Eldritch

The Nyx Avatar

At first glance, you might've asked "Where's the Main Deck monster cards"?". And you'd be right. The Trap Cards are the monsters. Not exactly like Paleozoics, as you first activate them and then later Special Summon them as monsters that state "(This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card.)"; whereas these, you just activate and Special Summon them, while still treating them as Trap Cards. Each of the Trap Cards have a Grave-triggering effect, and some even have effects that discard cards, so it can help to trigger said effects. Though, beyond that, the only other theme they share in common is their Type and that they're all Continuous Trap Cards. Their name and appearance comes from the term "eldritch" (weird and sinister or ghostly.) Not exactly "Eldritch Abominations", as I felt that would have been a stretch.

I intend to make more and will edit/fix them if needed.

[spoiler=Show Spell Cards]

B9IBoX6.jpg

LORE:Add 1 "Eldritch" card with a different name from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase, while you control no monsters: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; draw 1 card. You cannot Summon monsters the turn you activate this effect.

J9nWfW3.jpg

LORE:Trap Cards that are monsters gain 500 ATK and DEF. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up "Eldritch" card with a different name and 1 card your opponent controls; destroy the first target and banish the second target. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, and if 1 of them is a Continuous Trap Card, Set it; then return the other cards to the top of the Deck in any order.

KgOnoF3.jpg

LORE:Switch control of 1 "Eldritch" monster with 1 monster your opponent controls (you choose). During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your Graveyard to target 1 monster you control (except an "Eldritch" monster); halve its ATK and DEF, and if you do: Special Summon 1 "Eldritch Token" (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 100/DEF 100).

DtzrqZG.jpg

LORE:Once per turn, if an "Eldritch" card is Set: You can activate it the turn it is Set. Trap Cards that are monsters cannot be banished.

tF66VVc.jpg

LORE:(This card is always treated as an "Eldritch" card)

Banish 1 "Eldritch Void" and 1 other "Eldritch" Trap Card from your Graveyard or return 1 Level 10 Synchro Monster you control to the Extra Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Eldritch King” Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) During your Main Phase (except during the turn this card was sent): You can banish this card from your Graveyard; place 1 Yellow Sign Counter on a face-up monster on the field. (If a monster with a Yellow Sign Counter attacks, the opponent of the controller takes control of it).

aBq4XuR.jpg

Banish 1 "Eldritch Void" and 1 other "Eldritch" Trap Card from your Graveyard or return 1 Level 10 Synchro Monster you control to the Extra Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Eldritch Chaos” Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) During your Main Phase (except during the turn this card was sent): You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Eldritch Chaos" monster from your Graveyard, but it cannot activate its effects this turn.

VGa83bB.jpg

Banish 1 "Eldritch Void" and 1 other "Eldritch" Trap Card from your Graveyard or return 1 Level 10 Synchro Monster you control to the Extra Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Eldritch Priest" Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) During your Main Phase (except during the turn this card was sent): You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 monster from either player's Graveyard to your side of the field, and if you do, it is treated as an "Eldritch" Fiend-Type monster. You must control an "Eldritch" Synchro Monster to activate this effect.

[spoiler=Show Trap Cards]

UModK36.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 2300/DEF 2000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) You can discard 1 card; halve the ATK of 1 face-up monster on the field. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Continuous Trap Card in your Graveyard with a different name; Set it in 1 of your unoccupied Spell & Trap Card Zones. You can only activate each effect of "Eldritch Hound" once per turn.

d3EFWBc.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 0/DEF 2800). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Your opponent cannot target another face-up monster as an attack target, or target them with card effects. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 monster you control; it gains 1000 ATK and DEF until your next Standby Phase.

QtMsc4Z.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If thid card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can Set 1 "Eldritch" Trap Card directly from your Deck. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can make the ATK and DEF of 1 face-up monster on the field 0.

hOavXrh.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 2450/DEF 1900). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) While you control another face-up "Eldritch" monster with a different name, this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Eldritch" Spell/Trap Card with a different name from your Deck to your hand.

oTYz0jV.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 1550/DEF 1550). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Once per turn: You can discard 1 card to target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; banish it. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can send 1 Continuous Trap Card with a different name from your Deck to the Graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Eldritch Tentacles" once per turn.

h65v4MA.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 1900/DEF 2250). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can equip the destroyed monster to this card (instead of sending it to the Graveyard). While equipped, this card gains ATK equal to half the original ATK of the equipped monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of it until your opponent's next End Phase.

EzrCsMF.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/Tuner/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Up to twice per turn: You can discard 1 card; this card gains 1000 ATK and DEF for each card discarded by this effect. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 of your banished "Eldritch" cards to your hand.

AGZSpx0.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 900/DEF 2600). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard. If the card sent by this effect is a Trap Card: You can switch this card's original ATK and DEF. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

Lsq3EX3.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 400/DEF 100). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) You can send 1 Trap Card from your Deck to your Graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Eldritch Glider" once per turn. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can activate 1 Set Continuous Trap Card on your side of the field.

wpc7yAx.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 1700/DEF 700). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Once per turn: You can discard 1 card from your hand to target 1 monster on the field; destroy it. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can send 1 "Eldritch" Spell Card from your Deck to the Graveyard.

HbQAkcO.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 300/DEF 2200). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) Once per turn: You can banish 1 Continuous Trap Card from your Graveyard; add 1 card with the same name from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 of your banished cards into your Deck.

slkbmlj.jpg

LORE:Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fiend-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 2500/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) This card loses 300 ATK for each monster you control (except this card). If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can send 1 "Eldritch" card with a different name from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can draw 1 card. You can only activate each effect of "Eldritch Avian" once per turn.

[spoiler=Show Synchro Monster Cards]

gf9gyhg.jpg

LORE:1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card was Synchro Summoned using "Eldritch" cards as Synchro Materials, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Continuous Trap Cards can be activated the turn they are Set. If this card leaves the field: You can Set 1 Continuous Trap Card from your hand or Graveyard to 1 of your unoccupied Spell & Trap Card Zones.

J75ej2N.jpg

If this card was Synchro Summoned using "Eldritch" cards as Synchro Materials, this card cannot be destroyed or banished by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn: You can send 1 Trap Card from your hand to the Graveyard; Set 1 Continuous Trap Card with a different name directly from your Deck. If this card leaves the field: You can activate 1 of your Set Cards.

oDzGlPn.jpg

If this card was Synchro Summoned using "Eldritch" cards as Synchro Materials, this card is unaffected by your opponent's monster effects. The original ATK and DEF of this card are equal to the ATK of the highest ATK monster your opponent controls (except "Eldritch Chaos"). Once per turn: You can send 1 Trap Card from your hand or face-up from your side of the field to the Graveyard to target 1 monster on the field or in either player's Graveyard; this card gains that monster's effects until your next Standby Phase. If this card leaves the field: You can send 1 card from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard.

YSOfldz.jpg

If this card was Synchro Summoned using "Eldritch" cards as Synchro Materials, this card is unaffected by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 Life Points; increase this card's ATK and DEF by 1000 until your next Standby Phase. If this card leaves the field: You can pay 2000 Life Points; take control of 1 monster your opponent controls, and if you do, it is treated as an "Eldritch" Fiend-Type monster.

Well I like the cards, although there are monsters like this, there isn't really an actual cohesive archetype for all of them. I do have a few questions though.

• Eldritch Uprising: I think it should be  "except the turn it was sent to the Graveyard" or at least "only 1 Eldritch Uprising per turn" as it is now you could triple rota and triple upstart. (that was a thing at one point I know, but at least it was 2 cards)
  • Eldritch Influence: it says 1 card, so not just switching a monster? and you get to choose what card of your opponent you take or do they choose?
  • Eldritch Temple: Why not have it only be able to activate Eldritch traps? otherwise it may become a durandal, ultimaya, quasar rape build. (It may be that just because its effect though
  • Eldritch Glider: is it setting a card that's already on the field or that's in your hand to your side of the field 

Everything else is solid.

Well I like the cards, although there are monsters like this, there isn't really an actual cohesive archetype for all of them. I do have a few questions though.

• Eldritch Uprising: I think it should be  "except the turn it was sent to the Graveyard" or at least "only 1 Eldritch Uprising per turn" as it is now you could triple rota and triple upstart. (that was a thing at one point I know, but at least it was 2 cards)
  • Eldritch Influence: it says 1 card, so not just switching a monster? and you get to choose what card of your opponent you take or do they choose?
  • Eldritch Temple: Why not have it only be able to activate Eldritch traps? otherwise it may become a durandal, ultimaya, quasar rape build. (It may be that just because its effect though
  • Eldritch Glider: is it setting a card that's already on the field or that's in your hand to your side of the field 

Everything else is solid.

Uprising: I figured the conditions for it would suffice. But regardless, I've edit it to not activate the same turn it was sent.

Influence: Edited to now only switch to monsters.

Temple: Mainly so you'd be able to use it with other Trap Cards that can be Special Summoned as monsters. However, I've now changed it to only "Eldritch" cards.

Glider: It doesn't Set them; it activates them.

Interesting concept, I like the idea of a deck completely wihout (what is commonly seen as) monsters…

• Eldrich Gathering: I do not understand what happens if multiple of the excavated cards are continous traps.
  • The King in Yellow: The effect of the Yellow Sign Counter is interesting, but will propably not activate, because your opponent won't attack when he knows that that would cost him the monster. Ergo, you could as well say that it cannot attack (altough I like it this way. Maybe you could say that the control is switched after the damage step, so the opponent at least may have some possible reason to attack).
  • Generally: I think the main problem of the archetype is that you can get a large number of monsters very quickly without paying any tribute. Thus, you could e.g. set 5 Eldritchs in your first turn, and in the second turn already summon up to 2 of the eldritch synchros, or, if you have no tuners, any rank 5 Xyz. Meaning, IMO, there should propably be something to make up for summoning level 5 monsters without tribute and as many as you want (apart from waiting a turn after setting them). Apart from that, however, I really like the cards. By the way, are they inspired by Cthulhu?

<p>

Interesting concept, I like the idea of a deck completely wihout (what is commonly seen as) monsters…

• Eldrich Gathering: I do not understand what happens if multiple of the excavated cards are continous traps.
  • The King in Yellow: The effect of the Yellow Sign Counter is interesting, but will propably not activate, because your opponent won't attack when he knows that that would cost him the monster. Ergo, you could as well say that it cannot attack (altough I like it this way. Maybe you could say that the control is switched after the damage step, so the opponent at least may have some possible reason to attack).
  • Generally: I think the main problem of the archetype is that you can get a large number of monsters very quickly without paying any tribute. Thus, you could e.g. set 5 Eldritchs in your first turn, and in the second turn already summon up to 2 of the eldritch synchros, or, if you have no tuners, any rank 5 Xyz. Meaning, IMO, there should propably be something to make up for summoning level 5 monsters without tribute and as many as you want (apart from waiting a turn after setting them). Apart from that, however, I really like the cards. By the way, are they inspired by Cthulhu?
For Gathering, what is supposed to happen is that you're supposed to set 1 of them.

Not really inspired by Cthulhu. Only one or two of these are directly tied to Cthulhu (Eldritch Priest and Eldritch King).

Have you played Eldritch Horror before?

I can see a lot of themes you could use here.

He probably has, but wait for him to confirm.

Another thing though; you need to post your thoughts on the cards Nyx has made so far. (You can ask this question, but it must come with the appropriate critique). Look at the Advanced Clause for more details (section rules at the top of the singles section)

He probably has, but wait for him to confirm.

Another thing though; you need to post your thoughts on the cards Nyx has made so far. (You can ask this question, but it must come with the appropriate critique). Look at the Advanced Clause for more details (section rules at the top of the singles section)

I've read the advanced clause now; I refrained from critiquing because I don't know how much the OP knows about Eldritch Horror. Anyway, I think a field spell which spawns "Edritch" token monsters works better than trap monsters. The field spell would help in keeping track of the Omen using counters. During each end phase, you could incorporate an effect which is similar to a reckoning which causes loads of effects to go off based on the Omen counters and Eldritch monsters on the field. The Ancient Ones could be summoned through tributing a certain number of Eldritch monsters while there are a certain number of Omen counters on the field.

Archived