REPOST: Evilswarm Exciton Dragoon (A.K.A. Utopia Beyond with Eyes of Blue)

Black D'Sceptyr

evilswarm_exciton_dragoon_by_bdsceptyr-d

[spoiler=Evilswarm Exciton Dragoon: Errata]

LIGHT/Dragon-Type Xyz Effect Monster/Rank 5/3000 ATK/2500 DEF

Lore: 2 Level 5 "lswarm" monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by detaching 1 Xyz Material from a Rank 4 DARK "lswarm" Xyz Monster you control, then using that card as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn, during either player's turn, if the total ATK of all monsters on the field, except "Evilswarm Exciton Dragoon", equals 3000 or more: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: make the ATK of all face-up monsters currently on the field 0, except for "lswarm" monsters (permanently), also banish those monsters if they would be sent to the Graveyard this turn. Your opponent cannot activate the effects of cards in their hand while this card has Xyz Materials.

Okay, so. 

EVERYONE. Should see my post on this if you want the long and short of why I despise Evilswarm Exciton Knight. (granted, it's also the reason I didn't like Card of Demise. (hint: I'm RR3DSceptyr.)

(also yay, I figured out how link anchors work!)

Short version is, for the same reason CoD is badly designed, because. They. Reward. BAD PLAY. Dropping everything you'll eventually revive-or trigger graveyard abusal-to +3 into a bevy of traps only serves to make the mediocre decks they "support" annoying AND mediocre and the good Decks head-bangingly banal.

In the same vein, holding everything in hand for your generic R4NK field nuke to do its near-uncounterable dirty work isn't anything but the runner-up for the definition of a dick move. RUNNER UP, FOLKS, I still remember what happened the second Yu-Jo Friendship got oxygen. Ya sick freaks.

So, to compensate, one of my first cards on this forum was a card made to fill the void of Exciton Knight, while still supporting the Evilswarm. Which, IMO, are good enough to keep any pure Lev5 or higher Decks off-market forever-wonderful in some cases (YEEEAAAA KAIJUS), not so much in others (BOOOOO U.A,s). It was meant to work in the same vein as Vatlamyus did, mimicking Tolemaeus's, field changing effect without being so generic it became busted.

Taking another look at this card, though, from fresh eyes (White Dragon) (really, what is with these bad puns of mine) made me want to retch, since you could easily trigger that first effect off. So at great cost to myself, and this card's prettiness (seriously, my cards goin' beyond 6 lines of text is SUCH. A pet peeve to me) I present to you, the new and improved...

Oh wait, I already have. Well then. May the reviews and revelry arrive in abundance.

BDS, signing off.

• 4 weeks later...

Hnn... there are a lot aesthetic and thematic things I do NOT like about this card. I mean, yeah: Exciton usually brings to light the one LIGHT Evilswarm monster, but there was a dang good reason for him being so, from a Lore perspective. Without knowing this Dragoon's Lore, I can't accept it being LIGHT. Though, that's just me being *TRIGGERED* by Duel Terminal inconsistency with the card.

My other peeve with it (before I get into its other junk) is that you put a capital "I" for "lswarm". There's no such thing as a monster being "Iswarm", with a capital "i". It's "Lswarm", as in Steelswarm, and Evilswarm, so you can use the old jazz with the new jazz.

Peeves aside, let's actually get into this card.

- - - - -

This thing requiring 3 mats because it has 3050 ATK makes no real sense. I could deal with it having something like 2950 or 2850, to stick to the "50" theme, but it having 3000 + ATK and having an effect that permanently neuters your opponent's monsters, assuming they can't negate this thing's effects really irks me. I seriously want you to consider dropping the ATK by 100 or 200 points, which would still put it above Ouroboros, stat-wise. I'd be peeved that this thing's a Dragon, but I suppose it IS supposed to be Blue-Eyes. (And yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that each of the Xyz Corruptions of the Ice Barrier Dragons has at least 50 more ATK than its Synchro compatriot, but with such an easy summoning condition on this guy, I'm serious about you dropping the ATK. Balance > Lore.)

That aside, it's a seriously awesome card, and I could really see this guy seeing at least a little play, maybe as a 1 of. Though, I think it'd be a card better suited to being Rank 5, so you could use that Phantom Knight's spell to Rank it up. Plus, then its stats (in my eyes) would be more than justified, combined with its ATK stat. Otherwise, if you're dead-set on keeping it Rank 4, my suggestion is to NOT make that effect be able to proc during your opponent's turn the turn after you summon it. That's a very obvious, very cheeky out to a supposed "check" on this card's power.

As far as boss cards go, though, this thing's pretty well designed. 7.5/10, only because of the inherent cheekiness, and almost OPness of the card, along with thematic peeves of mine.

Hnn... there are a lot aesthetic and thematic things I do NOT like about this card. I mean, yeah: Exciton usually brings to light the one LIGHT Evilswarm monster, but there was a dang good reason for him being so, from a Lore perspective. Without knowing this Dragoon's Lore, I can't accept it being LIGHT. Though, that's just me being *TRIGGERED* by Duel Terminal inconsistency with the card.

My other peeve with it (before I get into its other junk) is that you put a capital "I" for "lswarm". There's no such thing as a monster being "Iswarm", with a capital "i". It's "Lswarm", as in Steelswarm, and Evilswarm, so you can use the old jazz with the new jazz.

OH MY-

You know, on this great but slightly buggered card maker I use-not the on-site one, I have a custom one-I did not see that mistake. I mean, it was a clear typo. Fixed it yesterday, thanks for looking out.

Also, this was from the days I wanted to make TCG exclusive cards to the archetype to make up for ones that got banished-again, like Vatlamyus coming into to fill Tolemaeus' void. My apologies for not mentioning the reasoning behind this earlier.

Also, it is now Rank 5, a slight bit easier to summon the normal way (Lev-5 lswarm monsters need some love, after all) and the ATK and DEF are perfectly aligned with its counterpart, also like Exciton Knight was to its predecessor Steelswarm Roach. And I took out some of the cheekiness of its effects. Thanks for your counsel.

Seems like an interesting floodgate sort of card like "Ophion" (without being as annoying as "Ophion"), by restricting "Effect Veilers" "Maxx C" or other such hand traps. I'm honestly fine with it, though requiring all monsters on the field to be 3k or higher is a non-requirement if I ever saw one, as that condition will most likely be easily reached in most scenarios, especially if you count your own monsters. Also, kind of wish it banished all cards that would leave the field, so it can deal with cards that return themselves to the hand, like "Yosenju" or "Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin", but that might be a bit too powerful I guess.

Archived