[Written] Red-Eyes Support (6 Cards)

leafbladie

Since I've been seeing a lot of Red-Eyes cards recently, and it's an archetype that I wish had gotten more love, I though I'd take a crack at it.

The three main issues I have with Red-Eyes are as follows:

1. It doesn't actually need "Red-Eyes B. Dragon", meaning the so called "legacy support" can be run without the "legacy", which is annoying since DM and Blue-Eyes still need "Dark Magician" and "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" to function. While they tried to fix that by making it require a Normal Dragon-Type monster for "Archfiend Black Skull Dragon", it was a really poor way to do so.

2. Speaking of that Fusion Monster, Red-Eyes Fusion is annoyingly restrictive, I get that they wanted to prevent abuse like with the other Fusion Cards that allow you to use material from the Deck, but none of the material would net you an inherent advantage from being dumped into the Graveyard.

3. Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon is really annoying to get out by its own archetype. You either have to get it in your hand at the start of the duel, and banish a Dragon-Type you control to summon it, dump it into the Graveyard and use "Red-Eyes Spirit" to get it back, or use "Paladin of Dark Dragon". I understand that it's a good card, but it's at 1, so making it a bit easier to access within its own archetype wouldn't be too much to ask, would it?

Anyway, I decided to address these issues with three cards, 2 monsters that would specifically require "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" to be used, but not in a way that would be tedious to the person using it, and fitting the idea of it being a card that unlocks true potential. A secondary fusion that can work as an alternate option, it requires more Grave set up, but can work well. Making 1 of the monsters able to revive any Red-Eyes monsters upon it summon.

Anyway, here they are:

Chronology Sorceror

Spellcaster-Type/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 500/DEF 400 (Tuner)

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Normal Monster in your Graveyard and then toss a coin and call it. If you call it right, Special Summon it, then you can destroy 1 monster on the field. If you call it wrong, shuffle it into the Deck. If this card is used for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon or Spellcaster-Type monster: Halve the ATK of all monsters your opponent controls.

Red-Eyes Baby Dragon

Dragon-Type/WIND/Level 3/ATK 1200/DEF 400 (Gemini)

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

● Once per turn: You can increase this card’s Level by 2 until the end of this turn, and if you do, you can add 1 Level 2 Tuner monster from your Deck to your hand.

Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon
Dragon-Type/DARK/Level 7/ATK 2400/DEF 2000
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by sending 1 "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard. You can only Special Summon "Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon" once per turn this way. This card's name becomes "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" while it is on the field or in the Graveyard. You can send 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard, then inflict 1200 damage to your opponent. You can only use this effect of "Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon" once per turn, also this card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

Red-Eyes Re-Fusion

Normal Spell

Shuffle into the Deck, from your hand, field, or Graveyard, the Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on a Fusion Monster that lists a “Red-Eyes” monster as Material from your Extra Deck, then Special Summon that Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck or Graveyard, and if you do, its name becomes “Red-Eyes B. Dragon”. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.)

Red-Eyes Thousand Dragon

Dragon-Type/WIND/Level 7/ATK 2400/DEF 2000 (Synchro)

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Gemini monsters

All face-up “Red-Eyes” Gemini Monsters on the field are treated as Effect Monsters, and gain their effects. Your opponent cannot target other “Red-Eyes” monsters you control with card effects. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 “Red-Eyes” Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; this effect becomes that target’s effect when that card is activated, then shuffle that target into the Deck.

Red-Eyes Darkness Flare Metal Dragon

Dragon-Type/DARK/Rank 10/ATK 3400/DEF 3000

3 Level 10 Dragon-Type monsters / You can also Xyz Summon this card by shuffling 1 “Red-Eyes. B. Dragon” from your Graveyard into your Deck, then using 1 “Red-Eyes” Xyz monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) If this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 “Red-Eyes” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Red-Eyes Darkness Flare Metal Dragon" once per duel. Cannot be targeted, or destroyed by, your opponent’s card effects while it has Xyz Materials. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, when a monster effect is activated on the field or when a Normal Spell/Trap Card is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; the effect of that card becomes, “You take 1200 damage.” You can only control 1 Red-Eyes Darkness Flare Metal Dragon".

Its SS Effect is pretty good. Relies on the original Red-Eyes B. Dragon, and fits with the Red-Eyes playstyle as it sends from the hand or Deck. Its burn effect, however, is meh because it prevents you from attacking with this card for a mere 1200 damage. I'd much rather attack with this card to destroy a monster than just burn for 1200 damage without attacking. I'd suggest removing the "This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect." restriction, or making it a monster destruction effect while keeping that restriction, similar to "Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon".

