[Leaderboard] CuriousHeartless vs Black D'Sceptyr (Cards Up)

CuriousHeartless

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply

•Best of 3 votes, or most votes by deadline wins.

•All voters must elaborate on their votes.

•Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they refuse the vote.

•You are permitted to vote C if you do not feel that either card deserves to win by virtue of design.

• Cards must be PM'd to me, preferably written.

•Non-Written cards will be converted into written format to ensure anonymity.

• Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.

• In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

• The deadline for entries is 2 days after accepting a challenger.

•The contest ends 3 days after the cards are uploaded.

• In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.

• All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

A Lightray Monster

[spoiler=Card A]Lightraynbow Dragon

LIGHT/Dragon-Type Effect Monster/Level 10/4000 ATK/0 DEF

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If you have 6 or less banished LIGHT monsters, while this card is in your hand or Graveyard and you control no monsters: You can banish other LIGHT monsters from your hand, field or Graveyard so the total number of your banished LIGHT monsters is exactly 7: Special Summon this card. Cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's Special Summoned monster: Destroy that monster, and if you do, you can shuffle 1 banished LIGHT monster into the Deck, OR add 1 of your banished "Lightray" monsters to your hand.

[spoiler=Card B]

Lightray Simorgh

LIGHT

Level 8

Winged Beast/Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (From your hand) by banishing 2 LIGHT monsters from your Graveyard and cannot be Special Summoned in other ways. If your opponent activates a Spell/Trap card: They lose 800 LP.

2700 ATK/1000 DEF

Card A seems like an easy boss for late game Light Rays, especially as it allows itself to be resummoned by setting the number of banished monsters. My main problem with the card is how easily it is removed, despite the potential outs it can make. It can't get over Chaos MAX, for example, and has no armades clause to prevent your opponent Mirror Forcing in some way. It doesn't even have an on-removal effect. It's not a terrible card, but it barely buffs Lightrays.

Card B is slightly easier to get out, but its effect leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, sure, a Flare Metal Burn effect is kinda cool, but the fact that it works on Spell/Traps only and is activated lowers it a lot. It's a okay card to side in some decks, I guess, especially as it doesn't require Lightrays to be functional, but it's contributions are minimal. It's stats aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

I was hoping for some more support, some buffing of their weakness, and, despite both cards being not so good, Card A provides an okay out and supports the archetype a little more, so it gets my vote.

Card A requires that you have no monsters up to Special Summon it, but depending on setup, you can get this out quickly. But yeah, while it does run over most of the common bosses seen nowadays, as Dova mentioned, it cannot run over Chaos Max except by suiciding itself. Yeah, it can retrieve used Lightrays, especially stuff like Gearfried, Sorcerer and Daedulus (well, those are the ones that have said Nomi conditions) or other banish fodder you might've thrown out with Grepher or SSing something else. At the very least, it doesn't care if the monsters have different names and its own conditions set up for Sorcerer and Madoor's summoning.

Card B isn't bad, but yeah, it only burns on Spell/Trap Card activation. I suppose this would screw over Chain Burn, Exodia and whatever likes to spam their S/T heavily (including Pendulums that blow their Scales up for more), but that's it. Flare Metal's burn is lower, yes, but it hits monster effects too (and those are still prevalent). However, it does set up for the aforementioned two I mentioned in A (Madoor/Sorcerer), but yeah, that's it.

------

I do wish that it had a bit more protection to compensate for the effort needed, but A gets it for doing its job better.

Archived