[Written] Blue-Eyes Pendulum Pair that can't Pendulum Summon

leafbladie

I know Pendulum monsters don't make the greatest sense for "Blue-Eyes", seeing as "Dragon Spirit of White" and "Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon" so perfectly counter them, but still, I thought it'd be fun to tackle the idea. Also, I'd do anything to keep my beloved Dragons meta relevant. Anyway, without further ado, here they are.

Wizard with Eyes of Blue

Spellcaster-Type/LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 1200/DEF 300 (Pendulum/Tuner)

Pendulum: You cannot Pendulum Summon. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you have a “Blue-Eyes” card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can target 1 Level 1 LIGHT Tuner monster in your Graveyard; return it to your hand. You can discard 1 card; add 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Wizard with Eyes of Blue" once per turn. Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can discard 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster, then target 1 LIGHT monster you control; it gains ATK equal to the discarded monster’s ATK until the end of this turn.

Monster: You can Special Summon this face-up card in your Extra Deck, by banishing 1 Level 1 LIGHT Tuner monster from your Graveyard. If this card is used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material for a Summon, all other Materials must be "Blue-Eyes" Monsters.

Blue-Eyes Silver Dragon

Dragon-Type/LIGHT/Level 8/ATK 2500/DEF 3000 Scale: 9/9 (Pendulum)

Pendulum: You cannot Pendulum Summon. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you have a “with Eyes of Blue” card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can target 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can discard 1 Level 8 "Blue-Eyes" monster; draw 2 cards. You can only use this effect of “Blue-Eyes Silver Dragon” once per turn. During either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Blue-Eyes" monster(s) you control: You can destroy this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

Monster: During either player’s turn, you can Special Summon this face-up card from your Extra Deck in Defense Position, by Tributing 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster you control. You can only Special Summon “Blue-Eyes Silver Dragon” once per turn this way. During your Standby Phase: You can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster from your hand or Graveyard, ignoring its summoning conditions, also it cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects until the end of the next turn.

RIght, I'll be blunt with these two cards. 

Wizard Apprentice with Eyes of Blue is okay Monster effect wise, though I'm strapped for options on how it's gonna expedite the Level 8 Synchro you got there without Spirit Dragon-and really, that'd be subpar, since everyone and grandmothers alike will STILL go for Azure-Eyes and Moonlight Rose first wait, never mind, Silver's a Main Deck Pendulum too-the Extra Deck chatter got me all confused.

SO. Apprentice. Would be okay with both him and Blue-Eyes Silver only letting you Pendulum Summon Normal Monsters. Unbrick the hell out of those BEWDs when the other 168 ways aren't fitting, and does the Master with Eyes of Blue thing. I'd, again, suggest it just hard Summon that LIGHT Tuner from the Graveyard-this requires so specific a Pendulum to go off the risk-reward protocol justifies it. Discarding to add a "Blue-Eyes" card feels a tad...uninspiring: I mean, if you don't want this being eclipsed by the Melody of Summoning Dragon. Perhaps working it off of Blue-Eyes' return to the Deck, to make Priestess workable again, might help: like raising another monster's Level to 8 to disturb your opponent's Synchro plays-or set up your Xyz/Ultimitl Bishbalquin plays (always felt that card was so underused, any help on that front would be appreciated.) But the BEWD-iful Honest effect is absolutely amazing-sets off Maiden, just like the Sage does, and can actually help ensure Maiden actually survives a battle to boot. Keep. THAT. If nothing else. 

Also, Apprentice's monster effect is fine. Definitely keeps him from being a sunk cost in the Extra Deck. May want to put the HOPT-ion there though-don't need a Lev 9 wave overriding us all...well...again (coughTrueKingscough)

Blue-Eyes Spirit Majestic Dragon feels better on the eyes. Perhaps make it a different Level than the other Blue-Eyes (7? 9? You decide), to keep it from being a tad too beneficial to the line-up. It'll still be Summonable by the normal methods, just allow it  to offer a tad more options to the Blue-Eyes line (go 7 and Arkbrave Dragon becomes buds with it, and if you go 9, Cloudcastle becomes its best friend. And so does V.F.D.)

Proto-Neo Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon effects are usually something I'm not a fan of seeing repeated, but given how underwhelming Neo was-and that this is a Pend effect, I'll let it slide. Discarding to draw is a bit...dicey to include as a PENDULUM effect, though.  

As a monster, I only suggest moving another Blue-Eyes monster from Grave into Deck as an additional Summoning condition (Y know if you don't go the Normal Monster route) to warrant the power this card grants you. Because Summoning up a potential Shining Dragon with Majespecter immunity by this card (another reason I dubbed it Sparkling Dragon) is something that 1) Azure-Eyes does incredibly well, anyway, and 2) may be a bit too late to be something people bother with. Again, the only thing this brings out, that their normal lineup can't easily reach, is Silver, Shining and the Fusions. And while I might play them again just to bandy about with them this turn, throwing out a 25K and hoping it lasts two turns to do so feels so unwieldy. My two cents, though. Maybe do it during either Standby Phase, but remove the immunities, or upon being shuffled into the Deck (again, to bring Priestess back into the fold. And to give the bird to IGNIIIIIIIIIIIISTER.) 

Other than that's cards are okay, mate. Keep on chugging on.

Wow, they may not be able to Pendulum Summon but they still look stupid good, in a "not fair" sense. I see more consistency and hand-fixing tools, a bit of summoning power, but overall they just do too much IMO: I mean, they have 3 Pendulum effects, 1 monster effect AND the boons of being Pendulum Monsters, including the safety of the Extra Deck. And the monster effect of Wizard is a red signal warning (so to speak), since it's pretty much a free +1 in the shape of a Level1 Tuner, which can be used in many ways, from an obvious Synchro Summon, to becoming a Tribute for an Summon or effect, to simply blocking an attack.

Besides, AFAIK Blue-Eyes are still a top tier decks and thus IMO they don't need, nor deserve, additional support for the time being.

By the way, this effect:

Blue-Eyes Silver Dragon

Dragon-Type/LIGHT/Level 8/ATK 2500/DEF 3000 Scale: 9/9 (Pendulum)

Pendulum: You cannot Pendulum Summon. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you have a “with Eyes of Blue” card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can target 1 “Blue-Eyes” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can discard 1 Level 8 "Blue-Eyes" monster; draw 2 cards. You can only use this effect of “Blue-Eyes Silver Dragon” once per turn. During either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Blue-Eyes" monster(s) you control: You can destroy this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

Destroying a card as cost isn't a thing in the game, making this condition an unrealistic effect, at least until Konami makes a card with such condition, but until then, what you should be using is destroying the card as part of the effect, just like Odd-Eyes Pendulum destroys itself and then searches the Pendulum:

During your End Phase: You can destroy this card, and if you do, add 1 Pendulum Monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each Pendulum Effect of "Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon" once per turn.

This means the effect of your card should be something like this:

During either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Blue-Eyes" monster(s) you control: You can destroy this card, and if you, negate the activation, and if you do that, destroy that card.

Archived