Heaven's Astronomer

kevintriedge

LtehBQm.jpg

[spoiler=Original text]

Heaven's Astronomer, Sorana

LIGHT / Spellcaster / Level 4 / ATK 1800 / DEF 1600

While you control another face-up monster, monsters on the field can only attack monsters with equal or higher Level/Rank, or that are face-down. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with equal or higher Level/Rank than this card; While this card is face-up, the target cannot activate its effects on the field, until the end of this turn or until it destroys a monster by battle. If this card battles a Level 5 or higher monster, this card gains 500 ATK and DEF during the damage calculation.

[spoiler=Errata'd text]

Heaven's Astronomer, Sorana

LIGHT / Spellcaster / Level 4 / ATK 1800 / DEF 1600

While you control another face-up monster, monsters on the field can only attack monsters with equal or higher Level/Rank, or that are face-down. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with equal or higher Level/Rank than this card; While this card is face-up, the target cannot activate its effects on the field, until the end of this turn or until it destroys a monster by battle. If this card battles a Level/Rank 5 or higher monster, this card gains 700 ATK and DEF during the damage calculation.

I want to make a generic card that can be used to limit the moves opponent can make, while at the same time not being too restrictive that it becomes too good. The situational-ness of her effect is somewhat intentional in that regard. Her effects are designed to help preventing your opponent from overpowering your field with multiple high Level/Rank monsters, since most boss monsters have Level/Rank above 5.

Her movement-limiting effect is inspired by her astronomer profession. You know, dealing with planetary alignments and stuff.

Image credits: Image is ripped from QuizRPG: World of Mystic Wiz mobile game as transparent png, while the background was made using Photoshop and a space stock photo from Google.

Level attack locks, effect shutdowns (R4NK and higher too, so that's cool), and gets a small boost if it battles a higher monster. You know that whis reminds me of? 

Denko Sekka. 

Not the biggest piecemeal in the yard, no, but its presence helped to mix up a format overreliant on a certain card type, like Jinzo before her. (In this case, it's that monsters do everything the Spells/Traps used to do, starting-really, with Stardust and the Synchros, thus rendering Traps semi-obsolete unless horrifyingly broken and Spells as an engine to spam out more walking floodgates. Hello Turn 0 gameplay.)

Perhaps it might take a monster to counteract this too, strange as it was in the previous instances. So this card can easily stop most of the roving Xyzes if they're not coming out in a fast-enough clipe-especially the Summon-triggered ones (u mad Satellarknights?) 2300 ATK isn't much to handle most of the Level 5 and above-ers-I mean, most of them are at 2400 minimum (think the Monarch standard.

I'd actually suggest raising Heaven's Astronomer to a cool 3000. Make Crystal Wing and Ignister work to get back their field advantage. Especially yeah, scratch that, they're not touching this card anyways. But if you want this to hit mid-tier boss monsters without being too TOO busted, maybe make it so it's ATK becomes 2500 or more. Your call of course, but it'll help it get over some midtier threats you may yet need to on your turn.

Other than that, s'an amazing piece of awesome. MOAR PLZ. 

Thank you for the elaborate analysis! 

Yes, I intended it to be more like Denko Sekka or Rai-Oh, a generic card that limits certain options, while at the same time intentionally made her a little more situational than those Thunder monsters so she won't be a no-brainer to put in a deck.

You have a point about the ATK. I will errata her later. 

Archived