Nintendo Switch

Flame Dragon

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, that's like 3pm over here, inb4 I end up missing it for some silly reason and read about it like an hour or so after that.

Sounds like they're just going to be posting a video but I do hope it's streamed. And that I'm back from dropping off family tomorrow morning...

Well I for one need a change of pants.

They did exactly what the Wii U's initial trailer failed to do. They got across everything they could have possibly needed to about their new console in a single 3 minute trailer.

[spoiler=And now I shall go over every important detail in... detail]

oBPcDCX.png

Like rumored, there is a base station to the Nintendo Switch that the portable screen can be placed into while the outer parts are attached to a controller.

Md8Swe4.png

BrdgOR0.png

The two SWITCHes on the controller can be attached to a controller base. They're both have 4 buttons that are ABXY on one and Up, Down, Left Right on the other, as well as an analog stick. Functionally, they're identical. It's possible you could even switch which side is attached on which and laugh as ABXY becomes the d-pad. It's kind of really ugly, but is thankfully not the only controller option.

AmhkdrZ.png

Base station without the screen inserted.

5DWofl1.png

AXL5oRr.png

0BpJm5Q.png

It's big, but I like the look of the portable. AND LOOK AT THAT GIANT MOBLIN! (Also Skyrim

Cb9Sv1L.png

Not gonna lie, this is a REALLY good logo.

6ZcslGc.pngiRg9vkN.png

There's a stand on the screen so you can set it up.

sBpJX4O.png

And then remove the switches and use them both as remote controlls. If you bring along the controller input you can probably just put them in and use them as such.

vTRN01i.png

Nintendo made an Xbox controller and it looks perfect. This is probably what I'll be playing everything with.

svluLHP.png

You can bring the two portables together and play against each other. Plus being able to take off the switches means that you can play 4 player with 2 portables.

HPZJGgG.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have Cartridges. Probably 32 GB of storage for each which may be problematic but we'll just have to wait and see.

D5qGMEk.png

KsHDJSo.png

Notice something about this version of Mario Kart 8? How about the 2 item slots? KING BOO? Clearly stuff has been added to the ported version and I cannot wait.

ODmVfdb.png

The new Mario looks gorgeous, and from the looks of the initial view, it might even have a hubworld like everyone wanted.

SOOj33C.png

E-SPORTS! Honestly this video sold the idea of a hybrid console so funking hard, it's spectacular.

ES6 be in Switch please.

lack of gimmick other than the primary one, which is actually pretty relevant is really pleasant. Assuming it gets nongaming functionalities, it'd actually function as a tablet with console-tier capabilities, which is pretty hilarious.

Default controller bugs me. They felt really small, and I'm worried about their structure for some reasons.

Definitely looks a lot more promising than Wii U already with what it offers, but...iunno. I want to be excited but idk, something still bugs me about it.

Shoulda announced Melee HD along with it, woulda hyped me. As is I'm still lukewarm.

How portable is this going to be? Can I get the full experience without a TV like the pissant I am? And if I can, then isn't this just a gimmickier handheld? And Switch isn't really a name that rolls off the tongue. It's not quite Wii U-tier naming but I'm not sure how well this is going to grab attention. You can call it the NS but that sounds really similar to the NDS(although no one calls it the NDS but it is a thing). 

I guess in the end we'll just have to see what games actually get announced for this.

In the end, I only care about how the controller ends up feeling to me, not how it looks, but I will need the pro controller anyway, as I'm sure I'll be getting virtual console titles at some point. It has the more familiar D-pad that's more like what was used for the systems the games were designed for. 

I'm a little bit confused that the new Splatoon doesn't seem able to use the controller with the secondary screen showcasing the current map, and instead they showed the pro controller used with it. Are super jumps and map status not gonna be a thing anymore? Will we have to open a side screen on the main screen to see the map if there even is one?

Also, it only showcased different maps/weapons and ability to customize the characters a little more. Does it have other species (Octolings, Anemonas, etc) like some people have wanted it to have? because that wasn't showcased if they do.....

I need more information.

I'm a little bit confused that the new Splatoon doesn't seem able to use the controller with the secondary screen showcasing the current map, and instead they showed the pro controller used with it.

Well it doesn't have a secondary screen. There's the TV, or the handheld. Not both. The screen is in the dock when you use the TV, so it seems there just has to be some other way to do those things... or something.

