[Finished][~nya~'s CC] EXPLOSION!

Bellringer Angel

OCG (5/10): OCG is all over the place. From “points of damage”, to using it to describe itself in its battle destruction, to using a colon w/ a speed 2 effect that can’t trigger freely during either player’s turn.

Spell Speed 2 card effects can have a colon, because card effects with Spell Speeds are always activated effects, and activated effects are denoted in PSCT by a colon or semicolon.

Only triggered effects can be triggered. Trigger Effects, and the triggered effects of Spell Cards, are always Spell Speed 1. The card in question is a monster.

What does the fact that the effect in question cannot be activated freely during either player's turn have anything to do with the inclusion of the colon? Also, "When you take battle/effect damage" is a perfectly valid activation timing for any fast effect. Its use is not limited to triggered effects.

OCG (8/10): Some minor things, such as semi-colons where colons should be, and a “then” statement on the destruction effect, which should be an “and if

you do” clause.

No, both "and if you do" and "then" can be correct in this case; it is purely a design choice.

OCG (6/10): It’s understandable why the OCG is clunky in places, considering this style of effect hasn’t been done before, but the wording is still all over the place. Errors in colons/semi-colons, sentence structure, and wording are prevalent throughout the card.

There is only 1 case of colon/semicolon error, not multiple.

OCG (8/10): Some minor OCG stuff, like the Pendulum Destruction targeting a card instead of a monster, and the destruction clause having a colon to trigger, instead of being continuous.

"Card" is more correct than "monster" in this case, because Spell/Trap Cards can be Special Summoned (but only as monsters), but cards in the Pendulum Zone would not be able to be targeted at all if it said "monster". The bigger problem is that this Pendulum Effect is impossible to activate under normal circumstances.

If what you mean by "destruction clause" is the Trigger Effect that places the card in the Pendulum Zone, that being a triggered (i.e. activated) effect with a colon is perfectly valid. See any Extra Deck Pendulum Monster.

OCG (4/10): While the costs and effects are correct, all the Summoning effects are missing proper conditions, and the Defense Position battling text OCG is completely left out.

No, they are not; none of them require any further conditions to function properly, be it activation conditions or otherwise.

If by "Defense Position battling text OCG" you mean "If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation," it is not required. Without it, you just apply ATK for damage calculation. See Rampart Blaster.

OCG (7/10): Mostly correct, save for the lack of Colons or Semi-colons to dictate Condition/Cost/Effect

Colons and semicolons, as per the PSCT article, denote conditions, activations (not costs, which exclude targeting), and effects.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well congrats for the winner . . . .

Anyway, umm . . . about OCG scoring, you said my OCG are all over the places and errors in colons/semi-colons so . . . . care to point that out where my mistakes? thx.

As for my *ahem* low Balance/Usability/Mechanic, well . . . its Level 2 Warrior, so obviously ROTA/Reinforce Truth target so i doubt its a slow removal. Also why low stats? especially 200 DEF? Rekindling/Fire Fist Spirit exist . . . . but anyway whats done its done. Just . . .

Spell Speed 2 card effects can have a colon, because card effects with Spell Speeds are always activated effects, and activated effects are denoted in PSCT by a colon or semicolon.

Only triggered effects can be triggered. Trigger Effects, and the triggered effects of Spell Cards, are always Spell Speed 1. The card in question is a monster.

What does the fact that the effect in question cannot be activated freely during either player's turn have anything to do with the inclusion of the colon? Also, "When you take battle/effect damage" is a perfectly valid activation timing for any fast effect. Its use is not limited to triggered effects.

No, both "and if you do" and "then" can be correct in this case; it is purely a design choice.

There is only 1 case of colon/semicolon error, not multiple.

"Card" is more correct than "monster" in this case, because Spell/Trap Cards can be Special Summoned (but only as monsters), but cards in the Pendulum Zone would not be able to be targeted at all if it said "monster". The bigger problem is that this Pendulum Effect is impossible to activate under normal circumstances.

