[MtG] 12/12 Aether Revolt Spoilers

Delibirb

Not sure how many cards we're getting today, and we'll only be getting bits each monday until Spoiler week actually begins (On Jan. 2nd I believe). But here's #1.

consulaterepression.jpg

Consulate Repression

Enchantment

When Consulate Repression enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts your opponents control until Consulate Repression leaves the battlefield. 

My Kurkesh deck sheds a tear in fear, as all of my local edh buddies slide this into their white decks.

Seems pretty bad in standard unless Metalwork Colossus decks pick up some serious steam. Decent card for EDH -- it would strike me as worse than a card like Dust to Dust, if it wasn't a serious wombo combo with Mycosynth Lattice, but if you're not running Lattice, you probably shouldn't play this, either.

First off, unplayable in Standard: there simply aren't enough decks that play so many artifacts such that this'll be necessary.

For EDH, the closest existing comparison I can make to this card is Hixus, Prison Warden, and there's a reason he doesn't see play. He exiles stuff all at once, but it's trivially easy to get it back by killing him. If I'm removing stuff en masse, I'd rather just drop one more mana to play Merciless Eviction or something similar.

Despite its inherently temporary nature, Oblivion Ring/Banishing Light/Quarantine Field is good because it can hit any nonland. The flexibility is what makes those cards work, and this doesn't have that.

In general, perhaps not. But I suspect that at my local edh metagame, this will see play. My Kurkesh deck has all of 5 spells that aren't artifacts, and it's the second most powerful/feared deck there, succeeded only by by another guy's Kaalia deck. Now neither sees play more than once a night, if even that, but they know my deck has very little ability to remove enchantments. In fact, it's pretty much limited to my Lux Cannon, so if that's exiled under this, or they have removal/countermagic on hold for it, this could be damaging.

Of course, unless they're exiling my engine pieces and given I either don't play my engine pieces unless I can do them all at once, and following that, I can respond to this casting by killing it's owner, it's not a guaranteed loss for me. But it could be; it's certainly detrimental.

Not to sound like a dick, but that is $100% your problem.

[spoiler=because i am such a helpful guy]

fNb9txd.jpgctGJTUX.jpg6s2copQ.pngUya2ywx.jpglONsTzi.pngifudsiQ.pnga4PUwq0.pngYbtxCBr.jpgsUn7jpN.jpgjfztaZp.jpgvI4HIbO.png615onv8.pngN2ZIVcU.pngPQcUXWn.pngpUqM1Su.png2j1FyKQ.pngJ7T6WIR.pngrqu143M.pngSNr8QDw.jpgFjqHZCY.png

I didn't say it wasn't; it's how I like to play Kurkesh. I intentionally didn't want many non-artifact spells, and I wanted mostly artifacts that got a major value-boost with Kurkesh, with little exception. This eventually turned him into a streamlined combo deck, with not a lot of disruption, because it frequently is either fast enough to not need it or, as I said, the disruption can't target what actually matters, because I keep it safe and out of the way until the former becomes true, and this has worked exceptionally well for me, as I mentioned. I do have Unstable Obelisk, Steel Hellkite, Nevinyrral's Disk, and as I said, Lux Cannon, and one or two others that I'm likely forgetting, but I only mentioned Lux Cannon because it's the most efficient, staying on the board and being able to target any specific permanent (though frequently two, or more if I've gone infinite of course).

So while I appreciate you not intending to sound impolite, I never insinuated the card was unfair, in fact not only did I mention one card that I could handle it with, but I brushed it off as only being potentially detrimental, if not merely a nuisance. Thus your comment was delivered in an unnecessarily matter-of-fact manner.

If you want to blow up a bunch of artifacts in white Austere Command is a much better option. It doesn't exile so it can't deal with indestructible stuff, but it gets most of the job done and it has 3 other very good modes. Not to mention if you have WB Merciless Eviction is pretty much strictly better.

not to say this doesn't suck, but both of those cards you named are symmetrical, while this is not.

not to say this doesn't suck, but both of those cards you named are symmetrical, while this is not.

I caught that after making the post. While it does help this card, it isn't that big a deal breaker. If you need to pull the trigger its going to be worth it, even if it costs you some stuff. Not to mention the golden rule of "you can play around your own cards".

As I said before, this card would be much more notable if vandalblast didn't fill the same niche while also just being a really funking good card.

Basically my point as well. If your deck hasn't folded with Vandalblast already in the format, you'll be fine. (But I laugh at any mono-red deck that isn't already running Chaos Warp.)

Archived