[Finished]Order Up! Hungry Burger Support Contest, Straight Off the Grill!

Pon3

~The Menu~

What is a Hungry Burger you ask? What's that, you didn't ask? Well glad you did!

Let us start with some context:

A Long time ago, back in the year 2000, a completely insane, but also very powerful chef decided to grind up "Battle Steer", "Bio Plant", "Mystic Tomato", and "Griggle", toss their mangled remains into a Wok, and prepare a dangerously insatiable beefsteak between buns haunted by the spirits of the creatures Tributed to create this foul food warrior. He copied this Hamburger Recipe, and went online to YCM to create a whole Deck Archetype based around it! Except he only created TWO CARDS. Now, it is a little known fact that the reason behind this is that Hungry Burger actually got its revenge, and ate the Chef whole, as much like his brother, The Bistro Butcher, he only had 1800 ATK. Ironically, the Hungry Burger had actually doomed itself to live a life as an underpowered, undersupported Ritual Monster that by today's standards, might as well as be underneath a Coffee Mug somewhere. But today, I say No More! Get ready to switch out that card with Thousand Eyes Idol, as we do the unthinkable! Create 5 Valid Support Cards for Hungry Burger!

The rules are simple: 

• Anyone Can Join!
  • 5 Cards Maximum Per Submission
  • 1 Submission Per Person
  • Must follow a general rule of Fairness
  • Cards must Support Hungry Burger
  • Cards Must follow Advanced Format*
  • Card Images Are Not Required**

​                      *The exception to this is Abstract Cards

**You will NOT receive Bonus Points for providing images

The Submissions Will Be Judged as Follows (70 Pts. Total):

• Proper Wording: 5 Pts.
  • Creative Design: 15 Pts.
  • Overall Effectiveness: 15 Pts.
  • Balance: 20 Pts.
  • Food Puns: 5 Pts.
  • Complexity of Combos: 10 Pts.

​Scores will be given in comparison to all Submissions, not a preset expectation. Submissions will be Scored Blindly, meaning I will not be Judging with the knowledge of who's Submission I am Scoring. Up to 10 Bonus Points may be Awarded to those who go above and beyond simply making the cards. If a Submission Scores a 0 in ANY Category, it will be DISQUALIFIED. In the Event of a Score Tie, the Winner will be decided via an Impartial Judge. ALL Changes to Submissions MUST be completed before the Deadline, NO EXCEPTIONS. No purchase is necessary to enter.

We're not aiming for generic here, we want something rare, new, fun, and powerful. You're free to use any type of card, Monster, Spell, Trap, Fusion, XYZ, Synchro, Pendulum, and even Abstract. Just make sure that Hungry Burger is improved by the end of it.

The Deadline is 11:20 P.M. Eastern, 12/4/16. The Winner Will Be Announced on 12/11/16, between the times of 12 P.M.-8 P.M. Eastern. Post below that you are Entering the Contest.

HOW TO SUBMIT

Send your submissions Via PM through the YCM PM System, OR by sending an Email to [email protected] WITH the Title: "Extended Hamburger Recipe", and your YCM Username. If there are any complications, feel free to ask below, and I will give you an alternate way to contact me.

The Winner Will Recieve:

• A One-On-One Review of Any Archetype With Full Discussion
  • An Exclusive, One of a Kind Rare Pepe
  • A Lifetime Supply of Pizza Rolls, Sent Via PM, Ready to Be Printed Out and Enjoyed
  • A Mystery Surprise!

All Participants Will Recieve:

• 1 Pizza Roll, Sent Via PM, and Ready to Be Printed Out and Enjoyed
  • 1 Dank Meme

Upon the End of the Contest, I will review EVERY Submission, and explain why I Scored them the way I did. The results will be posted immediately after the Winner is Announced. Good Luck, and Have Fun!

