[Finished]Elizabeth's Card Contest Requests

Elizabeth

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be taking Request 10: The Final Request.

[spoiler=Entries]

PjjGmQZ.png

Master Dullahan, the Merciless Arbiter

EARTH / Fiend-type / Fusion / Level 7 / ATK 2800 / DEF 2500

"Headless Knight" + "Disillusioned Guardian" + 1 EARTH Warrior-type monster

Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control and/or from your Graveyard (at least one of them must be on the field). (You do not use "Polymerization".) During each of your End Phases, pay 1000 LP. If you do not, return this card to your Extra Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Headless Knight" from your banished zone. Once per turn: You can send 1 Fiend-type or Zombie-type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard to target 1 monster on the field; banish it. Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK and cannot activate their effects during the turn they are Summoned.

xos35jT.png

Disillusioned Guardian

EARTH / Zombie-type / Level 4 / ATK 1700 / DEF 1800

When a Fiend-type monster you control is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, EARTH Fiend-type, Zombie-type, and Warrior-type monsters you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects until the end of the turn (even if this card leaves the field). If this card was Normal Summoned: You can Tribute it; Send 1 EARTH Fiend-type or Warrior-type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Concept]

Headless Knight's lore:

A haunted spirit of a falsely accused knight who wanders in search of truth and justice.

Disillusioned Guardian's lore (if it was a Normal Monster)

An earthbound spirit that protects the land. It grew weaker as the humans grew to fear and respect demons and myths less and less, and fears their own kind more. The countless wars that man waged against each other ravaged the land, causing it to be disillusioned and bitter towards humanity.

Master Dullahan's lore

Headless Knight, who wanders to exact justice, combines forces with the disillusioned spirit and a brave warrior consenting to be their host. Together they form a demonic knight who pays evil unto evil. An arbiter of justice and retribution, but one with a merciless streak.

Technically it's before 11:59PST for me, so hopefully it's not too late? Wanted to try something different for my card design, hope it works out.

[spoiler=Holy Nova Defender]

MDksU5O.png

Warrior-Type/Fusion/Effect/EARTH/ATK 2000/DEF 0/

1 Warrior-Type Monster + 1 Fairy-Type Monster + 1 Plant-Type Monster
Must be Fusion Summoned by Tributing the above cards from your hand or that you control with EARTH Attributes (You do not use "Polymerization"). If this is the only monster you control, Apply the following effects:
- This card cannot be destroyed by battle and is unaffected by card effects. 
- Both players can attack each other directly, also any battle damage you take is halfed. 
You can only control 1 "Holy Nova Defender".

yDE8OWG.png

Elizabeth

I am not just surprised by how much of you are willing to take the challenge, but the quality of your responses were all very remarkable, making it difficult for me to judge. Still, for this last judgment, I have given my all for it as well, so without further ado, here is my final criticism:

[spoiler=Request 10 Results]

For YCMaker's Not Dead, it was interesting to see a take on this concept by combining Spirits together with Fusions. However, there is very much difficulty that would be needed to tackle the effectiveness of both cards you have presented. In terms of lore and aesthetic, you have pretty much nailed the artwork and concepts very well. In the category of card effects, I was noticing some apparent conflicts within the card and the nature of Spirit monsters as a whole. For the Fusion, the maintenance required to have it remain alive requires a Spirit monster to be present during the Standby Phase, which in thought, is impossible considering Spirits usually cannot be Special Summoned and return to the hand during the End Phase. Aside from that condition, the monster effect was somewhat lackluster especially when a Fusion like this requires 3 very distinct monsters, 1 of which has no synergy in a deck that would make this beast. Simply banishing a monster during damage calculation does not seem fitting enough. Overall, I believe that you could have reduced the risks of creating complex texts for these Spirit cards, by not making them Spirits and making them more viable as well.

For EndUser's card, I believe that it was a take on a notable character I presume? I can say now that I have seen most of your submissions laid out here, you truly valued guest who made consistently well cards with balanced effects, and it can be reflected here in what I saw. There was a good synergy with the effect to banish, gaining power based off it, and having a maintenance for it as well. A good balance with a low enough ATK was also a good example of moderation as well as having the negation effect once per turn. In terms of viability, you made the materials work well in specialized decks that utilizes Red Resonator and those similar Red members so you made everything very useful for it. I believe that this card is a worthy boss suited for the deck's nature as a sort of...side option.

Jellis' card showed some good use of aesthetic when it came to using unique Fusion Materials and having it resemble part of the Fusion a little bit, but my main concern was mostly based on viability and grammar. For grammar, it would be nice if there was a proper upgrade into modern PSCT text, where most effects and clauses are separated by colons and semicolons to distinguish costs and effects more effectively. For viability, it feels very hard to apply the concept of Contact Fusion into this series, where 2 of the materials which you have shown needs to be tribute summoning, which is a very time consuming and fragile process. The effect you made might be rewarding enough, but the conditions are very absurd to attempt. Still, I appreciate the effort in making a clear fusion by combining the effects of your chosen monsters as well as having a decent representation art-wise as well.

For kevin's card, I was surprised how much effort was put in making the lore and aesthetic just right, as well as giving the requested monsters appropriate card effects. After reading and analyzing each card' viability, it seems a bit bleak considering Warriors, Fiends, and Zombies have to be worked together in conjunction, but each effect from the material and Fusion showed decent support and generic viability that would support a good amount of future archetypes. The Guardian card has a unique protection effect that also works to send materials to the grave off the Normal Summon, and the Fusion has a strong effect to neuter monsters on summon as well as destroying cards as well by sending materials to the Graveyard, though it would be nice if this effect would work during either player' turn. Still, I really liked the flair between each of these cards, and there was a good amount of effort made to make up for the viability by creating good balance and effects.

For Major's card, I do have to say you technically passed the deadline so you do not exactly qualify, and I do apologize. However, I will fairly critique and criticize your work. For your card, I feel as though there could have been more potential in the card effect than just having a mere ability to attack directly. If this card required 3 EARTH monsters with these specific types anyway, its logical that just attacking with them would yield larger damage. Not to mention the fact that allowing your opponent attack directly seems counterintuitive. While it is nearly impenetrable to make up for this effect, it seems a bit unbalanced and is invulnerable to anything except for the presence of Kaijus. Should a competent archetype existent that can gather these materials easy, this card seems too annoying to muster up against. So overall, and adjustment of balance and power, as well as possibly having time to create a material or making a more interesting design in general would strengthen this entry.

So after some elaborate judgment and thoughts, the winner of this final request I have deemed shall be:

[spoiler=Results]

kevintriedge

It was a tough decision that had to be made by comparing kevin and EndUser's entries together, but my final decision was made because I was very interested in the kind of implications kevin's card can go for. Both entries had decently balanced effects and efficient use of creativity, I feel that kevin had taken the proper step to go further as to combine lore and text effectively, and it would encourage others to play a specialized deck that uses these cards. So it is with pleasure to congratulate kevin, and for a 2nd place showing, I will reward EndUser as well with 2 Reps. With the 5 Reps, the remaining Reps and points will be distributed by my...alternate account reincarnation here. He will also give you all proper congratulations.

With that said, thank you all for participating and taking part in my requests, despite my conditions being often strict or strange in nature. But in the end, it is necessary for a test of creativity and skill here no? You all were very fantastic guests. Once again, thank you all for your participation~

Archived