In Japanese? I guess I understand about 50-70% outside of a duel.

[spoiler=Episode 4]

Called Go's disguise.

Seriously what happened to that guy Ignis ate.

I'm liking how even during a duel, side characters are being proactive and doing their own things. Even the pieces of commentary audience members give are fairly interesting. And there are multiple plots spinning out at the same time. I'm enjoying this.

It seems you can read your opponent's card effects. So that was a fun meme while it lasted. We'll probably still have people taken completely by surprise by card effects though.

...Like Go with Cyverse Wizard. Did he not even watch Yuusaku's duel? C'mon, man, that's the bare minimum you could do to prepare for a fight with an unknown element. Yuusaku has an AI literally googling him here. Don't tell me all he did in the way of preparation was fall off a surfboard.

Are we not going with the summoning chants anymore? No way, you can't do this to me. I'm not accepting over-the-top animations in exchange either.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Japanese? I guess I understand about 50-70% outside of a duel.

[spoiler=Episode 4]

Called Go's disguise.

Seriously what happened to that guy Ignis ate.

I'm liking how even during a duel, side characters are being proactive and doing their own things. Even the pieces of commentary audience members give are fairly interesting. And there are multiple plots spinning out at the same time. I'm enjoying this.

It seems you can read your opponent's card effects. So that was a fun meme while it lasted. We'll probably still have people taken completely by surprise by card effects though.

...Like Go with Cyverse Wizard. Did he not even watch Yuusaku's duel? C'mon, man, that's the bare minimum you could do to prepare for a fight with an unknown element. Yuusaku has an AI literally googling him here. Don't tell me all he did in the way of preparation was fall off a surfboard.

Are we not going with the summoning chants anymore? No way, you can't do this to me. I'm not accepting over-the-top animations in exchange either.

We have attack names still though, that's very anime though and probably will never leave the series.

[spoiler=EP4]

Well, at least we get a duel, even if it starts only halfway through the episode and doesn't even finish. I find it silly that the only reason Gouki work for Go is because of the Skill, otherwise he would probably have been screwed. I like that we are already getting up to huge ATK as well. You can lock people into VRAINS like a prison, okay that's some scary Matrix sheet right there, how are people okay with this?

>"simulcast"

>thursdays 3:55 pm pdt

>show airs in japan wednesdays 2:25 am pdt

>crunchyroll takes 37 hours after the episode ends to get subtitles out

>pirates do it within the day

Reminder that Crunchyroll is for retarded idiots.

>"simulcast"

>thursdays 3:55 pm pdt

>show airs in japan wednesdays 2:25 am pdt

>crunchyroll takes 37 hours after the episode ends to get subtitles out

>pirates do it within the day

Reminder that Crunchyroll is for retarded idiots.

Oh no you have to wait an extra day to watch a show legally. What a hardship. That's not "retarded", that's supporting a website that contributes to the industry that makes these shows in the first place.

Oh no you have to wait an extra day to watch a show legally. What a hardship. That's not "retarded", that's supporting a website that contributes to the industry that makes these shows in the first place.

yeah crunchyroll's premium users can suck it, why should they expect paying money to give a better service than just pirating? they should be grateful they can support the anime industry tbh

If we're going to do the Legal VS Pirated Anime Dance again, my personal hot take is I'd rather not support the anime industry, but I've been already been paying for Crunchyroll Premium for years and torrenting sheet is kind of a bother, so I do it anyway. And that doesn't apply to Vrains, because I want there to be Yu-Gi-Oh! airing until the day I die, so I'm happy for the Vrains production committee to get the hundredth of a cent my view is worth.

[spoiler=Episode 4]

I can't keep doing these. There's just not enough content per episode for me to feel like I can talk about it. Onizuka's story is probably the shoddiest execution of that concept I've seen. Ummm...that's it. That's all I've got.

So we only get that theme for 2 months / 8 episodes (give/take a couple) and then a new ending. Wonder why the sudden change, as usually they last for about 20-30 episodes before going on (and usually to mark a new plot). Any word if the opening theme changes too, because Yugioh normally changes both themes at the same time; not like other anime that do it independently. 