~          ~

You may want to look over the dates; deadline is next Sunday, but you're announcing a winner on WEDNESDAY (4 days before you even get everything?) If you meant to say 12/16, then that makes more sense. 

Otherwise, if you're requesting 5 cards from entrants (well, you're allowing this much), you can either expect to have a low turnout or a lot of work to do in terms of grading. 

You may want to look over the dates; deadline is next Sunday, but you're announcing a winner on WEDNESDAY (4 days before you even get everything?) If you meant to say 12/16, then that makes more sense. 

Otherwise, if you're requesting 5 cards from entrants (well, you're allowing this much), you can either expect to have a low turnout or a lot of work to do in terms of grading. 

Thanks for the advice, I extended the dates. Also, you seem to have bypassed my no Signature Setting D:

Sure, this sounds fun. I'll join! Gonna edit OP w/ submissions once they're done.

Also, you mentioned the reviews will be done without knowing who's who. How would you go about that? Does the submission need to be done via PM? I have the entries ready, but I've taken them down until there's a clear distinction on that.  

I haven't been in this part of the internet the forum in a while. I'm interested to join.

Just one question though: Are we to post the cards in the comments section or are we to PM you the entries?

Ah, thank you two for asking this! Tell you what, send the submissions Via PM, this way, all entries won't have any sort of impact on later submissions ;)

I'll add that to the instructions!

And Major, I will copy and paste the Submissions into a Google Docs Document, and make my reviews there, leaving the Submittor's Name out. Each Submission will receive a number starting from 1 onward, then a Random Number Generator will be used to decide the order I will review and score them in. Hope I cleared that up for you!

Hey guys, huge update:
I'll be a bit busy until later today, I do have the cards reviewed and sorted, but I'm going to be away from my computer today till about 6-7, and it'll take me a little while to actually make the post covering the winner, and all the runner ups. Thanks for your patience!

Allow me to Preface this announcement with my sincerest apologies on being late in declaring the Winner of this Contest! I hope you all forgive me for this bone head mistake, and I hope it was worth the wait. That being said, in the Spoiler below is the analysis of all the submissions sent into me. I hope my feedback helps in understanding what it takes to improve the usefulness of near-useless cards with support as small as 5 cards, and with that said, I'm very thankful for all of you who took the time to enter in this contest, and I want you all to know that I had a blast going over every one of your Submissions.

[spoiler= Hungry Review]
-Electric Block-

Proper Wording: 3

Creative Design: 14

Overall Effectiveness: 12

Balance: 15

Food Puns: 3

Complexity of Combos: 8

Hungry Chef Cater is an interesting card, intended to be used to reveal a Hungry Burger in your hand to potentially Special Summon either a serious Play-Booster, or a 2100 ATK beatstick. Not a bad use of a Normal Summon, though if there’s no Hungry Burger in sight, I’ll start to cry. Hungry Chef Contester, the aforementioned ‘beatstick’, is a nice Self SS, with the ability to have Hungry Burger in the grave to prime for Hungry Hungry Burger Buffet, and that being said, let’s talk about that card. Pretty great for an extra shot at Turboing Hungry Burger, but that being said, Hungry Burger on its own isn’t much to see, but! Cater boosts Hungry Burger’s ATK by 1000, making him on-par with Blue Eyes, and a pretty useful counter to Catastor, though, if someone were to summon him against this Deck, then shame on them. The potential to go 4000 ATK here is not to be left out of the question either! Server also allows you to search either HB or BR, which is pretty nice considering you can Turbo some pretty nice plays here with the right hand. The last “on-tribute” effect is Contestor, but his is rather disappointing unless you manage to either be a lucky Draw-er, or you’ve managed to last long enough to where you’d rather send cards back to the deck than search them out from the grave. He’s honestly best as being used as fodder for the XYZ, which we’ll talk about now! Culinary Terror, a presumed Searcher Boss Monster Nuke Hybrid, who is rocking a disgustingly potent non-targeting Equip-Steal Effect who’s just begging to be removed from the field via non-destruction effects. Unfortunately, he has two problems: 1 He’s Generic, meaning that any deck who can easily get two level 6 monsters out is a potential abuser of this card (I’m looking at you, Monarchs.), and that would, for the most part, mean that other Archetypes can potentially benefit more than this Archetype does running this monster, as this Archetype only has him (or her?) for non-targeting protection resistant removal, unlike some other Level 6 spamming Decks (*COUGH* GISHKI *COUGH*). And 2, the card doesn’t specify where you grab the Spell Card from, so -2 for Proper Wording, and -2 for balance. Overall, these cards would be a nice addition for Hungry Burger, though I feel as though some of its upsides either lack focus, or conflict with each other, such as, getting Hungry Burger out with 3000 ATK, only to waste that by XYZ summoning Terror for needed removal, and while there’s some wiggle room for some pretty Turbo Combos, ultimately, unless you’re pulling out Culinary Terror, and let’s be honest, this could easily be accomplished by any of the two Archetypes I mentioned in parenthesis (Especially with the ability to search ANY RITUAL CARD (Inb4 Aquamirror)), it’s about on par with a weakened Blue Eyes Deck minus the potent draw power that Dragon Decks have. On the plus side, with a proper Warrior Support build, I could see some Nasty Turbos coming from this the likes of which Hungry Burger could only dream of.

