Nintendo Switch

Flame Dragon

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit, when I first heard the rumors of a hybrid console, I wasn't a fan of it at all since it seemed like an unnecessary gimmick, but that trailer kinda sold me on that idea. It doesn't look like as much of a gimmick as I originally thought it would've been.

This is the really important thing, because Nintendo had a real problem presenting the Wii U at first and it definitely impacted sales. The fact that Nintendo was able to get across exactly what this is and a whole bunch of different uses and SELL people who may not have initially been interested in the idea in under 3 minutes could mean big things if the games are there.

Curious about the MK8 they showed off. It clearly has new content, but Wii U games don't exactly work with the Switch. Would rather not buy the game again, especially since it has DLC I'd need to get too.

Chances are there won't be DLC. They'll just include all content in the Switch version. I'm betting they added about 2 DLC contents' worth of Mario Kart to get to 16 cups, meaning we'll probably end up seeing around 6 new characters (including King Boo), 16 new tracks, and 8 new karts.

I really hope we get a main series Pokemon game on it.

I maintain that a mainline Pokémon game is Nintendo's golden bullet.

This is the really important thing, because Nintendo had a real problem presenting the Wii U at first and it definitely impacted sales. The fact that Nintendo was able to get across exactly what this is and a whole bunch of different uses and SELL people who may not have initially been interested in the idea in under 3 minutes could mean big things if the games are there.

Chances are there won't be DLC. They'll just include all content in the Switch version. I'm betting they added about 2 DLC contents' worth of Mario Kart to get to 16 cups, meaning we'll probably end up seeing around 6 new characters (including King Boo), 16 new tracks, and 8 new karts.

I maintain that a mainline Pokémon game is Nintendo's golden bullet.

I imagine if the Switch launch with Zelda and an updated MK8 that should be enough to draw people in at the start. Especially if they also have 3rd party support at launch.

Suppose that makes sense.

We know GameFreak is working on stuff for the system, so time will tell what exactly it will be.

In other news, Hearthstone might be coming to Switch. Makes sense given its portable nature.

We know GameFreak is working on stuff for the system, so time will tell what exactly it will be.

It'd be really interesting to see what Game Freak does. We know they take their sweet time making games for a new system until there's an install base, but with push from Nintendo and a different approach to how they make these games– like not making a third version and sticking to either sequels or remakes, it's possible we don't see another Pokémon game on 3DS after Sun & Moon and they go straight for the Switch.

A Pokémon game next fall for Switch would be an instant system seller. Retailers would probably sell out of their stock during the holidays..

So far we only know Breath of the Wild will be a launch title, hopefully that new 3D Mario will be as well. Skyim Remastered most likely will be one since it's coming out next week.

Launch titles are probably going to be BotW, a number of games that are coming out at the end of this year, and maybe 2-3 noteworthy games. Miyamoto said that Mario might show up at E3 next year, so it might be a bit further out than it looks.

Anyway the games we know are coming to Switch are: Breath of the Wild, Just Dance 2017, and that Dragon Quest game.

And the games they showed today are: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Breath of the Wild, NBA 2K, Skyrim (which Bethesda has said is not confirmed, likely just a test for the kinds of games they're considering for it), and of course the new Latin-inspired 3D Mario game.

Anyone else really pleased with the aesthetic?

rPxNXEd.jpg?1

The Joy-Con Grip looks kinda doofy but everything else is really nice. I'm also a fan of the name and logo.

Don't forget about the Pro Controller, which will no doubt be THE way to play when it's docked.

vTRN01i.png

Also just want to point out that the center cover is see-through like the old N64 controllers. Could be really cool if they add multiple colored controllers. Also there's 4 buttons in the middle, one is +, the other is -, one is likely a home button, and based on rumors that have been backed up by the reveal, the 4th is probably a share button.

I have always said one of the major reasons I didn't buy a Wii U was because I didn't quite understand what it was until after it came out. Nintendo definitely did a good job with presenting this and what it's about. I don't really have many questions about this, except for specs and such. In my view, they did well with this trailer.

Since I never bought a Wii U, I have never had a chance to play Splatoon or Mario Kart 8. A sequel/remake for the two on the Switch would definitely make me consider getting the console even more. A Pokemon game even more so. Very excited for the next few months, hoping to see a lot more games that I would enjoy.

MK game is gonna be called Mario Kart Switch and have Double Dash type sheet.  Calling it now. 

I'm kinda torn.  Part of me wants a touch screen so it can just be a functional tablet.  Get Wifi on there and it's basically an iPad.

That being said, it would drive the cost up a bit. 

My only hope is that there is a COMPLETE virtual console library, every, and I mean EVERY game in Nintendo's library will be there, including the Ninja Turtles games from the late 80's early 90's the Tiny Toons games, Sega games, the list goes. on.

That is likely impossible. One of the things that keeps older games from coming back out is rights issues and going through all that for such little gain isn't really worth it.

I'm kinda torn.  Part of me wants a touch screen so it can just be a functional tablet.  Get Wifi on there and it's basically an iPad.

That being said, it would drive the cost up a bit.

As I already said, based on some of the specs we know it is likely going to come in at around $400. Touch screen would be nice, but it likely won't be used a ton and the extra cost would push it based what I imagine most people would find acceptable.

MK game is gonna be called Mario Kart Switch and have Double Dash type sheet.  Calling it now.

I'd be down for that. Also, somehow I've only just now realized that you're Tenta. I thought it was weird that you seemed to disappear, turns out I'm just an idiot.

EDIT: Aw, no more news for awhile.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/267137-nintendo-no-official-announcement-on-switch-games-or-specs-this

http://gonintendo.com/stories/267134-switch-to-come-with-joy-cons-dock-undecided-on-joy-con-grip-co

EDIT EDIT: But more rumors.

Rumored 3 hours battery life not docked, that seems not that bad to me considering the power this thing has for a handheld device.

That is likely impossible. One of the things that keeps older games from coming back out is rights issues and going through all that for such little gain isn't really worth it.

I think it would, but I gotta ask, does Nintendo need permission from Steven Spielberg for any Tiny Toons games? Seriously Castlevania was Konami branded and they got some games on VC.

I think it would, but I gotta ask, does Nintendo need permission from Steven Spielberg for any Tiny Toons games? Seriously Castlevania was Konami branded and they got some games on VC.

I will first note that I am not an expert in this field. I've listened to a fair bit of discussion about it, but thats about the extent of it. Not to mention my memory can be off. But, I believe so, yes. The companies that make the games, lets say for Tiny Toons, have a contract to make games for that IP for X number of years. When the contract is up it makes rereleasing the games much harder since the company that made the games doesn't have the rights to the IP that appears in the games. This issue comes up with a ton of licensed games, and certain companies just don't want to play ball with stuff like this years after they come out.

Got bad news:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-21/nintendo-switch-will-not-be-compatible-with-wii-u-discs-3ds-cards/.107951

No backward compatibility. Hope the Virtual Console has games from consoles past, including Wii U and 3ds.

However, I like the design. Plus I can play it at my grandmother's house and on the way there and on the way back home.

Yeah, I mean just looking at the design it doesn't seem like it would have anywhere that you would put disks or 3ds cartridges. If the trailer is any indication though we'll probably be getting ports/remakes or whatever for their most popular games. Would be nice if they were able to carry over virtual console games over from WiiU since it was nice being able to have the older FE games... legally at least

Hopefully we'll get stuff like #TMS and Bayonetta ported

EDIT: Also would've mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. But seeing ATLUS on that list I will bet on my grandmother's grave that Persona 5 Golden or whatever they want to call it will most definitely be on this system. I mean I know Persona is mostly Sony's thing, but in recent years ATLUS has been getting real cozy with Nintendo

EDIT2: Amiibo support confirmed(?)

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the-nintendo-switch-has-confirmed-amiibo-support

I mean it seems like a confirmation, but the statement says "if" a game supports Amiibo so it seems kinda vague, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Yeah, I mean just looking at the design it doesn't seem like it would have anywhere that you would put disks or 3ds cartridges. If the trailer is any indication though we'll probably be getting ports/remakes or whatever for their most popular games. Would be nice if they were able to carry over virtual console games over from WiiU since it was nice being able to have the older FE games... legally at least

Hopefully we'll get stuff like #TMS and Bayonetta ported

There was a rumor that seems to be backed up pretty well at this point stating that 4 games were going to be ported to Switch: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Smash Bros, and Mario Maker. It'd be cool if other stuff got ported, but I doubt it. Those were Nintendo's 4 biggest games. Atlas and Platinum are both listed as devs though, so you never know. Could see a new Bayonetta and have them port over the last two. #TMS might be a "last jrpg on a dying console" sort of thing and not show up elsewhere...