If what you mean by "destruction clause" is the Trigger Effect that places the card in the Pendulum Zone, that being a triggered (i.e. activated) effect with a colon is perfectly valid. See any Extra Deck Pendulum Monster.

No, they are not; none of them require any further conditions to function properly, be it activation conditions or otherwise.

If by "Defense Position battling text OCG" you mean "If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation," it is not required. Without it, you just apply ATK for damage calculation. See Rampart Blaster.

Colons and semicolons, as per the PSCT article, denote conditions, activations (not costs, which exclude targeting), and effects.

I wanted to try and avoid putting corrected OCG examples in everyone's entries, but it looks like I'll have to end up doing so. I'll update the OP w/ corrected OCG to show my reasoning for each score. I apologize for the lack of clarity on the entries.

As for Kanashimi's entry, the "slow" term I used in your reasoning was based off the card requiring set-up in order to generate value. Using your Normal Summon is a precious resource, and removing the targeted card 2 turns ahead is not a strong option in a lot of decks (considering, in place of such a card, it would be some form of S/T removal, or a board clear primarily). What I meant by "certain decks" were of 2 things: 1), the deck does not heavily rely on its normal summon. 2), the deck has manners in which to bring back the card from the Graveyard, or Special Summoning it via other means. This doesn't necessarily mean the card is unable to be used in other decks, it's just not quite as solid of an option for said decks. Also, point above, I will include your OCG fixes w/ the review. 

I wanted to try and avoid putting corrected OCG examples in everyone's entries, but it looks like I'll have to end up doing so. I'll update the OP w/ corrected OCG to show my reasoning for each score. I apologize for the lack of clarity on the entries.

It wasn't the intention to point out any cases in which you had insufficient reasoning (lack of examples). I was pointing out cases in which you had invalid reasoning. Except in the cases in which the card effect you refer to is unclear (and only because it would otherwise be blatantly incorrect), clarity is not the issue here.

Merely including corrected OCG examples for each participant's submission is not the solution.

It wasn't the intention to point out any cases in which you had insufficient reasoning (lack of examples). I was pointing out cases in which you had invalid reasoning. Except in the cases in which the card effect you refer to is unclear (and only because it would otherwise be blatantly incorrect), clarity is not the issue here.

Merely including corrected OCG examples for each participant's submission is not the solution.

I'm not just going to make the corrected OCG, I'll also be pointing out each point where the OCG was incorrect, so people can review it. If, after reviewing said cases I was wrong, I will adjust it accordingly. 

Edit: Took your points into consideration, and altered the scores for OCG on some of the entries. Thank you for pointing out said rulings, I should have taken more time to go over the OCG pieces before revealing the results.

I'm not just going to make the corrected OCG, I'll also be pointing out each point where the OCG was incorrect, so people can review it. If, after reviewing said cases I was wrong, I will adjust it accordingly. 

Edit: Took your points into consideration, and altered the scores for OCG on some of the entries. Thank you for pointing out said rulings, I should have taken more time to go over the OCG pieces before revealing the results.

No problem. This is the least subjective part of card grading, so I want this much to be as correct as possible.

If you don't agree with anything I've said, please ask about it instead of ignoring it as you have done in some of the examples below, and we can discuss them separately.

OCG (8/10): Placed a semi-colon before “Normal Summoned;” instead of a colon, Destroy doesn’t need to be capitalized, also another semi-colon before “monster;”.

Ex: When this card is Normal Summoned: (Colon needs to be used instead of semi-colon when structuring cost) You can target 1 Level 5 or lower FIRE monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, then you can make this card's Level equal to the Summoned monster's Level (slight tweak to improve conciseness of effect). At the start of the Battle Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: (same reasoning as before) destroy both that monster and this card. You can only control 1 "Exploder Flare Signal Bomb".

