Mist Moth (Pendulum Stun)

shadowsapex

Hey, my first pendulum archetype! (They're hard, you know.)
Mist Moths are middling-stat level 3 Insects. While in the pendulum zone, they have minor anti-meta and stun effects, which they activate by destroying themselves. While on the field, they can put themselves in your pendulum zone if a Mist Moth spell is destroyed. It's a bit of an odd concept, but that's just how I roll.

[spoiler=Monsters]
Mist Moth - Cinder Scale
Lvl 3, 1000/1800, FIRE, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/During your opponent's turn: You can destroy this card, then target 1 "Mist Moth" monster you control; it gains 1000 ATK until the end of your next turn./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. Once, while this card is face-up on the field: You can banish 1 face-up "Mist Moth" monster from your Extra Deck; add 1 "Mist Moth" card from your Deck to your hand.

Mist Moth - Ash Wing
Lvl 3, 1200/800, FIRE, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/If your opponent activates a card effect in the Graveyard: You can destroy this card; negate that effect./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is destroyed: "Mist Moth" monsters you currently control cannot be destroyed by battle for the rest of the turn.

Mist Moth - Snow Scale
Lvl 3, 1000/1500, WATER, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/If your opponent declares an attack: You can destroy this card; change that monster to face-down Defense Position./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. You can destroy 1 "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You must control a "Mist Moth" monster to activate and resolve this effect. You can only activate this effect of "Mist Moth - Snow Scale" once per turn.

Mist Moth - Rain Wing
Lvl 3, 1200/900, WATER, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/If you opponent activates the effect of a face-up Spell/Trap Card: You can destroy this card; negate that activation, and if you do, banish it./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If your opponent declares an attack: You can send this card from your hand or Extra Deck to the Graveyard; negate that attack.

Mist Moth - Dust Scale
Lvl 3, 1400/1200, EARTH, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/If your opponent Special Summons a monster(s): You can destroy this card; that monster(s) loses 500 ATK for each monster that was summoned at the same time as it./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Mist Moth" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Mist Moth - Dust Scale". You can only use this effect of "Mist Moth - Dust Scale" once per turn.

Mist Moth - Gray Wing
Lvl 3, 1300/1000, EARTH, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/If your opponent adds a card(s) from the Deck to their hand, except for their normal draw: You can destroy this card; shuffle 1 of those cards into the Deck./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is destroyed: "Mist Moth" monsters you currently control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects for the rest of the turn.

Mist Moth - Storm Scale
Lvl 3, 1500/900, WIND, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/If your opponent Normal Summons a monster: You can destroy this card; return it to the hand./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. Once, while this card is face-up on the field, during your opponent's turn: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 face-up "Mist Moth" monster from your Extra Deck.

Mist Moth - Plume Wing
Lvl 3, 1100/1700, WIND, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/If your opponent Special Summons exactly 1 monster: You can destroy this card; change that monster to face-down Defense Position./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is destroyed: You can target 1 "Mist Moth" monster you control; return it to the hand.

Mist Moth - Sun Scale
Lvl 3, 1700/1000, LIGHT, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/During your opponent's turn: You can destroy this card; all cards in the same Chain as this card that would be sent to the Graveyard when this Chain resolves are banished instead./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 "Mist Moth" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Mist Moth - Thunder Wing
Lvl 3, 1500/800, LIGHT, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/If your opponent activates a monster effect on the field: You can destroy this card; destroy that monster./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is destroyed: You can add 1 "Mist Moth" monster from your Extra Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Mist Moth - Thunder Wing" once per turn.

Mist Moth - Shadow Scale
Lvl 3, 1600/600, DARK, Insect, Pendulum
1/1
/During your opponent's turn: You can destroy this card; your opponent cannot banish cards from their side of the field or either player's Graveyard for the rest of the turn./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Mist Moth" monster from your hand.

Mist Moth - Dusk Wing
Level 3, 1400/1000, DARK, Insect, Pendulum
4/4
/During your opponent's turn: You can destroy this card, then target 1 face-down Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; reveal it, also it cannot be activated until the end of your next turn./
If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone. If this card is destroyed: You can change the battle position of 1 monster on the field.

[spoiler=S/Ts]
Mist Moth - Rising
Continuous Spell
When this card is activated: You can target 3 "Mist Moth" monsters in your Extra Deck; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can destroy this card, then target 1 "Mist Moth" card in your Pendulum Zone; make its Pendulum Scale 8 until the end of this turn.

Mist Moth - Swarm
Continuous Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Mist Moth" monster from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was activated: You can destroy this card, then target 1 "Mist Moth" monster you control; Special Summon 1 monster with the same name as that target from your Deck with its effects negated. You can only activate 1 "Mist Moth - Swarm" per turn.

Mist Moth - Mirage
Trap
This turn, each time a "Mist Moth" card you control is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "Mist Moth Token" (Insect-Type/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Mist Moth Token", "Mist Moth" monsters you control cannot be targeted for attacks, except "Mist Moth Tokens".

Mist Moth - Shroud
Trap
"Mist Moth" cards you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects this turn. If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard as a Normal Monster (Insect-Type/Tuner/DARK/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way, banish this card when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Mist Moth - Shroud" once per turn.

Mist Moth - Crossing
Field Spell
"Mist Moth" monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF for each "Mist Moth" monster in your Extra Deck. You can destroy 1 "Mist Moth" monster you control; add 1 "Mist Moth" monster with a different name from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Mist Moth - Crossing" once per turn. During your opponent's turn, while you have 3 or more "Mist Moth" monsters with different names in your Extra Deck, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the activation of a "Mist Moth" Pendulum Effect.

Mist Moth - Flocking
Continuous Spell
Once per turn: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 excavated "Mist Moth" monster to your hand, also send the rest to the Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if you have 2 "Mist Moth" cards with different names in your Pendulum Zones: You can destroy this card; draw 1 card for each time a "Mist Moth" card(s) you control was destroyed this turn, then destroy all cards in your Pendulum Zones. You can only use this effect of "Mist Moth - Flocking" once per turn.

Mist Moth - Flurry
Spell
Destroy up to 2 "Mist Moth" monsters or Spell Cards you control, then target an equal number of cards your opponent controls; destroy them. You cannot Special Summon the turn you activate this effect, except "Mist Moth" monsters. You can only activate 1 "Mist Moth - Flurry" per turn.

Mist Moth - Frenzy
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 "Mist Moth" monster you control; it gains ATK equal the the total ATK of all other "Mist Moth" monsters you control until the end of the turn. Destroy it during the End Phase. Monsters you control cannot attack the turn you activate this effect, except that target. You can only activate 1 "Mist Moth - Frenzy" per turn.

Reps for reviews! Please inform of any errors!

Something in regard to the monsters: They all appear to have the universal "If a "Mist Moth" Spell Card you control is destroyed: You can place this card in your Pendulum Zone.effect, and since this wording isn't clear I would recommend adding the "While on the field" clause from the beginning of the post into that text. I would also recommend perhaps putting some kind of balancing text on this clause given that with the pendulum mechanic in play here you could create an infinite lockdown of sorts.

It would also be to your benefit to create a sort of win condition for this deck, given that this deck seems to focus heavily on lockdown and Mist Moth - Frenzy (which by the way, is super strong) appears to be the only way besides Mist Moth - Cinder Scale or Mist Moth - Crossing this deck can put a decent beatstick on the board.

The deck seems overall like a faster combo of majespecters and PSY-Frames and it does a overall good job of potentially balancing itself out through minor inconsistencies. If I had to suggest an edit to this deck perhaps I would suggest nerfing a some cards like Mist Moth - Crossing or Mist Moth - Flurry as multi-purpose cards in lockdown decks like this one tend to put the deck on the stronger side - I would suggest nerfing the negation clause on Crossing and making Flurry into a normal spell, similar to Majespecter Storm.

Great job with this archetype!

Continuous effects always apply only while the card is face-up on the field. So the clause isn't necessary. And there really are no infinite loops created, unless you mean resummoning the Mist Moths turn after turn, and that's something all pendulums can do. You got 5 monster zones, so up to 5 scale replacements per turn and you have to keep the last 2 scales up so you can pendulum summon next turn. Besides, it's not really 'lockdown'; the stun effects are each really weak for a reason.

Not having a wincon is one of the weaknesses of this archetype. The player might summon a bunch of rank 3s to push for game, or use Frenzy (I felt it was balanced due to being a trap, so slow, but now that you mention it it might be too OP), or just wait for the opponent to run out of resources and repeatedly direct attack. It's meant to be like a slow deck that gradually picks up advantage.

Is it really that fast? I feel like it isn't quite as fast as Majespecters (especially now that they have Ties of the Brethren), which is why I put in so many search effects as compensation.

