[Leaderboard] Yuuji vs Dova (Cards are up)

Yuuji Kazami

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Card C votes are allowed in case the voter thinks both cards don't deserve a vote but must elaborate on why he/she thinks so.
  • PM the cards to me, and written is preferred.
  • In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

• The deadline for entries is 48 hours 
  • The contest ends after 3 days of cards being posted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting

Requirements:

Level 5 or higher Gemini monster

Card A:

Draconus, Emperor of the Gemini

FIRE / Level 7

Wyrm / Gemini / Pendulum / Effect

Scale 8

ATK: 2500 DEF: 1700

PE: If you Normal Summoned a Gemini Monster this turn, you can conduct a Normal Summon in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) 

ME: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

During either player's turn: You can tribute 1 or more Gemini Monsters from your hand or field, then target 1 Gemini Monster you control; it gains ATK and DEF equal to half of the total ATK and DEF of the tribute(s), but it cannot attack your opponent directly. These changes last until the end of this turn. During the End Phase, if 2 or more monsters were tributed to activate this card's effect: You can Special Summon 1 of the tributed Gemini Monsters from your Graveyard, and if you do, it becomes an Effect Monster and gains its effects. You can only use each effect of "Draconus, Emperor of the Gemini" once per turn.

Card B:

Lugeia of the Twin Soul

DARK / Level 9

Wyrm/Gemini/Effect

ATK: 2800 DEF:2400
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

-Once per turn: You can banish 1 Normal Monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Gemini Monster from your hand or Graveyard, also it is treated as an Effect Monster, and gains its effects. Gemini Monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's cards or effects. If this face-up card would be destroyed by battle or by a card effect, you can send 1 other face-up Gemini Monster you control to the Graveyard instead.

Geminis are interesting. Funny that no one made a card for Chemical Beasts - But I suppose both of them can be used in these.

So let's start.

Card A is a Pendulum Gemini? That's a new one. Monster Effect seemed bad at first, with ditching cards for ATK and not being able to attack directly, but it all made sense in the end, which I quite liked. It might be a bit slow if you can only summon monsters during the End Phsae with it, so you can't use stuff like Darkstorm Dragon or Blazewing Butterfly with it, but Phoenix Gearfried for example works just fine, if you happen to run an equip (which you will be *hint: Supervise*) even better. (Even though the protection is rather weak, the Special Summon effect is okay-ish) Overall, the card seems weak after all because you have to tribute/discard at least 2 monsters for it to do anything, and you only get 1 monster back, for which you don't even have any good targets, only the mediocre Phoenix Gearfried. The Pendulum Effect helps, but doesn't help it from being a mediocre card at best. 

Card B is not a Pendulum! But (surprisingly...) also a Gemini, whose effect lets you Special Summon a Gemini from the Hand or Graveyard at almost no cost that even gets its effect, stacks extremely strong (maybe too strong) protection atop of it and can protect itself. The latter of which, I think is a bit too much if it already protects Gemini - I would have took a moment to clap if it said "OTHER" Geminis can't be targeted (balance and stuff), but with how far powercreep has gone nowadays, I can't even complain about that, at least not to the creator of the card. It's far less Gimmicky than Card A, but also far less creative. But it works, and it works damn well.

Got to give my vote to Card B because A is too weak, despite wanting to do otherwise.

Geminis are interesting. Funny that no one made a card for Chemical Beasts - But I suppose both of them can be used in these.

So let's start.

Card A is a Pendulum Gemini? That's a new one. Monster Effect seemed bad at first, with ditching cards for ATK and not being able to attack directly, but it all made sense in the end, which I quite liked. It might be a bit slow if you can only summon monsters during the End Phsae with it, so you can't use stuff like Darkstorm Dragon or Blazewing Butterfly with it, but Phoenix Gearfried for example works just fine, if you happen to run an equip (which you will be *hint: Supervise*) even better. (Even though the protection is rather weak, the Special Summon effect is okay-ish) Overall, the card seems weak after all because you have to tribute/discard at least 2 monsters for it to do anything, and you only get 1 monster back, for which you don't even have any good targets, only the mediocre Phoenix Gearfried. The Pendulum Effect helps, but doesn't help it from being a mediocre card at best. 

