Moonshadow (chaos plants)

shadowsapex

Level 2 Light/Dark Plants that summon themselves by banishing others from the graveyard. It's all very simple, and they've got a few xyzs as well. They have minuscule ATK, but can actually increase it to a decent level through effects.

Moonshadow Sage

Level 2, 300/600, LIGHT, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is Summoned: You can discard 1 card; send 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. You can only activate each effect of "Moonshadow Sage" once per turn. 

Moonshadow Ivy

Level 2, 200/500, DARK, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is banished from the Graveyard: You can add it to your hand. You can only activate each effect of "Moonshadow Ivy" once per turn.

Moonshadow Poppy

Level 2, 600/300, LIGHT, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is Special Summoned, and you control another "Moonshadow" monster: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it. You can only activate each effect of "Moonshadow Poppy" once per turn.

Moonshadow Laurel

Level 2, 400/100, DARK, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can discard 1 "Moonshadow" monster; draw 2 cards. You can only activate each effect of "Moonshadow Laurel" once per turn.

Moonshadow Clover

Level 2, 400/200, LIGHT, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Moonshadow Clover" once per turn. If this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your hand.

Moonshadow Fern

Level 2, 200/400, DARK, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is banished from the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Moonshadow Fern". You can only activate each effect of "Moonshadow Fern" once per turn.

Moonshadow Iris

Level 2, 300/200, LIGHT, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Moonshadow Iris" once per turn. Once per turn: You can target up to 2 of your banished "Moonshadow" monsters; shuffle them into the Deck, then gain 500 LP for each.

Moonshadow Hemlock

Level 2, 500/200, DARK, Plant

You can banish 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can only activate this effect of "Moonshadow Hemlock" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, and if it is a "Moonshadow" monster, double this card's ATK.

Moonshadow Daylily

Level 6, 2500/1900, LIGHT, Plant

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can banish 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 other Plant-Type monster; send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, if a "Moonshadow" monster you control would be destroyed by battle, you can shuffle 1 of your banished "Moonshadow" monsters into the Deck instead.

Moonshadow Nightshade

Level 6, 2600/1100, DARK, Plant

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can banish 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can send 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then shuffle 1 other "Moonshadow" monster you control into the Deck. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 Level 2 Plant-Type monster; all Level 2 "Moonshadow" monsters you control gain ATK equal to that card's combined ATK and DEF.

Moonshadow Foxglove

Rank 2, 1700/200, LIGHT, Plant, Xyz

2 Level 2 monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 of your banished "Moonshadow" monsters. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 Level/Rank 2 "Moonshadow" monster you control; it gains ATK equal to the total ATK of all Level 2 "Moonshadow" monsters you control, besides itself, until the end of your next turn. If this card is banished from the Graveyard: Return it to the Extra Deck.

Moonshadow Snapdragon

Rank 2, 2100/1300, DARK, Plant, Xyz

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 "Moonshadow" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. All Level 2 "Moonshadow" monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each of your banished cards. If this card is banished from the Graveyard: Return it to the Extra Deck.

Moonshadow Sowing

Spell

Send 2 "Moonshadow" monsters, 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK, from your Deck to the Graveyard. You must control no monsters, and have no monsters in your Graveyard except Plant-Type monsters, to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only activate 1 "Moonshadow Sowing" per turn.

Moonshadow Cycle

Continuous Spell

If a LIGHT "Moonshadow" monster is Special Summoned by banishing a DARK monster: It cannot be destroyed by card effects. If a DARK "Moonshadow" monster is Special Summoned by banishing a LIGHT monster: It gains 1000 ATK. You can send this card to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 2 "Moonshadow" monster from your Graveyard. You can only activate 1 "Moonshadow Cycle" per turn.

Moonshadow Essence

Trap

During the End Phase: Draw 1 card for every 2 "Moonshadow" monsters banished from your Graveyard this turn. You must control a "Moonshadow" Xyz Monster to activate and resolve this effect. You can only activate 1 "Moonshadow Essence" per turn.

Moonshadow Beacon

Continuous Spell

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 "Moonshadow" monster from your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Moonshadow" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it with its effects negated. You can only activate 1 "Moonshadow Beacon" per turn.

Moonshadow Duality

Quick-Play Spell

If you have equal numbers of LIGHT and DARK "Moonshadow" monsters in your Graveyard: Activate 1 of these effects.

● Banish all LIGHT "Moonshadow" monsters from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 6 DARK "Moonshadow" monster from your Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions. It gains ATK equal to the total ATK of all monsters banished to activate this effect and is unaffected by monster effects this turn.

● Banish all DARK "Moonshadow" monsters from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 6 LIGHT "Moonshadow" monster from your Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions. It gains ATK equal to the total DEF of all monsters banished to activate this effect, and is unaffected by Trap effects this turn.

Moonshadow Lure

Spell

Send 1 "Moonshadow" monster from your Extra Deck to the Graveyard, then target 1 monster your opponent controls with a lower Level than the total Levels of all "Moonshadow" monsters you control; take control of it, but its Level becomes 2 and its ATK and DEF become 0. You can only activate 1 "Moonshadow Lure" per turn.

I think that this is good, and by themselves they would probably be an ok deck by itself, but with the current plants and having lightsworn being a thing, this deck would be op. None of them are really all that by themselves but together with other plants support like lonefire, and fertilizer i can see this easily getting to tier 2 if not tier 1. I do think all of them should be each effect can only be activated once per turn. That way you would only be able to summon them once per turn that way and only use the effect once as well. Otherwise you could run 60 dump 15 and just abuse with omega and still be able to get your Xyz's. 

Yeah, I know Lawnmowing is a thing. I made this archetype before it was a thing, so I'm just going to pretend it's not a thing for the purposes of this archetype. I'm not changing this entire set for one broken card.

Lightsworns are pretty slow. Lonefire requires a normal summon, but it could summon the Level 6s, so I think I'll go add summon restrictions to them. Since the deck has no tuners, you'd need to jump though hoops to summon Omega, so I don't feel it's a problem. But you do raise good points. I'll go slap on a few hard OPTs.

Placed hard OPTs on Sage, Laurel, and Fern's secondary effects.

Sage has some nice speed in its first effect, and the second effect reinforces the idea of being a Graveyard oriented archetype, combining the benefit of getting it out with being able to mill for a discard. I'm so far seeing consistency and self-support, so that's always a good start.

Ooh, so less of a profit in Graveyard archetype, but more like Ronintoadin the archetype? Ivy has the double benefit of being both fodder and a play enabler, increasing the versatility of the archetype. So far, so good. However, as an aside, this archetype works really well with Miracle Fertilizer, considering it is Xyz and has a whole bunch of Graveyard play.

Poppy's last effect is scary, or more accurately, the fact that it has no HOPT is scary, combined with the fact that Miracle Fertilizer only has OPT and you can just detach from an Xyz then Summon it again. Then again, Miracle Fertilizer is easily just popped via S/T destruction, and targeting destruction is a weak form of removal, even if it does work on cards.

Laurel suddenly reminded me of the fact that that the HOPT on the archetype seems to be on activation rather than usage. Dunno if this was chosen for a reason, but choosing use is normally better unless a specific card needs buffing. Because remember, activation HOPT means that if it is negated you haven't used up your OPT, but use HOPT means if it gets negated you have used up your OPT, anyway, Laurel is so far great in self-supporting, maybe the best, giving the archetype great draw power and getting the cards in the Graveyard.

Clover is weird. Basically the only Clover you actually want in the hand (so far), it allows for spamming Clovers from the hand? Yes, it limits bricking, and it technically gets the other Moonshadows into the Graveyard from Xyzs, but you first have to draw this card and it seems to work a little against the archetype. Ah well, it's not bad, and would probably still be run. This card also got me thinking about a BF Engine for the archetype, as the extra Normal Summon could be helpful with this card combined with searching. Unless Fertilizer, of course.

Fern is starting to make me want to see a little more variety in terms of the banishing to summon effect. However, looking briefly ahead I caught sight of some Level 6s, so I'll just wait with baited breath until then. Anyway, on banish effect as opposed to on summon, so supports the other niche of the archetype, and can summon itself if needed.

Hemlock makes me wish it had the destruction effect, because poison and whatnot, but a free mill and ATK boost? Not only is it a little more interesting than normal, but you get a mill too! Wouldn't hurt to buff the base ATK tho. In fact, for all of these, they seem to be closer to Level 1 stats than Level 2 stats. Most of then are weaker than Pot the Trick, the weakest Level 2 Normal Monster. Not to mention there are quite a few Normal Monsters with 1k+ stats, or 0 ATK and 2k DEF. Wouldn't hurt for some extra ATK or even DEF, especially for this monster's effect.

Daylily is lovely for some more variety, with a nice supporting tribute to mill effect. I wish it was a little more offensive with those high stats, but at least it has some protection with the last effect, even if it isn't much to speak of. Now that we're on the topic of the last effect, it doesn't activate, so use commas instead of colons. Since it can apply mid-chain, let's say after a torrential tribute, it's just like protection effects granted by Union monsters. Perhaps a weak card, but the mill can be useful.

Nightshade's effect to mill is really..............why?????? I mean, you get a mill, but you then have to drastically reduce field advantage. Not so much amount but the way it is reduced. Perhaps just send from your side of the field to the Graveyard? Although it is possible to use the card you have sent to the Graveyard, it still eats into your field advantage. The last effect puts the first to shame, allowing for a much more offensive play than just the engine the other MD monsters have supplied. All in all, a little meh, but more potential than the above.