Nerfed Frenzy and Flurry. I don't feel like Crossing is that much of a problem - what would the opponent even chain to the pendulum effects, especially since they destroy themselves as cost?

Thank you for reviewing! Highly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Cinder Scale seems like a nice balance between an ATK booster and a searcher. Glancing a bit down, I see self-destruction is a theme along with replenishing those destroyed monsters (or spells, lol) repeatedly. I'm glad it's during your opponent's turn for the most part, otherwise with a full pendulum summon you could very easily fill up your extra deck while activating once while face-up effects. My main concern with this card, however, is the fact that it is Scale 1. Generic Scale 1s are risky, considering most of the current Scale 1 pool are either Normal monsters are ungeneric. Yes, this card doesn't have a generic effect, but Snow Scale has an extremely useful generic effect and is Normal Summonable and Pend Summonable in most decks.

Ash wing seems like an interesting side, being an open negator when placed in the Pendulum Zone for graveyard effects. The effect on destruction seems really cool in place of the searching, especially as its during your opponent's turn. I'm beginning to see a theme with name and attribute.

Snow Scale is much nicer than a plain old negate attack for the archetype, and can trigger your Spell Card destruction on your turn AND is recyclable :D Really neat, just that scale 1 issue. I really hope you expand this into Xyz in the future, considering you have this kind of recycling from the Graveyard.

Rain Wing is negation and banishment, but fortunately only for face-up cards, so plus for that. Really balanced, and the sending from ED to the Graveyard is pretty cool. I might suggest some HOPT on that, but this archetype doesn't have too fast recycling, so that can be left. You do have some idea of how Pendulums work, so grats.

Dust is a generic Pendulum negator. Now, look, while these effects aren't incredibly strong, and do help boost the archetype, I would seriously suggest forcing the Scale 1s at least to have some sort of archetypal restriction, such as requiring another "Mist Moth" in your other Pendulum Zone. Anyway, this card is a searcher. A bit too simple for my tastes, as you have Cinder Scale, so perhaps nerf it a little to Special Summon?

These Pendulum effects are really going into the realm of generic toolboxing, Gray fills the niche of preventing your opponent top-decking, but the genericness is nearly drawing a line. Perhaps do something a little more archetypal? Anyway, having another on destruction effect and providing the other sort of protection is wanted and fine. I can't really see any combos so far in regards to cards, so I'll talk about them in the S/T.

Storm should probably be a little more specific in regards to the monster it returns, but other than being generic, is fine. Nice to see some more Graveyard play as well, as this combos with the monster that Special Summons itself from the Graveyard! Nice! Also during your opponent's turn, which semblances the speed of Pendulums with the slowness of waiting a turn, and also that once face-up thing returns, which is nice to see. I Really wish more cards used that concept (other than wind-ups).

Plume almost scared me with power, but then I realized that unlike Endless Trap Hole this card does not prevent the monster from being flipped face-up later. Dunno why the card returns to the hand; I mean, I guess it could be useful in returning some of the MD monsters if your opponent is banishing them or something, but for the most part you want them to be on the field so that when your Pend Scale is destroyed you can replace it.

Sun Scale has an interesting effect, which forces your opponent to be a little more careful in regards to combos. Perhaps this one at least should have HOPT on the pendulum effect. As for the monster effect; fabulous. More graveyard play. Makes me want some Xyz Bosses for this archetype for that to have a huge effect!

Thunder Wing is a great kind of monster effect response, destroying rather than negating and destroying. The searching on destruction works really well, especially as it's more of an add than a search, and replenishes the hand from the probably full extra deck.

SHADOW SCALE ANNOYS ME MORE THAN IT SHOULD AS THERE ISN'T A DARK WING COUNTERPART D: Tiny flavour issues aside, it is a nice archetypal banish preventer, as Lancea probably does a better job in that regard for a generic side, so it's not too strong or easily replaced. As for the Summoning effect, it's okay, I guess, but most of your monsters will be in your Extra Deck or on the field already from a Pendulum Summon. Yes, this combos well with searchers, and for surprises, but it's not great.

Rising's on activation effect is okay, but considering this doesn't really have a boss(es) yes, Pot of Wealth is almost infinitely superior in that regard. As for the second effect, I think that it might be more interesting if just changed the Scale to 8, as, considering you would have no reason other than other cards being splashed into this archetypal to have such a high scale, being able to do 4-8 as well as 1-8 means you have a bit more versatility and situations to use that effect. Yes, you can Pend Summon with a 2-4, but I mean, why would you do that?

Swarm is a nice searcher, and good at reinforcing your field advantage. Not much else to say there, a good support card.

Mirage is sort of useful? I guess? Considering the lack of bosses at the present, there's no real want to protect your own monsters, but even if you don't flesh out that aspect, this would allow for an easy 4 tokens for protection. You just have to want them.

Shroud provides required protection for the archetype, which would be especially useful if you made some bosses. I keep repeating this, but just a quick mention that either Xyz or MD would work. Don't even have to used ED. This card also has to specify if it is treated as a Trap Card when it is Special Summoned it or not; if not, you can Xyz with it, otherwise you can't.

Crossing uses the Extra Deck stacking very well, compared to Zefra, but wish it did it a bit more. It also supplies this and combines this with that lovely searching effect. The chain prevention effect is beautiful, in all honestly. It's their turn, so they have priority in terms of destruction if they want to, and if they don't want to they don't suffer too terribly, but it is dangerous for them.

I love Flocking's first effect in terms of adding more reason for Graveyard play, especially as it adds some more searchability. Yes, this archetype has a bunch (which is probably why that monster I mentioned earlier should only activate upon a Special Summon), but it isn't over the top yet. Probably would be nice to have some HOPT though. However, be sure to say that the adding has a "if any" clause, as what if you do not excavate a Mist Moth monster? The last effect is too powerful, with the ease of destruction giving you a bit too much draw power, and the destruction of your Pend zones not really meaning much with the searchability of the archetype at present. Probably just draw 1 without destroying if 3 or more of your monsters were destroyed? That way you could remove the HOPT, at least on this effect.

Flurry is pretty cool in terms of destruction. Although Mist Moths really benefit from destruction, the fact that it targets along with the Summoning restriction debuffs enough to make it a fine card to run. Would definitely run it in the deck in its current state. Glad you didn't stack too much onto it, as simple is sometimes good.

Frenzy sort of makes a boss, but with tokens and self destruction it's not quite that useful as a trap. Make it a quick-play and you're probably good to go for some nice speed, especially as it destroys the monster you targeted and you cannot attack with other monsters.

This archetype is great, and you did a great job with Pendulum monsters (even if they are a bit hard to read at times, not really a big problem, but your format is not something I'm used to XD You don't have to change it, but just saying it's not standard). Yes, there are a few flaws, but only a few, which is certainly something considering the size of the archetype. My only other complaint is the fact that they just seem to be an engine at present, which doesn't seem to be the intention with the Mist Moth restriction on Summoning sometimes. There is some potential to work without bosses, but they don't have quite the power on their own yet.

Might as well add a little something for Dusk Wing :P

Both effects leave a lot to be desired, in all honesty. Yes, you can prevent a facedown card from being activated, but if they really wanted to activate it they would probably have tried to sooner it. It would have some more use if this archetype nuked Spell/Traps on their own, allowing you to know which ones you want to get rid of, but just having to rely on cards like Twin Twisters/MST/Galaxy Cyclone...it's meh for now, as it only works on your opponent's turn. Probably should just be entirely SS2. The changing of battle position is...hold on, just realized it has no HOPT. Probably fine as is, then, as it fill the niche of helping the archetype be a little more battle oriented.

Thanks for the detailed review, Dova, you're awesome as always.

They are a bit generic, but Odd-Eyes Unicorn and Persona are too and they're more searchable and benefit from the versatility of Sky Iris. Since these are mostly one use, I don't feel they really need to be nerfed, except for maybe Dust Scale who can search himself. I'll tweak them on a case by case basis.

Though it really wouldn't hurt them to put a summon restriction on their pendulums, so I could simply do that if you think it's needed.

I dunno why having Dust not trigger on a Normal summon would nerf it. It's meant to be able to give you a search in the early game when you don't have many resources yet. Fact, my original version only triggered on NS.

Mm, I can't make the pendulum effects archetypal. They're meant to have anti-meta effects as scales and archetype support effects as monsters. I dunno how to make the stun effects more archetypal.

Doesn't seem like you realized Shroud summons itself as a Tuner. Trish enough of a boss for ya? :D

Huh... Flocking is supposed to destroy itself for its draw effect. Can't believe I forgot that.

Made Snow and Dust less splashable. Changed Rising to what you suggested. Put that trap card clause on Shroud. Fixed Flocking. Frenzy is quick-play. Thanks for reviewing. I'll work on a wincon, some bosses, maybe an xyz or 2.

Archived