[Leaderboard] Season 14 Postseason (Match 3-1) [FINAL]

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- Whoever gets 3 votes or the one with the most votes by 9/1/2016 @ 10 pm HST wins

- Voters must elaborate on their votes

- Participants or I reserve the right to contest/reject your votes if deemed necessary

- All voters will be given reps for accepted votes.

Theme

Make a "Majespecter" monster

Card A

Majespecter Salamander - Kappah
Level 4 | WIND | Reptile | Pendulum | Effect
Scale 2
1500/0
PE: N/A
ME: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can reveal 3 "Majespecter" cards from your Deck, your opponent randomly picks 1 for you to add to your hand, then send the rest to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Majespecter Salamander - Kappah" once per turn. Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Card B

Majespecter Dragon - Ryu
Level 3 | WIND | Spellcaster | Pendulum | Effect
Scale 2
900/1200
PE: N/A
ME: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Majespecter" monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Majespecter Dragon - Ryu" once per turn. Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

-----
Alright, go and vote, guys.
Whoever wins this gets the championship.

Right off the bat, Card A is a Reptile-Type? That's a big minus points for flavor. That also means its searchable by Feral Imps which is not that hard to summon with the Majespecters. Effectwise, it's basically Tincan for Majespecters and this also gives a fast setup for Norden or targetables for Supercell. I really like this kind of search for the Majespecters.

Card B also has some problems with the flavor. Since almost all members are toolboxes(except Unicorn which is the ace of the archetype), this breaks that following and this gives us a Gadget-like effect instead. I feel this redundant by the fact that they are all Pendulum Monsters anyways although this kind of effect is good when you're in a tight position or just have a bad hand. I guess this allows you to summon Unicorn?

I kind of want to vote for Card A but that Reptile-typing kinda sets it off. I'm assuming this is an oversight. Card B is a good card but is overall mediocre compared to what the archetype wants to do. For now, voting for Card C.

Looking at the Majespecter Archetype, reading their effects and seeing what they do, you get the feeling that they are kind of completed. All of them combined use basically every way you can possibly search a card (barring Kirin), so making another small monster would kind of always break flavor or be clunky / complicated as hell in order to make it different. In my opinion, the only way to go in that case is to make a Boss monster like Kirin is, because then there's just a second one but no flavor is broken. Enough of that, let's get to the cards:

Card A, as already mentioned, jumps into the eye from the very beginning by being a reptile instead of a Spellcaster, thus not working with any Spell/Trap card except Sonic, so I'm not really sure if I can overlook such a gigantic oversight. (I can't really...) Other than that, it juse feels like a bad Nekomata to me, as that already searches any Majespecter card you want during the End Phase. I don't see a point in it sending cards to the Graveyard either, as you have no built-in recovery for them. 

Card B feels rather awkward in a Pendulum Deck, as they already can Special Summon themselves from the Hand. I would have appreciated it if you had the choice to summon from the Hand or Extra Deck, thus it would help you if you had no Pendulum Scale available, aside from the fact that all of these effects break flavor anyway. 

I'll have to give my vote to Card B because its effect isn't as redundant to an existing monster as the other one, and because it's actually a Spellcaster. 

The requirement wasn't an easy one, as I said the archetype looks complete, but I'd rather have seen a monster that sets a Majespecter into the scale or another boss like Kirin because that would have fit (I think). 

That's all from me, greetings,

Self-Destruct Button

Technically speaking, they do have Supercell to recover Graveyard resources, but that's usually going for either the support cards that Fox/Crow/Toad search out or if you get Notice/Strike'd on your P-Summon. (To be fair, I've only run maybe 1 copy of said Supercell in recent test runs, so yeah drawing into that will be hard unless you use Fox's search to get it).

0-1-1 card B though.

(Once this ends, I'll give my two cents on the cards themselves.)

Technically speaking, they do have Supercell to recover Graveyard resources, but that's usually going for either the support cards that Fox/Crow/Toad search out or if you get Notice/Strike'd on your P-Summon. (To be fair, I've only run maybe 1 copy of said Supercell in recent test runs, so yeah drawing into that will be hard unless you use Fox's search to get it).

1-0-1 card A though.

If I may say so (in this topic), I'm not sure anyone even runs Supercell. It's less than mediocre, so I didn't really take it into account.

1-0-1 card A though.

I thought Card B got the vote from SDB?

Right off the bat, Card A is a Reptile-Type? That's a big minus points for flavor. That also means its searchable by Feral Imps which is not that hard to summon with the Majespecters. Effectwise, it's basically Tincan for Majespecters and this also gives a fast setup for Norden or targetables for Supercell. I really like this kind of search for the Majespecters.

Card B also has some problems with the flavor. Since almost all members are toolboxes(except Unicorn which is the ace of the archetype), this breaks that following and this gives us a Gadget-like effect instead. I feel this redundant by the fact that they are all Pendulum Monsters anyways although this kind of effect is good when you're in a tight position or just have a bad hand. I guess this allows you to summon Unicorn?

I kind of want to vote for Card A but that Reptile-typing kinda sets it off. I'm assuming this is an oversight. Card B is a good card but is overall mediocre compared to what the archetype wants to do. For now, voting for Card C.

Card B was meant to be used with Unicorn. You can bounce B back with Unicorn's effect on your turn, and on your opponent's turn, have Kirin bounce itself back. B and Unicorn are literally a Compulse mechanic that doesn't require PS. Don't know how you can consider it mediocre because if it's juiced up anymore, it'd be borderline broken.

As it stands right now, score is 0-1-1 card B (A: 0, B: 1, C: 1). Due to the way Leaderboard works, card B's vote gets precedence and thus Yuuji wins the Postseason.

However, like I mentioned the other day, I will be giving my opinions on both cards (or really, what I would've said if I ended up having to tiebreak tonight, which I technically don't).

Card A breaks flavor with being a Reptile; consequently, it locks off access to most of the Majespecter backrow (only Sonics). I will assume that it was a design oversight and Dova simply forgot about it. Effect-wise, I can't find any viable use for this card that isn't already covered by Raccoon/Fox/Crow (I guess you can get a second search off its summon or something, but why?) Like I mentioned earlier about Supercell, they do not have any Graveyard retrieval besides that, so sending stuff to the Graveyard isn't a great idea for them. From my test runs, I still have a single copy in the Deck but rarely do I get the chance to really recycle the Graveyard (and mostly to make sure opponent can't chain something when I play). I cannot say the same for other builds at this time. Even if it were a Spellcaster like the rest, I'd still have problems figuring out a viable use for this card, given their support. I don't know; maybe if it was simply a "choose 3, opponent picks 1 to give you and the rest get shuffled back", it wouldn't be as bad.

Card B is useful if you don't have access to [proper] Pendulum Scales at the time, and need that secondary monster out to trigger stuff. Or heck, you can use it to SS Kirin if you don't have Eccentrick or run the Dragonpit/vein Magician engine for Scales, which is nice. Other than that, I might've liked if it could SS monsters from the Extra; in that regard, it'd be able to bail you out in the event your Scales are blown up. (Wavering is still banned, yes, but there are other forms; you'd have to restrict it to Level 4 and under though if this were the effect), but otherwise it's fine. Ideal use would be to get Kirin out, then you'd have recyclable fodder to bounce stuff with.

---

So yeah, I'd have to vote card B as well, since it actually functions with all of the support cards and helps them with certain small issues. Basically, get their one copy of Kirin out faster [OCG still has triples, but this is TCG] without needing certain techs, or to get another monster out if lack of proper Scales, and trigger their effects too.

Archived