.

Showcase Act - Great Escapades

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Send 1 “Showcase Master” monster from your Deck to your Graveyard or destroy this card. When you Special Summon a Level/Rank 9 monster(s): Your opponent takes 300 damage.

[spoiler=Prompt]A Rank 9 based Pendulum archetype, composed of the eponymous monsters and "Showcase" Continuous Spells, which each force you to Foolish an archetype monster every turn, which would normally be bad in a Pendulum archetype . . . however, their Scales have effects that let you pay Life Points to Pendulum Summon from the Graveyard instead of the Extra Deck, just in case you want something that you sent to the Graveyard or used as Xyz Material. In terms of how it functions . . . Think tellarknights meet D/D meet modern Red-Eyes, and you kinda get it: use Spells, Summon everything, start wonky effect chains that let you Summon more things, make a bunch of bosses, Summon even more things, inflict uncomfortable amounts of burn, and attack your opponent if it's still necessary.

CnC would be appreciated.

Rank 9 Pendulums. An interesting idea akin to that of Rank 10 trains, to make the Rank 9 pool more accessible. As of now you can really only access it through Rank-up magics, or slapping them on Galaxy-Eyes monsters. Anyway, at the end I’ll talk about some good Rank 9’s for this archetype, but I’d like preface this by saying the idea of Pendulum summoning from the Graveyard is appealing, as Xyz Summoning is the only form of summoning where the Pendulums go the Graveyard, not the Extra Deck, so still having that usability is nice. Anyway, onto the review.

Dynamus: Well already I like that you’re showing costs necessary for this new idea of Pendulum Summoning from the Graveyard. Now if you want to use multiple resources from the Graveyard, it’ll cost you, and it locks you out from the Extra Deck, very interesting. I like that you also tie it to the archetype by making the scale revert to 4 without a matching archetype scale. Generic Pendulums are honestly not that great an idea. As for the monster effect, it shows some great forethought. It lessens amount of LP needed to be spent by 500, but makes you only able to attack with Spellcasters, making generic Rank 9’s unable to attack the turn they are summoned, and also allowing you to swap this out with a “Showcase Master” stuck in the Extra Deck, while getting this back in the Graveyard to use its effect again.

Cosmus: A scale that encourages you to only Pendulum Summon 1 monster, what blasphemy is this? Anyway, it’s very interesting, as it allows you to retrieve stuff from the Graveyard if you decide to Pendulum Summon from the Extra Deck, and as this feels like an archetype that’s likely to not have many Pendulum Monsters in the Extra Deck, that’s pretty nice. Anyway, since this archetype seems unable to pop its own scales, it’s definitely a good idea to make it able to summon scales. You might want to make that ‘when’ an ‘if’, but if it’s the only monster with this effect on summon, you can just summon it last. The targeting destruction for getting one in the Graveyard is nice stuff too, just general removal that help promotes the archetype. I think the last sentence should be worded as “You can only use each effect of “Showcase Master Comus” once per turn.”

Valentinus: The Pendulum effect is just Dynamus’s, so not much else to say. The monster effect seems a bit weird, as there is no restriction on summoning from the hand, and it feels like they’re less likely to be in the hand then the Graveyard, but it is appreciated, and does give more purpose for having it say “when”. I’m a bit wary of that last bit of burn damage though, as if you have multiple on the field, that’s burn damage that can be stacked, possibly for up to 3000 per turn. Since this thing summons one from the hand, which is less likely as I mentioned earlier, but still possible, that’s a bit hard to stomach. Maybe make it an HOPT instead.

Slydinus: I think that discard should be a cost, so it can’t be negated, but it’s up to you. Anyway, decent support to help thin your deck a bit, and gets them in the Grave to summon. Anyway, an archetype specific Foolish Burial is always nice to see. I see this is a way to shenanigan out 4 of these for the cost of 1000 LP or less. Just summon this and one that summons from the Extra Deck, hand, or Graveyard on summon, and then use this to retrieve from the Graveyard after doing so.

Tellus: 400 burn per monster is pretty harsh, if its summoned last with a full field, you could burn for 2000. It feels like this deck would have some issues getting started as is, but once it does, you could burn your opponent consistently, and relentlessly. The spell search is a pretty nice addition.