Colons can be used in card effects that do not have a cost at all, so they are not used in place of semicolons "when structuring costs". (But they can be used in conjunction with semicolons to structure the things you do when you activate an effect.)

"At the start of the Battle Step" should probably be "When this card declares an attack on an opponent's monster" (also replacing "if this card battles an opponent's monster") or "At the start of the Damage Step".

OCG (7/10): OCG is sound for the most part, but has some issues in the latter half. Primarily in the use of a colon w/ a speed 2 effect that can’t trigger freely during either player’s turn.

Ex: If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls; destroy both targets, and if you do, Special Summon this card, then take 800 damage. Once per turn, this card (I'm fairly certain you're correct on this, not too sure on the most recent OCG on self-battle protection) cannot be destroyed by battle. You can only activate each of the following effects of "Flame Annihilator" once per turn: (This section of the OCG does not need to have a "During either player's turn" condition, because the effect can still activate on your opponent's turn, due to the effect being able to trigger on the met condition, regardless of which turn it is. Also, adding the colon in front of "During either player's turn" signifies the player has a choice at what point to activate the effect, which this kind of effect does not. An example would be an on-summon effect triggering during your opponent's turn, so long as the condition is met, like Satellarknight Deneb).

If you take battle damage, after damage calculation: You can destroy 1 face-up monster your opponent controls.

If (just a precaution to prevent it missing timing) you take effect damage: You can target 1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard; banish it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half the ATK or DEF of the banished monster.

"The first time this card would be destroyed by battle each turn, it is not destroyed."

"You can only activate each of the following effects of "Flame Annihilator" once per turn:" is not an effect. Why did you include a colon? "You can only activate each" is not the same as "You can only use each". Do not change the card's functionality. And "each of the following" is different from "each". Do not change the card's functionality.

"During either player's turn" in a monster effect's activation conditions denotes a Quick Effect. Quick Effects are Spell Speed 2 and Spell Speed 2 effects have different rules regarding them compared to Spell Speed 1 effects such as Trigger Effects, which is what you are trying to change this Quick Effect into. Just because an activation timing doesn't require "during either player's turn" to be able to be activated during either player's turn does not mean it cannot have "during either player's turn". Do not change the card's functionality.

Adding a colon in front of "During either player's turn" does not signify that the player has a choice at what point to activate the effect. You cannot activate an effect unless it is legal for you to do so. The location of a colon does not tell you when you can activate an effect. That is not the function of the colon in PSCT. So yes, even with a colon after "During either player's turn", you can still only activate the effect in question "When you take battle/effect damage".

There is no reason to change "When" to "If". It is perfectly possible to trigger these effects with "When". Do not change the card's functionality.

OCG (8/10): A bit sloppy in places, could have been refined in the targeting mechanics and the condition.

Ex: During either player's turn, if this card is targeted for an attack or by a monster effect: You can destroy this card, then target that monster; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of the destroyed monster's current ATK. (Condition needed some refinement, and you could have added a comma to the "then" clause of the cost) During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

"When a monster declares an attack" and "if a monster activates an effect that targets this card" are two separate dependent clauses. As such, it should be clear that "that targets this card" does not extend to "When a monster declares an attack".

You say that a comma needed to be added to the "then", but it was an "and" in the original card.

OCG (8/10): Functional, but does not follow a lot of basic OCG for Unions. The equipped monster destruction clause, for one, was left out of the Union equip effect, and not in parenthesis (when based off the newest OCG for Unions).

Ex: If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: inflict 300 lifepoint damage to the opponent. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 300 ATK and 200 DEF, and the following effects (If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead): (This is based off the latest OCG for Union monsters, and all prior Union cards having parenthesis conditions for equip destruction). 

-Once per turn, you can target 1 "Boomsnitch" equipped to this card; destroy it, then your opponent must randomly reveal cards in their hand equal to the number of "Boomsnitch" in both player's Graveyards.

You probably shouldn't wedge the "If the equipped monster would be destroyed ..." between the "gains the following effects" and the gained effect in your example.

OCG (9/10): Some minor things, such as semi-colons where colons should be.

Ex: Pendulum: Increase this card's Pendulum Scale by the number of Bomb Counters on it. Once per turn: You can remove 1 Bomb Counter from this card; destroy 1 face-up monster on your opponent's side of the field. When this card in your Pendulum Zone (Has to be specified) leaves the field: destroy monsters on your side of the field equal to the number of Bomb Counters left on this card, and if you do, Special Summon Level 4 monsters from your Deck equal to the total number of cards destroyed by this (removed "card's") effect.

Monster: If you control another "Goblin" monster, your opponent cannot target this card for an attack. At the end of the Damage Step, if this card battled: (colon instead of semi-colon, to signify condition) place 1 Bomb Counter on this card, and if you do, change this card to Defense Position. This card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except with a card effect. If this card would be destroyed by battle, you can place it in your Pendulum Zone instead (Bomb Counters remain on this card). 

No, "in your Pendulum Zone" doesn't have to be specified because that effect can only ever be used while the card is in the Pendulum Zone. The thing is, this effect is impossible to activate in the first place because if it leaves the field, it cannot be in the Pendulum Zone to activate the effect.

OCG (7/10): It’s understandable why the OCG is clunky in places, considering this style of effect hasn’t been done before, but there are still a few errors, like an instance of incorrect colons/semi-colon placement, and incorrect sentence structure on the 2nd sentence.

Ex: If this card is Summoned: You can target 1 face-up card on the field; Set it. The targeted card cannot be flipped face-up or change its battle position while this card is face-up on the field. (Clauses such as "Card targeted by this effect" are not sufficient OCG.) During the 4th End Phase if the targeted card is still on the field: (colon instead of semi-colon to dictate condition) destroy it, and if you do, destroy all cards (no need for parenthesis on cards, as the effect always has the potential of destroying every card in those columns. Unlike Bottomless Trap Hole, which can potentially hit 1 or more monsters) in the same column, then inflict 500 damage to both players for each of their cards destroyed by this effect.

There is no reason to say "cannot be flipped face-up" is more correct than "cannot be activated". "Cannot be flipped face-up" has overlaps with "cannot change its battle position" while the original does not. Not to mention these are different functionalities. Do not change the card's functionality. 

Why is "Card (or cards) targeted by this effect" not "sufficient OCG"? How is it less sufficient than "The targeted card"?

OCG (3/10): Yeah, this is a mess. From incorrect terminology, to awkwardly worded conditions, to a lack of plurals (monster vs monsters), double negative terms, it’s a mechanical mess. It still follows basic OCG structure, however, so credit will be given for that.

Ex: Cannot be Special Summon/Set. Must first be Tribute Summoned by using 2 or 3 FIRE monsters as Tribute. If this card is Tribute (replaced Normal with Tribute) Summoned by Tributing 3 Monsters: Destroy all other cards on the field. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's effectAfter this effect resolves, OR when this card battles an opponent's monster: all other face-up cards on the field gain the following effects (OCG had to be totally revised to correctly illustrate the proper conditions for the effect to activate) (even after this card leaves the field):

● During your Standby Phase: you lose 500 LP. this effect cannot be negated. "Drakonomikon of Endings - Царь-бомба" on the field gains 200 ATK and DEF.

Total (21/100)

Your appended "as Tribute" is not necessary. In fact, you should just say "Requires 2 or 3 FIRE Tributes to Normal Summon/Set", because "Must first be" does not correspond with Normal Summons anyway. (Or with Tribute Sets.)

You capitalised "monsters" in "by Tributing 3 Monsters". This is not correct.

"Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's effect" should be "Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation". "This card's effect" is especially unclear. Is it just that effect or any activated effect of that card? (But which one?)