As for supporting the anime industry, I'd buy the DVDs and stuff if they were available (original with subtitles) or if the dub wasn't shitty (and I'd probably consider watching it). Also because latter no longer airs on TV here.

So we only get that theme for 2 months / 8 episodes (give/take a couple) and then a new ending. Wonder why the sudden change, as usually they last for about 20-30 episodes before going on (and usually to mark a new plot). Any word if the opening theme changes too, because Yugioh normally changes both themes at the same time; not like other anime that do it independently.

As for supporting the anime industry, I'd buy the DVDs and stuff if they were available (original with subtitles) or if the dub wasn't shitty (and I'd probably consider watching it). Also because latter no longer airs on TV here.

The opening is going to stay for around 75 episodes or soemthing like that. I assume then the ending is going to be on regular rotation. I assume it'll be similar to how Dragon Ball Super changes its OP/EPs

Finally got around to catching up with episode 3 and 4 (was too busy last week)
As for the ending being retired in July, well then, that was fast. Wonder why that is. 

[spoiler=Thoughts on episode 3]
- So Playmaker had gained more popularity in Link VRAINS following his victory over the KoH, though not everyone was happy about it including Go
- Kek, that KoH guy got eaten by Ignis (Press F to pay your respects, lel)
- A couple of blokes had their accounts suspended following ignored warnings about Speed Duels, RIPerino
- Ema seems like she could be an interesting person
- Go turns down Akira's offer to take down Playmaker (He did want to duel him at the top of the episode though), but Akira leaves the door open at least
- It was amusing to see Ignis offer to make the cleaner a more intelligent AI
- Yeah, the Revolver scene with him on the dragon also confuzzled me a bit as well as I thought they were out of VRAINS.

[spoiler=Thoughts on episode 4]
- Even the kids at the orphanage that Go helps out at are into Playmaker, though they later cheer for Go (kids are sure quick to change their minds it seems)
- Not surprised Go would use a KoH disguise to draw out Playmaker after the latter's refusal to duel in episode 3
- People think Go's dueling style is outdated (Yeah entertainment dueling is so Arc-V, get with the times  :Kappa:  )
- Ofc Go (with Akira's help) would set up a program to force Playmaker to duel him. Not gonna lie the first thing I thought of was the Nightmare Steel Cage

There is one tiny concern I've had whilst watching the episodes (this was also the case in Arc-V as well), but it's so petty I shouldn't really be moaning about it. (Having said that, there were different subbers for 3/4 on the site I watched the episodes on)

I found it somewhere else; anime sites should have subs up by tomorrow. 

[spoiler=VRAINS 5]

• Go was warned that he'd only have enough power to wipe Yusaku to 100 LP, but still went for the attack anyway. I mean, he got close to an OTK, but yeah. Also loss of monsters to protect Great Ogre.
    • Least the kids still love him after this. 
  • Yusaku gets Link Bumper, and that enables the amount of BS he could do this episode (well, let Decode Talker attack multiple times while protected by Honeybot)
    • I guess this shows how much you can Link Summon in a single turn, but yeah. Link Spider first, then summon something (make Link 2 Bumper), then make Honeybot, then Link Spider / Honeybot into Decode; then revive using that Trap Yusaku had. 
    • Also suppose this is the first time in a while he actually smiled during a duel. 

(Note that I didn't translate everything that was said, but that's what I'm getting from the episode)

Hmm, and no script. IDK if none is available or wasn't posted.

i'm finding it a little hard to care about anyone in this show

given what happened in this weeks episode this should have been kinda hype inducing but it wasnt,it was just meh,i hope the rest of the show isn't like this

Maybe it doesn't help Yusaku's case that unlike the last five protagonists, he doesn't enjoy dueling and it took Go to disguise himself as KoH and SOL to lock the field to force him to do it. Last episode, he even stated "not interested" and proceeded to leave. So...we got a dry character who hates dueling for a protagonist of an anime that focuses on playing a card game.

Admittedly, as much as I disliked Yuya's mentality [and Deck] at times, at least he actually cared about playing and was engaging to an extent. The other main protags (from other series) were good. Yusaku...meh.