If they do let you use both, then that's certainly even more controller options that we currently know, but it still seems unlikely.

How portable is this going to be? Can I get the full experience without a TV like the pissant I am? And if I can, then isn't this just a gimmickier handheld?

It's a hybrid. You can play it all on handheld, all on the TV, or both. It's the novelty of choice that's this console's selling point. It's more of a feature than a gimmick this time around.

I'm a little bit confused that the new Splatoon doesn't seem able to use the controller with the secondary screen showcasing the current map, and instead they showed the pro controller used with it. Are super jumps and map status not gonna be a thing anymore? Will we have to open a side screen on the main screen to see the map if there even is one?

Also, it only showcased different maps/weapons and ability to customize the characters a little more. Does it have other species (Octolings, Anemonas, etc) like some people have wanted it to have? because that wasn't showcased if they do.....

I need more information.

They could probably still include the map on the screen even without the touchscreen and have a button for super jumps. You had to give your attention to the lower screen to super jump anyway so not much would be different.

It's a hybrid. You can play it all on handheld, all on the TV, or both. It's the novelty of choice that's this console's selling point. It's more of a feature than a gimmick this time around.

They could probably still include the map on the screen even without the touchscreen and have a button for super jumps. You had to give your attention to the lower screen to super jump anyway so not much would be different.

It'd be a little awkward though because currently you have to give your attention to a touch screen, but most TV screens aren't touch screens so it'd either have to scroll with the sticks or point at the location you want a la Wii controller... or if it directly pointed at only the super jumpable locations like (point A spawn, point B companion #1, point C, beacon behind wall X, etc) and moving the analog stick instantly de-selected one and selected another one without having to point at it.

IDK, makes me wonder what they'll go for.

They maybe could also have a super-jump button work in a way that you could use it before knowing where you'd go, and when already in the air you'd get the map and choose where to fall, which would probably be awkward for the direction of the animation jump and would then lift the question of if they'd allow the squid to stay up there for a few seconds or go to spawn by default if you took too long to choose or IDK....

Makes me think of a lot of things and now this last one was just throwing weird ideas that are unlikely to happen....

*shrugs*

I'm really excited about all the third-party stuff. One thing I find interesting that despite kind of getting burned due to sales backfiring when working with the Wii U, Ubisoft has mentioned previously how much they like the new system.

Also, From Software is on their list. Yus.

It'd be a little awkward though because currently you have to give your attention to a touch screen, but most TV screens aren't touch screens so it'd either have to scroll with the sticks or point at the location you want a la Wii controller... or if it directly pointed at only the super jumpable locations like (point A spawn, point B companion #1, point C, beacon behind wall X, etc) and moving the analog stick instantly de-selected one and selected another one without having to point at it.

IDK, makes me wonder what they'll go for.

They maybe could also have a super-jump button work in a way that you could use it before knowing where you'd go, and when already in the air you'd get the map and choose where to fall, which would probably be awkward for the direction of the animation jump and would then lift the question of if they'd allow the squid to stay up there for a few seconds or go to spawn by default if you took too long to choose or IDK....

Makes me think of a lot of things and now this last one was just throwing weird ideas that are unlikely to happen....

*shrugs*

I think they'll probably just do what other mainstream FPS's have done for ages and have you choose with the analog stick. It might be a little less intuitive, but it's worked for more than a decade now.

I just woke up so just now has been able to see the trailer.

I must admit, when I first heard the rumors of a hybrid console, I wasn't a fan of it at all since it seemed like an unnecessary gimmick, but that trailer kinda sold me on that idea. It doesn't look like as much of a gimmick as I originally thought it would've been. Hell, if I end up getting one, I might just never use the handheld portion and use it as a home console 90% of the time.

Definitely excited to see more of this. Need to see the price and launch games before deciding if I want to buy one asap or wait a bit.

Excited for the Switch. Confirmation that we'll be getting a new Mario not THAT long after it launches is also a nice thing to see. Also nice to see 3rd party support for the time being. Nintendo's biggest weakness has always been getting 3rd parties.

Curious about the MK8 they showed off. It clearly has new content, but Wii U games don't exactly work with the Switch. Would rather not buy the game again, especially since it has DLC I'd need to get too. Wonder if they will have some way to port Wii U games over.

Important questions I've seen include price point (I've seen $400 thrown around and that seems accurate) and battery life on the tablet half. Hopefully we'll have those numbers soon.

Archived