[Sakura] ZPD Archetype (15/15)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Update log

• 11/12/2016 - Added ZPD Officers Byakurou and Pennington, and ZPD Inspection.
  • 9/7/2017 - Some changes to reflect what I have on my Wikia. (New cards are marked in BLUE)

[spoiler=ZPD]
ZPD Officer - Hopps
Level 3 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Effect
1500/1400
You can only use the ① effect of "ZPD Officer - Hopps" once per turn. ① You can add 1 "ZPD" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. ② Cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

ZPD Officer - Wilde
Level 3 | EARTH | Beast-Warrior | Effect
1600/1200
You can only use the ① effect of "ZPD Officer - Wilde" once per turn. ① You can shuffle 1 "ZPD" card from your hand into the Deck; draw 2 cards. ② If this card would be targeted by a card effect: You can Tribute this card; negate the activation of that effect, and if you do, destroy it. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

ZPD Officer - Clawhauser
Level 4 | EARTH | Beast-Warrior | Effect
1400/1900
① Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "ZPD" monster from your hand or Graveyard, except "ZPD Officer - Clawhauser". ② If another "ZPD" monster you control would be destroyed: You can destroy this card instead.

ZPD Officer - McHorn
1800/1500
① When a "ZPD" monster you control battles an opponent's monster, any battle damage it inflicts to your opponent is doubled.

ZPD Officer - Delgato
1700/1300
① When a "ZPD" monster you control battles an opponent's monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

ZPD Officer - Fangmeyer
1700/1200
You can only activate the ① effect of "ZPD Officer - Fangmeyer" once per turn. ① If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard). ② Once per turn, if a "ZPD" monster inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; banish it.

ZPD Chief - Bogo
2000/1000
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by revealing 1 "ZPD Central Headquarters" in your hand. You can only control 1 "ZPD Chief - Bogo". ① Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card or effect is activated: You can negate the activation of that effect, and if you do, destroy it.

ZPD Officer - Byakurou

1600/1600

① "ZPD" monsters you control can attack directly, but any battle damage they inflict to your opponent is halved.

ZPD Officer - Pennington

1800/1400

① Once per turn, if exactly 1 "ZPD" monster you control is targeted for an attack or an opponent's card effect: You can make this card the new target of that attack or card effect.

ZPD Central Headquarters
Spell | Field
You can only use the ② effect of "ZPD Central Headquarters" once per turn. ① "ZPD" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for every "ZPD" monster you control. ② You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "ZPD" monster (from your hand or Deck). 

ZPD Carrot Recorder Pen
Spell | Continuous
This card's effects can only be applied/resolved while you control "ZPD Officer - Hopps". You can only activate each effect of "ZPD Carrot Recorder Pen" once per turn. ① During either player's turn, if a Spell / Trap Card is activated: You can negate the effect of that card, and if you do, add it to your hand, but it remains revealed while in your hand, also it cannot be placed in your Spell & Trap Card Zone. ② During either player's turn: You can send 1 card that is revealed by this effect from your hand to the Graveyard; apply its effect as this card's effect until the end of this turn.

ZPD Secret Investigation

Spell | Normal

You can only activate 1 effect of "ZPD Investigation" per turn, and only once that turn. ① Shuffle 5 "ZPD" cards in your hand and/or Graveyard into the Deck, then draw 2 cards. ② During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, then you can add 1 of those cards to your hand, also place the remaining cards at the bottom of your Deck.

ZPD Motorcycle

Spell | Continuous

You can only activate each effect of "ZPD Motorcycle" once per turn. ① If you control a "ZPD" monster: You can Special Summon this card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as an Effect Monster (Machine-Type/Tuner/EARTH/Level 3/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is NOT treated as a Spell Card.) While treated as a monster by this effect, it cannot be used as Material for a Summon, except for a "ZPD" monster. ② Once per turn: You can target 1 "ZPD" monster you control; it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn.

ZPD Inspection

Trap | Counter

You can only activate 1 "ZPD Inspection" per turn. ① When your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to your hand (except during the Draw Phase) while you control a "ZPD" monster: You can look at your opponent's hand, then discard 1 card from their hand.

ZPD Arrest

Trap | Counter

① When your opponent Summons a monster while you control a "ZPD" monster: Negate the Summon, and if you do, banish it.

