[Written] Dark Magician Support V2 (9 Cards)

leafbladie

So a while back I decided to make Fusion retrains of Dark Magician support here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/356191-written-dark-magician-fusion-support-5-cards/

However, recently it came to my attention that with the addition of 3 other targets for Timaeus, it might be a bit strong, so I decided I'd do a retake of it. Just a quick note, my SoDM retrain can shuffle Eternal Soul into the Deck to prevent the destruction of your field if it would be destroyed, as effects can't activate in the deck unless it's specified that they activate by returning to the deck. Anyway, here they are.

Sorceror of Dark Illusions

Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 9/ATK 3200/DEF 2800 (Fusion)

2 "Dark Magician" monsters

Must be either Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by sending the above monsters you control to the Graveyard (in which case you do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Unaffected by Trap effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 face-up card; negate its effects until the end of this turn, and if it was a Trap Card, shuffle it into the Deck. You can only control 1 "Sorceror of Dark Illusions".

Chronology Sorceror

Spellcaster-Type/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 500/DEF 400 (Tuner)

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Normal Monster in your Graveyard and then toss a coin and call it. If you call it right, Special Summon it, then you can destroy 1 monster on the field. If you call it wrong, shuffle it into the Deck. If this card is used for the Synchro Summon of a Spellcaster or Dragon-Type monster, halve the ATK of all monsters your opponent controls.

Ebon Sage

Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 9/ATK 2800/DEF 3200 (Synchro)

1 Tuner + 1 "Dark Magician"

When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can choose 1 Spell Card from your Deck and place it on top of your Deck. You can only activate this effect of "Ebon Sage" once per turn. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can activate a Quick-Play Spell Card or a Trap Card from your hand.

Illusion Knight

Warrior-Type/LIGHT/Level 8/ATK 2800/DEF 2000

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect, and cannot be Special Summon by other ways. When you would take damage from a battle involving a "Dark Magician" you control: You can reveal this card from your hand; make the damage from that battle 0, then Special Summon this card. During damage calculation only, this card gains ATK equal to the current ATK of the opponent's monster it is battling. If this card battles, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step.

Dark Magician Knight, the Dragon Destroyer

Warrior-Type/DARK/Level 7/ATK 2500/DEF 2100 (Fusion)

This card's name becomes "Dark Magician" while it is on the field. Must be Special Summoned with "Knight's Legacy" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card is Special Summoned: You can destroy 1 other card on the field, and if it was a monster, then this card gains ATK equal to half of the original ATK of the destroyed monster. Unaffected by Dragon-Type monsters' effects. This card can attack all Dragon-Type monsters your opponent controls, once each.

Dark Magician of Advanced Chaos (suggestions for better names would be appreciated)

Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 8/ATK 2800/DEF 2600 (Ritual)

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Dark Magic Ritual". If this card is Ritual Summoned using at least 1 "Dark Magician" monster as tribute: You can target 1 Spell Card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Dark Magician of Advanced Chaos" once per turn. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, after damage calculation: Banish that opponent's monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; lower the ATK of that monster by 500 x the number of Spellcaster-Type monsters in your Graveyard.

Knight's Legacy

Quick-Play Spell Card

Tribute 1 non-Gemini, Normal Monster; Special Summon 1 "Knight" Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, with the same Attribute, Level, and ATK/DEF. If you control a Warrior-Type monster: Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's activation. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to you hand. You can only use this effect of "Knight's Legacy" once per turn.

Dark Magic Ritual (same here)

Ritual Spell

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Dark Magician of Advanced Chaos". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Level equals 8 or more. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 Spell/Trap Card to your hand, that specifically lists the card "Dark Magician" in its text, or place one monster on the top of your Deck that specifically lists the card "Dark Magician" in its text.

Dark Magic Stage

Field Spell

Each time a Spell/Trap Card or effect is activated, except "Dark Magic Stage", place 1 Spell Counter on this card immediately after it resolves (max. 5). Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can remove 3 Spell Counters from this card; add 1 Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand, that specifically lists the card "Dark Magician" and/or "Dark Magician Girl" in its text. While this card has 2 or more Spell Counters, you can activate a Quick-Play Spell or a Trap Card from your hand during your opponent's turn by removing 2 Spell Counters from this card. If this card in the Field Zone is destroyed by a card effect: You can target up to 3 (min. 1) cards from your Graveyard that specifically list "Dark Magician" and/or "Dark Magician Girl" in its text; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, the first cards works even with Dark Magician Girl, Chaos, and Knight! The Trap protection makes a plain beater much nicer, but the last effect is...iffy. If you negate the effects of a face-up card, and then move it off the field before the chain resolves down to that effect (if it was activated), then I don't believe the effect negation goes through. Like, if I activate Deneb while Skill Drain is face-up on the field, then chain Enemy Controller. I believe Deneb will still resolve, but I could be wrong, In any case, it should target.

I don't know how to correctly phrase coin effects, but effects put into many different sentences annoy me. It's effect is good, but....it's too slow, in my opinion, and you don't really have other methods of getting it out. The last effect is kind of okay, but activating would be best in that situation to lower it a little. Okay card, considering the below.

Ebon is a big no. Please no. That unlimited searching is the equivalent to destiny drawing., and yes, I know it requires exactly 2 mats and one of them has to be DM, but with the above tuner made...it can be rather potent, with how easily you can summon DM. Please nerf that to Circle's restriction.

Illusion has a powerful effect, beating over anything and your opponent can't do anything about it. I guess, all in all, despite that, it is still somewhat weak, as even if you get it out, your open can easily castel, and there's no other way you're bringing it out. Seems like a lot of effort for it. Perhaps nerf the summoning conditions to "when you take battle damage" but change the Armades effect to only work if you control a dark magician or something.

Destroyer is...meh. Maybe combined with DNA Surgery or whatever it's called, it might do something, but considering how slow that is, and the fact that Dragons only form a part of today's meta, means it's not that good. Maybe a side, against BE, but for the most part you wouldn't be summoning it. Maybe main at 1, actually, for the ATK gain and pop, but only maybe. Targeting destruction is really weak (compared to other things).

How about Dark Magician of Anarchy? I guess you still might want to go with the Chaos theme, so how about Dark Magician of the Light and Shadow? nvm that's cheesy moving onto to the actual card. Look, Spell searching makes sense with the theme of the card, but...this card would probably still be banned in the OCG, considering its actual capabilities. I mean, running this card and its ritual in any deck, along with preprep, might hurt consistency a little, but in the actual spellcaster and even ritual deck it wouldn't be that big of a problem for the payoff. Perhaps just go with add at the end phase, as ritual summoning this shouldn't be hard, especially as the ritual only requires at or more. The banishing effect is fine, but the last effect should probably target all things considered.

Why is Legacy so tight? As far as I can see it can only Summon the 1 Fusion you've just made, and I personally hate spells in an archetype that seem generic but actually can only do one thing. There is so much potential with this considering the amount of Knight Fusions (I mean there's Gem-Knight but still).The last effect is fine, and goes for the splashing of warriors in DM, but you have to run this card in the first place....and it's still not that good. Why not a continuous that summon the knight then treats all face-up monsters as Dragon-Types? That would really benefit the archetype.

Magic Ritual's last effect is fine. If you wanna keep Chaos balanced, perhaps require it to tribute exactly? Then again, it can only summon one monster, so nevermind. Not much else to say, really.

SO much potential here, but so many restrictions. You have the warriors, you have the dragon reliance, but the cards seems so over the place. Yes, it creates targets for Timaeus, but there's still so much more this can go to. There's a little too much and too little here and there, but otherwise it works. I must say, the idea is great though.

Actually, funny thing about that, effects can't activate in the deck, unless it specifies they do, so if you negate it while its on the field and shuffle it into the deck, the effect won't activate despite it technically leaving the field. I played against monarchs, and they shuffled my Eternal Soul into my deck, but my field didn't blow up because it's effect couldn't activate in the deck. The only card that has an effect that activates when its put in the deck is Serpentine Princess oddly enough.

Yeah, you're probably right about Sage being too strong, what if I made it so it just adds the card to the top of the Deck, similar to Dark Angel? Then you can't perform anymore searches after using it, or else it'll be shuffled back under.

Yeah, I guess the addition of an unrestricted Armades Effect might've been a bit too much for it. I'll consider changing that.

Destroyer is meant for the Blue-Eyes and general dragon matchup like you said, especially since it slayed that Dragon in the Cyber World arc. However, the destruction actually doesn't target, and it can also be used to pop spells or traps if you're really desperate, so it does have some versatility.

As for my Ritual DMoC. What if I changed his effect so that it only works if you used a Dark Magician monster as tribute for it?

As for Legacy's tightness, I actually had other Dragon Knight cards here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/356337-written-dragon-knights-4-cards/

Actually, funny thing about that, effects can't activate in the deck, unless it specifies they do, so if you negate it while its on the field and shuffle it into the deck, the effect won't activate despite it technically leaving the field. I played against monarchs, and they shuffled my Eternal Soul into my deck, but my field didn't blow up because it's effect couldn't activate in the deck. The only card that has an effect that activates when its put in the deck is Serpentine Princess oddly enough.

Yeah, you're probably right about Sage being too strong, what if I made it so it just adds the card to the top of the Deck, similar to Dark Angel? Then you can't perform anymore searches after using it, or else it'll be shuffled back under.

Yeah, I guess the addition of an unrestricted Armades Effect might've been a bit too much for it. I'll consider changing that.

Destroyer is meant for the Blue-Eyes and general dragon matchup like you said, especially since it slayed that Dragon in the Cyber World arc. However, the destruction actually doesn't target, and it can also be used to pop spells or traps if you're really desperate, so it does have some versatility.

As for my Ritual DMoC. What if I changed his effect so that it only works if you used a Dark Magician monster as tribute for it?

As for Legacy's tightness, I actually had other Dragon Knight cards here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/356337-written-dragon-knights-4-cards/

Yes, but if the trap is already activated, it can still resolve. It may not be able to activate, but resolution doesn't matter where it goes. Eternal Soul, on the other hand, has an activating effect when it leaves the field, as opposed to you responding when the effect actually activates.

That effect works with Sage/

For the ritual DMoC, yes, have the first effect work when that happens.

For Legacy, I get how there were other Dragon Knights, but are they are they still "canon" for want of a better word? Do you intend for them to work with this set? If you do, please post them with it, considering there aren't many.

Yes, but if the trap is already activated, it can still resolve. It may not be able to activate, but resolution doesn't matter where it goes. Eternal Soul, on the other hand, has an activating effect when it leaves the field, as opposed to you responding when the effect actually activates.

That effect works with Sage/

For the ritual DMoC, yes, have the first effect work when that happens.

For Legacy, I get how there were other Dragon Knights, but are they are they still "canon" for want of a better word? Do you intend for them to work with this set? If you do, please post them with it, considering there aren't many.

Oh whoops, sorry, the thing I meant to say is you're supposed to chain Sorceror of Dark Illusion's effect when someone activates MST to destroy your Eternal Soul. You use its effect to shuffle it into the Deck before it's destroyed. The negate part is so that it can be offensively used against your opponent's traps too.

They are intended to be canon, but I didn't think they'd work here since they're not exactly DM support. I just decided to republish the DM version here since I thought that'd be a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived