Sceptyr's Support: SPYRAL Supremacy (12/12)

Black D'Sceptyr

[spoiler=Mission Statement time.]

As we've seen, the SPYRAL collection has come out in its entirety, and is actually rather good. Much liek Kozmos before it tho, its most a supplement until its uniting principles are more tightly supported, of which I have no doubt will happen (and a pox on those who say an Archetype with a card that boosts for 500 x your opponent's field during either turn without OPT is somehow 'not able to get past big fields.' Pox on you.) 

So, to assist the SPYRALs, I made several cards-spread throughout Casual and Advanced-to try and forward this Archetype into the powerhouse it can be. But thanks to a general misreading of the SPYRAL extension set-and the YCM Problem That Shall Not Be Named-the support was heavily insufficient, quickly outdated, and sporadic.

So I took them all, retooled them, keyed them into a larger mini-Archetype within an Archetype, and put them all here for your perusal and review. 

Let's begin the statement then, starting with the story of the cat-burglar-slash-double agent of SPYRAL, the Scarlet Sneak.

spyral_scarlet_sneak_by_bdsceptyr-dajxx0

[spoiler=SPYRAL Scarlet Sneak: Errata]

FIRE/Pyro-Type Flip Effect Monster/Level 2/200 ATK/1800 DEF

Lore: FLIP: Activate 1 Equip Spell Card that would be activated by targeting a monster(s) that is either banished or in the Graveyard directly from your Deck.
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap); reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, you can add 1 "SPYRAL Super Agent" from your Deck to your hand if it is a card of that type, and if you do that, change this card to face-down Defense Position.

The short version of her story anyways. Long version involves a host of broken hearts, failed chances at legitness, a certain eye for thievery, and a stroke of luck to happen upon a merciful Master Plan when an attempt to nick her wallet went awry.

Now, I think you know of the Rogue Rebel, do you not?

If not, scroll and don't stop.

anti_spyral_rogue_rival_by_bdsceptyr-dai

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL Rogue Rival]

WIND/Psychic-Type Effect Monster/Level 5/1500 ATK/1950 DEF

Lore: During either player's Battle Phase, if this card is in your hand: You can return 1 "SPYRAL GEAR" card on the field to the hand: Special Summon this card. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap): excavate the top card of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, negate the effects of 1 face-up card on the field if it is a card of that type. If "SPYRAL Super Agent" is on the field: You can pay 1000 LP and shuffle this card into the Deck; Set 1 Normal Trap Card directly from your Deck.

Tl:dr version of Rogue Rival's tale: SPYRAL Super Agent's brother kinda had a falling out with him. So severe that he hopped in the pocket of the Anti-SPYRAL-an organization that saw the power SPYRAL wielded as a threat to the stability of the world, and so set out to crush it. With their own brand of technology. And no, this is not in any way in reference to any anime whatsoever and anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

Okay, now that that little recap is done, let's turn to a more serious tack-namely, the rest of the Anti-SPYRAL alliance. 

First is their premier member, the traitorous, devious, all-around mischievous, Turn Coat Tommy!

turn_coat_tommy_by_bdsceptyr-dak3tha.png

[spoiler=Turn Coat Tommy: Errata]

DARK/Machine-Type Effect Monster/Level 3/1300 ATK/0 DEF

Lore: (This card is also always treated as a "SPYRAL GEAR" card.)
When this card is Special Summoned by a Spell/Trap effect: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "SPYRAL" monster from your Deck, but it cannot be used as a Material while it is face-up on the field. At the end of the Damage Step, if this card battled a monster, except "SPYRAL Super Agent": You can send both battling monsters to the Graveyard (without damage calculation). When a "SPYRAL GEAR" card's effect is activated, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.

Once the mechanic of SPYRAL, Quik Fix's rapid passing through the ranks set him off, and after a botched assignment nearly got the Super Agent in serious trouble, he took most of Quik Fix's more exotic gadgets and switched to the Anti-SPYRAL alliance. With the tech of SPYRAL running along his body, and venomous blood running through his veins, it's often questionable where the malevolent machine ends and the bitter backstabber begins.

To find out who his new running mate is, simply look up. (Not on this page, mind you. You look down.)

anti_spyral_mission_ender_by_bdsceptyr-d

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL MISSION Ender: Errata]

FIRE/Machine-Type Effect Monster/Level 5/1000 ATK/2500 DEF

Lore: You can return 1 banished "SPYRAL MISSION" card to your Graveyard; Special Summon this card (from your hand), and if you do, switch the ATK and DEF of 1 face-up monster on the field. Once per turn, when a card(s) on the field is destroyed: You can activate an appropriate effect. • During your turn: Look at the top card of your opponent's Deck, place it back on top of the Deck, then inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. • During your opponent's turn: Banish 1 Set card on the field (if any).

Its not easy being sleazy, especially in the arms dealing business-one being cut into by the intrepid entries of SPYRAL. One such man decided to make being sleazy easy again, saddled with the best tech of his ravaged PMC, to do to SPYRAL's missions what they had done to his livelihood. As a bodyguard of the Anti-SPYRALs, the newfound purpose of the "MISSION Ender" is simply that: to protect the Anti-SPYRALs and serve their estranged tormentors in SPYRAL a heavy dose of lead, pain and inevitable termination. In short, his dream is SPYRAL's nightmare. 

To get an idea of just what the Anti-SPYRALs do...well, why bother telling, when one can show:

anti_spyral_mission___bankruption_by_bds

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL MISSION - Bankruption: Errata]

Continuous Trap Card

Lore: Destroy this card during your 3rd End Phase after activation. When this card is activated: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap): reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "SPYRAL GEAR" monster from your Deck if it is a card of that type, otherwise send 1 "SPYRAL GEAR" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, if a "SPYRAL" card(s) in your possession is banished: You can add 1 of those banished cards to the hand, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

Because, with respect to our faraway friends in DS9, an Anti-SPYRAL without profit is no Anti-SPYRAL at all. In addition to forwarding the end of SPYRAL, the A.S.A. wishes to do it in style - and will polish the knives of their dastardly deeds on any bank, computer system, or vehicle unlucky enough to be in their way or catch their eye. Who's gonna stop 'em? SPYRAL? The group that didn't exist? And soon, never would? 

And on that subject of Anti-SPYRAL weaponry...

anti_spyral_gear___corruption_clip_by_bd

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL GEAR - Corruption Clip: Errata]

Normal Trap Card

Lore: If a card(s) on the field is banished, destroy this card. Once per turn, when the effect of a "SPYRAL" monster you control is activated: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap): reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, you can activate 1 of these effects if it is a card of that type.
• Switch control of 1 "Anti-SPYRAL" monster you control and 1 face-up monster your opponent controls until the end of the turn, also banish those monsters if they leave the field this turn.
• Set 1 Normal Spell/Trap Card from your opponent's Graveyard to your field, but banish it when it leaves the field.

For when plugging in and playing stops being for console games and starts being for the brains of entire secret organizations. You know, the natural escalation of life.

Continuing on...here's a familiar tale to any who've known love...

anti_spyral_counter_suit_by_bdsceptyr-da

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL Counter Suit: Errata]

FIRE/Psychic-Type Effect Monster/Level 2/1400 ATK/700 DEF

Lore: All face-up Effect Monsters your opponent controls lose 700 ATK. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap); reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, apply 1 of these effects if it is a card of that type.
• Special Summon this card.
• Equip this card to "SPYRAL Super Agent" or an "Anti-SPYRAL" monster you control. It cannot attack directly or be targeted for attacks.
You can only use this effect of "Anti-SPYRAL Counter Suit" once per turn.

Boy meets girl. Girl becomes obsessed with getting the boy. Boy joins SPYRAL and becomes its banner operative. Girl gets jealous. Girl sees Boy being served by (Charming Resort) Staff. Girl goes crazy-pants. Girl joins anti-espionage criminal sect to get the boy again-this time in a hearse. The End. For now. (Obviously she hasn't succeeded.) (Yet.)

To continue the Anti-SPYRAL lineup, one now must turn to its elite. First up is their home base, known simply (to those that deserve to) as the...

anti_spyral_network_by_bdsceptyr-dakru0j

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL Network: Errata]

Field Spell Card

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a "SPYRAL MISSION" or "SPYRAL GEAR" Spell/Trap Card you control is activated, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 "SPYRAL" monster. While you control a "Anti-SPYRAL" monster, your opponent must reveal all cards they Set before they Set them, and their effects cannot be activated until the end of the next turn. You can banish this card and 1 other Field Spell Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Anti-SPYRAL" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

And really, Network is the best way to describe this place, because with all the [iNFORMATION CLASSIFIED] located there, the Network easily maintains a stranglehold over the [iNFORMATION CLASSIFIED]. Even the SPYRAL Resort is barely keeping ahead of the Anti-SPYRAL Network-especially in the fields of [REDACTED].

The second elitist within the Anti-SPYRAL network, however, is a more familiar-and similarily estranged-face:

anti_spyral_rebel_rouser_by_bdsceptyr-da

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL Rebel Rouser: Errata]

WATER/Fiend-Type Effect Monster/Level 6/1300 ATK/2600 DEF

Lore: When this card is Special Summoned by a "SPYRAL" card's effect: You can add 1 "Anti-SPYRAL Network" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 "SPYRAL MISSION" card: Special Summon 1 "SPYRAL" monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck, and switch its ATK and DEF. When this card that is equipped with a "SPYRAL" card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; gain control of that target until the end of the turn, but it cannot attack directly.

This mysterious co-leader of the Anti-SPYRALs fashioned herself, after her promotion, into the spitting image of the SPYRAL's Master Plan-only the Rebel Rouser saw fit to try and improve on the original. Where the Master Plan directs, the Rebel Rouser dictates. Where the Plan works on strategy and execution, Double R relied on allure and intimidation. One could be mistaken for associating the Rebel Rouse with the word 'strongarm' in how she got her iron fist around the criminal element to marshal against SPYRAL, considering her light figure. One would then soon be introduced to the wrong exit of a fast-moving jet for that mistake. And if they were lucky, they'd be deceased beforehand.

Apology accepted, indeed. Your move, Vader.

But I digress. For now, we turn to the (co)head honcho of the Anti-SPYRAL Association.

anti_spyral_boss_rush_by_bdsceptyr-dakrl

[spoiler=Anti-SPYRAL Boss Rush: Errata]

LIGHT/Beast-Warrior-Type Effect Monster/Level 8/2900 ATK/1300 DEF

Lore: When this card is Summoned by a "SPYRAL" card's effect: You can destroy 1 face-up card on the field, and if you do, place it on top of the Deck instead of sending it to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Anti-SPYRAL Boss Rush" once per turn. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP: Special Summon 1 "Bodyguard Token" (LIGHT/Beast-Warrior-Type/Level 1/0 ATK/0 DEF). If an "Anti-SPYRAL" card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or an opponent's card effect, you can destroy 1 Token you control instead.instead.

Rush was himself a small-time general of grunts, under the pressure of SPYRAL. But he, unlike his less unfortunate partners in crime, adapted to the crisis at hand. Forming a triumvirate with both the Rogue Rival and the Rebel Rouser, he built up an entire enterprise from the scraps of the various cabals that SPYRAL had sunk, and fostered the Anti-SPYRALs to combat the spy organization. Now Boss Rush stands on top for the vagabond's throne, and seeks nothing less than the total destruction of SPYRAL-the organization he felt would ruin the world in its attempt to monitor it.

Continuing on with the set, we come to the newest bit of experimental tech from the offices of Quik Fix.

spyral_gear___quik_silver_by_bdsceptyr-d

[spoiler=SPYRAL GEAR - Quik Silver: Errata]

Equip Spell Card

Lore: Activate this card by targeting 1 of your banished monsters with 500 or less DEF and paying LP equal to its ATK: Special Summon it and equip it with this card. If you control the equipped monster and this card, and the equipped monster is a "SPYRAL" monster: You can Tribute the equipped monster; look at the top 2 cards of your opponent's Deck, and if you do, you can destroy up to 2 face-up cards on the field with the same card types (Monster, Spell or Trap) as the revealed cards, but not more than 1 card type each. You can only activate 1 "SPYRAL GEAR - Quik Silver" per turn.

A handy little tool for those hard to reach enemies  MISSION Enders entire locales trapping Super Agent places.

And finally, but finally, the original card that started it all, the reposted aerial getaway option, the E.S. Cape Chute!

last_resort___e_s__cape_chute_by_bdscept

[spoiler=Last Resort - E.S. Cape Chute]

Counter Trap Card

Lore: (This card is also always treated as a "SPYRAL MISSION" card.)
When a Spell Card, Trap Card or monster effect in your opponent's possession is activated while you control a "SPYRAL" monster: You can negate that activation, and if you do, look at the top 2 cards of your opponent's Deck, then place the negated card and those 2 revealed cards on the top of your opponent's Deck, but in any order. You can only activate 1 "Last Resort - E.S. Cape Chute" per turn.

Anyways, may the reviews and revelry arrive in abundance.

BDS, signing off. 

Question; In Anti-Spyral Network's effect, where you banish it & another field spell in the graveyard, did you consider special summoning the monster or did you not want it to be broken in that way?

Basically, yeah. Being able to push out mutliple Boss Rushes and/or Rebel Rousers is not exactly some 1 want to be easily accessible to a Graveyard trigger-'specially with Foolish Burial of Belongings being a thing.

Sorry I’m late on reviewing these, got extremely busy with classes.

Not really a big fan of reviewing archetypal support for archetypes that are going to be getting more support in the future, as the playstyle of them usually hasn’t been set in stone yet. I’ll try to review these to the best of my ability though.

[spoiler=Review]

SPYRAL Scarlet Sneak: I like that you gave it a Normal/SS effect too, as it fits the theme of sneaking and blending in, and having it search out SPYRAL Super Agent is great, might want to put an HOPT on its searching though. I’m really kind of questioning that flip effect, because it could lead to some potential abuse with certain cards. I think the idea of it is good, but maybe limiting it to just “SPYRAL” cards would be better.

Anti-SPYRAL Rogue Rival: An Anti-SPYRAL?!?! What is this, Gurren Lagann? Anime references aside, bit weird for me. I like that you can use it to return Drone to the hand since it’s a poor decision to leave it out on the field, but the restriction to the Battle Phase is a bit annoying, as you can’t use it to allow your Drone to dodge targeted effects. I admit its capability to return Big Red to the hand could be a bit annoying with the plusses you could make, but I don’t think it’s that prevalent an issue. That negation effect is great though, perfectly fits the archetype, and I love it. That last effect is nice, kind of wish it was a quick effect, just so again, it can be used to dodge effects and stuff. It setting a Normal Trap isn’t too bad, since they can’t be activated the turn they’re set, but I’d still consider making it restricted to the archetype since generic Spell/Trap searching is generally frowned upon. I mean Konami literally makes you pay an arm just for a generic Spell search.

Turn Coat Tommy: For the abuse protection on this card, look at “All-Consuming Glutton” for how to word it, I’d also make it so that card can’t be tributed either, just for some extra insurance. Anyway, getting one straight from the deck is pretty strong, but it’s balanced decently. However, I’d consider making it once per turn, or you might get some degenerate loops. That battle effect is pretty strong, though seeing as you have to control Super Agent, it works. That last one is a bit iffy, I’d at least consider making it so that it can’t be used the turn it’s sent to the Graveyard, as the removal is pretty strong, even if it does target.

Anti-SPYRAL MISSION Ender: Nice effect on its summon, I love cards that have various utilities, it’s what makes “Book of Moon” so great. However, I’d put an HOPT on that burn effect, because people will always find ways to try and loop burn effects.

Anti-SPYRAL MISSION - Bankruption: Wow that effect on activation is pretty strong, like I’m a bit worried strong. Since it’s a Continuous Trap, and can be “negated” by MST, I’d consider it fine, glad you get something even if you lose. Anyway, effect’s pretty legit, not much else to say.

Anti-SPYRAL GEAR - Quick Silver: Wow, that protection effect is pretty nasty, you could use it to destroy a card your opponent just set. I could definitely see a lot of people on YGOPro going “Wait, how did you do that?” Anyway, since it’s a Trap, and only gets banished Spyrals, it should be fine.

Anti-SPYRAL Counter Suit: Again, might want to consider changing that effect so it has a HOPT limit, as is, it can’t be negated, while applying continuously, and those kind of effects on a Normal Summonable monster are frowned upon, especially since it’s easily recoverable. Also, not sure at all why you want to equip it, unless you have some other support in mind.

Anti-SPYRAL Network: Eh, I think the SPYRAL Field Spell we have already is better. I feel like having it SS would make this a bit better, as you often need to Normal Summon Drone, just my feelings. Though the amount of slowdown this gives to counter traps, and stuff like Majespecters is hilarious, and I’d play this just to mess with them. Also, seeing as this needs to banish itself, and one from your Graveyard, I think it’d be fine to have it just SS the monster to the field.

Anti-SPYRAL Rebel Rouser: I’d make it add from the Deck or Graveyard, just so it has more usage in conjunction with Terraforming. That SS effect is pretty powerful, and is justified by the specific cost, so I like it, since it allows you to still use MISSION Ender’s effect. That last effect helps make more sense of Counter Suits effect, but it feels so situational you’ll rarely ever pull it.

Anti-SPYRAL Boss Rush: I love that first effect, non-targeting destruction of a face-up card is nice, and it puts on top of the Deck which SPYRALs love. That Token effect seems a bit strange, it might be better to have it just spawn Tokens that prevent it from being targeted or destroyed by card effects or something, maybe as a LP cost, or guessing the top card of your opponent’s Deck, as is now, it just basically means it can’t be destroyed by battle or card effect once per turn, and gives you a rather meaningless Token.

Anti-SPYRAL Gear - Corruption Clip: I mean, I honestly think this might as well be a single use Trap, since it's going to be single use in most cases anyway, and as is, it's a slower Creature Swap that can sometimes get an interesting card from your opponent's Graveyard. It being Continuous just leaves it open to being stopped by MST.

E.S. Cape Chute: More powerful than your average Counter Trap since it doesn't have a cost, but again, as SPYRALs aren't the strongest monsters out there, seems perfectly fine, and it does have the potential to brick you since it has a HOPT clause.

I see that you changed Quik Silver, I can't remember the old effect so I can't really comment on the changes you made, sorry.

Archived