Periscorch Archetype (14/14)

Atypical-Abbie

Periscorch is an Archetype of Pyro-Type/DARK monsters with various Levels. They focus on self destruction, effect damage to your opponent and Fusion Summoning. Each monster has an effect similar to Yang Zings that work when it's destroyed by battle or effect, and they have various ways to destroy themselves, and they also each have another effect that activates on Normal and Special Summons. Their name is a portmanteau of Perish and Scorch, which is why they are DARK, and their names comes form various fire based things, mostly in the vein of burning things.

Main Deck Monsters:

Periscorch Emberling
Pyro-Type/DARK
Level 1
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 2 "Periscorch Tokens" (Pyro-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Emberling" once per turn.
500/500

Periscorch Firestarter
Pyro-Type/DARK
Level 2
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 "Periscorch" monster, also you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except "Periscorch" monsters. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Periscorch" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Firestarter" once per turn.
800/1000

Periscorch Coalmaker
Pyro-Type/DARK
Level 3
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Periscorch" monster from your hand, except "Periscorch Coalmaker". When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Periscorch" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Perioscorch Coalmaker". You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Coalmaker" once per turn.
400/1400

Periscorch Ignitier
Pyro-Type/DARK
Level 4
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Periscorch" monster you control, except this card; destroy that target, and if you do, draw 1 card. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Periscorch" monster in your Graveyard, except "Periscorch Igniter"; Special Summon that target, but its effects are negated, also it is destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Igniter" once per turn.
1500/1500

Periscorch Flamefuel
Pyro-Type/DARK
Level 4
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Periscorch" monster you control, except this card; destroy that target, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Periscorch" monster with a lower Level than that target in the Graveyard from your Deck, also it is destroyed during the End Phase. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Periscorch" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Flamefuel" once per turn.
1800/1100

Extra Deck Monsters:

Periscorch Burstblaze
Pyro-Type/DARK/Fusion
Level 5
2 "Periscorch" monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can target 1 "Periscorch Inferno" you control; place 2 Periscorch Counters on that target. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Periscorch" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, except "Periscorch Burstblaze", but it is destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Burstblaze" once per turn.
2000/2000

Periscorch Overheater
Pyro-Type/DARK/Fusion
Level 6
2 or more "Periscorch" monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each Fusion Material used for this card's Fusion Summon. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can destroy all monsters on the field. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Overheater" once per turn.
2400/2200

Periscorch Infernace
Pyro-Type/DARK/Fusion
Level 7
2 "Periscorch" monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can banish any number of "Periscorch" monsters in your Graveyard, then inflict 100 damage to your opponent for each of those monsters. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon as many "Periscorch Tokens" (Pyro-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) as possible. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Infernace" once per turn.
2100/2600

Periscorch Doompyre
Pyro-Type/DARK/Fusion
Level 8
2 "Periscorch" monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can target 1 of your banished "Periscorch" monsters; Special Summon that target. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Periscorch Doompyre" once per turn.
2500/2100

Spell/Trap Cards:

Periscorch Inferno
Field Spell Card
When a "Periscorch" monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can inflict 500 damage to your opponent, and if you do, place 1 Periscorch Counter on this card for each of those monsters. All "Periscorch" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each Periscorch Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 1 Periscorch Counter from this card, then target 1 "Periscorch" monster you control and 1 card your opponent control; destroy them.

Periscorch Soldering Fusion
Normal Spell Card
Fusion Summon 1 "Periscorch" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or your side of the field as Fusion Materials. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Periscorch" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, add this card from your Graveyard to your hand.

Periscorch Firestorm Fusion
Continuous Spell Card
When this card is activated: You can destroy as many "Periscorch" monsters you control as possible, and if you do, inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed. During your Main Phase 2: You can Fusion Summon 1 "Periscorch" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck by banishing monsters from your Graveyard as Fusion Material. You cannot Special Summon other monsters during the turn you activate this effect.

Periscorch Furnace
Continuous Trap Card
Once per turn: You can target 1 "Periscorch" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Periscorch Token" (Pyro-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). If exactly 1 "Periscorch Token" you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can destroy 1 other "Periscorch" monster you control or in your hand instead.

Periscorch Ignition Fusion
Normal Trap Card
Target 2 "Periscorch" monsters you control; destroy them, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Periscorch" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon). If a "Periscorch" Spell/Trap Card(s) you control would be destroyed by your opponent's card effect, you can banish this card from your Graveyard instead.

Burstblaze is interesting. When he is destroyed you basically gets to nuke the field, but with a delayed timer (End Phase if left alone, via Overheater exploding). If done in opponent's turn, it makes an interesting situation where the opponent is given a chance to try and do something before the End Phase (e.g. removing Overheater without destroying it, or set up an anti-destruction monster), it makes the game more fluid I think.

Furnace is nice, but since every possible target has a float effect, it's effectively a +1 per card per turn. I'd prefer to put something like a HOPT clause on its first effect (Red-Eyes Return which is a +1 per turn does it too). Besides, it has the second effect which is also quite nice and I think can be left as it is without giving additional clauses.

The same reasoning of +1 per card per turn applies to Soldering Fusion. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with +1 from the grave, but with its current effect you can use it indefinitely (once per turn, per card) until your opponent somehow banishes it from the Graveyard. It's more powerful than on-field Continuous card because it can't be destroyed by S/T-destroying effects. It might be better to change that into, instead of adding it from grave to hand, it banishes itself and fetches another copy of Fusion from the Deck. Therefore you have a somewhat limited number of times to abuse that effect. Think of it like the Ritual Spells with graveyard effects (Dark Dragon Ritual, Prediction Ritual, etc.). Or you can change the "cost" into sending a Periscorch monster to the grave instead so it's a +0 that works mainly to facilitate Fusion Summoning. Either one is fine, although I think the former is better.

All in all, it's a fun and interesting deck. It's also quite powerful without being too overwhelmingly OP.

If they had art, what would the monsters look like, in your mind?

Burstblaze is interesting. When he is destroyed you basically gets to nuke the field, but with a delayed timer (End Phase if left alone, via Overheater exploding). If done in opponent's turn, it makes an interesting situation where the opponent is given a chance to try and do something before the End Phase (e.g. removing Overheater without destroying it, or set up an anti-destruction monster), it makes the game more fluid I think.

Furnace is nice, but since every possible target has a float effect, it's effectively a +1 per card per turn. I'd prefer to put something like a HOPT clause on its first effect (Red-Eyes Return which is a +1 per turn does it too). Besides, it has the second effect which is also quite nice and I think can be left as it is without giving additional clauses.

The same reasoning of +1 per card per turn applies to Soldering Fusion. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with +1 from the grave, but with its current effect you can use it indefinitely (once per turn, per card) until your opponent somehow banishes it from the Graveyard. It's more powerful than on-field Continuous card because it can't be destroyed by S/T-destroying effects. It might be better to change that into, instead of adding it from grave to hand, it banishes itself and fetches another copy of Fusion from the Deck. Therefore you have a somewhat limited number of times to abuse that effect. Think of it like the Ritual Spells with graveyard effects (Dark Dragon Ritual, Prediction Ritual, etc.). Or you can change the "cost" into sending a Periscorch monster to the grave instead so it's a +0 that works mainly to facilitate Fusion Summoning. Either one is fine, although I think the former is better.

All in all, it's a fun and interesting deck. It's also quite powerful without being too overwhelmingly OP.

If they had art, what would the monsters look like, in your mind?

Furnace, I don't know, I actually thought it was a bit weak at first, but I may change it.

Soldering, sure, but you still need to use the card, meaning you'll be giving up two monsters, so it's not something you'll use more than once per turn I would feel. I won't be changing the fact that it blows up guys, that's the entire point of the card, but I may add a restriction to it.

I don't really think about art much, but thinking of demons with fire blazing out of them, something like Red Sprinter.

Overall I really like the concept and ideas behind the deck. 

I feel that all the normal monster's effect regarding "Special Summons" are fairly underused, since there seems to be

only 1 card that can special summon them but it negates their effects. It may be cool to add a third fusion monster than

could potentially fill this void of special summoning. Two fusions would get fairly stale I feel playing the deck, but a third

would probably give it just enough to feel new and different each time, as well as giving you more tools to react to situations.

Also I really like the ability for Burstblaze to special summon Overheater and then destroy him during the endphase, this is a field

nuke regardless of which fusion was originally special summoned, though that means that you will cycle through your fusion deck

resources a lot faster, especially since a field nuke may give you the resources to fusion summon again next turn through destruction

effects, potentially 2 or 3 fusion monsters per turn, which will result in your deck relying on the normal monster effects to play without

targets to fusion summon after a few turns. More fusion targets in the extra deck would probably, like I mentioned earlier, help fill the

void of special summon effects (since you can normally only normal summon once per turn, except with your one cards effect), as well

as fill the extra deck with more resources that wont be used up after 3 turns.

(I may add more as I think of things)

Also is there any reason Firestarter chooses to normal summon them, instead of special summon, since they get their effects either way.

Overall I really like the concept and ideas behind the deck. 

I feel that all the normal monster's effect regarding "Special Summons" are fairly underused, since there seems to be

only 1 card that can special summon them but it negates their effects. It may be cool to add a third fusion monster than

could potentially fill this void of special summoning. Two fusions would get fairly stale I feel playing the deck, but a third

would probably give it just enough to feel new and different each time, as well as giving you more tools to react to situations.

Also I really like the ability for Burstblaze to special summon Overheater and then destroy him during the endphase, this is a field

nuke regardless of which fusion was originally special summoned, though that means that you will cycle through your fusion deck

resources a lot faster, especially since a field nuke may give you the resources to fusion summon again next turn through destruction

effects, potentially 2 or 3 fusion monsters per turn, which will result in your deck relying on the normal monster effects to play without

targets to fusion summon after a few turns. More fusion targets in the extra deck would probably, like I mentioned earlier, help fill the

void of special summon effects (since you can normally only normal summon once per turn, except with your one cards effect), as well

as fill the extra deck with more resources that wont be used up after 3 turns.

(I may add more as I think of things)

Also is there any reason Firestarter chooses to normal summon them, instead of special summon, since they get their effects either way.

You must have missed Coalmaker, because that allows them their effects to activate. And yes, I do plan to make more Fusion Monsters, thought that was obvious since Burstblaze only has one monster it can Summon right now.

Oh lol Im sorry I did miss coalmaker. So that is a lot of effects if you have coalmaker and firestarter and another monster in your hand.

I think if you had 2 coalmaker and 3 firestarter in your hand you could summon them all :P

And awesome, will look forward to new fusions.

Archived