Sceptyr's Support: Nordic Nation (5/5)

Black D'Sceptyr

Seriously tho, considering this is Taco Tuesday and I feel like celebrating, (nope-nothing else is happening on this fine day of days. NO SIREE.) I decided to give you some cards to benefit a fledgling Archetype once more. 

And considering its the superpowered Synchro playing, 16-type-sharing, wholly inconsistent clutch of lore called the Nordics, I felt each branch of the line, deserved their own special care. Thank me later. 

First is the Nordic Beasts, with Eikthyrinir, the great stag and powerhouse of the bestial batallion.

eikthyrnir_of_the_nordic_beasts_by_bdsce

[spoiler=Nordic Beast Eikthyrnir: Errata]

EARTH/Beast-Type Tuner Effect Monster/Level 4/1200 ATK/2000 DEF

Lore: When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack while this card is in your hand: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in Attack Position, and if you do, all other face-up monsters on the field lose 1200 ATK, until the end of the turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if all the face-up monsters you control are "Nordic Beast" monsters: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; change its battle position.

Next up are the Alfars-with the third tier revealed in the compressed form of Dokkalf!

dokkalf_of_the_nordic_alfar_by_bdsceptyr

[spoiler=Nordic Alfar Dokkalf: Errata]

DARK/Spellcaster-Type Effect Monster/Level 3/1200 ATK/800 DEF

Lore: If a monster(s) in your Graveyard is banished, while this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card as a Tuner monster, and if you do, make the Level of 1 other face-up monster on the field the same Level as a "Nordic" monster you control. When this card is Summoned, except by its own effect: You can Set 1 "Nordic Relic" or "Fenrir" Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard to your field. That Set card can be activated this turn. You can only Summon "Dokkalf of the Nordic Alfar" once per turn.

And (next to) finally, the queen of the Nordic Ascendants, the wondrous, revivaholic, Frige!

frige_of_the_nordic_ascendants_by_bdscep

[spoiler=Nordic Ascendant Frige: Errata]

LIGHT/Fairy-Type Effect Monster/Level 6/2200 ATK/200 DEF

Lore: When this card is Summoned, or if this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can target 2 monsters in your Graveyard with the same Level, including a "Nordic Ascendant" or "Nordic Champion" monster: Special Summon both of those targets, but they become Level 3 while they are on the field. You can only use this effect of "Frige of the Nordic Ascendants" once per turn. While this Tribute Summoned card is face-up on the field, it is treated as a Level 4 monster, also it cannot be destroyed by battle.

Coming in at Level 9, she's a new Nordic pass over to make your opponent regret their actions, the accompanying brethren of Fenrir the Wolf and Jormangundr the Serpent, the Nordic guide of the lost and damned, Hela!!

hela_the_nordic_undertaker_by_bdsceptyr-

[spoiler=Nordic Undertaker Hela: Errata]

DARK/Fiend-Type Effect Monster/Level 9/3500 ATK/3500 DEF

Lore: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to your opponent's field in Defense Position, by Special Summoning 3 other "Nordic" monsters (1 each from your hand, Deck and Graveyard) whose total Levels equals 9 or less, except "Hela the Nordic Undertaker", but you cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn, except "Aesir" monsters. You can only Special Summon "Hela the Nordic Undertaker" once per turn this way. When an "Aesir" monster(s) is Special Summoned: This card's controller must send 1 monster from their hand or field to the Graveyard (their choice.)

And finally, the great home of Odin, Loki, and Thor, the prominent plane known as....

asgard__home_of_the_aesir_by_bdsceptyr-d

[spoiler=Asgard, Home of the Aesir: Errata]

Field Spell Card

Lore: "Aesir" Synchro Monsters you control cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effect. Once per turn: You can shuffle 1 Level 4 or lower banished monster to the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Vitalfar Token" (Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 500/DEF 500) for each Level that monster had, but they cannot be Tributed or destroyed by a card effect, also they cannot be used as Materials for a Summon, except for the Synchro Summon of an "Aesir" monster. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, if there are 2 or more different original Types among the face-up monsters you control: You can Special Summon 1 "Nordic" monster from your Graveyard with a different Type from those monsters.

That's all, folks.

BDS, signing off.

I'm going to go through these real quick since there isn't too much to say. I think they're quite good add-ons to the "God Cards" of Synchros and would give them that definite boost in power they sorely lack.

Eikthyrnir: Battle Fader on crack, this ends the battle phase while getting you a search you need as well as having a solid body in case some weird stat's relevant effect is on display. It's second effect is pretty strong, letting you spend some LP to force a battle position change on the field. Doing that into Thor will definitely be a scary wake up call for anyone.

Dokkalf: Loki usually had some of the weakest supports to get him(or her in this case of Yugioh, he's a shapeshifter w.e) out. I'd make this level 2 since it's kind of difficult getting out a rank then when you need to somehow make a level 10 with a 3 and two monsters whose levels will most likely not match when you trigger Dokkalf effect. I kind of can't imagine the scenario where you remove Alfar cards or if any of them do such a thing so maybe and one more card to combo with this one?

Frige: So you can summon it, get a tuner and whatever and instant Odin, that's great, otherwise you get to add two more monsters on the field for combos. It's secondary effect isn't too amazing but does net you another tuner if you desperately need it.

Hela: She's...interesting. She essentially forces the opponent to clear their board while the original owner pulls out the 3 cards needed to combo into any Aesir monster you bring out. I suggest adding a restriction outside halving damage since being able to get 3 monsters from your deck for free just to have Hela kill herself and whatever friends she was forced to hang out with isn't a monumental task to Aesir. Maybe they need a monster or 2 to set her up first?

Asgard: It legitimately makes them God Cards on their opponent's turn, sets up well needed synchro fodder, lets you dump cards to trigger effects and you can use it to get out any monster for the Nordic Archetype for different Aesir Synchros. The deck will need to defend this card but having it out for more than 2 turns gives it so much value the opponent might as well scoop by the time you get the 2nd Aesir boss out.

Eikthyrnir of the Nordic Beasts: Not sure how I feel about what is essentially a better Battle Fader, and also a Tuner to boot that can go into Rank 4 Toolbox. Maybe restrict it a bit more to Nordics somehow. Also, that second effect is pretty useless in all honesty. Basically locks it in so that you can’t have any other monsters on the field except “Nordics”, so you can’t even control an “Aesir” monster, it only negates the effects of monsters on the field, and they have to be Level 4 or lower to do so, and finally it has the audacity to have a LP cost in addition to it all. I get that it might be useful in certain matchups, like HERO and such, but I really think you should better tool this effect.

Dokkalf of the Nordic Alfar: Pretty decent SS effect that allows this thing to be reused, I like it. The Normal Summon effect is also pretty nice, and lets you use that dumb trap that allows you to search out your Nordic monsters, so that’s nice.

Frige of the Nordic Ascendant: Honestly, I think it’d be better if this thing activated on Special Summon too. It requires you to already have resources in the Graveyard, and while it does combo well with Vanadis, it’s still requires work to be put in. The banish effect is decentish, so good stuff.

Hela the Nordic Undertaker: Nope, nope, nope. Sorry, that’s a bit harsh, it’s a good idea, but you’re going to need to put some key restrictions on it. 1. Limit it so you can only Special Summon “Nordic” and “Aesir” monsters, or you got yourself a 1 card Trish. Also, the condition for its summon is putting 3 monsters on your field, at least make it so that you have to SS it to your opponent’s field first, then it will SS them to the field. That last effect is really strong for destruction, as you basically turned this card into a Raigeki that lets you summon an “Aesir” monster for basically free.maybe make it so that it only destroys 2 cards your opponent controls

Asgard, Home of the Aesir: First effect is cool, nice to get tokens for Synchro plays, but should probably restrict them to being used for Nordic Synchros to prevent abuse, and again, Trish. Also, I think generic targeting and destruction protection would be fine enough, because you’re forgetting about ABC, which you know, can banish them during your turn, so that’d suck. Last effect is pretty situational, but hey, could be interesting in a build meant to get all 3 “Aesir” monsters to the field.

Eikthyrnir of the Nordic Beasts: Not sure how I feel about what is essentially a better Battle Fader, and also a Tuner to boot that can go into Rank 4 Toolbox. Maybe restrict it a bit more to Nordics somehow. Also, that second effect is pretty useless in all honesty. Basically locks it in so that you can’t have any other monsters on the field except “Nordics”, so you can’t even control an “Aesir” monster, it only negates the effects of monsters on the field, and they have to be Level 4 or lower to do so, and finally it has the audacity to have a LP cost in addition to it all. I get that it might be useful in certain matchups, like HERO and such, but I really think you should better tool this effect.

Dokkalf of the Nordic Alfar: Pretty decent SS effect that allows this thing to be reused, I like it. The Normal Summon effect is also pretty nice, and lets you use that dumb trap that allows you to search out your Nordic monsters, so that’s nice.

Frige of the Nordic Ascendant: Honestly, I think it’d be better if this thing activated on Special Summon too. It requires you to already have resources in the Graveyard, and while it does combo well with Vanadis, it’s still requires work to be put in. The banish effect is decentish, so good stuff.

Hela the Nordic Undertaker: Nope, nope, nope. Sorry, that’s a bit harsh, it’s a good idea, but you’re going to need to put some key restrictions on it. 1. Limit it so you can only Special Summon “Nordic” and “Aesir” monsters, or you got yourself a 1 card Trish. Also, the condition for its summon is putting 3 monsters on your field, at least make it so that you have to SS it to your opponent’s field first, then it will SS them to the field. That last effect is really strong for destruction, as you basically turned this card into a Raigeki that lets you summon an “Aesir” monster for basically free.maybe make it so that it only destroys 2 cards your opponent controls

Asgard, Home of the Aesir: First effect is cool, nice to get tokens for Synchro plays, but should probably restrict them to being used for Nordic Synchros to prevent abuse, and again, Trish. Also, I think generic targeting and destruction protection would be fine enough, because you’re forgetting about ABC, which you know, can banish them during your turn, so that’d suck. Last effect is pretty situational, but hey, could be interesting in a build meant to get all 3 “Aesir” monsters to the field.

Eikthyrnir: Battle Fader on crack, this ends the battle phase while getting you a search you need as well as having a solid body in case some weird stat's relevant effect is on display. It's second effect is pretty strong, letting you spend some LP to force a battle position change on the field. Doing that into Thor will definitely be a scary wake up call for anyone.

Dokkalf: Loki usually had some of the weakest supports to get him(or her in this case of Yugioh, he's a shapeshifter w.e) out. I'd make this level 2 since it's kind of difficult getting out a rank then when you need to somehow make a level 10 with a 3 and two monsters whose levels will most likely not match when you trigger Dokkalf effect. I kind of can't imagine the scenario where you remove Alfar cards or if any of them do such a thing so maybe and one more card to combo with this one?

Frige: So you can summon it, get a tuner and whatever and instant Odin, that's great, otherwise you get to add two more monsters on the field for combos. It's secondary effect isn't too amazing but does net you another tuner if you desperately need it.

Hela: She's...interesting. She essentially forces the opponent to clear their board while the original owner pulls out the 3 cards needed to combo into any Aesir monster you bring out. I suggest adding a restriction outside halving damage since being able to get 3 monsters from your deck for free just to have Hela kill herself and whatever friends she was forced to hang out with isn't a monumental task to Aesir. Maybe they need a monster or 2 to set her up first?

Asgard: It legitimately makes them God Cards on their opponent's turn, sets up well needed synchro fodder, lets you dump cards to trigger effects and you can use it to get out any monster for the Nordic Archetype for different Aesir Synchros. The deck will need to defend this card but having it out for more than 2 turns gives it so much value the opponent might as well scoop by the time you get the 2nd Aesir boss out.

Eikthymir's getting re-errated immediately: I didn't figure ripping out a Battle Phase would be that busted, but clearly it necessitates a change. 

I'll change up Frige, Asgard and the Nordic Undertaker as well. Normally, this was driven by the thought of keeping Valkyrie and Vatlamyus from being a total bust (with Frige), the Aesir protection effects from being wasted (with Asgard) and to get Nrodics a decent Turn 1 play (Hela.) I'll make sure to compensate for those faults by the end of either now or Thanksgiving.

Archived