Mudtant Archetype (11/11)

Atypical-Abbie

Mudtant is an Archetype of Level 6, and 1 Level 4, Aqua-Type EARTH monsters with 0 DEF. They focus on shuffling cards from your hand into the Deck and Xyz Summoning. Each Level 6 monster has an effect that shuffles a card from your hand into your Deck to Special Summon them and one effect that activates if card in your hand is shuffled into the Deck. The Level 4 can Special Summon other Mudtants from your hand make itself Level 6 to then Xyz Summon with and has an effect that can add it from your Graveyard to your hand. The name is a portmanteau of Mud and Mutant and they are based on creatures from fantasy and mythology.

Main Deck Monsters:

Mudtant Goblin

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mudtant" monster from your hand, and if you do, this card's Level becomes 6. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 EARTH Xyz Monster, using only this card and that monster you control. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Goblin" once per turn.

1900/0

Mudtant Golem

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 6

You can shuffle 1 other card from your hand into your Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. If a card(s) in your hand is shuffled into your Deck: You can target 1 "Mudtant" monster in your Graveyard, except "Mudtant Golem"; Special Summon that target, but its effects are negated. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Golem" once per turn.

2000/0

Mudtant Troll  

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 6

You can shuffle 1 other card from your hand into your Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. If a card(s) in your hand is shuffled into your Deck: You can add 1 "Mudtant" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Mudtant Troll", then shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Troll" once per turn.

2100/0

Mudtant Ghoul

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 6

You can shuffle 1 other card from your hand into your Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. If a card(s) in your hand is shuffled into your Deck: You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard in Defense Position, but it is shuffled into the Deck when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Ghoul" once per turn.

2200/0

Mudtant Minotaur

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 6

You can shuffle 1 other card from your hand into your Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. If a card(s) in your hand is shuffled into your Deck: You can draw 2 cards, then shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Minotaur" once per turn.

2300/0

Mudtant Ogre

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Level 6

You can shuffle 1 other card from your hand into your Deck; Special Summon this card from your hand. If a card(s) in your hand is shuffled into your Deck: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Ogre" once per turn.

2400/0

Extra Deck Monsters:

Mudtant Cyclops

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Rank 6

2 Level 6 EARTH monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; both players shuffle 1 card from their hand into their Deck. While this card has Xyz Material, it cannot be targeted by or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

2500/0

Mudtant Hydra

Aqua-Type/EARTH

Rank 6

3 Level 6 EARTH monsters

IF you have no cards in your hand, you can also Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 6 EARTH Xyz Monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon. When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target "Mudtant" cards in your Graveyard with different names equal to the number of Xyz Materials attached to this card; shuffle them into the Deck, and if you do, draw cards equal to the number of cards shuffled into the Deck. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle that target into the Deck. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Hydra" once per turn.

2600/0

Spell/Trap Cards:

Mudtant Swamplands

Field Spell Card

Each time a card(s) is shuffled into the Deck, except by this card's effect, place 1 Mudtant Counter on this card for each of those cards. All "Mudtant" monsters on the field gain 100 ATK for each Mudtant Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 3 Mudtant Counters from this card; each player with a hand shuffles their entire hand into the Deck, then each player draws the same number of cards they shuffled into the Deck +2. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Mudtant Counter from this card instead.

Mudtant Advancement

Continuous Spell Card

When this card is activated, if there are no cards in your hand: You can Special Summon 1 "Mudtant" monster from your Deck in Defense Position. Once per turn: You can target 1 EARTH monster with 0 DEF in your Graveyard; banish that target. During your next Standby Phase after this effect's activation, if this card is still face-up: Add that target to your hand.

Mudtant Deformation

Counter Trap Card

When your opponent activates a card or effect while you control a "Mudtant" monster: Shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck; negate the activation, and if you do, shuffle that card into the Deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the moment I saw that pretty much every card Shuffles something from the Hand into the Deck, I had to dig into this Archetype!

[spoiler=-Cards Review-]

[spoiler=-Basic Monsters-]

-Mudtant Goblin-

This is the one of the only two cards that I had any sort of problem with. Let's look at that effect.
[spoiler=-Effect-]

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mudtant" monster from your hand, and if you do, this card's Level becomes 6. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 EARTH Xyz Monster, using only this card and that monster you control. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Goblin" once per turn.