====

Then again, all we've been seeing lately [in full] are Speed Duels; not the Master Duels that we have to deal with here (well, 2 matches). Let's see; one with Yusaku vs KoH, and this one. We can only hope that the one with Aoi / Blue Angel is good, but yeah. 

I think Yusaku is dry from his memory loss. For some reason he is often very machine-like.

I can see him turning into a more standard protagonist after he recovers whatever background he lost.

There is actually a parallel in the memories of him and Ignis: Both are broken up.

He sort of looks at the charisma duelist posters and stays staring at them, as if his full being is meant to be interested, but his current state doesn't find the output for that weird sensation and he just goes back to whatever he was doing before, cutting off the moments rather abruptly and having him revert to his usual dryness.

In other words: Output not found.... He'll most likely change from a harsher Yusei to a less hyped Jaden eventually.

I hope they don't end up with a "chosen one" story because Yusaku's way of getting Ignis was purely on the plan's merit with some extra help that happened to jump in (Blue Angel's rescue and Ignis' cooperation). They should keep the concept of "I was clever, not chosen". Though it is likely he'll just be a "chosen" type due to his blurry memories most likely being part of something big for the plot down the road....

EDIT:

I confess I actually kinda want Go to beat Yusaku here. If Go had found a way to get the duel without SOL's help, that would have been easier to root for him. The only thing making me root for Yusaku at any amount is the fate of Ignis. If Ignis wasn't there (i.e. if the stakes didn't involve another character that I like better) I wouldn't have a reason to not go for Unizuka's side.

Though then again, Go's "comeback" is lame. He's not creating any real tension because all his monsters instantly float so we don't really see him being cornered to any degree here. Interesting comebacks seem to be hard to write... kind of like how Yuya's comebacks were often bullshit (against Sawatari's Yosenjus he drew like 4 cards after having everything bounced), depended on standard Action Cards (meh), or he flat out wouldn't do the "Ladies and Gentlemen!!!" encore until he saw his draw and realized it was good to go for an OTK. Prior to that, he wouldn't act to fake his despair in the slightest (very unprofessional... No wonder entertainment duels are going out of favor in VRAINS lol). Yusho and Dennis were better examples of legit escapes from being cornered so then again, it isn't like the concept is impossible to achieve.

[spoiler=EP5]

Alright, this was a pretty fun duel actually, Go didn't get much to really do throughout Yusaku's turn, true, but it showed that he can already create some crazy combos right of the bat, Yuya only used a few monsters at the beginning from what I remember. He also seems to be warming up to the idea of dueling his opponent as a challenge, rather than a means to an end, since he chose not to exit, I hope that they do this properly, because it could be very cliche otherwise. What I didn't like was that the children were super cool with it, meaning that it was pointless if he won or lost, but whatever. I don't remember Go's duel disk talking to him the last episode, it's funny that it's basically doing the math for him like a calculator you would have at a duel IRL.

[spoiler=Episode 5]

This episode has a good example of what a difference execution can make. We know going in Yusaku isn't going to take the escape route, because that's just how the world is (although him actually abandoning the duel would have been very interesting, because unlike any previous protagonist (except maybe Yusei), doing so wouldn't be out of character for him).

Here's what you don't do: Have everyone say "Okay Yusaku there's the exit" like five times, followed by a completely flat wide shot of him avoiding it, followed by a two minute monologue of him explaining why he did that, constantly interrupted by Ignis shouting "Cannot comprehend!" and "I'm a program and don't understand emotions even though I'm the most emotional character in the whole show!"

Here, this writer humbly submits, is what one might do instead. The exit appears in front of Yusaku, and he's flying right toward it. No one says anything because oh my god can people shut up in this show for just five seconds. Go sees the exit, but he's too far away to do anything about it, and he thinks about how Playmaker is a coward. There's a side-view shot of Yusaku going through the exit, but then the angle changes and you see he actually blew right past it. At the exact same time, he shouts, "Draw!" And the duel continues.

On a completely different wavelength oh my god the Link Summon animation is so tedious.

[spoiler=005 thoughts (sub)]

• AI asks Yusaku why he didn't negate Cobra's effect, but we find out that Yusaku did it only to trigger his Skill. Otherwise, he'd still have a ton of LP but not at the threshold to use Storm Access.
    • Can we just say Storm Access is the only reason Yusaku won (assuming he pulled out either Link Bumper or Cyberse Annihilation from the storm).
  • Yusaku's three reasons for not logging out.
    • He took on the duel, so he isn't ditching it. 
    • GO is actually competent
    • Yusaku wants to win after that. 
  • To be fair, Go probably could've won if he had used Cobra's effect (but then he wouldn't be able to Link Summon as efficiently, or his combo wouldn't work as well). I need to see how the alternate scenarios could've occurred, assuming Yusaku kept the same cards. 
  • Kusanagi suggested getting Go on their side to fight Hanoi, but Yusaku says "no, I don't want to get him involved". Maybe Go would be willing to help you, but if you don't ask, well...
    • That being said, we need to see if he can play without entertaining. Likely can. 
  • Kids still love Go even though he lost. (Well, Go at least got part of his agenda accomplished; get the kids to notice him again)
    • Akira probably isn't pleased, but give the man credit. Go almost had him, but blame Yusaku for lucksacking (uh, would that even work in this case) from the Data Storm whatever he got. (It's a harsh term, and almost no different than Yuya getting Action Cards to save his ass, but...)
    • Then again, we don't know if Yusaku could've won regardless, even if he didn't enter the Data Storm.

[spoiler=Episode 5]
On a completely different wavelength oh my god the Link Summon animation is so tedious.

[spoiler=response]
Yeah, I think it could've been shortened, or really the entire procedure in general; especially since Yusaku did this four times this episode. Probably would've been better if they skipped the summon condition part (and confirmation of arrow heads / Link Markers), and just mention what monsters are getting set into the Link Markers. 

[spoiler=Episode 5]

I agree with the Link Summon sequence being tiresome. I think it is the fact they are showcasing duels with the players moving through a steam and doing so in a server that can really go nuts with the location. Yet, the animation makes the character go into a window that temporarily exists said location and slows the pace of a scene for the arrows to be positioned.

Also, the Linking of Zones is not really showcased. Yes they showed us Yusaku Summoning 4 Links this duel, but from watching this duel as a new comer, I would not get the hint that he can only go into Links again thanks to the markers.... especially if it seems like the other Extra Deck mechanics are not even gonna get their existence acknowledged.

I actually like the rules of Duel Links format, but playing with the theme of speed is kind of counter productive for showcasing the mechanic of Links. I don't care about the shorter field size. I mean more so because we need a stationary field where the Link Summon animation wouldn't contrast so much with the characters surfing through energy, and where we get more of an appreciation of the field's locations. Not like we veterans need those "turn order works like this" intro tutorials from the past to be in every gen beginning, but newer people sure do need it.

So we didn't get to see what Yusaku pulled form the storm to get an idea of which ones he already had in his deck prior to meeting Ignis. I bet that it was very much intentional, between the non-Starter Deck Link Monster and Honeybot, it ought to be one of the two. Yusaku is most likely only going to be pulling out Extra Deck (Link) monsters, so yeah, no, never in the same level of asspull as Yuya's Action Cards or even any main character's destiny draw. He's not "drawing" into anything. He's just getting more toolbox potential. I can at least respect that a bit for now, before this gets overused and Yusaku's extra deck becomes bigger than Yuma's Numbers or Jaden's HERO Fusions....

Overall the duel was amusing and IMO enjoyable, though yes, they made the "not gonna escape" bit too obvious from a mile away. 

I would probably say in a couple episodes, but yeah, Revolver's supposed to be the main antagonist in here, but nothing much on his character thus far. Next two weeks are for developing Aoi and Trickstars (let's see what happens for her), and afterwards, we don't know. 

Or really, any mention of Knights of Hanoi in the foreseeable future. 

They need to start giving us more shots of the playing field.

They used to like doing it for no reason (especially 4Kids) but now it's actually important. It's really hard to discern what is linked to what, especially if you're going to be summoning and linking so much....

Archived