CORRECTION EDIT: I just realized that Mario Kart 8 was not actually rumored as a remake for NX/Switch. It was more likely assumed that there would just be a new title. Which of those is the title they showed during the trailer is still unknown.

EDIT: Also would've mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. But seeing ATLUS on that list I will bet on my grandmother's grave that Persona 5 Golden or whatever they want to call it will most definitely be on this system. I mean I know Persona is mostly Sony's thing, but in recent years ATLUS has been getting real cozy with Nintendo

EDIT2: Amiibo support confirmed(?)

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the-nintendo-switch-has-confirmed-amiibo-support

I mean it seems like a confirmation, but the statement says "if" a game supports Amiibo so it seems kinda vague, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Persona Q was on DS so that's not out of the range of possibilities, plus the switch when portable is basically a Vita. But Atlas does also publish Etrian Odyssey, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, and the core SMT titles which were all on 3DS. Any of these would be interesting, and I can imagine a port of P4G being a good way for Atlas to get their feet wet with the new hardware. Though I would also guess they we could see an announcement for SMT5 sometime in the future.

Amiibo support seems confirmed yeah. Makes sense, considering we know there are amiibo coming out for BotW and past Zelda amiibo will work with it as well.

Games-related stuff:

1. Super Mario Switch: It was pointed out to me in GameXplain's overly-long analysis video, but the temple that appears in the second Super Mario Switch clip seems to bee off in the distance in the first, and has a waypoint set over it. While Mario was explained by Tezuka 3 years ago as "about completing a set amount of challenges in a set amount of time" it may be possible that this new 3D Mario game goes further than SM64 or Sunshine ever did and makes what essentially would be an open world– or at least 8 worlds like normal Mario games each with a different theme but completely open between main hub and the levels.

2. Mario Kart 8 Port: There are a crap ton of references to the GameCube in this trailer. The new character, King Boo, was first introduced into the kart series in Double Dash. There are 2 items like in Double Dash. The track they showed was Yoshi's Circuit from Double Dash. It's public knowledge that the developers of Mario Kart are aware that people would like to see a return to the mechanics of Double Dash and have said that with enough fan support they could do it. Also this system is called the Nintendo Switch, and switching is the main mechanic in Double Dash, plus you can have two players ready to tag team with a single NSwitch because of the ability to split up the two Joy-Con controllers. Basically they put a ton of hints towards Double Dash mechanics in the trailer, and the system itself appears to be perfect for facilitating and emphasizing those mechanics. If this game has that, a fixed battle mode, more characters and more tracks, then honestly I could care less if I have to buy Mario Kart 8 again.

There was a rumor that seems to be backed up pretty well at this point stating that 4 games were going to be ported to Switch: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Smash Bros, and Mario Maker. It'd be cool if other stuff got ported, but I doubt it. Those were Nintendo's 4 biggest games. Atlas and Platinum are both listed as devs though, so you never know. Could see a new Bayonetta and have them port over the last two. #TMS might be a "last jrpg on a dying console" sort of thing and not show up elsewhere...

CORRECTION EDIT: I just realized that Mario Kart 8 was not actually rumored as a remake for NX/Switch. It was more likely assumed that there would just be a new title. Which of those is the title they showed during the trailer is still unknown.

Persona Q was on DS so that's not out of the range of possibilities, plus the switch when portable is basically a Vita. But Atlas does also publish Etrian Odyssey, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, and the core SMT titles which were all on 3DS. Any of these would be interesting, and I can imagine a port of P4G being a good way for Atlas to get their feet wet with the new hardware. Though I would also guess they we could see an announcement for SMT5 sometime in the future.

Amiibo support seems confirmed yeah. Makes sense, considering we know there are amiibo coming out for BotW and past Zelda amiibo will work with it as well.

You're forgetting Code of Princess. There was another game featuring a female president in a semi post-apocalyptic world where she rides a mech suit with multiple bits fighting aliens, I forget the name of it.

Ninja edited in an update so I'm just going to quote it again:

Update:

"Nintendo to hold Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 on Jan 12. It includes 1) price, 2) software lineup and 3) launch date" - Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj)

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791457084298493952

He didn't list specs, which seems concerning, but Nintendo has never cared about that. Price and software lineup is more important.

Update 2:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791466743537410048

Apparently there's a big event in Japan that's open to the public the two days following the presentation to demo the system.

Archived