Foxglove stats threw me, because that's also underwhelming for a Rank 2 Xyz. I mean, freaking Treatoad has more than 2k ATK. Yes, it has an ATK boosting effect, but it doesn't work on itself, so it's easily going bye bye. Really think it should extend to targeting a Level/Rank 2 monster. The detach to Summon is extremely useful when combined with the on-summon effects of the rest of the archetype, but I was hoping for something more interesting with the last effect when it was banished. Yes, you can recycle, but considering the other Xyz has this as well it leaves a lot to be desired. How about an effect with HOPT on each one that returns 1 "Moonshadow" monster to the hand when it is banished? That way you can recycle it and restock hand advantage.

Snapdragon is what I want to see in a Rank 2 Xyz. Simple supporting effect (wasn't even expecting Spells/Traps with the lack of specification in the rest of the main deck) and an all-round buff/reward for keeping it out. Nothing much to say, other than a great card.

Sowing is a bit too restrictive, imo. Yes, it is essentially a double Foolish, but the requirement for both monsters to be Moonshadow and differing attributes probably is good enough to allow you to splash in some other card HOWEVER nevermind that, because Lawn-mowing. Just thought of it, and realize its capability combine with another engine. Now, I must say that for now, despite its milling capabilities, the archetype isn't too strong with Lawn-mowing. Yes, you get some cards in your Graveyard, but that requires heavy hits to consistency in order to be playable and this card's current restriction means you're losing a potent card at the cost of an engine. Right now, Lawn-mowing is fine, and so is this card. You could be willing to give up this card in exchange for the BF engine and Lawn-mowing, but this card seems pretty good as is.

Cycle is a pretty good all round card, providing protection or ATK and giving you a Summon. I must say that the archetype is very inclusive. While this is not the best imo, as it makes deck more interesting if you can run them with other cards to make them more unique, it's not bad, as it prevents the archetype from being greatly affected in a bad way by other cards.

Essence seemed a bit scary, with cards like Soul Release, but the Xyz Restriction really limits it playability and activation, and would require a different variant of the deck. In fact, the sheer size of the MD monsters would allow for many different forms of splashing. If only there were more Plant-Type Xyzs...

Beacon allows for hand advantage to actually be worth something in this deck, so kudos. The sending to the Graveyard thing seems a bit random, but at least has a good reason for your opponent to not pop it.

Duality only has use if you are running the Level 6s, which might hurt consistency considering their nomi status, but this card makes them playable. So far, I'm seeing 3 variations of this deck with roundabout the same power level: Lawn-Mowning/BF, Pure Level 2, Pure Level 2 + 6. I really can't think which one would be the best, but I take back what I said earlier about a lack of variation. So far seems to be really good.

Lure basically adds banishing fuel and Xyz Fuel. A bit hard to pull off, but it targets so its fine. Probably should have a direct attack prevention for no cheap OTKs, but it's a nice note to end on.

With my suggestions, I believe this archetype could quite easily make Tier 1.5 or even 1, and that's not a bad thing. Do we not all strive to make good decks? The issue is going over that, but this archetype seems a tiny bit under more than anything. Great as ever, Shadow.

Thanks! I'm glad it's good. Tier 1.5-ish is about what I was aiming for, so I'm glad to not be super far off the mark.

The Hard OPTs are all on activation because... eh, I was lazy. Didn't feel the need to put that much thought into it. The difference seemed pretty trivial. Though now that I think about it, you can just summon everything back from the graveyard if it gets Striked and whatnot... but I still don't feel like changing it.

The stats are all meant to be super low - hardly any of them go over 500. Because of the deck's swarming capabilities and the powerful atk boosting effects I have, I'm worried about breaking something if I tweaked it. My original draft of Nightshade had its second effect boost atk permanently; would that help? And I'm not really worried about the xyzs surviving a turn. Since they're combo pieces, their job's done when they've gotten off their effects. If they die to battle, you can just use them as fodder next turn.

But I guess you can't really beat over anything if you're only boosting the wimpy main deck monsters with Foxglove. And not boosting itself leaves a huge hole in your defense. I'll go tweak its second effect.

You suggestion for the xyzs is basically like Dante's float effect? When they're banished, add 1 banished Moonshadow to hand? Hm.. I feel like that maybe puts too much focus on the hand in this deck. And I like the gimmick of recycling I have going on.

Nightshade's mill effect is disadvantageous because I didn't want this archetype to have a whole bunch of free mill effects. And I'll boost it's second effect; I think it balances out.

I'm worried about Sowing. It's instant Chaos fodder, after all, for BLS & such. So I put that restriction, because I didn't want it to be super splashable but I also didn't want to go all in with a 'can only special summon plants' restriction or something.

Made Daylily's final effect continuous. Poppy gets a hard opt. Nightshade boosts atk permanently. Foxglove affects Level/Rank 2 moonshadows.

Archived