Golden Gate Empire: Dreams of Grandeur | OOC | Started | Co-hosted by VCR_Cat

Dad

Reminder:  Deadline for character application submission is tomorrow, November 17, 2016.  I will stop accepting applications as of 1:00pm Central Time on that day.  If your character is complete, please remove any work in progress tags you may have.  I will not consider WIP tagged applications for the RP.  And finally, the cast will be limited to 8 maximum.

The selection process will be rigorous, but I expect to have final results for the cast no later than 8:00pm Central Time on tomorrow.  If things go smoothly, we may be able to begin the RP as early as the same evening, or possibly this coming Saturday.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is another character that I made in a hurry

[spoiler=Cynthia Adams]

Name:Cynthia Adams

Species:Human

[spoiler=Apperance]tumblr_oetqpoqzcR1s490t5o1_500.jpg

“You want to know about my appearance? Alright then, I am 69 inches tall and I weigh 142 pounds. I have red eyes and blonde hair, which I got from my mother. I usually wear a simple dress with simple pants, but I will sometimes wear something expensive. I will sometimes carry my violin wherever I go.”

[spoiler=Bio]“I live with my parents and my 7 year old sister in a rich mansion. We have several butlers and maids roaming around the mansion, who obey out every want and need. Growing up, I learned to play several instruments, but my favorite is the violin. I also am a great acrobat and swimmer. I know 32 different languages, my favorite is Latin.

But even though I had all these talents, there was one thing I was lacking,……the art of fighting. I had seen different forms on fighting on the TV, but the people who were fighting never fought artfully. I wanted to learn to fight, not with my fists, but with my violin. But I didn’t know how I could do that, so I looked through the library but found nothing. I was about to give up, when I then remembered there were more books up in the attic. So I went up to the attic and looked through every book, but still found nothing, until I found a box. The box was taped shut, so I cut the tape with my knife and looked inside the box. In the box was a single book, it had a red cover and was a bit dusty. So I looked through it but every page was blank, until I got to the last one.

The last page was in Latin and had a strange symbol on it. The book said, ’A ritual that will grant the person who performs it one wish, but to gain this one wish they must draw this symbol using the blood of a recently killed person and say these words….’. I can’t remember what happened for the rest of the day, until it was night time. I was in the library with a butler, reading a book. I asked the butler to come closer, but I could not stop myself from doing what I did next. I stabbed the butler in the neck and then in the heart,….killing him. I felt like I could not control my body, I wrote the strange symbol on the floor with the butlers blood and said the words that were from the book.

At first, nothing happened and I thought that the book was just a hoax, a sick prank made by some sick people. But suddenly a huge flame shot out of the symbol and when the fire died down, A man with black hair and the reddest eyes was standing in the middle of the room. He was wearing a black suit and looked from me to the butlers dead body and back again. And then spoke,’What is it you wish for, Cynthia?’ I was breathless; I thought I was having a dream, or a nightmare ‘How do you know my name?’ ‘I know everyone’s name, for that is my job so now I will ask again, what do you wish for?’ ‘I wish to be able to fight with the violin…’ The man gave me a strange look. ‘Fight with your violin? Is this really what you seek?’ I looked from the man to the dead butler, and then after a long silence I said one word, ‘Yes’ The room suddenly got darker, ‘Alright then, I will give you your wish’ With the snap of his fingers, a black and gold violin appeared in his hands. ‘With this violin, you will get what you wish’ He gave it to me and bowed, ‘but now I must go, and I will take the sacrifice with me’ and then, in a burst of flame he, the body and the blood was gone.

I thought that I dreamed it, until I saw the violin in my hands. Several days passed, and during those days the cops came over, looking for the missing butler. But they soon left because of lack of evidence. I kept the demonic violin under my bed, and I didn’t touch it again until about a week later. It was night and I went outside and into the woods behind our house. When I was sure no one was watching, I closed my eyes and played the violin. I heard the sound of flames and opened my eyes. The grass around me was burnt to a crisp, and soon I realized the violin had burned it.

So over the weeks I trained with the violin and mastered everything it had to over. While training I noticed a black tattoo start appearing on my left hand, and it started to spread up my left arm. So I stopped playing the violin for a while and it faded away after a couple of days. I’m a bit worried what will happen if the tattoo would spread over my entire body.

Recently I got a letter in the mail inviting me to the Secret Cup Tournament. I plan to win and spend the money on a new mansion so that I can live by myself when I’m 18.”

[spoiler=Personality]“I am a bit selfish, but I also am very kind and a slight bit shy. I am also really smart and when I look at someone, I will try to guess their age and what they have been doing lately, so you could sort of say that I’m a younger female Sherlock Holmes. I will not really talk to people who don’t seem interesting”

[spoiler=Weapons]

Maledicte Diabole: “Maledicte Diabole, It means Accursed Devil in Latin. It is a beautiful gold and black violin that I got from the demon. It allows me to use my powers, It is unbreakable and never it misses a tune. I carry it around in a red case.”

Pocket Knife: "It is a very reliable knife, made of stainless steel. Although its not the best thing to use in a fight, it does help in tricky situations."

[spoiler=Powers]

Melody of protection: “When I play this tune, I am invincible. I can’t play it for long though because it drains my energy really quick.”

Melody of Summoning: “When I play this tune, I can summon up to 10 minions that will help me. The minions are skeletons with flaming skulls, but they are weak and break easily”

Echoes of Hell: “When I play this tune, a wall of fire shoots out in a 20 foot radius around me. The fire walls knock people away and set them on fire”

Melody of Fire: “When I play this tune, fire balls will appear around me and will shoot at my enemies. The faster I play, the more fire balls are summoned.”

[spoiler=Misc]Favorite Song/Battle theme:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCjU-Du3eI

Ladies and gentlemen, at this time, applications are CLOSED.  I will begin deliberation for applicants immediately and will have the cast decided before the evening is out.  I should also have the opening post of the In-Character thread up before this evening is out.

As a reminder, if you have not removed WIP tags from a completed application, please do so.  I will be refreshing pages to make sure I don't miss any completed applications that can be accepted.  But new applications will no longer be accepted at this time.

EDIT:  Final casting is complete.  Our eight contestants have been decided, and casting call is complete.  Please read the opening post on the first page.

Taking a Look Back

The premise of the original Golden Gate Empire was originally intended to be divide among three things:  the gods, the devils, and the tournament.  Within this, I had to find a way to get contestants (dead or alive) from the tournament and into the story behind the places they were visiting, and why they were actually visiting them as places of combat.  However, I failed to do that.  While boss monsters and overall combat was on the up and up, the story did not progress the way I had hoped.  Gerald evolved too quickly, and his character growth was poor.  I had to rush Steph to the point of being betrayed by Gerald some two to three scenes before I would have liked to, and we also missed out on a lot of player interaction due to lack of activity.  I fault myself for this, because I was unable to keep players interested.

This is something I'd like to remedy.

Moving Forward

In order to keep players interested in both player interaction and story, without limiting the brawling to just being a winner takes all, I've limited the cast.  Having such a large cast last time was definitely fun, for both the early cast and myself.  However, things quickly became messy, and things became rushed.  By halving the cast size of last time, I'm able to focus more on the story, control the fights without interfering too much with player characters, and appropriately pace the RP towards its end.

The Cast; Old and New

For returning cast, I'd like to take this time to say thank you.  Whether you were accepted or not was not depending on if you were apart of the previous write up, but I am happy to have you back.  For the new cast, it's a pleasure to have you, and I look forward to working with you.

RE:  No Returning Characters

I didn't want things to get too stale too quickly.  This was the reason I declined to accept characters from the original GGE, and kept the timelines separate.  This allows for what is essentially a "fresh start".  Though, I use that phrase loosely.

GGE Tier List (Original)

I've been asked to describe who I believe the strongest characters (not including bosses or NPCs) out of the original characters.  So, I've decide to create a tier list with an explanation on each character and why I think they belong in their respective tiers.

S+ Tier:

Top of the class.

Saul - Though he can be bulky and slow, he makes up for his shortcomings with a large attack radius, plenty of area of effect damage, and a blink on a short cooldown.  And if you were hit by Saul's sword, in all honesty, you should be dead.  Period.

Tyson Slayer - Though his Power Array appears weak at first glance, the ability to augment weapons and create fire constructs really pushes Tyson higher up on my list.  His damage output doesn't match Saul's, initially.  However, over the course of a lengthy fight, Tyson will win out, every time.  A self heal is one thing, but being undead and being able to put yourself back together at any given time is another.

Elspire Ferdinand - Two words.  Dragon form.  A 50% damage buff to anything that's half-dragon is frightening.  Couple that with both long range and melee attacks, and the ability to with stand drawn out fights better than most, and he's a big deal.

Arisu Itakura - Honestly, a highly underrated character.  The Philospher's Stone is such a powerful tool, creating virtually limitless possibilities for Arisu.  Elemental and illusion magic are icing on the cake, turning her into more of a very impressive Harry Potter-esque sorceress, and she is quite possibly the most versatile character in the line-up.

S Tier:

The Jocks

Robert Eschalotte - Bar none, Lotte had the most utility of every character in the original line-up.  From hard crowd control to burst damage, Lotte could do it all.  But, he gave up a lot being underdeveloped as a character, and thus we'll never know what he's really capable of.