Rovius: So even if you mess up when summoning, you can still Special Summon this to activate the effects of your Showcase Master’s. Feels almost like training wheels for someone who hasn’t fully mastered the archetype, but could still be beneficial for those Xyz monsters, who knows. I like that as it’s summoned it replaces itself with a scale, nice stuff, and this is actually a good choice to make it so both effects are tied together as an HOPT honestly, so good stuff.

Atlantus: Deals up to 1500 damage on summon, bit hesitant on that, with all the burn you have, this feels like an archetype that could win without attacking. I mean Red-Eyes also have some serious burn damage, but it’s tied to attacking, and overall is weaker in statline. The gaining of LP is fine imo, just a way to keep yourself ahead in resources.

Medeus: Well it’s pretty convoluted, but you can finally summon generic level 9 generic monsters with this archetype. Anyway, this feels like something you might get out once, just so you can summon Atlantus from the Graveyard multiple times for burn. I feel like it if it requires 3 Level 9 monsters it should have some additional attack, or at least a small stat boost to 3500 or something.

Dramatic Survival: Foolish Burial once per turn, and protects your other Showcases, adding a cost might be something to consider, as is, it seems a bit powerful.

Trickster Chaos: Targeting protection for your Rank 9’s. Since it’s not a field spell, it’s fine, still destructible against TT, or Dark Magic Attack.

Encore Performance: Pretty slow honestly. This feels like an effect better on a Pendulum scale. Even then, it seems like win more, as if you summoned 3 Rank 9 Xyz monsters, then you’re probably winning the game.

Great Escapades: More burn I see, nothing too powerful unless you stack its effect with multiples.

Okay, well now that I finished that, I might as well talk about some of support you could give it. I thought Cloudcastle might be decent tech for this archetype, as it revives a Level 9 on summon, but it’s a Level 9 Synchro, so unless you’re using Level Eater it’s probably not happening. Still something to consider as it floodgates the opponent, and helps with Rank 9 plays.

First off there’s Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon, for some targeted destruction of any card, however it requires 3 Level 9’s, and its only use if for Rank 8 Decks, so it can float back into Cipher Dragon. Overall it’s outclassed by Phantom Fortress Enterblathnir, which while weaker at 2900, boasts non-targeting banishing of any card in the Graveyard, field, hand, or top of the Deck, so it’s the preferred choice.

It also has access to Number 9: Dyson Sphere, which is basically immune to battle destruction, and can re-retrieve Xyz Materials if someone is foolish enough to attack it. Also, it can attack directly with 2800, so it’s basically like a stronger Cowboy or Gustav Max for game, except limited in the fact that your opponent must control a stronger monster to use this effect.

Number 92: Heart-Earth Dragon, which is actually pretty powerful, with battle protection, and the ability to banish all cards your opponent controls at their End Phase. If destroyed, it gains 1000 ATK for each banished card. As this archetype doesn’t banish, it’s situational, but is pretty devastating in the Kozmo matchup.

Number 95: Dark Matter Dragon, this archetype doesn’t have dragons, but 4k beater that can attack twice is nothing to scoff at, and will help beat over threats.

Number C15: Gimmick Puppet Giant Hunter: Targeted destruction, plus burn for the original ATK of the popped monster.

Finally, Number C107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon: For 3 Level 9 monsters you get a 4500 beater, that can negate the effects of all other face up monsters, and prevents your opponent from activating any traps in response. So you need to hit this card on the summon basically.

Well now that, that’s out of the way, here are my thought.

Overall: While I appreciate the idea, and think it’s wonderfully done in a bubble with just some slight nerfs needed here and there, giving access to the Rank 9 toolbox by using Pendulums may not be the best idea. If you make the scales such that they prevent the summoning of non archetype specific monsters, similar to “Qlis” this would solve this problem. While I like the idea of giving easier access to the Rank 9 toolbox, similar to Rank 10 Trains, pendulums just do it too easy. Pendulums don’t have to worry about the resource management like Rank 10 Trains, or protecting their monsters like Rank 10 trains, if they’re Solemn’d when Pendulum Summoned, they still have the potential to come back from the Graveyard. Also, as I stated earlier, the amount of burn for just playing the archetype seems a bit excessive, and I’d definitely appreciate lessening some of the amounts.

Archived