Card B is not a Pendulum! But (surprisingly...) also a Gemini, whose effect lets you Special Summon a Gemini from the Hand or Graveyard at almost no cost that even gets its effect, stacks extremely strong (maybe too strong) protection atop of it and can protect itself. The latter of which, I think is a bit too much if it already protects Gemini - I would have took a moment to clap if it said "OTHER" Geminis can't be targeted (balance and stuff), but with how far powercreep has gone nowadays, I can't even complain about that, at least not to the creator of the card. It's far less Gimmicky than Card A, but also far less creative. But it works, and it works damn well.

Got to give my vote to Card B because A is too weak, despite wanting to do otherwise.

Can you elaborate on why A is too weak? First effect is optional since you only need to sack 1 monster from your hand or field for it to boost. If you ditched 2 or more, then it would trigger the secondary effect. 

Not only that, the effect can also be used on itself. It's meant to be a card to run over heavy hitters with the boost, since a lot of Gemini lack the stats to beat over something like Dark Destroyer. 

There's also the option of speeding up Gemini summons without having to wait a turn for them to receive their effects with the PE, which is another part I'm confused about when you said that the card was mediocre.

Not only that, using A's second monster effect during the EP of your opponent's turn would allow you to use a monster with its Gemini effect active once your turn begins. 

Can you elaborate on why A is too weak? First effect is optional since you only need to sack 1 monster from your hand or field for it to boost. If you ditched 2 or more, then it would trigger the secondary effect. 

Not only that, the effect can also be used on itself. It's meant to be a card to run over heavy hitters with the boost, since a lot of Gemini lack the stats to beat over something like Dark Destroyer. 

There's also the option of speeding up Gemini summons without having to wait a turn for them to receive their effects with the PE. Not only that, there's an underlying synergy with it and Darkstorm Dragon, if you haven't noticed.

Not only that, using A's second monster effect during the EP of your opponent's turn would allow you to use a monster with its Gemini effect active once your turn begins. 

I think the problem that Gemini have is that they are an inconsistent mess that doesn't work most of the time, and even if they do, not getting over Dark Destroyer is the least of their problems. No one would want to play them against Kozmo either, at least I wouldn't want to. I think it is too weak because you have to tribute/discard 2 cards for its last effect to activate, and only using it for 1 doesn't make that much sense except for the rare occasion where you actually have to punch over something. Which isn't exactly that common anymore nowadays. So the main reason you will use it is the advantage it brings via the Summon with Effect, but as the cost is so heavy... you see where this is going - Just having it activate when discarding 1 aswell would have made it acceptable in terms of power imo.

The Darkstorm Dragon thing is kind of irrelevant, as you have to have this and Darkstorm Dragon, a way to summon the Level 8 and then hope and pray your opponent doesn't have Solemn Strike to ruin your day.

The last effect is a little unclear: The wording suggests that it is a separate effect as the first - which it shouldn't be, it should be a condition that applies if you use the first effect, or a part of the first effect. The issue with that is that it makes a real mess of rulings - it's hard to tell if the effect resolves if you use the first one with 2 monsters and the monster is removed from the field in some way before the End Phase hits. If it was a condition or a part of the first effect, it would always activate if you used the first effect, which is what I think should be the case. That was also a gripe I had with the card, but I didn't want to write that because the vote would have gotten too compliated. :v 

Contest deadline passed about two days ago, so unless either Dova or Yuuji have any final remarks, B wins 1-0. 

One of you, make sure that the result is noted and any voter reps have been awarded. 

(I'll be locking the other contests that've passed their deadline; you guys should be keeping tabs on them as well)

Archived