Dirk Rider - Impact, impact, impact.  He may not be the most versatile character, but the only person who's physical impact was harder was Saul's.  He hit harder than Tyson, but he can get blown out faster.  Plus, Dirk is arrogant.  His attitude is bound to lead him to take on more than he can handle and blow his strongest abilities prematurely.  He just falls short. 

Kokoro Kuroyama - This character is my favorite of the original cast.  She was such a joy to play, and it was sad to see her go.  I also wish we could have seen her stick around longer for development.  The reason she makes S is her raw strength.  She's not Saul or Dirk, but she can go toe to toe with many of them.  Her biggest weakness however is how limited her kit is.  If she isn't in your face, she's lost.  The only reason Tyson struggled was because Kokoro had unwanted help.  Even still, she can give him a run for his money.

A Tier:

Acknowledge me, Senpai!

Nori Amasuka - Nori may have been incomplete as far as development goes, but I didn't forget about her.  She's an off-beat version of Robert, with a colder heart and a bit more tact.  Her biggest strength is the over looked Mountain fighting style.  Being able to shatter defenses would have been something unique to have against Gerald's final fights.  Not to mention, it opens up a lot of killing potential for her as a character.

Nero - Top tier tanking, though its rather niche.  What Nero lacks in raw power he makes up for in intelligence and combat experience.  As a demon, he has a lot to offer.  If you ignore his speed, you'll be trapped before you can react.  Then it's as simple as slitting your throat.  "You will know what true beauty is."

Noya Jones - Again, another underplayed, underappreciated character.  Psychics--much like mages/wizards/witches/warlocks--are incredibly strong.  She had good intentions, and she's a great opportunist.  Using her belligerent attitude to agitate her foes then turn the fight in her favor, she's as annoying as she is dangerous.  We got to see her remove the eye patch only once to my knowledge.  Had she made it further in the RP I'm sure she would've been an ideal force to use against Gerald.

Morgan Reaperson - To put it simply, it was Morgan's rather light arsenal that kept her below S tier, but barely out of B tier.  As a character, she's pretty great.  Witty, thought on her feet, and had a spicy attitude.  But a Skeletal Giant and some mild-heated skulls are lacking.  The Frenzy Plant however.  That's something I expect out of a witch.  Had she abused it more, and given her giant some time to smash on rooted targets, she would've been much more frightening.

B Tier:

Holding up the world's biggest tower.

Camille Jade Isaacs - Cam, for all of his actual damage capabilities, was too wishy-washy and unsure of himself to get out and fight.  And when he did fight, he didn't have the necessary combat experience to create winning scenarios.  It wasn't until he was completely overloaded by Gerald that we saw Cam explode into a Terminator-style death machine.

Zyg - Easily the cutest character.  But lets be honest, Zyg couldn't accomplish much.  Though his claws were superheated and did provide the best cutting tools for sandwiches and steaks, he was really just a butter knife with teeth.  He has his laser, which is neat.  But even so, a robo-dino can only do so much.

Fate Etheria - Fate was hardly noticeable, in any state of the rp.  Her battle with Arisu was the only reason she was on the map at all.  Though her shears were definitely badass, that's about all she had going for her.  But because she was both underplayed and naive, she ended up becoming what amounts to an angsty teenager with parent troubles.  And for some reason, she had flashbangs.

Odette Chrysalis - Little lady ballet decided to show up to a tournament with the deadliest people on the planet, fighting with a ribbon.  Until she was augmented by Gerald, she was about as interesting and impactful as a raindrop falling on a piece of bread.

Basil Thorn - A mock Lee Sin with less talent.  But I have to say, I adore Basil's story and power array.  It takes nature communication and spiritual communication and makes him a sort of mini-Avatar.  The most interesting character if I had anything to say about him.

• 1 month later...

Don't mind me just bumping this and hoping Parenthesis sees this and GETS HIS BUTT TO POSTING

That being said I kinda want to ask here so that it's somewhere more...visible.

How we gonna deal with people not posting in this one? Last GGE a problem was waiting too much on people, so I kinda would like a more solid gameplan for that.

• 6 months later...

Officially looking for a co-host to assist me with RP management, bounce ideas off of, get feedback on characters, and more.

If you're interested, please drop me a spoilered bit of detail with the following, in this thread:

• Why you're interesed
  • What if any experience you have with hosting/co-hosting
  • What you can bring to the table (can be tied into the above)
  • What you would like to get out of co-hosting with me
  • How you handle sensitive RP information (big plot points that need planning ahead)

Looking forward to working with you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived