Spider-Man: Homecoming

Shradow

Okay, its official...aside from Guardians 2 and Thor 3...THIS is the movie I'm most hyped for next year!

Again, the Spider suit looks amazing! The Vulture suit looks better than I originally thought! Shocker, I do believe was the guy who was knocking the bus into Parker, but can't exactly be sure.

I also enjoy the fact that the kid Parker is friends with, Ned Leed, is a combination of both Ned Leed from the comics (originally was the Hobgoblin, but in other areas was just remaining as a Daily Bugle reporter) and Ganke Lee from the Ultimate universe (see the obvious love for Legos right there xD). Its an interesting idea so I'm sure it'll do well.

Also, I want to take it that the current possible love interest is Liz Allen? And I guess Michelle is just there to be a nerd too? *shrugs*

Okay, its official...aside from Guardians 2 and Thor 3...THIS is the movie I'm most hyped for next year!

Again, the Spider suit looks amazing! The Vulture suit looks better than I originally thought! Shocker, I do believe was the guy who was knocking the bus into Parker, but can't exactly be sure.

I also enjoy the fact that the kid Parker is friends with, Ned Leed, is a combination of both Ned Leed from the comics (originally was the Hobgoblin, but in other areas was just remaining as a Daily Bugle reporter) and Ganke Lee from the Ultimate universe (see the obvious love for Legos right there xD). Its an interesting idea so I'm sure it'll do well.

Also, I want to take it that the current possible love interest is Liz Allen? And I guess Michelle is just there to be a nerd too? *shrugs*

Well, Hobgoblin wasn't Hobgoblin. He was brainwashed by the actual Hobgoblin and planted as a decoy.

Yes, that's supposed to be Liz Allen, though I doubt Michelle will be a nerd. She's a mysterious, especially considering the rumors that she may actually be Mary Jane.

1Well, Hobgoblin wasn't Hobgoblin. He was brainwashed by the actual Hobgoblin and planted as a decoy.

2Yes, that's supposed to be Liz Allen, though I doubt Michelle will be a nerd. She's a mysterious, especially considering the rumors that she may actually be Mary Jane.

1. Huh...didn't know that. Interesting xD

2. Well, its what I was under the assumption atm with Michelle. As for her being MJ, well she would've already had the red hair at this point, wouldn't she?

Wow, that Vulture is amazing, like... damn. I'm not a devoted follower of Spider Man but I have seen a bit of the Vulture and always regarded it as kinda lame because of its appearance and powers (practically just flying) but this "overhaul" on him is just amazing with that hazard-ish helmet and he mechanical wings with those propellers; as of now I see the character in an entirely different way. Kind of reminds me of what the previous Spiderman movie did for Rhino, taking the mechatronical approach for interpreting their powers, as opposed to focusing too much on mutations or biological enhancements. It's really exciting for me.

Also, I like this I idea or suspicion I got that this Vulture may stem from the technological race, so to speak, on suits & exoskeletons that in a way Stark started with Iron Man; the 2nd Iron Man movie is about that, after all. Heck, even Iron Man appears in this movie, further sustaining this suspicion of Stark Industries being related to this new Vulture.

I agree, I really like the look of Vulture in this one. The helmet and pilot-esque look is really cool, his classic look with this green spandex really wouldn't have worked nowadays.

Also, based on this taking place after Civi War, thank god they're not doing another origin story. We get it, Uncle Ben is dead, and Peter had a bad time at the spider factory, we get it. Maybe include a little flashback or callback in the dialogue or something just in case, but it's been told to death so many times I'm done with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh, missed this thread.

I'm with Sonic, this is the movie I'm hyped for most next year. I've liked all 5 of the other Spider-Man movies (yes, even 3 and ASM2) but I'm particularly excited for this since it looks like they finally nailed Peter Parker's character. Tobey and Andrew emphasized great aspects of both, but Tom strikes the perfect balance.

The action looks good; I'm excited to see if Michael Keaton will break the MCU streak of bad villains. I think he and the higher-ups will have a sense of humor about writing the role; they totally cast him on purpose after Birdman.

Shocker's in the movie, I think he'll be an intro villain like Rhino was. I'm game for that approach since it lets them throw in lower-tier villains that couldn't carry their own film. I didn't realize the best friend was Ned Leed, I did notice the Ganke parallels but that's interesting.

As for Mary Jane, I don't think Zendaya's her. What I'm hoping they could do (assuming not but you never know) is that they already secretly cast her and Aunt May's going to try and tell Peter something the whole movie, that she set him up for the big dance with her neighbor's niece. And the film ends with her at the door, "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

• 6 months later...

[spoiler=My slightly long-winded thoughts]

I HATED IT

Nah I kid, this movie's absolutely great.

Huh, missed this thread.

I'm with Sonic, this is the movie I'm hyped for most next year. I've liked all 5 of the other Spider-Man movies (yes, even 3 and ASM2) but I'm particularly excited for this since it looks like they finally nailed Peter Parker's character. Tobey and Andrew emphasized great aspects of both, but Tom strikes the perfect balance.

I was right, Tom Holland was great. He was earnest, little awkward, sometimes selfish (he's a teenager), and imperfect. He was perfect.

Everyone could tell going in, but this movie isn't really faithful to the comics at all. That's not a knock or praise, just a matter of fact. But it definitely feels special, I liked the dynamics we had in the cast. Peter felt like Peter and the balance I mentioned was totally stricken. Cannot wait for Homecoming 2.

The action looks good; I'm excited to see if Michael Keaton will break the MCU streak of bad villains. I think he and the higher-ups will have a sense of humor about writing the role; they totally cast him on purpose after Birdman.

He did! What universe am I living in where I can say the Vulture is one of my favorite Marvel movie villains??

Keaton carried his character well. You get his motivations and they're not contrived just because he's mwahaha evil. And I think he's a little likable too. And I was completely caught off-guard when he answered the door. That whole awkward scene with them before prom and on the ride there when he figures out his identity was priceless.

Shocker's in the movie, I think he'll be an intro villain like Rhino was. I'm game for that approach since it lets them throw in lower-tier villains that couldn't carry their own film. I didn't realize the best friend was Ned Leed, I did notice the Ganke parallels but that's interesting.

More or less right with Shocker. I liked all the little nods in Vulture's crew. All the henchmen's names belong to other Spidey villains:

-The 2 Shockers were Montana and Herman Schultz. Montana was Shocker in the Spectacular Spider-Man show, so I guess that was a little nod. And he even had a whip-weapon in the movie, just like the comic character.

-Phineas Mason, the Tinkerer. He upgraded Vulture's tech, much like how he upgraded villain tech in the comics.

-Mac Gargan, the Scorpion. Possible contender for Homecoming 2 villain?

As for Mary Jane, I don't think Zendaya's her. What I'm hoping they could do (assuming not but you never know) is that they already secretly cast her and Aunt May's going to try and tell Peter something the whole movie, that she set him up for the big dance with her neighbor's niece. And the film ends with her at the door, "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

Kinda right and wrong here? http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/08/spider-man-homecomings-5-biggest-wtf-questions

Seems that her being called MJ is more of a nod than her actually being Mary Jane's character. You can't say she's MJ Watson from the comics, but then again, you can't really say that for Flash, Liz, or pretty much everybody besides Peter.

Make of it what you will I guess.

This'll be a favorite of mine from all superhero movies. Might be better than Spider-Man 2, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just hit all the right moments and themes, even if it wasn't comic-faithful, it 100% felt like Spider-Man. I'm really happy they included the scene with him lifting all the wreckage in the warehouse, that was a nod to one of his biggest moments in the comic when he was at his lowest point.

My favorite thing about all this? It seems like it's getting people excited for Spider-Man again. That means more to me than anything.

Saw the movie opening night, but haven't gotten around to laying out my thoughts here.

[spoiler=Really happy with this movie!]I know people were worried that Iron Man would play too much of a role in this, and while I can accept that the general idea is off-putting, I think it worked in the context of this movie. This wasn't "Iron Man 4 featuring Spider-Man", it felt more like Iron Man passing the torch to Spider-Man. I especially liked when Tony remarked "I sound like my dad." He wants Peter to be a better hero than he was, which works for both characters.

Vulture was awesome. Easily one of my favorite villains in the entire MCU, given his connections to Tony and Peter. It felt like the film was succeeding where Iron Man 2 failed, as it gave us more of a reason to sympathize with him for being screwed over by Stark Industries. Plus, once he answered the door, everything after that was great to watch. It showed a certain humanity to the character, and that added to his appeal.

And finally, onto Peter himself. With the way he's portrayed in the comics right now, I was really afraid of having one more media where he's portrayed as incompetent, but I can forgive this movie, because he's still in his early days. The movie exceeded my expectations, since it's about Peter growing and coming into his own, which is exactly why Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. The scene where Peter is buried under rubble was a perfect reference to the comics, as the visuals behind it are the best proof of Peter pushing through even as the odds are against him.

best movie of the year but not the best movie ever

if i were to rank all the Homecoming film series

it would be 

1) Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior

2) Homecoming

3) The Homecoming

4) The Homecoming II

5) Prom Queen: The Homecoming

Spiderman is like somewhere in the top 10

Archived