What happens if you can't resolve the highlighted effect? For example: Assume you have no XYZ monsters in your Extra Deck. This effect is forcing you to do this, but you can't in this situation. Perhaps adding a little to the effect might clear this up.
[spoiler=-Effect Suggestion-]
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mudtant" monster from your hand, and if you do, this card's Level becomes 6. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 EARTH Xyz Monster, using only this card and that monster you control, if possible. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Goblin" once per turn.

While I'm no expert on the proper wording of this, I believe this would prevent mid-game arguments.

On to what I think of the card! It's great for being used as an XYZ material, not only in the summon, but being spent as material for an effect, as it's being sent to the graveyard. What a great card for pulling out an XYZ just about every turn without being abusive.

-Mudtant Golem-

His two goals in life are to scare off >2000 ATK monsters, and prime XYZ monsters. Great for pulling from the graveyard, and great for combos with the gimmick effects of every other monster in this Archetype. Simple, powerful, and fair.

-Mudtant Troll-

Much like Golem, he has two goals in life. Scaring off weak Attackers, but how Golem pulls from the graveyard, Troll pulls from the Deck. It's a one-for-one trade on a card you want, for one you don't. A great way to ensure the Deck is capable of responding according to the situation at hand.

-Mudtant Ghoul-

He comes back from the grave any time you shuffle into the Deck, no problem for this Deck! He seems great for priming XYZ summons, or being a scary mid-level beat stick, but one problem. How does his effect of being shuffled into the Deck upon leaving the field affect that potential XYZ summon? I'm actually not sure about that. Do you know what happens?

-Mudtant Minotaur-

This card is the much needed Draw power of this Archetype. He pretty much guarantees you get at least 1 new card in your hand every turn with his Trigger effect, which is essential in this Deck, as it will consume cards like a 16-cylinder, quad-turbocharged engine that slurps fuel from the tank like a juice-box. 

-Mudtant Ogre-

He essentially rides on the back of any effect that shuffles a card from the hand into the Deck, instead of relying purely on his own. This is great since he can be summoned with the going rate of two for the price of one. A strong monster on his own, and even better for priming XYZ summons real cheap.

[spoiler=-XYZ-]

-Mudtant Cyclops-

I just want to say, I love this card. Causing both players to shuffle a card into the Deck is incredibly disgusting, and a great usage of the theme of this Archetype. Additionally, his protection from effects is great coverage.

-Mudtant Hyrda-

This card's ability to cover an empty hand is lovely, especially since he stacks on top of Cyclops very well. That requirement of an empty hand as a limitation shows that you understand how to balance this card to reward combos, and usage of the Archetype's gimmick. He provides great draw power as well, refueling your hand with ease upon being summoned. His most interesting ability is targeting a card that the opponent controls, and shuffling it into the Deck, a great full circle coverage of shuffling the opponent's card, while skating around counter destruction effects.

[spoiler=-Spells-]

-Mudtant Swamplands-

The field spell of the Archetype. It amplifies the Archetype's powerful sluggers with the rare ability to mess with both players' hands by stacking counters. This is way more fun than field control! I love the riskiness of its -3 counter ability, both players end up with a new hand, and two additional cards, the funnest type of messing with the hand. My only power adjustment would be to alter its ability to avoid destruction. I usually use a rule of thumb of requiring 2 counters to do something like this. The idea is that the player has to make two moves to prevent one with passive effects. Other than that, excellent support card.

-Mudtant Advancement-

Great for giving you breathing room, especially assuming you activated with 0 cards in your hand. It adds a nice level of risk, since you have little in the way of recovering banished monsters without external support. Great for priming those XYZ summons!

[spoiler=-Traps-]

-Mudtant Deformation-

Disgusting, but fair. Essentially a Dark Bribe, but capable of triggering effects from this Archetype. Well thought out usage of costs.

Overall, I think this Deck is incredibly interesting, and I'd love to duel against it. If you provided the cards' images, I'd definitely print it out, and begin play testing it! I also recommend adding more support cards (especially XYZ), and making a suggested Deck Build, to get an idea of how the full Deck would run.

Okay, the moment I saw that pretty much every card Shuffles something from the Hand into the Deck, I had to dig into this Archetype!

