[AGM] Heartless Horseman: Battle Phase Nightmares! (6/6)

Dova

[spoiler=AGM Prompt:]Heartless Horseman

A bundle of Fiend-Type monsters with quite a few awesome battle effects, running the gamut from SS a member from pretty much anywhere on successful attack, to Ancient Gear and Armades clauses, to multi-attack, to doubled piercing, all the way up to Flame Wingman and anime!Frightfur Bear level of abilities. There's only one problem: All of them have 0 base ATK! How do they compensate? A ridiculously searchable and recyclable Field Spell that gives them decently large ATK gain at the start of each Battle Phase. They take a little while to set up, but once they do you're kinda screwed.

[spoiler=Monsters (5):]pHB2YuA.png

At the end of the Damage Step, if this card battled: Special Summon 1 “Heartless Horseman” monster from your Deck or Graveyard, except for “Heartless Horseman Vermina”. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Broken Seal" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Heartless Horseman Vermina" once per turn.

n0y09XJ.png

If this card battles, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step. During either player's turn: You can tribute 1 "Heartless Horseman" monster you control; add 1 "Broken Seal" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Heartless Horseman Blanca" once per turn.

AQMvazH.png

If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can equip that monster to this card. This card gains DEF equal to the total DEF of any monsters equipped to this card by this effect. You can send 1 card in your Spell/Trap Zone to the Graveyard; add 1 "Heartless Horseman" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Heartless Horseman Deseeka" once per turn.

GBV4aCH.png

This card cannot attack while you control a monster other than a "Heartless Horseman" monster. If this card declares an attack: You can activate this effect; Your opponent takes no damage for the rest of this turn, also this card can attack each monster your opponent controls once each. If you control "Broken Seal": You can banish this card from your Graveyard; draw 1 card then reveal it, and, if the card drawn by this effect is a "Heartless Horseman" monster, you can send it to the Graveyard to draw 1 more card. You can only use this effect of "Heartless Horseman Guarra" once per turn.

0zqVbPM.png

If this card battles an opponent's monster, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is doubled. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster your opponent controls, deal piercing damage to your opponent. You can target 1 other face-up card you control; destroy it, also Special Summon 1 "Heartless Horseman" monster from your Deck. You cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck for the rest of the turn you activate this effect. You can only use this effect of "Heartless Horseman Doa" once per turn.

[spoiler=Main Field (1):]zJMMWFE.png

During the Battle Phase, all "Heartless Horseman" monsters you control gain ATK equal to their DEF x2. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Heartless Horseman" monster in your Graveyard or reveal 1 "Heartless Horseman" monster in your hand; Special Summon it, but you cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn. If this card is targeted by a card or effect: You can banish it until the start of the next Battle Phase. You can only use this effect of "Broken Seal" once per turn.

CnC would be appreciated ^^

Well, you weren't kiddind about ridiculously searchable and recyclable Field Spell. Even if you don't use their effects to add it, you could always just use Terraforming to add it.

Vermina: Good Special Summon effect that helps bring out the other members, but prevents it from Summoning copies of itself and goes off at the end of the Damage Step, so your opponent is not immediately hit by another.

Blanca: Ancient Gear-eske effect. Not much to say about this one. Only helps keep your battles from going uninterrupted.

Deseeka: A pretty good beatstick for this archetype that steals your opponent's monsters.

Guarra: This card's not going to see a lot of use battle-wise, given how restricted it is. You'd need to draw this on an empty field to accomplish the first effect.

Doa: A rather odd card that doubles damage to your opponent. Kind of like an offensive Stone Statue of the Aztecs.

Broken Seal: The card the whole archetype revolves around. A must for their gimmick, given the ATK increase. And a banish effect to dodge removal (going to need non-targeting remova for this one).

All in all, an amusing/intersting archetype with a gimmick that hasn't been done before. I really like the gimmick and the overall presentation of the archetype (gimmick, differing Attributes coupled with the Type, images, and how relatively simple it is to use). Well done!

Vermina: Nice searching, unfortunately it’s kind of slow, and won’t work first turn, but it’s still nice nonetheless. Think that semi colon after Graveyard should be a regular colon though, as being sent to the Graveyard isn’t a cost in this scenario

Blanca: Armades on a possible 2800 attacker is nice, I think it’s even something you could extend to the whole archetype. By the way, the wording on the effect has actually changed recently to: “If this card battles, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step.” The tribute effect is nice, though I wish it could Tribute any “Heartless Horseman” to avoid targeted effects.

Deseeka: Oh man, this would do wonders with Moon Mirror Shield, and it even outclasses Truckroid beatdown, love it. Second effect is also nice, and again, makes me think this would work well with Equip Spells too.

Guarra: Wish it could attack everything for free, but this is more easily summonable than Ancient Gear Chaos Giant, and with 4K possible ATK, I could understand how that might be a bit overpowered. Still, I think if you made it so that restriction applied if you controlled a non-“Heartless Horseman” monster, it’d be fine.

Doa: I think it’d be better to word it like “Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon”

“If this card battles an opponent's monster, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is doubled. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster your opponent controls, deal piercing damage to your opponent.”

Broken Seal: Honestly pretty nice, it can protect itself from targeted effects, and allows for some nice beatdown. Kind of wish it possibly allowed you to swarm a bit, just so beatdown was more viable, because as of right now, it’s going to be hard to do that.

Overall: The field spell as a way to change your 0 ATK monsters in beatsticks is a really fun, unique, and interesting way overall to tackle it. I wish the second effects didn’t just search the Field Spell though, and maybe offered some staples, like drawing, swarming, searching, or removal, seeing as the Field Spell is searchable by Terraforming, and probably doesn’t need to be searched multiple times. Admittedly “Vermine” covers your swarming a bit, but it’s still a bit weak, and beyond setting it turn 1 to let it get run over, don’t see how you’re going to get the ball rolling too quickly. Also, I think the Field Spell could stand to do a bit more, like maybe a OPT revival of the Horseman, or it allows you to Normal Summon 1 in addition to your Normal Summon/Set, or maybe the Horseman can be SS’d from the hand for free while you control it, but you can’t Synchro or Xyz Summon.

I did a double-take on literally every Horseman and a triple-take on the Field Spell. For me, that's impressive because I come up with a lot of weird and out-there stuff. I like what you did here with these cards, it's a really cool idea. I actually would only have done four horsemen and made their names reference the four apocalyptic horsemen of Revelations, but in the end I think I like what you've done better. Perhaps add a sixth horseman, WATER Attribute, with a bounce effect that triggers when "Broken Seal" activates its Banish effect? As for the FS, it's pretty good while still being somewhat balanced, as any card that can either change it to Face-Down or shuffle it into the Deck while it's Banished will keep it from coming back without using more horsemen effects.

Archived