Do you wanna be the very best? Like no one ever was? [Pokemon Playthrough Writing Competition]

BANZAI!!!!

Do you wanna be the very best? Like no one ever was?

Event Duration: November 18th 2016- May 18th 2017

Pokemon Playthrough Writing Competition

In which YCM's writers play through the main story of a Pokemon game of their choice, and then write a fic based on that playthrough, with their player character as the protagonist.

How this will work

If you wish to enter the contest, post in this thread. Once you've entered, you'll choose any Pokemon game (core series, rom hack/fan game, or spinoff), and play through the main storyline, (Nuzlockes, Randomizers, or Challenge runs of any variety are allowed, for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing) recording events you deem significant as you go, until you've reached an end point, which can be anything from the end of the pokemon league, to the completion of a post-game storyline, or any point during gameplay that you deem fit to be an ending to your story.

After that you'll write a fic based on your gameplay, featuring your player character as the protagonist. You're free to omit or embellish details as you see fit, but do try to stick to the events and quirks of your playthrough (defeats, captures, what have you) when writing, since that's half the fun. After you're finished, you must submit your work to me here by May 18th 2017. With consideration to timezone differences between myself and potential contestants, entries submitted on May 19th are acceptable.

After the deadline, I will post all of the submissions in a separate thread in Creative Writing, after which, voting will begin on May 20th, and last until June 3rd so as to give any judges a full two weeks to read through all of the submissions. Anyone who is not participating in the competition may volunteer to be a judge by posting in this thread, and on the off chance that no one volunteers, I will be judging the submissions myself instead of participating.

All entrants who successfully submit a piece that qualifies will receive a brofist from yours truly (and maybe some points if our gracious moderator overlords are willing), and the winner will be able to negotiate a prize from the following list:

• 3(THREE) name change items
  • Topic color and two-week pin
  • 1000 points (subject to grow as I acquire funding)
  • A coupon for one free beer with your best buddy (and future YCM president) Zai
  • A PM'd love confession from your favorite mod team member

In addition, the winner will receive a permanent custom member group (courtesy of the mods) as well as a set of custom sprites of their Player Character and their core pokemon/team (assuming they have one) as they are depicted in the winning entry (courtesy of me). You can do whatever you like with them, but unlike the prizes above, you don't have a choice in the matter ;)

Submission Guidelines

• Submissions may be of any length, (so long as they meet the standards of the creative writing section) however it is recommended that submissions be lengthier serialized stories (hence the long submission time).
  • Stories must be titled, however chapters or any other divisions need not be.
  • Authorship will be kept anonymous until the results are finalized, and only I will be aware of the authorship of any submitted pieces.
  • Other YCM rules and Creative Writing section rules apply.

I'm in.

Can we play a self insert as the player character, instead of the proper player character? Like, I mean not writing the fic as Red/Green, Gold/Kris, May/Brendan, or etc?

Same question. If we can have the self insert kind of deal, I'm totally interested in doing this.

I'm in.

Can we play a self insert as the player character, instead of the proper player character? Like, I mean not writing the fic as Red/Green, Gold/Kris, May/Brendan, or etc?

That's entirely up to you. You're free to insert yourself or your YCM persona, create an original character, or even write the fic from the perspective of the default protagonist. 

Archived