The Soaring Swordfisher (Mount THIS On Your Wall)

Black D'Sceptyr

the_soaring_swordfisher_by_bdsceptyr-dal

[spoiler=The Soaring Swordfisher: Errata]

WATER/Machine-Type Effect Monster/Level 10/3000 ATK/1500 DEF

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding 1 other Machine-Type monster with 3000 or more ATK from your hand. This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its ATK for damage calculation. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up Xyz Monster you control, except a Machine-Type monster; Special Summon 1 Machine-Type Xyz Monster with the same Rank as that target from your Extra Deck, by using it as the Xyz Material. It loses 1500 ATK.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Buy a man a Mark-10 Soaring Swordfisher fisherman hydroplane/flying corral, and he'll be sick of fish within a day!

A retiree's best dream and a  marine biologist's worst nightmare, the Soaring Swordfisher makes its kill by making low-long gliding passes over large rivers, scooping up  dozens of fish into its processing maw, before taking to the air again. The water it picks up is fed into-its complex steam powered propulsion system, allowing it to scour the seas for as long as it may please. And with all the fish that the picker doesn't choose for its meal being harmlessly fed into its own self-contained, pressure-locked aquarium in the thick anterior hull, the S2 flying corral can provide a fresh buffet for anyone, anyplace, anyday.

Be sure to take a look at our alternate products in the Superdreadnought Number Emporium and Skypalace Rental Agency, if you wish to know the best trade routes to make the most of your Soaring Swordfisher! And don't forget-call now, and you'll get a free casing of Ravenous Tarantula Woodwork Preservers to make sure your vessel can go for the long game without being eaten away by lowly pests! Remember, when it comes to clearing houses, Ravenous Tarantulas are so good, you swear it was a (Seven) Sin! Callers are standing by!

Order your S2 flying corral today! Courtesy of BlaDeS of Change Mechanics, where the reviews and revelry arrive in abundance!

Your friendly neighborhood BDS, signing off.

I mean, the idea is pretty cool, I could see this being used in Rank 10 Trains. Works as another easily summonable Level 10 to go along with "Night Express Knight", it's just unfortunate it's not EARTH, so no Special Summoning "Heavy Freight Train Derricrane". However, one nice things this allows you to do is go into Croissant Spider, then detach this for some nice nuke effects, and go into any Rank 10 by using the effect, like Dora or Gustav Max. You could also rank up into "How the Hell did the TCG not Censor Your Name Spider", wait a turn, use its effect, and go into a Great Magnus with 4 material, which while unlikely, is pretty cool if you can pull it off.

Woah. Rank 10 Trains branched out.

You can discard 1 other Level 10 monster, Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If it does, apply its DEF for damage calculation, also if it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 non-Machine-Type Xyz Monster you control; Special Summon 1 Machine-Type Xyz Monster with the same Rank as that target from your Extra Deck, by using it as the Xyz Material.

Summoning conditions: either you put a colon in there and it starts a chain, or you put parentheses and it doesn't. Can't do both.

Since all the other rank 10 fodder can be dead under various situations, this is a huge consistency booster for the train deck which also acts as a very easily summoned 3k beatstick/wall who doesn't even nerf itself if summoned the easy way. Even if you can't Xyz, it can hold down the field very well all by itself.

The rank-up effect is pretty iffy. Say you summon this card, then go into Gustav, detach this to snipe for 2000. Normally that Gustav isn't going to be doing you much good, except as beater, but now you can swap it out immediately for Dora, giving you protection for next turn. Summoning Gustav or Dora is supposed to be a trade-off, but now, apparently, we can be Zodiac Beasts. Also, it can bring out Galaxy Destroyer way more easily than it was ever meant to be. It's not totally broken since it doesn't preserve the xyz monster's materials, but still look into nerfing it.

Also maybe make it less of a huge easily summonable beatstick, or at least remove the piercing.

Summoning conditions: either you put a colon in there and it starts a chain, or you put parentheses and it doesn't. Can't do both.

Thanks for the pointer, that part of the Summoning errata's been a bit dicey to me as of late. Will be fixing in a couple of minutes.

The rank-up effect is pretty iffy. Say you summon this card, then go into Gustav, detach this to snipe for 2000. Normally that Gustav isn't going to be doing you much good, except as beater, but now you can swap it out immediately for Dora, giving you protection for next turn. Summoning Gustav or Dora is supposed to be a trade-off, but now, apparently, we can be Zodiac Beasts. Also, it can bring out Galaxy Destroyer way more easily than it was ever meant to be. It's not totally broken since it doesn't preserve the xyz monster's materials, but still look into nerfing it.

Also maybe make it less of a huge easily summonable beatstick, or at least remove the piercing.

Swordfisher only grants that Rank effect if the original Attribute of the monster it targets first ISN'T a Machine-so no Gustav Max into Super Dora. And considering that G.D. will only get its effect off ONCE, I think this balances out fine. Besides, that wasn't even the main issue I originally had with the Swordfisher (another reason I had it be a WATER monster, to keep it from being so easily tutored by the Trainyard, but still able to be used by the Schedule.)

My MAIN thing that I was worried about this enabling was Chaos Dyson Sphere. Imagine the Borg Cube of Xyzes running off a Swordfisher play. One that simply assimilates any monster it battles and burns like crazy. NIGHTMARES. FOR DAYS. 

But yeah, I'll see about changing up Swordfisher to balance it. Maybe it's Defensive attack should factor its ATK instead of its DEF, like another WATER monster of similar Defensive assault (coughCocytuscough). 

Thanks again for the reviews, Shadowliepard. Really appreciated.

Swordfisher only grants that Rank effect if the original Attribute of the monster it targets first ISN'T a Machine-so no Gustav Max into Super Dora.

Oh! Heheh yeah.

Even so, the Galaxy Destroyer interaction is still a valid concern. You usually only need to get its effect off once, and then smash your opponent with a 5k beater. You use it to clear out backrow then push for game with impunity - not many decks should require you to use its effect twice in a row.

I've never been too impressed with Chaos Dyson. Having to attack a monster means you have to wait until the battle phase to remove something problematic, and you're exposing yourself to all kinds of battle traps. I guess the non-targeting non-destroying removal does count for something, but the burn starts at 600, it has no built-in protection, and it's just single removal as opposed to the potential instant game-finisher Galaxy Destroyer is, so I count it as less of a threat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived