Sceptyr's Support: Super Quantal Sect (6/?)

Black D'Sceptyr

The Blades of Change Workshop is coming (back) to you with yet another deep dive into an undersupported Archetype, and the posts of pixelated products that'll take them to the next level (or Rank, what have you:) SUPER QUANTALS! 

Yes, this deck is actually okay in terms of disruption, but demands so much hand consumption for their bosses they often underwhelm the field. Especially in this concluded-by-turn-0, all-purpose-effect-triggers-on-everything-short-of-sneezing, Kaiju-and-Ignister-infected format we all know and toil under today. So here are some cards that may help to give you that extra edge in a hurry, along with some new Xyzes to take advantage of them!

Enjoy, lads and ladies.

(also, the first 2 were winning 1v1 contest entries, so happy birthday to me.)

super_quantum_black_layer_by_bdsceptyr-d

[spoiler=Super Quantum Black Layer: Info]

EARTH/Beast-Warrior-Type Effect Monster/Level 2/1000 ATK/800 DEF

Lore: When this card is discarded to activate a "Super Quant" card's effect: You can Special Summon this card. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can activate this effect; all "Super Quant" monsters you control will gain 500 ATK or 500 DEF, until the end of the next turn (your choice). If this card is sent to the Graveyard, except by being discarded: this turn, all "Super Quant" monsters you currently control cannot be destroyed by battle or a card effect once each. You can only use each effect of "Super Quantum Black Layer" once per turn.

super_quantal_mech_beast_tuskforce_by_bd

[spoiler=Super Quantal Mech Beast Tuskforce: Info]

EARTH/Machine-Type Xyz Effect Monster/Rank 2/1400 ATK/3200 DEF

Lore: 2 Level 2 "Super Quant" monsters
While this card has no Xyz Materials, it cannot attack directly. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and have it lose 500 DEF, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; it loses 1000 ATK and DEF. This effect can be activated during either player's turn, if this card has "Super Quantum Black Layer" as Xyz Material. Once per turn: You can attach 1 "Super Quantum" monster from your hand or field to this card as an Xyz Material.

super_quantum_mech_beast_pegaglide_by_bd

[spoiler=Super Quantum Mech Beast Pegaglide: Info]

LIGHT/Machine-Type Xyz Effect/Rank 1/0 ATK/0 DEF

Lore: 3 Level 1 monsters
Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Super Quanum Mech Beast Pegaglide" by using 1 "Super Quantal Fairy Alphan" you control as the Xyz Material. You can only use each of these effects of "Super Quantum Mech Beast Pegaglide" once per turn. 
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; take from your hand or Deck, 2 monsters with the same name, and attach both of them to 1 Xyz Monster you control as Xyz Materials. 
You can Special Summon 1 "Super Quantum" monster attached to this card as an Xyz Material, and if you do, you lose LP equal to its ATK.

super_quantal_mech_knight_magnum_by_bdsc

[spoiler=Super Quantum Mech Knight Magnum: Info]

LIGHT/Machine-Type Xyz Effect Monster/Rank 6/1800 ATK/1400 DEF

Lore: 3 Level 6 monsters
Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Super Quantal Mech Knight Magnum" once per turn by using 2 3 "Super Quant" Xyz Monsters whose total Ranks equal exactly 6 that you control and/or in your Graveyard as the Xyz Materials. (Xyz Materials attached to those monsters also become Xyz Materials on this card.) If Summoned this way, the following effect cannot be activated this turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; banish 1 Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck or from the Graveyards, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that monster's ATK, and if you do that, this card gains an equal amount of ATK, until the End Phase.

super_quantal_mech_prince_magnanimous_by

[spoiler=Super Quantal Mech Prince Magnanimous: Info]

LIGHT/Machine-Type Xyz Effect Monster/Rank 9/2700 ATK/ 2300 DEF

Lore: 3 Level 9 monsters
Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Super Quantal Mech Prince Magnanimous" by using 3 "Super Quant" Xyz Monsters whose total Ranks equal exactly 9 that you control and/or in your Graveyard as the Xyz Materials. (Xyz Materials attached to those monsters also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; shuffle 1 face-up card and 1 Set card on the field into the Deck. Once per turn, if a Rank 6 or higher Xyz Monster(s) you control is sent to the Graveyard, or a "Super Quant" Spell/Trap Card is activated: You can Special Summon 1 "Super Quantum" monster from your Main Deck (even if this card is no longer face-up on the field).

UPDATE 1: 

super_quantal_pixie_omegas_by_bdsceptyr-

[spoiler=Super Quantal Pixie Omegas: Info]

DARK/Fiend-Type Effect Monster/Level 1/0 ATK/0 DEF

Lore: You can send 1 "Super Quantum" monster you control to the Graveyard, except an Xyz Monster: Special Summon 1 Rank 5 or lower Machine-Type Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck with the same Attribute as the sent monster, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. While you control a "Super Quantal Mech Ship" or "Super Quantal Mech Beast" card: You can take 3 "Super Quant" Spell/Trap Cards from your Deck, your opponent randomly adds 1 of those cards to your hand, and you shuffle the other cards into the Deck. You can only use each effect of "Super Quantal Pixie Omegas" once per turn.

BDS, signing off.

WITH THIS (been such a while since I did this, but since we're talking "new twists on old classics"...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDCHA2FyV_0

While the choice of artwork is excellent and the cards themselves follow in-line with Quantums as a set, I feel like these cards fall short of being the support the deck really needs, and I'll explain why.

Black Layer borders on the OP by a big degree. His first effect, while not really anything fantastic in particular, can be readily abused in a combo deck that looks for any little thing to compensate its costs. However, the biggest issue is its last effect. Being sent also speeds up the process of summoning Magnus by many degrees faster by turning 1 Xyz Summon into 2 into 3 because now it can be used as a material itself. It becomes a major combo piece in setting up in multiple ways, and honestly just leads to enabling too much. Not to mention, between the attack boost, the self-summon, and the mech summon, there doesn't seem to be any cohesion between the effects and the card as a whole feels like it's trying to do too much. Black Layer needs to go back to the drawing board, in all honesty.

Speaking of all over the place, I have similar sentiments for Tuskforce. It, as a card, feels like it's not sure which niche it wants to fill and tries to tackle two at once, between non-destruction removal and effect negation. I think for this mech, it would be best to focus on one and develop into it more.

I'm not sure how else you expect the Quantum player to summon Pegaglide beyond Black Layer. The deck doesn't swarm monsters of the same level, as per its strategy, and Alphan isn't a Super Quantum monster (which is what Magnacarrier uses its overlay effect on). As for the attach effect, absolutely not. Great Magnus is nigh unstoppable with enough materials for too many decks, and in the current Quantum state it's supposed to be a card that requires a great deal of effort to achieve full power, which is its "balancing" factor. Making an Xyz monster that lets just dump 3 more mats into its ammo reserves is ridiculous, and considering how the deck already works, this card isn't doing anything that the deck already needs beyond promoting a more degenerate strategy of locking down with Magnus.

Regarding Magnum and Magnanimous, these cards not only feel incredibly unneeded for the archetype, but ABC Buster Dragon should have been evidence that having an inherent alternate summon on an Extra Deck monster that uses materials from the grave is a bad idea. Not only that, the game doesn't need something like Magnanimous the allows a player to super-simplify the gamestate with themselves at the advantage.

Honestly, you hit a lot of marks with flavor, artwork, and designs; but these cards fall very short not only in the balance area (so many of these being crazy), but also in that none of these feel like this support really understands what Quantums need. Quantums died because Emergency Teleport died; the deck completely lacks anything in the S/T department for consistency or to help keep plays rolling. Not only that, the deck needs more support for the existing Mech Beasts; something to make those more viable as the mini-bosses they're meant to be. The deck already has a big-boss monster, it doesn't need more. Honestly, these need to be taken back to the drawing board and you really need to ask the big question of "What does this deck need, and how can I promote a more healthy playstyle beyond Magnus Turbo". If you need inspiration on how something like that can be done, you can look at the recent Yosenju support Konami made in that one spell with the intention of promoting the Pendulum variant over the stun variant.

While the choice of artwork is excellent and the cards themselves follow in-line with Quantums as a set, I feel like these cards fall short of being the support the deck really needs, and I'll explain why.

Black Layer borders on the OP by a big degree. His first effect, while not really anything fantastic in particular, can be readily abused in a combo deck that looks for any little thing to compensate its costs. However, the biggest issue is its last effect. Being sent also speeds up the process of summoning Magnus by many degrees faster by turning 1 Xyz Summon into 2 into 3 because now it can be used as a material itself. It becomes a major combo piece in setting up in multiple ways, and honestly just leads to enabling too much. Not to mention, between the attack boost, the self-summon, and the mech summon, there doesn't seem to be any cohesion between the effects and the card as a whole feels like it's trying to do too much. Black Layer needs to go back to the drawing board, in all honesty.

Speaking of all over the place, I have similar sentiments for Tuskforce. It, as a card, feels like it's not sure which niche it wants to fill and tries to tackle two at once, between non-destruction removal and effect negation. I think for this mech, it would be best to focus on one and develop into it more.

I'm not sure how else you expect the Quantum player to summon Pegaglide beyond Black Layer. The deck doesn't swarm monsters of the same level, as per its strategy, and Alphan isn't a Super Quantum monster (which is what Magnacarrier uses its overlay effect on). As for the attach effect, absolutely not. Great Magnus is nigh unstoppable with enough materials for too many decks, and in the current Quantum state it's supposed to be a card that requires a great deal of effort to achieve full power, which is its "balancing" factor. Making an Xyz monster that lets just dump 3 more mats into its ammo reserves is ridiculous, and considering how the deck already works, this card isn't doing anything that the deck already needs beyond promoting a more degenerate strategy of locking down with Magnus.

Regarding Magnum and Magnanimous, these cards not only feel incredibly unneeded for the archetype, but ABC Buster Dragon should have been evidence that having an inherent alternate summon on an Extra Deck monster that uses materials from the grave is a bad idea. Not only that, the game doesn't need something like Magnanimous the allows a player to super-simplify the gamestate with themselves at the advantage.

Feels like an eternity since I got back to the Advanced forum. ANYWAYS, to your review. 

Super Quantum Black Layer: yeah, even though I won a 1vs1 with this and Tuskforce, I've always wanted to change the effects. So now, this works on both stat boosting and protection, alsoffering blanket protection the Beasts so often need. Still won't help against the Ignisters and ABC's of the world, but everything else should suffice. 

Super Quantal Mech Beast Tuskforce- This needed some tweaking too, but with the original stat comparison of the Mech Beasts (+400 to ATK, -400 to DEF as the Ranks ascend) I had to put in some more pressing limitations within Tuskforce. Balance still matters here, especially with a 3200 DEF 2-mat Rank 2. 

Super Quantum Mech Beast Pegaglide- Really remodeled the card here, as assisting Magnus's power will either make this card inadequate or Magnacarrier obsolete, and I'm not sure which is worse. So now this card can be Summoned with 1 mat-it's pilot the Fairy Alphan- and has effects to refuel the other Beasts (giving them Materials) or to Summon out the pilots to get them out of their exploding mech's harm's way. Recoverability's so crucial to this game. 

Which is unfortunately why, besides, changing the effects of the Knight and Prince to keep them from abusing the Graveyard (you now need to banish Xyzes to activate their abilities now), the Summoning abilites stay on as is, mainly because (A) its made to simulate the Mech Ship Magnacarrier bringing out Magnus, (B) that flooding the board with Xyzes is limited by your own Extra Deck too, considering the specific blend of Super Quantal Xyzes you'll need to summon each (3 to summon a Rank 6 or 9 that equal that Rank? Usually, that's Pegaglide-Tuskforce-Granpulse for 6 or  Tuskforce-Granpulse-Aeroboros for 9.)

But © has to do with the fact that this Level of field presence is actually kinda what they need. The number of ways to quick-Summon their chief tutor going from  6 to 4 (counting Alphan in this example) is not what killed SQ- going -4 hand-wise AT LEAST to summon a boss that'll likely go down the second TributeOverAllTheThings.dek gets a whiff of it is what killed it. Woulda killed Raidraptors too, but they had something I'm trying to give Quants-recoverability, through 1 of the 2 cards they can use to summon their boss Xyz, even!  

P.S. A format where a deck that features an unaffected 3500 ATK beast that negates, stat-drains if your opponent has monsters, burns if they don't, and can bring back that monster with the Spell Card that brought it out if it dies ISN'T. TOP. TIER. Is NOT a format that gives three licks of a Toostie Pop about "healthy playstyles". Like, I'm not ragging on you, you're doing this out of genuine concern and I ALWAYS respect output like that but everytime somebody plays Pot of Desires-the healthy playstyle's cyanide capsule-I keep getting a picture of that clip in GX where Yu-Gi-Oh's favorite masosadist Zane Truesdale chucks out his whole Deck to activate Cyberdark Dragon's effect. It's literally this state we're in now, and I'm trying to ensure Quantum survives long enough in the over-on-turn-0-game to get to the heights I know they can get to.

Anyways, thanks for the review, and I've even added up another Main Deck Super Quantal monster to boot for them now, if you're okay with that.

In other words, (let's do the) Time Warp again. 

Archived