[spoiler=Design notes]

As you probably realized by now (hopefully), I've gotten into Zootopia (well, after waiting a couple months to watch the movie). So yeah, Deck is based on the ZPD, and main character is pretty much the core of this set (well, Nick has one too, despite his short stint as a member towards the end of the film). I should also note that I wanted to use other characters, but due to lack of images and data, I had to make some substitutions and/or use animal behaviors for the officers that did not have a major role. 

For the most part, this Deck fares well enough on its own, provided you can get resources going. (Headquarters originally permitted summoning from the Graveyard as well, but we already have Clawhauser to handle that part so I removed that). 

General roles:

• Hopps is your Stratos for the Archetype; well, hard OPT and can trigger every turn if you can keep her alive. The 'specter clauses are supposed to reflect her ability to do things that the other officers can't.
  • Wilde is intended to alleviate brick hands that you may have, or shuffle in ZPD cards you don't need at the moment for better cards (i.e. staples, members you actually want at this time, etc). Other effect is reflection of his ability to "evade" certain situations. 
  • Clawhauser Special Summons stuff from your hand or Graveyard, which ties into his role as a dispatcher. As nothing else was given for his character, I also gave him a "protection" effect (i.e. take the bullet for comrades)
  • McHorn just doubles battle damage; not much I can say about him. Recall that he had very few lines in the film, so this effect is based on rhino charging. 
  • Delgato is piercing damage. After test runs, ZPD members can get suitably large if you can set up properly, so it gives them an outlet to use that added power to hit. 
  • Fangmeyer is technically a mini-CyDra for ZPD and lets you take something out if you can land damage. (This also ties into Delgato's piercing effect to an extent; those two were assigned to the same jobs in the film)
  • Bogo is the ZPD equivalent of BE Alternative, yes, and has negation. Intended as a reference to his mentality ("I'm not taking your crap today")
  • Central Headquarters lets them get powered up, and yes, Special Summon more members if the need arises. From test runs, ZPD members can usually get 600-800 on average if they keep their members on board. 
  • Carrot Pen is basically "copy the effect of a Spell/Trap that you can chain to, and then trigger it later". Supposed to reference the pen being able to capture / play back conversations.
    • Another member suggested placing the chained card underneath, but the only instance of that happening is from anime/manga, and I would prefer not to toy with a concept that only exists there for the time being; revealing it in hand was the only option.
    • Second effect is supposed to function like this: "Send a card that's been revealed by this effect to the Graveyard, then apply that card's effect as this card's for the turn." In this instance, let's say you chain this to Raigeki. When you trigger the (2) effect, you can discard the revealed Raigeki and apply its effects, and that's it. 

http://imgur.com/a/ogdxT

(Picture gallery)

[spoiler=Playstyle/Test notes]

Aside from the Carrot Pen, rest should be pretty straightforward in playstyle and wording. I might add 1-2 cards, but otherwise this should be enough.

Right now, the first eight already form a competent enough Deck with the Fire Formations and other generics that you can consider running. In the early stages, I had considered Bearman for Rank 8 plays, but didn't work out too well. You can run it though, but I haven't found a need for him now. Most of the testing was in pure variants, but you can try to mesh this with other Archetypes. 

----

I've been testing this on YGOPro recently (everything but the pen is coded since that one is recent); I am aware of the fact that the Fire Formations go very well with this Deck, and they can Xyz into Rank 3 (usually Invoker to get the bigger stuff out) / 4 fairly quickly, although there usually isn't much need for the common staples. I will need to mention right away that most of the test runs have been against AI decks (including stuff I've posted here), and those don't always make ideal plays. 

Anyway, you know what to do; rate/CnC/love/hate, etc.

Proper reviews will be repped.

9Cv05cp.png

Nice to see a Zootopia archetype, I really loved that movie, and it looks like you did a good job in designing it. I’m unfortunately not too keen on the generic Beast-Type support, but I’ll do my best to give you a helpful review:

Hopps: Off to a good start, I really like it when people make the main character of a show/movie the core of the deck, but not the boss monster, it can be tempting to make them the powerhouse of the archetype, but as card like “Elemental HERO Stratos” prove, consistency is key. I also really like her Majespecter protection, it fits in with her nature of being small, and able to evade danger with relative ease. Good stuff.

Wilde: I like the first effect quite a bit, on the first turn it’s most likely a +0, while on subsequent turns it’s a +1. The “Stardust Dragon” like effect, except targeting instead of destruction, is also a nice addition, matching how he would always evade any inquiry and escape pretty quickly. It’s a bit of a shame it can’t apply to the whole crew, but it wouldn’t make too much sense lore wise, and I guess targeting protection for the whole crew would be a bit too much.

Clawhauser: Love it, matches the theme of dispatching, and pairs well with Hopps. Also, I had made a paragraph long rant about how this could be looped before I realized that it can’t SS itself, so just thought I’d share that embarrassing event.

McHorn: Pretty standard effect, something I could honestly see being extended to all Beast-Type monsters and still be fair, but still a solid effect for an archetype focused around beatdown, and really fits the character.

Delgato: I mean it’s nice, inflicting piercing damage can actually be pretty helpful when your opponent has a wall that won’t die, like “Kozmo Wickedwitch” which has piss poor defense, but overall it’s a bit situational, so I don’t think it’d be probably be ran at 1, or sided. Though still, seeing as you can search out anything, that wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Fangmeyer: Nice, helps build back field presence if you suffered a nuked board, and that banishing effect is great against Metalfoe/Yang Zings, any Pendulum decks, and ABC too. Also the restriction of it requiring battle damage balances it quite a bit, and gives more reason to run “Delgato” so if they spam out defense position monster to prevent damage, it won’t matter.

Bogo: Well that’s certainly different, requiring a Field Spell in the hand to summon, glad “Hopps” can retrieve the Field Spell from the Graveyard if need be. The effect feels a bit strong though, get 3 of these to the field, and your opponent’s probably going to have a bad time. While it feels a bit balanced by only being able to properly Special Summon each of them once per turn, it’s still a bit worrisome since it’s easily searchable and recoverable.

ZPD Central Headquarters: Nice, I like cards that give a strength in numbers vibe, and with 5 monsters on the field, that’s 1000 ATK for each, and swinging for 5000 extra damage in a turn. I know that’s only if you get 5 to the field, but still, it’s a pretty nice reward. The second effect is amazing, I’m glad it doesn’t retrieve from the Graveyard, as I wouldn’t want to have this and “Wilde” to be able to retrieve “Bogo”. It would be nice if this offered some protection to your monsters though, seeing as it’s supposed to be their base of operations, you’d expect it to be pretty safe.

ZPD Carrot Recorder Pen: Oh wow, this is pretty evil, negate your opponent’s Pot of Cupidity, then use that effect yourself to draw without needing to banish 10 cards, it’s pretty great. Feel like it should possibly limited slightly by having to control “Hopps”, not only because lore, but because as is, your opponent will have to power through your whole field before they can safely activate Spells/Traps. If it was just “Hopps” then they’d be forced to summon a monster, enter their Battle Phase and destroy it (since its protection is amazing), and then try and go off in their Main Phase 2, so even in this situation you’ve dramatically slowed down your opponent.

Overall: A simple but fun beatdown style archetype, I’d definitely play it casually, and maybe even have a go at making a semi-competitive build. The effects are short (excluding Carrot Recorder Pen), to the point, not convoluted, and each feels like they bring something nice to the table that makes them worth running. Maybe a bit too much power here or there, especially with “Bogo” who feels like this archetype's "Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin", but nothing too broken.

(They're technically Beast-Warrior, not Beast. Yeah, they are animals, but anthro ones at that here.)

Well, Hopps is technically the smallest member of the entire force, so wouldn't make sense to give her heavy-duty stats (well, she's minimum 1700/1600 with the field up [alone]). But yeah, searching is based on her tactical abilities to get things done no matter what, plus it lets you recycle. (Only Clawhauser has lower offensive stats than her) But yeah, this is your searcher, so you should be running her in triples.

Yeah, Bogo might be slightly problematic, considering his effect is pretty much generic negation on a 2K body. Could change the limitation text to only permit 1 copy of him at a time. To be fair, original version was that you reveal another "ZPD" monster first instead of the Field Spell, but that didn't work out as well (specifically, coding didn't work), however it would make him less reliant on getting the Field Spell.

With Delgato, I've been telling self to not run him in triples since the most he does is just push for piercing damage if you can overpower the opponent. You can still run him as another name for search/revival/counter for the Field Spell, but that's really about it.

In terms of the Headquarters, it originally had a 3rd effect that would've sealed the opponent from triggering stuff if a ZPD monster battled. But yeah, all-around protection would be nice, since these do rely on getting stuff out quickly to maintain a strong enough presence; otherwise they are fairly average and vulnerable to common forms of removal. In terms of swarming, I have gotten about maybe 3-4 members at once on a good setup (SS Fangmeyer from hand/Grave, summon Hopps, get Field Spell and activate it, SS Clawhauser via Field and then go for a 4th option that isn't Bogo [or you can, do this step before activating the Field])

Don't worry about Clawhauser much; yeah, it happens that you assume that it can loop itself, but in actuality, it summons other members. Wouldn't exactly make sense to summon another copy of himself. To be fair, he didn't have much of a role in the film and first effect is just based on what he can do. The "self-sacrifice" effect is taken from stuff you'd probably expect law enforcement to do (i.e. protect their colleagues or the people/animals [in this case] they serve, even if they put their own lives at risk).

As for the Pen, I've been trying to figure out what would be the best way to incorporate Hopps into the effect; after all, it is hers. The requirement effect could certainly be modified to require her out as opposed to any of the ZPD (yeah, Nick used it for a while; well, only for the apology scene from what I recall; no one else used it). I admit the effect is somewhat convoluted with what it does, but that's about what I could do with a "recording"- esque thing.

Technical note that outside Hopps, Wilde, Clawhauser and Bogo, rest of them didn't have any major role / speaking lines, so whatever's done for McHorn, Delgato and Fangmeyer is just something that would fit their character based on animal species. (I think I mentioned this in the flavor notes)

----

In terms of generic Beast-Warrior support, most of the time, it's basically Fire Formation stuff (Tenki/Tensu for searching / enabling plays; don't really use the others much) and some other options that only really work with certain members. Like I mentioned earlier, you technically can still use Bearman for Rank 8s in here, but doesn't work out with Hopps/Wilde for obvious reasons. Looking over the current stuff, yeah, it's pretty minimal or things they don't exactly have the room to run.

----

For now, modified Bogo and the Carrot Pen with a "only control 1" policy and the Carrot Pen being exclusive to Hopps (well, you can have other members out, but she has to be there [but she should be around most of the time]). I'll have to think over whether/not I want to give Headquarters that third effect I mentioned earlier, or transfer it to another support card. Other stuff may need to be considered.

Also thinking of giving them another monster that can let them attack directly (for half damage), but given the swarm capabilities, I may opt against it (would probably be one of the wolves or an original officer if designed).

For those of you who want the artwork too, here you go: http://imgur.com/a/ogdxT (I'll leave this in the OP for easier access). You should be able to guess which pic goes with what, Central HQ's pic is basically the ZPD building itself. (Yeah, Hopps has two artworks)

• 3 weeks later...

A small update (well, 3 cards anyway). I'll mention some flavor notes alongside the additions.

Byakurou is that direct attacker I considered giving, but thought against it due to Fangmeyer getting another trigger and even half damage would hurt if you could get them set up. But yeah, ZPD technically have a way to bypass larger bosses at this point.

(Other ideas I had in mind, and still considering are: Have it target a ZPD monster and permit it to attack directly, but not the others; OR, I can make it a Honest/Kalut-esque thing and let it power up another ZPD monster to mow down stuff. Leaning towards the former though, but either one should probably work)

This one is a little difficult to say in terms of which character this is, but go to the scene where Bogo is wishing Francine a happy birthday. It's the white wolf in that scene, even though he is nameless. I considered naming it Grizzoli (the other white wolf in the film), but due to conflicting animals with the name, I chose not to. (Movie has them as a wolf, but Crime Files and the Wikia say they are a polar bear).

Pennington (yeah, this is supposed to be Francine, despite her minimal screen time and script) is intended to act like Kagemusha of the Six Samurai (I think that's the one) or Caingorgon for ZPD. I suppose you can consider this the targeting equivalent of Clawhauser (well, barring 100 DEF on his end, the two have inverted stats). I looked on Wikipedia for elephant behavior; I guess protecting your colleagues from Dark Destroyer, Castel or some other common monster removal falls in there somewhere. But yeah, elephants are big animals, hence her stats.

For the sake of argument, assume Francine's last name is Pennington (yeah, she was addressed as Trunkaby, but since there were no other elephants inside the room at the time, just assume it to be as such; cannot be the ones during Nick's graduation [well, we cannot assume that])

ZPD Inspection acts like an anti-search card for the opponent (i.e. you search or draw another card when you're not supposed to, you're losing the resources and whatever strategy you have is exposed). To be fair, I am still skeptical about this, even with the hard OPT and the requirement that you need a ZPD monster out. In a flavor context, you can consider it as the police busting a smuggling operation (opponent adding cards to their hand when they shouldn't be) and seizing their assets (take away a card).

This card isn't as punishing as Dark Law by virtue of it discarding cards and setting up Graveyard triggers, but in other ways, it's a lot harder than he is (you get a look at the opponent's hand and get a choice of what you hit). I originally had this as a Counter Trap, but because of the above reasons, I changed it. Could probably have left it as a Counter, but I don't know. (I would test it, but YGOPro is being screwy lately* and I can't really use Duel Portal on this computer)

* need to configure it to have the card trigger if I have a ZPD monster out and reveal the hand when I use it; removal effect can be borrowed from Dark Law.

Picture-wise, supposed to be Judy looking over Nick's tax returns. (I think the Zootopia Wikia has a screenshot of that instance; the one where she sees that he put all zeroes)

------

Other than that, Archetype should be complete (12/12). Can't really add on more, considering no more named officers (well, at least not ones that are the same animal as existing officers; only ones left are either Higgins or the game ones from Crime Files, and no suitable pics for them exist), and support would be low otherwise. I haven't seen Crime Files or the other books where certain characters may be noted; only the movie itself and the Zootopia handbook.

I'll have the YGOPro stuff posted later, so you guys can play with them for yourselves against the meta / other existing cards. (For now, mostly everything except the Carrot Pen and maybe Inspection once I fix the code; Nick currently has an earlier version of his effect, which is the Majespecter clause that Judy also has.)

Byakurou: I like it, for a battle focused archetype it can be good to pull of direct damage so you can get around some threats. However, it seems it's a bit strong in its current form. Maybe instead if it let you target a different ZPD monster you controlled, and that monster can attack directly for half damage, while this monster can no longer attack this turn, that might be better.

ZPD Officer Pennington: I feel like Clawhauser already has you covered by acting as a damage sponge, but this does cover targeted effects, while he only covers destruction. I guess it's nice to make it such that your opponent can't spin or banish your playmakers, but this feels like it wouldn't really be run in all honesty, just because it does nothing but help redirect targeted effects. Maybe if it offered something more, like a Graveyard effect, or if it worked as a hand trap, to negate the effect of a monster that targets a ZPD monster you control. That way it allows you to build your field during your opponent's turn, and can be a nasty surprise.

ZPD Inspection: Love it, this is the exact amount of power I want a Trap to have. It's basically a slower "Forceful Sentry" that requires a "ZPD" monster, and your opponent to add a card from their deck to their hand. But being able to look at your opponent's hand is powerful, you get to see their Traps, what scales they currently have in their hand, and the strongest play they'll likely be able to make this turn. Discarding a Spell/Trap is arguably even better than shuffling it into the Deck too. The activation condition is great too, because not only does it work in lore wise (needing an officer on the field to observe a suspicious action, in order to open an investigation of their hand), in the meta the first thing players will usually do on their first turn is search their playmaker, Majespecters get Kirin or their Traps, or ABC's use Union Hanger to get their Unions, and this allows you to just say nope, and get rid of those. I wish Konami would learn how to actually make Traps like these, because they're always either overpowered (Dimensional Barrier) or underpowered (The new Shadoll Trap).

Yeah, I was debating on changing Byakurou's effect to be more singular instead of giving the entire force a direct attack effect. New change would work, and should be fine. (For flavor notes, Byakurou translates to "white wolf" in Japanese; yeah, uninspired, but can't really do much. Like I mentioned earlier, this was originally named Grizzoli because of the movie, but conflicts of interest.)

As for Pennington, I can add a Graveyard effect or something; just need to figure out what would work best for it that doesn't duplicate the other stuff. Or yeah, hand traps would be cool. More negation would be good, especially in conjunction with Bogo's general one. (IDK, maybe if she had more of a role in the film, I could have more to base her on other than elephant behavior). 

As for the Trap, yeah, this is intended to deal with heavy search Decks (think every Deck nowadays has some form of Stratos or another method of searching). Heck, it even stops people from using Desires / Cupidity (well, punishes them for it anyway) or any form of draw cards. But yeah, at least you get a choice in WHAT you kill and an idea of what the opponent is planning to do this turn. I suppose I can take some relief in knowing this isn't as generic as Dark Law's own banish effect when the opponent searches. 

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Starting Blurb (IOW, has nothing to do with the review)]

MY. GOOD. NESS. 

I've always wondered when would be the time to actually go back to these sort of deep dives on cards. I mean, I've been on the forum 6 years, save the short year I was busy on Yugico-stuff like this used to be my bread and butter. Problem with this since my five month return, well, is....

1) most of the Archetypes I've created now (support and retrains notwithstanding) are for a novelization I'm doing, and I'm barely even started with it.

2) the ones I have uploaded in that regard are less Archetypes and more clans, like the HEROes before them-41 card doozies that I'm sure will bore people to death long before they finish. I've done booster packs before this to similar reception-might try that method again tho. New blood and all.

But as for the ZPD, it really does seem like less is more: and I'm never too sure if the way I'm going is the way I'm staying, even though I've a card pic folder eons large waiting for me. When you've got 30-40 cards per Archetype, it's hard to review, since you usually cover every angle a card can go into with it-like where's the point of critique? Long and short is, I'm really taken away by the Archetype. HIts all the bases of what an Archetype needs to stand on its own, and keeps it amazingly simple, AND has as many HOPTions as I do fingers on my left hand (so rare as of late.) Really, the review I'm composing for this feels so paltry compared to what several people-especially YOU-have said about it.

That being said, let's begin.

P.S. You need any illustrations on these cards, LET. ME. KNOW. Dead serious. 4 GB of pics collected over 8 years hasn't steered me wrong yet. (tbf, most of those are .png rare foil rewrites....)

[spoiler=ZPD Monster Review]

ZPD Officer - Hopps
Level 3 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Effect

3. MINIMUM. It's Majespecter Cat - Neko on steroids. (sorry for the imagery) Fits the lore perfectly, and has Kozmo Farmgirl stats. This Archetype makes the rounds, this is the card they're hitting first. Surprisingly, though, it's just out the range of most of the ZPD to not be wholly busted. You have no idea how fast I was ready to type out "hello Molmorat, welcome to the Hopps/Fangmeyer barrage" before I noticed the Level difference. Though, the target of this card that I'd normally go for would be the HQ. Summoning ZPDers for free is too good to pass up, even on a Field Spell (#'causeMSTnegates) Maybe the great ZPD HQ-Hopps combination could make plays? Its a Rank 3 a turn, if played right. Hello, Totem Bird.

ZPD Officer - Wilde
Level 3 | EARTH | Beast-Warrior | Effect
1600/1200

Wilde +1s for fun and profit, and proto-Stardusts his way out of target effects (dying breed of effects, but still usable to guard against that contingency. Really, this is also a 3 of, simply because of hand advantage and unbricking. Don't know why more Archetype-specific cards like this don't let you +1 like this on a shuffle, currently busted Kozmotown notwithstanding. Several dozen Archetypes I could think of that'd just need this edge to be competitive No need for that empty-field Summoning, just something to fix the days when your strategy isn't going your way.

That targeting effect, though, feels....a bit off, on a Level 3 monster. Evilswarm Thunderbird, the closest competitor I can think of in this regard, does it to be an elusive 2150 ATK eye blight, but the thought of an opponent purposefully targeting a Level 3 just breaches my suspension of disbelief. Maybe if it offered blanket targeting against the ZPD lineup-yes I know, the errata is about Wilde's elusive nature, but a spot of embellishing on just how that elusiveness could work would do wonders for the card. Especially since it's part of an Archetype with no (Extra Deck, ahem) bosses. 

Good as is, tho, just my two pounds.

ZPD Officer - Clawhauser
1400/1900

We keep going on with these minimum-of-3 cards, I'll start asking for apprenticeship with you. Seriously, this is becoming like Lunalights (save for Purple Butterfly, but exception that proves rules). 

Summons out another one-which, if its a Clawhauser clone, can do it again-that you, Vanishing Lanius?-and serves as one-off protection for ZPD in the same vein as Kozmo Landwalker. So fieldwiping's not happening with him out, which is (in Nyx the Avatar voice) niiiiiiice. 1900 DEF also makes sure it's not the easiest thing to run over. So good all around.

ZPD Officer - McHorn
1800/1500

ZPD Officer - Delgato
1700/1300

(Reviewing them as a set because...yeah.)

Both these guys. SO SIMPLE, YET SO STRONG-how is McHorn not a boss? OH right, no protection. Still, doubled battle damage is amazing, especially in tandem with Delgato. In fact, if I have one and the HQ-and I've somehow run through all 3 copies of Hopps like she's going out of style-I'm bringing out the other with this effect and running in. The HQ'll make sure they're going in with 2200 and 2100 ATK-MINIMUM

With doubled battle damage. And piercing.

Two sentences, and I'm already hooked. 2 of each, though. No need to be too ham in these two's regards. Sure DRancia and Bullhorn'd have something to say about searching and sniping through them too. And this two'll DEFINITELY make Wild Nature's Release a doozy to go though-another thing Lunalights shine with.

ZPD Officer - Fangmeyer
1700/1200

Didn't I talk about Fangmeyer's utility before? WELL I'M DOING IT AGAIN SO THERE.

(also, I know this is the card I should be talking about with Delgado, but he runs better in tandem with McHorn's ability, and Fangmeyer works with...really, any Level 4, so...)

First effect. Needs. Some. NEUTERING. A Level 4 with a free un-chainable Summon on a clean field from hand or Graveyard screams for abuse. As for the second effect, going by your verdict...

Fangmeyer is technically a mini-CyDra for ZPD and lets you take something out if you can land damage. (This also ties into Delgato's piercing effect to an extent; those two were assigned to the same jobs in the film.)

...yeah, this may be a bit of a stretch, Armstrong. CyDra was CyDra because it offered a new range of power in a format where any easily summoned monster (e.g. Level 4 or lower) couldn't be above 2000 without some serious drawback. S'the same reason I bristle at people calling every Trap-negating monster the new Jinzo when it was the reason most decks weren't chock full of Trap Cards like they used to be before Jinzo's inception ('til CoD and the rise of Trap Monsters).

Fangmeyer simply offers you a Lev 4 on the field for free. Norden, Snow and Giant Sentry of Stone has had that market cornered long before him, but didn't do it for free because of R4NK being a plausible nightmare. Just feel this should take that in mind, too. Destruction's cool though, making this a good complement to a stacked field, which is what my first major suggestion would be on one of your cards. Just make it like Chain Dog-summon when you have two or more ZPDs and you have a way to put up some adequate sniping of the opponent's board.

ZPD Chief - Bogo
2000/1000

Really, a great boss. Comes in on the revelation of the FIeld Spell, and Infinities when on the board, while a uniqueness clause keeps it from being an insurmountable pain. Am a tad concerned that this can be coupled with other such walking floodgates, tho, but that's on the other walking floodgates. Probably why I despised the concept from the getgo with...I wanna say Stardust Dragon was the first offender, but I could be wrong.

But since we're here already, going with the standard floodgatery is good with me. Keeps up a wonderful Archetype with a power player. That can get up to 3000 with the HQ that Summoned it. And possibly pierce. And possibly pierce for doubled battle damage...

ZPD Officer - Byakurou
1600/1600

...and now can possibly attack directly. Sweetness.

Y'know, I wouldn't be as wary with this card if not for BOTH McHorn and Delgato. Attacking directly PLUS piercing PLUS double battle damage? Yes, I do know, McHorn's effect only goes off in battle, but this actually opens up a strategy for maximum damage-attacking directly with the weaker ZPDers, while punishing the opponent's Defense Position monsters with Delgato and their low-ATK foes with McHorn.

Feels almost like how the Watts should have been and what the Lyrical Lysiatras are-something that works off multiple hits of damage-and in Fangmeyer's case, triggers off powerful effects in kind. Yay! 

ZPD Officer - Pennington
1800/1400

And finally we have this fella. I'm actually okay with this card, being able to redirect attacks toward his 1800-2800 face (the HQ, you see). But-and now I'm thinking about Wilde in this regard-maybe you could have the targeting effect redirect to any other "ZPD" monster you control-like, say a certain Level 3 ZPD that negates those effects, and evacuates itself until the End Phase? Then Wilde's effect has some more viability, so long as he is with Pennington.

Regardless, these fella are wonderful testament to the moive they were inspiired by, and I thank you for bringing them all to my attention. I haven't even seen the movie yet, and this has done more to make me want to fix that than any trailer I could imagine (well, except for the sloth trailer, but, that was obvious.)

And now for the backline.

[spoiler=ZPD Spell/Trap Review]

ZPD Central Headquarters
Spell | Field

So now we have Enpowerment on crack ZPD Central to work with. A maximum 1000 point stat boost for the ZPD makes BDS a giddy fella, and a free Summon for the ZPDs a turn certainly makes up for their relatively light self-Summon conditions. Tag that in with the ability of go for doubled damage, pierce and attack a player directly, and the ZPDs go up a tier with this alone. Just have to do something to ensure some protection for this card OH WAIT BOGO AND RECORDER PEN DO THAT ALREADY. Moving on.

ZPD Carrot Recorder Pen
Spell | Continuous

Demands the archetype's chief tutor to activate: Fine, considering she can bring it up. Toadally (get it) vacuums up 1 opponent's Spell/Trap Card a turn, but will most likely be used on the Spells. Do think this should be limited to Normal Spell/Trap Cards, though, because it gets iffy on the concept of Continuous Spell/Trap Cards (Darklords and Diamond Dude recognized this.) And being able to use the effect of the card on either turn, especially in conjunction (junction) with Bogo, feels a tad dicey to use without a bit more significant drawback, even despite the fact that it...well...

Demands the archetype's chief tutor to activate: Fine, considering she can bring it up. (and now I'm quoting myself. Didn't think it be this short a trip for me to hit rock bottom again, Sakura.)

ZPD Inspection
Trap | Normal

And finally, an Archetype-reliant quick-play Confiscation. Triggers on a card search through which every deck and their grandmother does, and can hit a crucial piece of the puzzle. Don't be too constrained by how Dark Law-like the effect may be-the card is great as is, and quite frankly, Confiscation, thanks to the propensity of Grave triggers and/or the constant presence of Spell floodgates (coughcoughToadallyAwesomehackwheezeTitanicGalaxy) can be back at 1.

And yes, I know that hand bombing is usually frowned on anyway, so it pains me to say this-I mean, even Dark Law can flounder too-there are several banish-trigger Archetypes around as well, Shiranui and Kozmo chief amongst them.

Long and short: This Archetype's so amazing I think it could eclipse its EARTH Beast-Warrior-Type counterparts in Zoodiac (Molmorat be praised.) Keep up the awesome work. 

To be fair, I was going to give them an in-Archetype Honest / Kalut or something to deal with really big bosses, but advising against that because as-is, they already can handle themselves, given test runs against the YGOPro decks (even the 3K Blue-Eyes spam, although the computer misplays half the time, so I shouldn't say they're viable). 

Out of fairness, I usually end up searching the Field off Hopps and then play it for massive combos (generally SS Clawhauser and have him get another guy out). Yeah, she's the main part of the Deck (well, she's the main character for the whole Zootopia franchise), so you need to go 3 with her (or the maximum). 

As for Fangmeyer, I could just change it to summoning from the hand instead, but idea for him is to at least have some way to have one of your members out, especially with the power creep. Oh right, and I still haven't modified Byakurou to just permit one member to hit directly. (That will be changed). 

Thematically, I don't really have a ED boss for them (wouldn't really fit); part of their spam strategy does revolve around Invoker (if you use Hopps/Wilde) or a Rank 4 equivalent for Beast & Beast-Warriors (you may reference it as Numerix-092 or Number 71 in AGM). I haven't really needed to Rank 4 much except in certain cases.

----

As for images, I have them already (should be in the Imgur link in main post); haven't modified it lately, but they're around. Suppose I could link from my personal Wikia, as I have uploaded them there (although some are still in their original forms). 

Archived