What's your real name?

Fusion X. Denver

Tell us your real name and, to avoid one-word posts, your feelings about it. Do you love your name, wish you had a different name, do you know any other people with your name? And whatever else.

My name's Tim. I'm cool with it, the only real hang-up is sometimes people will call me Tom by mistake. Including my dad...

One of my best friends is also named Tim. And growing up, there would usually be one other Tim in high school, college, work, etc. But only one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My name is located in my signature, and not gonna lie it has caused some confusion in the past; at locals, since we have like half a dozen of people with the same name in our community. I remember when someone said "Matt", we asked which one because it wasn't clear who they were referring to hence why we refer to all Matts in ur community as their last names.

I won't use my birth name, obviously.

A lot of people think I'll be changing my name to Alice but I'm actually going to choose Beatrice. I have a lot of reasons for it, preferring how it sounds among those, of course. It has a lot of meaning and Beatrice's character in Umineko is a character I've related to more and on a deeper level than any previous entity in my life. Note I haven't changed my name in a long time and even bought a member group for this name. So yeah, it's basically a final choice as I get very close to the day I can actually change it.

I don't know anyone else with the new name I've chosen, but it seemed like every female weeaboo was called Alice which was extremely annoying.

Gabriel, or Gabe for short. At first I thought it was pretty cool that my parents named me after the angel in the Bible, then I became atheist so a bit of irony seeped in there. Don't really care or give much thought to that anymore (I was only reminded about it after the longest time because of this thread), I just like the name.

Are we including last names? I dunno if we're doing that here, it'd add a bit more to my post.

My name's Risa, which was honestly pretty annoying more than amusing for me since I became the butt of jokes for years even in my workplace, though it kinda ended up shaping me in some ways for the better too.

Still tho it's a nice name, although the reasoning my parent gave me that name was dubious at best and had I could be bothered to do it, I would've changed my name into something better years ago. It's just too much of a hassle now.

My real name is Dorian.  I don't know a lot of people that share my name, so I assume it's uncommon, but not rare.  I really like my name.  Though it makes me laugh when people mispronounce it.  The best part however is when my cousins and uncles and I all get together in the same room.  They can never get our names right when they want to call a single person out for something.

Dorian

Donald

Darius

Darrel

DJ

Dejanae

It's hilarious.

My name is Joseph, as just about everyone knows. I am named after the biblical figure who provided the tomb for Jesus, so that's kinda cool I guess.

My last name is Peterson, a pretty common name for one who is Norwegian.

Overall my name is honestly hella boring, but I have made it my own at this point. A decent amount of my friends call me Joe, but I think that is because they are lazy.

My real name is Dorian.  I don't know a lot of people that share my name, so I assume it's uncommon, but not rare.  I really like my name.  Though it makes me laugh when people mispronounce it.  The best part however is when my cousins and uncles and I all get together in the same room.  They can never get our names right when they want to call a single person out for something.

Dorian

Donald

Darius

Darrel

DJ

Dejanae

It's hilarious.

I can think of one thing that shares your entire name. Like, all of it. Or at least I all I know of your full name. 

My name is Gregory, but I gotten used to being called Gregg and spelling it that way. My mom grew up on Gregg St, which is what she named me after. So, I even took after writing and spelling my name in that exact manner.

My English name, David, was chosen randomly. I still remember somehow, when I was in kindergarten, and it was after a meal or something, my parents came up with like three(?) choices for me to pick from as a name to go by. They also mispronounced David as "Davy". Anyway, four-year-old me just sorta picked "Davy" and found out later it's "David". Now it's on my official documents since it's easier having an English name.

Anyway, my Chinese name has more meaning.

My Chinese given name consists of the characters for "cosmos" and "Chinese". Cosmos was chosen because some Chinese families have a list written generations ago for a common character shared by children in that generation and my Dad's family had such a tradition. Also cosmos implies some sort of grandeur so my mother's side of the family liked that, too. "Chinese" was picked because we were immigrating and my parents didn't want me to forget my heritage. However, my sister's name is "cosmos" and "maple" cuz she was born here in Canada so I guess the original intent for the last character has changed.

Oh, also my last name is "Summer" which totally means I'm descended from the mythical first Chinese dynasty and you should treat me like I'm some sort of royalty.

My name is Brian, which is... not that common which is nice, but I don't like it that much. It's not bad enough to bother changing and I don't care really, but it doesn't have much pizzaz to it.

Fun fact my brother's name is Brandon and we both keep getting called Brian.

Oh also my siblings actually chose my first and middle (Adam) name.

You can find my first name in my sig under my Friend Code, but otherwise it's Jason. Not sure why parents chose it, but I'm fine with it as-is. (All I know about its origin is that it comes from a hero in Greek mythology, so guess that works for me). Think I've probably mentioned my real name a few times in passing, but now you know.

It's a relatively common name, considering I've had a few classmates who shared my first name (either the same spelling, or with a "y") and I know a few other people outside school with it. Come to think of it, I think there is another member here who has the version with a "y" in it.

----
Keeping last name private for now, because I have mixed feelings about it at times. I'll just mention that it's Chinese (because that's my ethnicity).

To be fair though, there have been two members (albeit in the distant past) who have guessed it correctly.

My name's some weird third worlder thing that's hard to pronounce and it doesn't sound very elegant. Don't particularly like it but I haven't thought about changing it, would feel bad for my parents. The name people generally call me in real life is a little better but not a whole lot. It sounds like some weird juice brand even though it's based off a comic book character (dad's a westaboo).

Angel Moreno Rea

Angel is pretty common knowledge, it means messenger or sent by god.

Moreno is in Spanish, this last name pretty much means brunette, though with a male connotation, otherwise it'd be "Morena" which I don't think that last name exists. Moreno is one of those Mexican last names that are so common you could probably fill a city with the amount of people in the country that have it.

Rea is somewhat rare though I've seen people with variations of it. Apparently this one can mean "deer" or "shy". I also tried tracing it one day and it seems to be Scottish in origin, which is.... weird.

I'm pretty happy with my name overall.
I rarely ever mention my first last name but it prevents people being able to make "real angel" puns/jokes/whatever.

Christopher

Don't have much attachment to my middle name as I never knew who the relative it was named after, it is the same as my dad's first name but not that close to him either. Depending on what I sort of switch between my mum's last name (use it on Facebook) and my dad's (which I use on Twitter, and for my bank account and tech) so probably not going to actually change it as it'd be a hassle. Probably not going to change my first name as I'm fine with it and no other names sort of stand out to me.

Gabriel, or Gabe for short. At first I thought it was pretty cool that my parents named me after the angel in the Bible, then I became atheist so a bit of irony seeped in there. Don't really care or give much thought to that anymore (I was only reminded about it after the longest time because of this thread), I just like the name.

Are we including last names? I dunno if we're doing that here, it'd add a bit more to my post.

Hi Gabby. That is your name now.

Noel. Since I'm born on Christmas.

Oh, also my last name is "Summer" which totally means I'm descended from the mythical first Chinese dynasty and you should treat me like I'm some sort of royalty.

My mum shares the same surname, and has often mentioned that connection to the first dynasty of China.

Archived