Laval Wasteland Damsel (Lavals: Melting Down the Opposition Since 2010)

Black D'Sceptyr

It's cute. It supports my favorite FIRE archetype (sorry not sorry Metalfoes.) It supports my third-favorite Type (Pyro, just before Zombies because Ghostricks, and Fiends cuz YUBEL.) And it's not even over the 500 mark. 

Also, this is supporting a wayback Archetype, one that's already been crippled by their main trump card being Limited. So yeah, NO HOPT-IONS for THIS babe. Seriously. Everyone getting their jimmies in a bunch over their spilled milk spaghetti because something that overly benefits one Archetype overly benefits them. 

OUTTA HERE WITH THAT. 

And in with our new firespitting loli overlords. 

laval_wasteland_damsel_by_bdsceptyr-dapa

[spoiler=Laval Wasteland Damsel: Info]

FIRE/Warrior-Type Effect Monster/Level 4/500 ATK/200 DEF

Lore: If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon both this card (from your hand) and 1 "Laval" monster with 400 or less ATK from your Deck, but banish them when they leave the field. If this card in your Graveyard is banished: You can target 1 Pyro-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

BDS has spoken. 

May the reviews and revelry arrive in abundance.

Not quite seeing the immediate usage of this card in terms of the first effect. How did you intend for it to be used?

S'posed to speed out the Synchros in a first run, (remember, Laval Miller's within parameters of this card, so this is an early Level 7 Synchro in the wings, hello Ancient Flamvell Deity) and setup for Laval Cannon in one fell swoop. 

Main attraction's still the Mezuki-like second effect. Molten Conduction field plays are stupid easy now-this and Handmaiden, mill Maiden, mill Maiden, mill Lakeside Lady, use Lakeside Lady and this, summon Pyro, pwn face.

Though thanks for getting me another look at this card-I goofed on Damsel's ATK, it should be 400 as well.

I know you don't want to bind this card to any OPT clauses to support Lavals as much as possible with a single card, but looks like you are taking it too far here. For starters, the first effect doesn't start a chain nor anything, making it difficult for the opponent to respond on the Summon. Then, it can Summon a copy of itself, so it's already a Level4 TGU of sorts for an easy Rank4. Granted, Terrortop engine also does this BUT Konami doing it doesn't mean it's fine for card makers to do it too, and at the very least Terrortop requires a different Speedroid, in its case Taketomborg, whereas this can sustain itself, plus the Rank4 pool is much more versatile than the Rank3. And as if that wasn't enough, the last effect further supports this Rank4 approach, since once both are detached, you can find your way to banish Damsel #1 and revive Damsel #2. And that's for Xyz plays; I have not broken down yet how this card would assist Lavals with Synchro laddering and Summoning Quasar(s), which was pretty much their win condition back when they were at their best.

Really, the only thing holding this card back is its situational condition of no monsters on the field, but being drawn in the first turn should be all what it needs to potentially build a big board.

An easy fix is to not let Summon itself: doing so will kill the above Rank4 application. However, it still remains to review its ability of providing 2 monsters, including at least 1 Tuner (itself),without spending a Normal Summon for potentially unfair Quasar plays. And emphasis on "potential" because even if it indeed leads to Quasar plays, then you have to compare it to other decks dedicated to Quasar as well, such as Synchrons.

P.D. The character in the artwork seems familiar for some reason. Can you tell me if it's a character from a series or from somewhere else?

Right, starting with Darj's take today. 

I know you don't want to bind this card to any OPT clauses to support Lavals as much as possible with a single card, but looks like you are taking it too far here. For starters, the first effect doesn't start a chain nor anything, making it difficult for the opponent to respond on the Summon. Then, it can Summon a copy of itself, so it's already a Level4 TGU of sorts for an easy Rank4. Granted, Terrortop engine also does this BUT Konami doing it doesn't mean it's fine for card makers to do it too, and at the very least Terrortop requires a different Speedroid, in its case Taketomborg, whereas this can sustain itself, plus the Rank4 pool is much more versatile than the Rank3. And as if that wasn't enough, the last effect further supports this Rank4 approach, since once both are detached, you can find your way to banish Damsel #1 and revive Damsel #2. And that's for Xyz plays; I have not broken down yet how this card would assist Lavals with Synchro laddering and Summoning Quasar(s), which was pretty much their win condition back when they were at their best.

P.D. The character in the artwork seems familiar for some reason. Can you tell me if it's a character from a series or from somewhere else?

The card's purpose is to bring it back to some level of power, and that has little chance of happening without proper Setup. Main weakness of the Lavals how little they have to go into within their own Archetype that doesn't -1 or requires some hefty specific condition to pull off. But I did previously have this card at 500 to keep itself from being summoned-something I changed at the last second cause I was salivating at the thought of Infernal Flame Vixen being cool again.

As it is, this only summons 3 Tuners and a Level 3 non-Tuner, so the pool is limited, but powerful for Level 7 Synchros. Really, that's all it can do, so that game is well re-established.

So, my choices are either to limit it to summoning only FIRE monsters-which would only force it into the xenophobic cudgel I normally rag on support for doing-or reestablishing that lock. Going with the latter for now.

And as for your last inquiry...

It seems to be a cover art for something called Comitir 107, but the link's here if you wish to pursue it further.

Archived