I'm not reading the rest of this submission because I can't understand it either and I won't fault you for suggesting a solution that does not fully replicate the original effect in functionality in this case.

Except, "Every 'Drakonomikon of Endings - Царь-бомба' on the field gains ..."

OCG (9/10): Some minor OCG stuff, like the Pendulum Destruction targeting a card instead of a monster.

Ex: Pendulum: All Synchro Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card in the Pendulum Zone is destroyed by a card effect: You can target 1 "Clear Wing" card in your Pendulum Zone or 1 "Clear Wing" Synchro Monster in your Graveyard (You cannot have an effect target any card in your Graveyard to SS, because if there is a "Clear Wing" Spell/Trap card released into the game, it makes the effect mechanically broken. Even if it can be legally targeted, it cannot be legally summoned, breaking the game state); Special Summon it.

Monster: When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can place 1 "Clear Wing" Synchro Monster from your Graveyard or face-up from your Extra Deck in your Pendulum Zone, and if you do, its Pendulum Scale becomes 2. During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. You can only activate this effect of "Crystal Wing Explosive Dragon" once per turn. If this card in the Monster Zone is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. (Was incorrect on the colon trigger for its destruction clause, so I corrected the OCG score to accommodate for it).

Why did you specify Synchro Monster? Monster is enough.

Why would that break the game state?

(This effect is still impossible to activate.)

OCG (7/10): While the costs and effects are correct, all the Summoning effects are missing proper conditions, and the Defense Position battling text OCG is completely left out.

Ex: You can Tribute (needed to be capitalized) 1 FIRE Xyz Monster you control that has no Xyz Materials; Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can discard Machine-Type monster(s) whose total levels equal 7 or more; Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard). When this card is Summoned by its own effect: Both players take 800 damage. This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position, also when you do, apply its DEF for damage calculation. (Some clause for damage calculation needs to be included, otherwise, it's unclear what stats are being used during battle) 

You did not specify anything about "the Summoning effects missing proper conditions" even in your revised example.

No, it is not unclear what stats are being used for damage calculation. ATK is used, always. That is how the game works. This can be contradicted by card effects, in which case you play by the card effect. The card will apply ATK for damage calculation; no additional information regarding that is required. Do not change the card's functionality.

Again, see Rampart Blaster.

OCG (7/10): Mostly correct, save for the lack of Colons or Semi-colons to dictate Condition/Cost/Effect.

Ex: Monsters your opponent controls cannot target your monsters for attack, except this one. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You (corrected capitalization and colon instead of comma) can target 1 monster your opponent controls; (semi-colons also needed to dictate cost, which in this case is targeting) destroy both it and this card. Once per turn: You can Tribute this card; destroy all Spell/Trap cards on the field.

Use "attacks" or "an attack". "Attack" is less correct than any of those two in this case. (I would use "attacks," (as in the original card) but I would also rewrite the entire effect to begin with.)

Semicolons do not dictate cost. Anything preceding a semicolon, but after the colon, if any, tell you what you do when you activate the effect.

Targeting is not a cost.

"Destroy it and this card" is different from "destroy both it and this card". In the first case, either card can stop being a valid target and it would still destroy the other. In the second case, both cards must still be valid targets for any to be destroyed. Do not change the card's functionality.

Well, that went as badly as I expected actually. Didn't think of the Batteryman archetype, and went for the pun on weapon battery instead. That's why it was Machine-Type, because it's literally an artillery kind of battery, and also why it has attacking in defense position, because it's a construct which attacks by launching explosives ( Now that I think of it, why did I even give it 'grenade' in the name? :V ) . Explosion = burn damage , kinda obvious here, but yeah, out of place. Give rank 6 some love! . As for the other part, it was a kind of a test of '2 different special summon clauses from 2 different places' . Of course, with no effort on the actual clauses this last place was an expected result. This entry was not meant to be ^^'  .

Archived