Sleep Away! Sleep Archetype! [Written]

Fukato

Bored at this time. So I made this up!

[spoiler=Monsters]

R.E.M. Sleeper

EARTH Psychic Level 1 Tuner

0/0

Effect: Must be Special Summoned using a card effect. If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; negate its effects, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the target's ATK +100 until the End Phase. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Set 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card directly from your Deck.

[spoiler=Spells]

R.E.M. Stage

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Special Summon 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only activate 1 "R.E.M. Stage" per turn.

N.R.E.M. Stage 1

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: If an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: Target that attacking monster; Special Summon 1 "R.E.M Sleeper" from your hand or Graveyard with its effects negated, and if you do, negate the attack, and if you do that, end the Battle Phase.

N.R.E.M. Stage 2

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: If your opponent activates a monster effect: Target 1 monster on the field; Special Summon 1 "R.E.M Sleeper" from your hand or Graveyard, and if you do, negate the effect, and if you do that, take control of the target until your next End Phase.

N.R.E.M. Stage 3

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: If you control no monsters: Discard 1 "R.E.M." card, then target 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, and if you do, all monsters your opponent controls have their effects negated until the End Phase, and if you do that, change them to Defense Position.

R.E.M. Pills

Quick-Play Spell Card

Effect: If you control a "R.E.M. Sleeper": Target 1 non-"R.E.M." monster you control; its Level becomes 6, and if you do, Set 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card directly from your Deck.

R.E.M. Experimental Lab

Field Spell Card

Effect: "R.E.M." monsters you control with 0 DEF cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can target 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" you control; send it to the Graveyard, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard.

[spoiler=Traps]

R.E.M. Night Terrors

Counter Trap Card

Effect: When your opponent Special Summons a monster or activates a Special Summoned monster's effect: Send 1 "R.E.M." monster you control to the Graveyard; negate that Summon or effect, and if you do, destroy it. Also, your opponent skips their next Draw Phase.

R.E.M. Sleepwalkers

Continuous Trap Card

Effect: Twice per turn, if a card or effect negates an opponent's monster effect: You can banish 2 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 monster on the field; negate its effect, and if you do, return it to the top of the owner's Deck. If this card is sent to the Graveyard, while you control a "R.E.M." monster: You can draw 1 card.

R.E.M. Insomnia

Normal Trap Card

Effect: Target 1 "R.E.M." monster you control; make your opponent's negated monsters ATK 0, and if you do, the targeted monster gains ATK equal to the opponent monster's highest original ATK +100. You can only use 1 "R.E.M. Insomnia" per turn.

R.E.M. Narcolepsy

Continuous Trap Card

Effect: During each Draw Phase: You can send 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your hand to the Graveyard, then your opponent randomly chooses 1 card in their hand; your opponent cannot activate cards or their effects with the same type (Monster, Spell, Trap) as the chosen card until the End Phase. You can only control 1 "R.E.M. Necrolepsy".

R.E.M. Sleep Deprivation

Continuous Trap Card

Effect: Once per turn: You can banish 1 "R.E.M." card from your Graveyard, then target 1 monster on the field; negate its effect until the End Phase, and if you do, your opponent draws 1 card. Once per turn, if a "R.E.M. Sleeper" is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 of your banished "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card to your hand, and if you do, shuffle 1 card in your hand into your Deck.

R.E.M. Rebound

Continuous Trap Card

Effect: If a "R.E.M. Sleeper" is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "R.E.M. Stage" Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand. During your Draw Phase, while you control a "R.E.M." card, before your normal draw: Your opponent declares 1 card type (Monster, Spell, Trap), and if the drawn card is the declared type, draw 1 more card in addition to your normal draw.

R.E.M. Paradoxical Sleep

Normal Trap Card

Effect: If a card or effect activates that would negate a monster effect: Destroy all Spell/Trap Cards on the field, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" from your hand or Graveyard.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

R.E.M. Insonmiac Sleeper

EARTH Psychic Level 7 Synchro

0/0

Effect: "R.E.M. Sleeper" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Cannot be destroyed by card effects. When this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can banish 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" from your Graveyard; negate the effects of all monsters your opponent controls until the End Phase, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to their combined original ATK +100 until the end of your opponent's next End Phase.

R.E.M. Sleep Paralysis Sleeper

0/0

All monsters your opponent controls whose effects are negated cannot declare an attack. This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. Once per turn, at the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: You can banish 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard; this card gains ATK equal to the opponent's monster's ATK +100 until the end of the Battle Phase.

R.E.M. Narcoleptic Sleeper

0/0

When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can randomly choose 1 card in your opponent's hand, and if it is a monster, Special Summon it to your side of the field, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the ATK of the Special Summoned monster +100. Also, while you control that monster, your opponent cannot activate the effect of monsters with the same Type.

R.E.M. Night Terror Sleeper

0/0

Once per turn: You can banish 1 "R.E.M." Trap Card from your hand; take control of 1 monster your opponent controls. If your opponent Special Summons a monster: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; destroy all Special Summoned monsters on the field.

R.E.M. Lucid Dreamer

EARTH Psychic Level 8 Synchro

0/0

Effect: "R.E.M. Sleeper" + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro Monsters

Negate the effects of all monsters your opponent controls and Pendulum Effects in their Pendulum Zones. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the End Phase, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the ATK of the target +100. While you control a "R.E.M. Sleeper", this card becomes unaffected by your opponent's card effects.

CnC? Please?

I love anything sleep themed! Napping is my passion, so I'm very happy to be able review these.

Okay so individual card reviews

Monsters

[spoiler=R.E.M. Sleeper]

Must be Special Summoned using a "R.E.M." card effect.

I know that this is to make it not able to be summoned by E tele, but is that necessary? I think it would be fine to give the archetype a bit of speed. Also, I'm not sure if it was your intent, but I'm pretty sure that this wording makes it so you can't normal summon it.

Once per turn: You can target 1 monster on the field; negate its effects, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the target's ATK +100.

This is pretty neat. I almost like this being an on summon type deal and have the spells not negate it's effect, but that's just me. If that doesn't fit with you then it's probably fine. My only problem is that there's no until end of turn type thing, which I know you probably did on purpose, but it doesn't sit well to have a 1 star monster become real big. I like the effect being negated forever, but maybe make the attack gain til end of turn?

If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can send 1 "R.E.M." card from your field to the Graveyard, then add 1 "R.E.M."Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

I like the search type deal, but I don't know how often this archetype has any cards on the field besides S/T cards. I don't really know if I like sacrificing backrow for it, feel? After seeing Pills, why not just make it a set search and not have the send?

Spell/Traps

I'd just like to say that I love how simple the naming conventions are.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Stage]

I have nothing to say about this one.

[spoiler=N.R.E.M. Stage 1]

If an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: Target that attacking monster; Special Summon 1 "R.E.M Sleeper" from your hand or Graveyard with its effects negated, and if you do, negate the attack and end the Battle Phase.

Just a little bit of PSCT, it should probably be an "and if you do" between the negate the attack and end the BP thing. I know it was because there was already one with the summon between that, but it still needs to be rewritten I think. I like the feeling of the card overall though, and I like the mechanical flavor. My only other thing is that I would want to leave it's effects not negated. (I still like the on summon version of Sleeper if you go for that, but I understand if that's not how you want it.)

[spoiler=N.R.E.M. Stage 2]If your opponent activates a monster effect: Target 1 monster on the field; Special Summon 1 "R.E.M Sleeper" from your hand or Graveyard with its effects negated and if you do, after that effect resolves, take control of the target until your next End Phase.

I like the idea, but I feel like this wouldn't feel very good to play. Steal effects always feel nice, but letting the effect go off kinda feels bad. As for its balance, I think that it's slightly underwhelming.

[spoiler=N.R.E.M. Stage 3]During your opponent' End Phase, if you control no monsters: Discard 1 "R.E.M." card, then target 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, and if you do, all monsters your opponent controls have their effects negated until the End Phase, and if you do that, change them to Defense Position.

I don't like the activation timing no this one, just 'cause it makes it kind of pointless to make it a Quick-Play. Also, even though it definitely works, it's gonna' be confusing to players that it activates at the end phase then also ends at the end phase ('cause they might think that it activates then immediately ends). This one is also a card that feels kind of bad to play. Most of the time you can't even activate this card since you need a Sleeper in the Grave to do so (like with Lumina). As for the balance, it also feels underwhelming. You could probably remove the end phase thing and have it be fine. I also think it should be a "summon and if you do" (without having to target) like with stage 2, just 'cause the Lumina/Zombie Master style is poor card design in my opinion.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Pills]If you control a "R.E.M. Sleeper": Target 1 non-"R.E.M." monster you control; its Level becomes 6, and if you do, Set 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card directly from your Deck.

Heh. non-R.E.M. I don't know if that was an intentional pun, but I had a giggle.

I love the last line. Setting instead of adding gives your opponent a way to interact and makes it so that you have less timing. I think it's an excellent way to balance the inherently powerful effect of searching. Why not add this to Sleeper instead of the discard? It would make the powerlevel really nice if you made the negate until end of turn as well (or even without doing that). My problem with this card is the first half of it. While I love the set search, I feel like the level change is piggybacking off of that, instead of being a good effect on its own. I like the search a lot more if it was a Breakthrough Skill type banish effect with an "except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard" clause. I feel like the powerlevel would even be fine if the card stole the monster as well, but forced you to synchro immediately after. You already need to control Sleeper, and if you made the search delayed I think it would be fine and fit the feel/flavor of the archetype.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Night Terrors]When your opponent Special Summons a monster or activates a Special Summoned monster's effect: Send 1 "R.E.M." monster you control to the Graveyard; negate that Summon or effect, and if you do, destroy it.

I like it, but I feel like you might want to make this a counter-trap.

Also, your opponent skips their next Draw Phase.

I'm hesitant about effects like this, but I think it works well here. As someone who has night terrors, I think this kind of fits that state where you can't be consoled and have no idea what's happening. As much as I hate my actual night terrors, the flavor is nice.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Sleepwalkers]If a card or effect negates an opponent's monster effect: All "R.E.M." monsters gain 700 ATK.

This is fine balance wise, but I feel like it doesn't fit with the aesthetic or mechanical flavor of the archetype. Isn't the archetype focused on not having many monsters? I get that the attack increase works flavor wise, but I feel like it should be something different.

Once per turn: You can banish 2 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 monster on the field; negate its effect, and if you do, shuffle it into the Deck, and if you do that, the owner draws 1 card.

I don't really like this effect with the rest of the card, mostly because I don't like that it triggers the rest of the card. It's not that it's too strong if it triggers itself, just that it doesn't make for fun gameplay. I feel like there's a few ways to do this. You could

(A) Make it so that it is a trigger that when one is negated it does the shuffle thing.

(B) Make it so that the first effect doesn't trigger on negating.

© Change it up a bit more.

Personally, I like ©. I would make it match with the draw denial sort of by just putting the monster (wording it monster(s) to go with the synchro effects) on top of the deck and not giving a draw. That also has the flavor that the monster "went sleepwalking". I kind of like making it trigger when an effect is negated by a R.E.M. card, then just does the top deck thing. I'm not sure an attack boost thing is necessary unless it goes with the +100 convention that you've established. Maybe you could add a banish from grave (like Breakthrough Skill and friends) effect or trigger when sent to the grave? I'd like it if it banished to negate a single attack and summon a Sleeper from your hand or Grave or both or something.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Insomnia]Activate only while you control a "R.E.M." monster.

This isn't really necessary since you have to send a R.E.M. as a cost, so you need to control one regardless. I'd just cut this.

Send 1 "R.E.M." monster you control to the Graveyard; your opponent takes damage equal to all their negated monsters combined original ATK.

I just don't know about this. I get that the archetype can get aggressive with the synchros, but I don't like effects that lead to cheesy OTKs without interaction. Besides that, Insomnia sorta feels strange to me here along with the damage effect. Maybe something like "R.E.M. Sudden Waking" but less poorly worded. I'd probably rather have you change the effect to match the name, but that's up to you. If you do want to change the effect, I'd make it something like lowering an opponents monsters attack and increasing your monsters by that much +100 (with a banish effect to make up for lost card advantage?). Or maybe negating an attack and making a R.E.M. monster you control attack twice during your next turn? Or the attack type deal could be the banish effect and you could do something else for the main effect. I feel like it should be something that denies something to either monsters or your opponent, to match the "Insomnia" type deal.

You can only use 1 "R.E.M. Insomnia" per turn.

I feel like if you have to hard once per turn a card because of cheesy OTK shenanigans, then that's a bit worrying, dig?

Extra Deck

[spoiler=R.E.M. Insomniac Sleeper]Cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Fun. I almost feel like it would match flavor if it couldn't be targeted instead or as well as this.

When this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard to your hand.

Nice. If you go with the set search thing, then you might want to do it here, but I think even if you do that this is fine. It's up to your personal preference.

Once per turn: You can banish 1 "R.E.M. Sleeper" from your Graveyard; negate the effects of all monsters your opponent controls until the End Phase, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to half their combined original ATK until the end of your opponent's next End Phase.

I like the mass negate, but I'd almost prefer a "once per turn, during either players turn" negate type deal on a single target, with the attack boost being permanent or something? If you did that you could remove the banish from grave clause. If you'd like to keep it all of them, I think it would be fine to make it the full attack, because banishing the key monster is a hefty price to pay. I do prefer the quick effect version without a cost and a permanent boost. Maybe you could make it need an opponents monster for the non-tuner, and you could up the power if you do. Oooh, maybe if you did that you could make Insomnia a steal effect and it would be real tasty flavor.

[spoiler=R.E.M. Sleep Paralysis Sleeper]All monsters your opponent controls whose effects are negated cannot declare an attack.

This flavor is tasty.

This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls.

You need to add "once each" for PSCT.

At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles an opponent's monster: You can banish 1 "R.E.M." Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard; this card gains ATK equal to the opponent's monster's ATK +100 until the end of the Damage Step.

I feel like you could get away with making it a permanent buff or at least just til end of turn.

As a whole, the archetype has a fun aesthetic to it, but I feel like it might be a bit underwhelming and a bit frustrating to play because of that. It needs some fixes, but I can't wait to see what you do with it. Oh and sorry if I kind of rambled, I just had a lot of ideas 'cause it does have a lot of potential.

Sleeper: Okay, you’re going about this incorrectly in PSCT. Just say, “Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.” Anyway, this goes well in combination with cards like Goblindbergh, and can go for Level 5 Synchros afterwards, so I like it. The float effect is nice, and goes hand in hand with that effect too.

Stage: Simple enough, not much else to say. Kind of wish it was limited to the deck, as people might just use this as an easier One for One.

Stage 1: Glad that it requires some initial set-up by needing it in the Grave or hand, however, this should be a Trap. Also, it probably doesn’t need to target the attacking monster, since Battle Fader doesn’t need to either, so it’s fine as is.

Stage 2: Rather not fond of this card, as it allows you to take control of any monster, not just the monster you negated the effect of. I really think it should only work if you can Special Summon it from the hand, as from the Graveyard makes this too easy, and taking control of a monster for that long is also a bit too strong, especially seeing as you can do anything with the monster, including attacking or tributing it.

Stage 3: Pretty powerful, but fair by requiring discard (though you could make it require you to discard any card, not just “R.E.M.” cards), and having 1 in the Graveyard already.

Pills: Easier access to your Level 6 Synchros is nice, and being able to get access to your Level 7 Synchros is doubly so, especially with how awesome that toolbox is.

Experiment Lab: Battle protection is nice, kind of wish the second effect was a quickie though, as the disruption and targeting negation it offers would be wonderful.

Night Terrors: I think negating the effect or summon is good enough, skipping their Draw Phase in addition to that just seems mean.

Sleepwalkers: Too situational, requires you to negate an effect, requires you to banish 2 specific Spell/Traps, then you need to target a monster that can be targeted and hasn’t had its effect negated, to return to the top of the Deck. It’s not that it doesn’t fit the archetype, it just doesn’t really seem that splashable.

Insomnia: Again, bit too situational, especially since it’s a Trap that requires some precious set-up, among other things. Like the idea, but a lot less splashable.

Narcolepsy: Not really fond of this idea, as it reminds me of Shock Master, and while it can be destroyed, it still causes issues. I think it might fine, but at the very least make it require you control a R.E.M. monster too.

Sleep Deprivation: Hey look. It’s that thing I constantly suffer from. First effect, great stuff, while the cost isn’t much of a cost, still requires you to splash a R.E.M. engine in, similar to how “Obliterate!!!” requires you to splash in an “Exodia” engine, so it’s balanced. In fact, I don’t even think you need the part about your opponent drawing 1 card. Second effect is alright, but I think it’d be better as a float effect upon destruction, as constant recursion of Spell/Traps is a bit sacky, especially if you can get multiple of these on the field. I’d almost make it target a banished “R.E.M.” Spell/Trap Card.

Rebound: Think the recursion on this is a bit strong, but it is a Continuous Trap, so I think that balances it. Second effect is actually pretty cool, I like it, but you are putting the odds in your opponent’s favor by letting them call it, as they’ll probably call Spell/Trap, as you probably won’t have so many in the deck, and they get to know what card you drew.

Paradoxical Sleep: Again, too situational in my mind, but I guess it could make a decent side against Pendulum decks, or “Paleozoics”.

Insomniac Sleeper: Recovery on summon is great, however, quick mass negation of all monsters your opponent controls is a bit strong. Either make it have to target only 1 monster, or make it an ignition effect. Also, gaining ATK to their equal combined attack is also not encouraged, seeing as “Starved Venom Fusion Dragon”, and “Rise Falcon” both originally did this, but it was deemed too strong for the game cause it could lead to degenerate OTKs.

Sleep Paralysis: First effect is interesting, though seeing as this has built in battle protection by being able to boost past them, it seems unneeded, still nice thought. I like multi-attackers, and that this can clear the field for direct attacks by your other monsters, so it gets my love.

Narcoleptic Sleeper: Stealing an opponent’s monster from their hand is a bit strong, I’d consider making it so that it just send the card to the Graveyard. Also, that second effect, while unique, is kind of overpowered, steal a RR card, or any archetype reliant on one-type of monster, they might as well scoop. I’d consider making it so that they can’t activate the effects of those monsters until the end of the next turn.

Night Terror Sleeper: Non targeting stealing is kind of strong, I’d at least make it target as the cost somewhat justifies this ability, thought I might make it have a HOPT, so it won’t be possible to spam these out and snatch steal your opponent’s entire field. Second effect in the Grave seems a bit strong, I know a lot of archetypes go off from being destroyed, but this much mass destruction on an already good effect seems like a bit much. Maybe make it just so that it can destroy a SS’d monster.

Lucid Dreamer: Too much in my case. Mass, continuous negation of effects, Big Eye, and Moon Mirror Shield is ridiculous altogether. Turbo’ing this out turn 2 would not be too difficult. I think just having the mass negation, and OPT it can target 1 monster, and gain its ATK + 100 would be enough. Most removal is offered by monster effects, so the last clause seems unnecessary since you’re negating those.

Overall: Interesting idea for a splashable tuner, unfortunately not too many cards to make your monsters Level 6 to go into them, which is unfortunate, but I still like the idea of it, and I look forward to your future archetypes.

Archived