-Calain-

Proper Wording: 4

Overall Effectiveness: 7

Balance: 15

Food Puns: 4

Complexity of Combos: 5

While I see that you put some thought into Techs available for the cards that you created, many of their activations are so difficult and inconsistent to rely on, I can’t help but feel like they’d end up bricking you for much longer than it takes for your opponent to OTK you in most situations. Sneaky Salad requires a Burger Monster to be targeted, but this doesn’t include Berserker Beef, Ketchup, or Salad itself, making it a bricking liability, and a rather strange Tuner in a Deck that doesn’t explicitly have an effective way to Turbo. Berserker Beef is a Union with no way to Special Summon itself, and lacks Special Summon support, leaving you with little choice but to spend a Normal Summon on him to get any effectiveness from him. While he’s good for Destruction Protection, he forces your monster to attack, which has to be a Burger Monster, adding the bricking liability seen in Salad even moreso, and it forces your monster to attack EVERY Monster your opponent controls, and doesn’t increase a monster’s ATK. This is a rather out of place card that has nothing useful to Equip itself to, and on its own, is an 800 ATK Level 2 with 0 DEF, making his life expectancy roughly 5 Seconds into your opponent’s Battle Phase, or in intended scenarios, about 5 Seconds into your Battle Phase. Ketchup King of Chaos is an interesting beatstick, except that you not only need to have Hungry Burger in the Graveyard, but you also need to have a monster on the field to Tribute to Special Summon him, and his only useful effect means he has to survive until your Standby Phase, while having no protection, and Teching the effect onto your monsters leaves you with underwhelming ‘Burger’ monsters, and using it on your opponent’s monsters does little to combat any 3k+ Beater, with no way to take advantage of them becoming ‘Dark Burger Minion’, aside from name disruption. The Bill, Please is an oddly specific Trap that requires your Burger monster to be destroyed during THEIR turn to give them a choice between 1500 burn damage, or milling 3, which in most cases, milling 3 would actually benefit your opponent in the Graveyard reliant age. It also has the restriction that you can only activate 1 “Diner Bill” per turn, which is hardly a negative considering that activating 3 of these in 1 turn would hardly be overpowered, and “Diner Bill” does not exist, though I’m assuming it’s supposed to say “The Bill, Please”. I do, however love that evil little face that he has in the art work. I should take this time to say that I love the artwork you made for these cards, I feel like if I didn’t add the stipulation that you wouldn’t receive bonus points for providing images, I’d be adding them, however, I suppose I only said providing images, and not creating images. For the cuteness of these designs, and how well they stand behind the design philosophy of Yugioh Artwork, I’ll award you 5 Bonus Points, one for each card. That being said, we move onto the final card in this submission. Half-Eaten Burger is a Level 5 flip monster that summons 2 Level 1 Tokens with no relevant ATK and DEF, and they grant battle immunity to your non-token Burger monsters. Honestly not bad, if ignoring the fact that he requires a Tribute Summon with no ability to Special Summon him face-down. Quite unfortunate, because otherwise he’d be the best fodder for Hungry Burger in this submission. One big thing these cards are missing are ways to make Hungry Burger more useful, powerful, and consistent, and instead they add slight benefits/requirements of running Hungry Burger to use their slightly useful effects.

-The King-

Proper Wording: 5

Creative Design: 12

Overall Effectiveness: 8

Balance: 10

Food Puns: 2

Complexity of Combos: 2

While the Hungry Chef effect alone is a decent 2600 ATK beatstick Support card, the fact that it’s a Rank 6 leaves a lot to be desired. If he were a generic rank 3 or 4, he’d be far more useful, and not rely on already being an upwards of a 6 card investment, presuming 2 Hungry Burgers are attached to him. He should be a way to get out Hungry Burger to start, not have 2 Hungry Burgers then use him to recycle Hungry Burgers. Also, his requirement to be destroyed by an opponent’s effect leaves him vulnerable to Attack, and non-destruction removal. Heck, if he were a Rank 4 with ways to boost the effectiveness of Hungry Burger, it’d make Hungry Burger splashable even in a Deck like Six Samurai.

-Major’s Shadow-

Proper Wording: 3

Overall Effectiveness: 15

Balance: 16

Food Puns: 5

Complexity of Combos: 9

Winner Chicken Dinner? Why yes please! This card is excellent for Turboing Hungry Burger, and let’s be honest, for a card that is only a 2000 ATK Beatstick, I’m totally fine with this. Since its Summon effect allows you to add a variety of your spell cards, and the traditional Hungry Recipe ritual, you can easily search just the right spell for the occasion your hand requires.  Gather the Ingredients is an excellent upgrade to the Hamburger Recipe, acting as a sort of Future Fusion for Hungry Burger, which is so beyond Amazing for the guy, this is easily one of the funnest cards here to start with. Also, the photoshopped monsters here are absolutely hilarious, and quite relevant to what you might actually be running in the deck. Knife to Meet Ya! Adds some pretty effective non-destruction removal that’s recyclable to Hungry Burger, giving you a pretty formidable way to mess with the opponent’s field with some seriously high risk high reward interruption going on. A great way to use that 2k Meatstick for some highly potent burst removal. My only problem here, and a rather important one, is that you don’t specify where you add the card from, and this is very crucial to this card’s effect, and because of this, I’m deducting 2 from Proper Wording, and 3 from Balance. And finally, down to Soups Up!, another amazing non-destruction interruption card that, from the grave can recycle Hungry Burger and any of its now two Ritual Spells, gives Hungry Burger much more recyclability. These 5 cards are a great example of how to turn an otherwise useless set of cards into a formidable non-OTK force to be reckoned with, that will just keep coming back to serve up some righteous seconds. And since the card artworks for the spells here made me laugh so much, and they had some effort put into them, I’ll reward you 3 Bonus Points, 1 point for each card.

Electric Block: 55
Calain: 54
The King: 39
Major's Shadow: 65
Sleepy: N/A :C

JellisOP: N/A :C

With that, a winner is Declared! Major's Shadow! You have appeased my Hungry Appetite, and as such, you shall be rewarded in a manner most grand! PM me for your rewards, and I will give you a time when we can review that any archetype of your choice, along with your other rewards. As for the other contestants, Thank You very much for your contributions, and I'll be sending you your participation rewards within the next couple of days, I've almost perfected the Technology of Converting Pizza Rolls into Digital Form!

Archived