Red-Eyes Re-Fusion

I guess this card is a good replacement for Dragon's Mirror in Red-Eyes Decks. It can also Fusion Summon a Fusion Monster from the Graveyard. While I do like this card, I can't help but feel that it needs some restrictions. I'd suggest limiting the Fusion Materials to the Graveyard only, or by making it SS a Fusion Monster from the Graveyard only.

Shuffles an original Red-Eyes into the Deck from the Graveyard, then uses a Red-Eyes Xyz Monster as Xyz Material. Looks good so far. But the problem with this card is that it has too many effects. Because in addition to being a better Red-Eyes Spirit on-summon, this card also has targeting and destruction protection. It also has the first effect of Spark Field for all Red-Eyes monsters in addition to changing the effect pf an opponent's monster effect, Normal Spell, or Normal Trap to "You take 1200 damage". It's too broken in my opinion. I'd suggest removing some of this card's effects. Also, flavor-wise, this card's ATK should be 3200 because Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon's ATK is 400 higher than the original Red-Eyes, and this card breaks that pattern by having 600 more ATK than Flare Metal.

Its SS Effect is pretty good. Relies on the original Red-Eyes B. Dragon, and fits with the Red-Eyes playstyle as it sends from the hand or Deck. Its burn effect, however, is meh because it prevents you from attacking with this card for a mere 1200 damage. I'd much rather attack with this card to destroy a monster than just burn for 1200 damage without attacking. I'd suggest removing the "This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect." restriction, or making it a monster destruction effect while keeping that restriction, similar to "Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon".

Red-Eyes Re-Fusion

I guess this card is a good replacement for Dragon's Mirror in Red-Eyes Decks. It can also Fusion Summon a Fusion Monster from the Graveyard. While I do like this card, I can't help but feel that it needs some restrictions. I'd suggest limiting the Fusion Materials to the Graveyard only, or by making it SS a Fusion Monster from the Graveyard only.

Shuffles an original Red-Eyes into the Deck from the Graveyard, then uses a Red-Eyes Xyz Monster as Xyz Material. Looks good so far. But the problem with this card is that it has too many effects. Because in addition to being a better Red-Eyes Spirit on-summon, this card also has targeting and destruction protection. It also has the first effect of Spark Field for all Red-Eyes monsters in addition to changing the effect pf an opponent's monster effect, Normal Spell, or Normal Trap to "You take 1200 damage". It's too broken in my opinion. I'd suggest removing some of this card's effects. Also, flavour wise, this card's ATK should be 3200 because Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon's ATK is 400 higher than the original Red-Eyes, and this card breaks that pattern by having 600 more ATK than Flare Metal.

Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon: Well, since Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon's effect is a neutered "Burst Stream of Destruction", I thought it'd be fitting for this effect to be a neutered "Inferno Fire Blast". Also, I know it doesn't seem like much, but that burn amount is actually pretty significant in the long run, especially if you use it first turn when you can't attack. For your first turn, summon this, burn for 1200, then get another Level 7 to the field, and overlay into Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon, and burn your opponent for a significant amount of damage when they want to set up first turn. Actually, now that I think about it, I might want to put a HOPT on it, as you could loop it.

Red-Eyes Re-Fusion: I guess I could see your point, I thought since it was returning to the Deck, that'd actually be more of a cost for Red-Eyes though, as they really want to dump Red-Eyes into the Graveyard as fast as possible.

Red-Eyes Darkness Flare Metal Dragon: The idea of this card is it's equipped with Black Metal Dragon/Dragon Nails, so the ATK and DEF increase is 600. I guess I should remove the "Spark Field" like effect, thought it might be nice to have so you had an alternative to Spark Field.

Darkness Flare is now more tolerable, but the on-summon effect should target (OCG Fix). As for Red-Eyes Re-Fusion, while Red-Eyes monsters do like to be dumped in the Graveyard, it should still have some restrictions. And now that I think about it, Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon is fine as it is. I'm not sure why you chose "use" instead of "activate" in the hard OPT, but whatever. When it comes to flavor though, Alternative should have "and if you do" instead of "then" to fit with "Falling Meteor Black Dragon".

Darkness Flare is now more tolerable, but the on-summon effect should target (OCG Fix). As for Red-Eyes Re-Fusion, while Red-Eyes monsters do like to be dumped in the Graveyard, it should still have some restrictions. And now that I think about it, Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon is fine as it is. I'm not sure why you chose "use" instead of "activate" in the hard OPT, but whatever. When it comes to flavor though, Alternative should have "and if you do" instead of "then" to fit with "Falling Meteor Black Dragon".

I chose "use" instead of "activate", because if your opponent negates the effect with solemn strike, but you have say Red-Eyes Meteor Dragon on the field, so it isn't destroyed, you can't just use its effect again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived