[Finished]CC Monthly Series [December 2016] - JUDGING

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Alright then, only Nai needs to submit something and everything's good. (Nai, you have until tomorrow night my time, or roughly 5 pm Friday on your end)

(Hopefully I grade these before Christmas; I tend to take a while b/c of coursework and other interests, but I'm on break so should be faster.)

Well, deadline's up [well, passed 77 minutes ago, but meh] and outside Nai (assuming you had work and stuff, and didn't have time [or you modified main post and I haven't checked]), everyone else submitted an entry. I'll get on with grading them tomorrow and at least having results up before Christmas Eve.

(Also have to run Postseason and design stuff for AGM among other stuff)

I would've loved to have this up BEFORE Christmas, but I've had some things to deal with. But yeah, grades are up.

[spoiler=Grades]

GRADING
B: 50
C: 35
O: 15
Total: 100

Draconus
B: 38
C: 25
O: 14
Total: 77

Well, it's another generic Level 9 Synchro for the pool, so suppose that does something (albeit more defensive). Thematically, the "draw 1" effect for everyone and changing sides works, but what I'm not really keen on is the full-on summon lock. I suppose it's there to make sure you don't abuse the heck out of any monsters you may draw (and most Decks do end up with this), but yeah, floodgates aren't really a good design a lot of the time.

EndUser
B: 40
C: 30
O: 14
Total: 84

Ohai searcher for evil Santa. But yeah, card is nice for protective purposes and ED stuff, including Synchro plays (mostly this); not going to be using it for too many Fusions [starve Venom would've been an option had it not locked Tokens from its summoning]. I don't think you needed a hard OPT on its activation, unless you're worried that the opponent will MST it on the first turn. There is the searching for Santa Claws, yes (and he is removal), but probability you'll get to this card in multiples (or Terraforming to search it otherwise) isn't that high. Thematically. it works.

Dova
B: 35
C: 25
O: 15
Total: 75

I see you decided to really take Santa Claws's origin, didn't you? But yeah, it's a quick version of Kaijus that also screws over hand advantage. I guess the banish works in-flavor considering what the Krampus does (punish the opponent for being greedy with hand advantage, if they have it), but otherwise iffy on this being removal and hand killing. The opponent can use stuff to return stuff to proper owners and have it kill YOU instead, but who runs Remove Brainwashing and stuff nowadays?

Stats make some sense too, as they are an inversal of Santa Claws (well, 25/12 is how you guys in Australia and those who use the British system of writing dates denote Christmas.)

TheKing070701
B: 32
C: 18
O: 12 (the destruction immunity should go first, then opponent gets a draw; also should be a "when" effect, but will need to check on this one b/c Konami again is inconsistent with wording at times)
Total: 62

Right off the bat, this thing is a Level 6 CyDra w/out restriction on summoning. Sure, the opponent gains 1000 LP if you do it, but what is to stop you from combo'ing up with this card. I guess it does punish the opponent for overextending their monster boards (and chances are that they'll already have their big bosses out with little more support for this to build off of). Destruction protection is fine, I guess (supposedly because you are giving the opponent a free draw). Card really needed a hard OPT on its CyDra clause.

Major's Shadow
B: 48
C: 34
O: 15 (first Type should be capitalized, but minor)
Total: 97

(I'm probably going to ask where you got the pic from, because I may want to use it for another card [if I can't find it from scanning Google Images...])

Beast decks aren't really doing much nowadays, but that aside, I suppose first effect would be useful for resetting stuff like Raccoon Tantan or something for more SSing (or just protect your stuff from getting attacked). Other effect does require that you have another Beast out after it goes to the Graveyard (suppose it gets killed or you Synchro Summon with spare stuff out), but revival is always appreciated for them. For what it's worth, you could just revive the other monster you used to Synchro Summon [if you did send this to the grave via that method]. Yeah, I wish I could find a more competitive aspect for this card, but Konami gave them the short end of the stick in terms of actually good stuff. I guess you got Ojamas and Raccoons, but Beast decks need more to make it. As-is, card is proficient enough for what it does.

Thematically, it's a reindeer, which is technically linked to Christmas nowadays (even though they do exist outside the holiday [in the Arctic]; you can thank Rudolph/friends for making them symbols)

[Part of me would've loved to have graded this using Rudy's voice like I did for Postseason, but that'd be too hard on me]

Yuuji
B: 39
C: 22
O: 12.5
Total: 73.5

So basically, a PoG-esque effect with Exciton conditions (and halved damage for you) or free draw w/out drawbacks if opponent decides to pop it carelessly (or Double Cyclone fodder, however relevant that is). I suppose the no damage to the opponent doesn't really hurt you much, since chances are that you won't be burning them back anyway, and halved damage on your end is fine. Thematically, not sure what to make of it; card appears to be giving YOU a gift, but I suppose the reverse is coming from the opponent not taking damage afterwards (unless you ram something into their 'mons to do this for whatever reason).

Caláin
B: 46
C: 34
O: 15 (forgot a comma after the OPT, but that's really minor and otherwise card is understandable)
Total: 95

Well, it's basically one-time attack negation per turn and grants each player some LP, so that's generally fine. I suppose you could use it to stop a big chunk of damage for a while, but nowadays, a lot of Decks can field big monsters that render the small LP bonus moot. As a whole, it does reflect the holidays by preventing some damage once per turn, even if that role falls on the one getting attacked. I suppose that's not really a big factor in terms of application.

For competitive, not sure how often this would be used (but blame the power creep) but as a whole, design is fine.

If you have questions, ask.

(Now if you excuse me, I have another tournament that I need to go finish running)

Well, you did have until December 22nd to edit the effect if you thought it'd be OP'd (but you would've had to tell me if you made edits).

I did plan on pre-grading the cards early so I wouldn't be making you guys wait almost a week (especially when the holiday this contest was themed on ended several days ago; then again, YCM Christmas doesn't end until the lights go down and that's usually a good while).

Well, Beast decks do need a consistency boost to be relevant; Konami seems to like stroking themselves with their dragons (see Zarc and some other stuff this generation, also BEs), magicians (whatever Yuya stuff) and machines (Kozmos), among other things. 

Still need more to be viable, but at least it's something to get them running. Granted, it does clash a bit with some of the Level 2s (I think Uniflora, but that one has a different application); then again, it probably wouldn't hurt them anyway. (Konami, when are we getting a Beast deck that's actually good [unless you really want me to release the set files for YGOPro for Flyers (pretty sure they could use your card to some extent)])

-----

But yeah, if anyone has any questions about the grading, you have the next couple hours to say something. 

Yeah, you guys had enough time to contest grades, so might as well end this before this extends into 2017.

1st - Major's Shadow

2nd - Calain

3rd - EndUser

4th - Draconus

Points have been awarded, so only the reps are left. 

Thanks to all of you who participated, and congrats to the winners. 

--------

I would've liked to say this earlier, but hope you all had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2017. 

Archived