[spoiler=-Cards Review-]

[spoiler=-Basic Monsters-]

-Mudtant Goblin-

This is the one of the only two cards that I had any sort of problem with. Let's look at that effect.
[spoiler=-Effect-]

What happens if you can't resolve the highlighted effect? For example: Assume you have no XYZ monsters in your Extra Deck. This effect is forcing you to do this, but you can't in this situation. Perhaps adding a little to the effect might clear this up.
[spoiler=-Effect Suggestion-]
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mudtant" monster from your hand, and if you do, this card's Level becomes 6. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 EARTH Xyz Monster, using only this card and that monster you control, if possible. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Mudtant Goblin" once per turn.

While I'm no expert on the proper wording of this, I believe this would prevent mid-game arguments.

On to what I think of the card! It's great for being used as an XYZ material, not only in the summon, but being spent as material for an effect, as it's being sent to the graveyard. What a great card for pulling out an XYZ just about every turn without being abusive.

-Mudtant Golem-

His two goals in life are to scare off >2000 ATK monsters, and prime XYZ monsters. Great for pulling from the graveyard, and great for combos with the gimmick effects of every other monster in this Archetype. Simple, powerful, and fair.

-Mudtant Troll-

Much like Golem, he has two goals in life. Scaring off weak Attackers, but how Golem pulls from the graveyard, Troll pulls from the Deck. It's a one-for-one trade on a card you want, for one you don't. A great way to ensure the Deck is capable of responding according to the situation at hand.

-Mudtant Ghoul-

He comes back from the grave any time you shuffle into the Deck, no problem for this Deck! He seems great for priming XYZ summons, or being a scary mid-level beat stick, but one problem. How does his effect of being shuffled into the Deck upon leaving the field affect that potential XYZ summon? I'm actually not sure about that. Do you know what happens?

-Mudtant Minotaur-

This card is the much needed Draw power of this Archetype. He pretty much guarantees you get at least 1 new card in your hand every turn with his Trigger effect, which is essential in this Deck, as it will consume cards like a 16-cylinder, quad-turbocharged engine that slurps fuel from the tank like a juice-box. 

-Mudtant Ogre-

He essentially rides on the back of any effect that shuffles a card from the hand into the Deck, instead of relying purely on his own. This is great since he can be summoned with the going rate of two for the price of one. A strong monster on his own, and even better for priming XYZ summons real cheap.

[spoiler=-XYZ-]

-Mudtant Cyclops-

I just want to say, I love this card. Causing both players to shuffle a card into the Deck is incredibly disgusting, and a great usage of the theme of this Archetype. Additionally, his protection from effects is great coverage.

-Mudtant Hyrda-

This card's ability to cover an empty hand is lovely, especially since he stacks on top of Cyclops very well. That requirement of an empty hand as a limitation shows that you understand how to balance this card to reward combos, and usage of the Archetype's gimmick. He provides great draw power as well, refueling your hand with ease upon being summoned. His most interesting ability is targeting a card that the opponent controls, and shuffling it into the Deck, a great full circle coverage of shuffling the opponent's card, while skating around counter destruction effects.

[spoiler=-Spells-]

-Mudtant Swamplands-

The field spell of the Archetype. It amplifies the Archetype's powerful sluggers with the rare ability to mess with both players' hands by stacking counters. This is way more fun than field control! I love the riskiness of its -3 counter ability, both players end up with a new hand, and two additional cards, the funnest type of messing with the hand. My only power adjustment would be to alter its ability to avoid destruction. I usually use a rule of thumb of requiring 2 counters to do something like this. The idea is that the player has to make two moves to prevent one with passive effects. Other than that, excellent support card.

-Mudtant Advancement-

Great for giving you breathing room, especially assuming you activated with 0 cards in your hand. It adds a nice level of risk, since you have little in the way of recovering banished monsters without external support. Great for priming those XYZ summons!

[spoiler=-Traps-]

-Mudtant Deformation-

Disgusting, but fair. Essentially a Dark Bribe, but capable of triggering effects from this Archetype. Well thought out usage of costs.

Overall, I think this Deck is incredibly interesting, and I'd love to duel against it. If you provided the cards' images, I'd definitely print it out, and begin play testing it! I also recommend adding more support cards (especially XYZ), and making a suggested Deck Build, to get an idea of how the full Deck would run.

Goblin's effect is quite normal, see cards such as Galaxy Tyranno and Artifact Unleashed.

Archived