ITT: More Pendulum Changing Junk =9

First off: The idea is not meant as a critique about how Pendulums might or might not be IRL. I'm not saying "OMG so broken Pendulums ruin the game!!!" This is just a set of alterations because I think suggesting concepts that may shake things off a little is just fun. I pretty much acknowledge there are ways in which this will mostly pull the mechanic down, but at the same time it'll potentially give them extra support . How much? I don't know exactly. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Be it in a vacuum or taking what we have in the game and applying this. Speak your mind. If you don't like the idea, also please post it. I promise not to be pushy about getting points across or whatever. I don't wanna give off the vibe of "my idea is awesome I can't believe you think the way you do!", I just wanna hear you people's thoughts, no matter if you don't want to elaborate a whole lot.

Well with that said~

- - - - - - -

This is a repetition of an idea I already wrote about in the past, but adding even more changes now.

ITT:

-Pendulum Zones are no longer their own Zones. Instead, you can set the Scales by placing the Pendulum Cards in the middle of the column (halfway into a Monster Zone and a Spell/Trap Zone, essentially using up both. You need both to be unoccupied to set them up.)

-The scales can be in whatever column of your field and you can even have more than 2 of them (because there are 5 columns in your board). You can Pendulum Summon as long as you have a pair that works (be mindful that it is easy to eat away at your field with these changes though).

-Scales can be "set" now.

-Pendulums are now Monster Spells at all times, and as such are affected by everything affecting either of those kinds of cards, but Scales are still making the function of Spells so you can't use them as Materials or Tributes or attack with them, even if you can technically alter their stats and stuff.

It basically means you can destroy Pendulums with Dark Hole or Heavy Storm alike regardless of where they are on the field, but you can also search/recycle them with cards that'd work on both types of card too.

- - - - - - -

If something was worded in a confusing way, feel free to tell me. I'll try to fix it up or explain it.

-Pendulum Zones are no longer their own Zones. Instead, you can set the Scales by placing the Pendulum Cards in the middle of the column

(halfway into a Monster Zone and a Spell/Trap Zone, essentially using up both. You need both to be unoccupied to set them up.)

I'll just take a moment to say how much I love this idea. Dunno if I mentioned it in the last thread, but this would keep the concept but at the same time hurt Pendulum Summoning as a whole. This would've made Wavering Eyes not exist (at least not in its current form), and cards which pop your own Pendulum Zones would've been really useful. Pendulum archetypes would've taken a hit as well, and would've had to have been much stronger to keep up with today's meta. Or maybe Konami would've power creeped less, who knows.

-The scales can be in whatever column of your field and you can even have more than 2 of them (because there are 5 columns in your board). You can Pendulum Summon as long as you have a pair that works (be mindful that it is easy to eat away at your field with these changes though).

This is...surprisingly brilliant. Got a bad pair of scales? No matter, just give up some field advantage for it. This would've created some more cards that destroyed Pendulum Scales, and might've made Pendulums a bit less popular. But honestly, changes like this  make it hard to guage actual power

-Scales can be "set" now.

Despite the Novelty of this, the only use I see for it is either having Quick-Play Pendulum Spell Cards, somehow, which might be a little interesting, or getting over Anti-Spell Fragrance. Yes, the latter reason does prevent Fragrance from being a complete killler, but what were your intentions for introducing this feature?

-Pendulums are now Monster Spells at all times, and as such are affected by everything affecting either of those kinds of cards, but Scales are still making the function of Spells so you can't use them as Materials or Tributes or attack with them, even if you can technically alter their stats and stuff.

It basically means you can destroy Pendulums with Dark Hole or Heavy Storm alike regardless of where they are on the field, but you can also search/recycle them with cards that'd work on both types of card too.

I would suggest not, considering the amount of nerfing you have done already. There are benefits for you for this, but they are minimal compared to the weaknesses created. Quick question: Would you be able to attack them, not with them, or would they merely not prevent you from attacking your opponent directly?

I would suggest not, considering the amount of nerfing you have done already. There are benefits for you for this, but they are minimal compared to the weaknesses created. Quick question: Would you be able to attack them, not with them, or would they merely not prevent you from attacking your opponent directly?

The "set" part is basically because Anti-Spell Fragrance xD

Pendulum Traps or something alike would add even more rulings so IDK, that's pretty much a topic of its own.

Yeah, other than that, you are right that it doesn't serve any other real purpose.

They'd be affected by effects that affect either Spells or Monsters, but as Scales, they'd not have the functions of monsters. They wouldn't attack, defend, be used for Tribute/Xyz/Synchro Summons, etc. You could still affect them with Effect Veiler, MST, Forbidden Lance, etc, but that's about the idea. 

As I wrote it, I found it harder to pinpoint something clear for this than I had initially expected though... For example, Ritual/Fusion usage is technically effects affecting them, so that's a loop I couldn't get past without falling into contradictions.... Things like that.

=)

I don't really see how it breaks the mechanic any harder, and it honestly feels like a hard nerf. While I agree that Pendulum Scales really shouldn't be hard countered by Anti-Spell Fragrance, it effectively limits the number of monsters being able to be PS'd at any one time. Having mutiple "scales" is neat, but removing your monster zones AND spell/trap zones to do so seems like a weak trade-off.

As a side-note, I'd assume that any card effects that talk about Pendulum Zones are automatically errata'd to specify Pendulum monsters half-set in the zones.

I don't really see how it breaks the mechanic any harder, and it honestly feels like a hard nerf. While I agree that Pendulum Scales really shouldn't be hard countered by Anti-Spell Fragrance, it effectively limits the number of monsters being able to be PS'd at any one time. Having mutiple "scales" is neat, but removing your monster zones AND spell/trap zones to do so seems like a weak trade-off.

As a side-note, I'd assume that any card effects that talk about Pendulum Zones are automatically errata'd to specify Pendulum monsters half-set in the zones.

After your post I re-read the OP.... Yeah. "Breaks even further" was a terrible choice of words from my part. I'll edit that, somehow.

What it refers to is that effects that protect, search, or recycle any Spells now would work towards Pendulums, giving them further generic support. Little things like DMoC, Magician of Faith (inb4Sleepy get on with the times), or archetype-support since Pendulums would technically be archetype Spell Cards. Strangely enough off the top of my head I can only think of Metalfoes right now, although it'd need the "can be set" part to also be accepted...

Archived